Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: 2022 SCOTUS rulings

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:56 am
kalm wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:48 am

I have not heard a single lefty who supports what the Iranian government is doing right now. I think you might be confused.
I think you might be deflecting. Women are second class citizens in a lot more Islamic countries than Iran. Where is the outrage? Illiberals bitch about conservative Christian sects but want to be culturally sensitive to Muslims.
with evangelical christians in the US doing their best to catch up. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Hopeful the Supreme Court will put an end to the stupid practice of colleges judging life challenges by how many rights someone's ancestors had instead of their current lot. :thumb:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:58 am Hopeful the Supreme Court will put an end to the stupid practice of colleges judging life challenges by how many rights someone's ancestors had instead of their current lot. :thumb:
To quote Louis C.K.:

“I’m not saying white is better. I’m saying to BE white is WAY better.”
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 am
Pwns wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:58 am Hopeful the Supreme Court will put an end to the stupid practice of colleges judging life challenges by how many rights someone's ancestors had instead of their current lot. :thumb:
To quote Louis C.K.:

I think that is shifting. The bigger challenge is economics. Would you rather be black & middle class or white & poor?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:44 am
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:13 am

To quote Louis C.K.:

I think that is shifting. The bigger challenge is economics. Would you rather be black & middle class or white & poor?
Still not shifting enough. Being Black in America still has its detriments. This case doesn't really address that at all. But at least from college admissions, this will be interesting. Denying people admission due to the color of their skin (in this case Asian-Americans, or as progressive like to call them now, white-adjacent) is a tough one to defend. That's why the Court will rule against affirmative action here. What it looks like and what the implications are after this will be interesting.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The funny thing about the doctrine of "anti-racism" is that it requires Harvard to stand by in court it's policies of rating Asian applicants lower in likeability and courage scores while claiming those metrics aren't racist while actual tests of academic ability for admission to an academic institution are.

Honestly, it would be better off to just go back to race norming or straight-up quotas. The whole black box of "holistic admissions" has so much BS and hypocrisy built into it. Not to mention it's much easier for more well-off parents to buy violin lessons or to play on a traveling lacrosse team to appear more "balanced".
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Yep. In the 21st century We shouldn’t be judging people based off skin color, which is what affirmative action does. Affirmative action is WAY PAST overdue being ended..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:03 am
Still not shifting enough. Being Black in America still has its detriments. This case doesn't really address that at all. But at least from college admissions, this will be interesting. Denying people admission due to the color of their skin (in this case Asian-Americans, or as progressive like to call them now, white-adjacent) is a tough one to defend. That's why the Court will rule against affirmative action here. What it looks like and what the implications are after this will be interesting.
I agree that it hasn't shifted enough but I stand by my assertion that socio-economics is a more important factor in determining success. It is easier for the child of a middle-class, black couple to remain middle-class or become wealthy than it is for the child of a poor, white couple to become middle-class.

Affirmative action has served a valuable purpose and IMO there is value in keeping it but it needs to adapt and hopefully be phased out over time.

I hadn't heard of "white-adjacent" but in looking into found some nuggets on racism vs. racial prejudice. The whole idea that black people can't be racist but can be racially prejudiced is baloney.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:09 am
Yep. In the 21st century We shouldn’t be judging people based off skin color, which is what affirmative action does. Affirmative action is WAY PAST overdue being ended..
Racism is "WAY PAST overdue being ended" yet it endures.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:15 am

I agree that it hasn't shifted enough but I stand by my assertion that socio-economics is a more important factor in determining success. It is easier for the child of a middle-class, black couple to remain middle-class or become wealthy than it is for the child of a poor, white couple to become middle-class.

Affirmative action has served a valuable purpose and IMO there is value in keeping it but it needs to adapt and hopefully be phased out over time.

I hadn't heard of "white-adjacent" but in looking into found some nuggets on racism vs. racial prejudice. The whole idea that black people can't be racist but can be racially prejudiced is baloney.
I think we agree here but just to clarify…it’s still more advantageous to be poor and white than poor and black. Yes?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:37 am

I think we agree here but just to clarify…it’s still more advantageous to be poor and white than poor and black. Yes?
I'll answer for UNI - it depends on the circumstance. Not a yes or no question.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Yes, "it’s still more advantageous to be poor and white than poor and black" but the gap is narrowing.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:42 am

Yes, "it’s still more advantageous to be poor and white than poor and black" but the gap is narrowing.
Agree.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

So if race is used as a factor, what % do you have to be a minority? In this case of the Asians, what if they’re 1/2 Asian and 1/2 black? Which 1/2 gets discriminated against? What if 1/4 black and 3/4 Asian?

What % minority do you have to be to claim minority status and get preferential treatment? 1/2? 3/8? 1/4? 1/64th to 1/1024 like Pocahontas?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:42 am

I think there are times when racism gets credit for things that have more to do with class than race
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

This guy might understand freedom…

More than this guy…

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:33 pm This guy might understand freedom…

More than this guy…

:lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

States rights!

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Still not shifting enough. Being Black in America still has its detriments. This case doesn't really address that at all. But at least from college admissions, this will be interesting. Denying people admission due to the color of their skin (in this case Asian-Americans, or as progressive like to call them now, white-adjacent) is a tough one to defend.That's why the Court will rule against affirmative action here. What it looks like and what the implications are after this will be interesting.

Blacks aren't smart enough; Asians are too smart...
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:55 am

Still not shifting enough. Being Black in America still has its detriments. This case doesn't really address that at all. But at least from college admissions, this will be interesting. Denying people admission due to the color of their skin (in this case Asian-Americans, or as progressive like to call them now, white-adjacent) is a tough one to defend.That's why the Court will rule against affirmative action here. What it looks like and what the implications are after this will be interesting.

I’ve never heard anyone use the phrase “white adjacent”.

Is that like UNI88 and Ganny being right wing nut adjacent?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:08 am
houndawg wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:55 am

Come on, now you're just pretending, of course you've heard the term. White adjaceny came up in the White Fragility book and the author, Robin DiAngelo, is even from your neck of the woods as she's a prof at the University of Washington. She probably even does weekends in the Palouse. If she golfs you've probably even rented her a golf cart. I'm pretty sure my Facebook friend/women's studies prof has been using that term since at least that book came out, if not before. You need a wider circle of friends. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:05 pm

Come on, now you're just pretending, of course you've heard the term. White adjaceny came up in the White Fragility book and the author, Robin DiAngelo, is even from your neck of the woods as she's a prof at the University of Washington. She probably even does weekends in the Palouse. If she golfs you've probably even rented her a golf cart. I'm pretty sure my Facebook friend/women's studies prof has been using that term since at least that book came out, if not before. You need a wider circle of friends. :coffee:
kalmy would rather stick his head in the sand on that one. White adjacent is a racist term and he doesn't want to admit that progressives can be racist as well.

If you and are I are "right wing nut adjacent" is Ibanez left wing nut adjacent?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

I have a Chinese-Hawaiian SiL, my best friend’s wife who I grew up with is Korean, and I’ve never heard the heard the phrase used.

I guess I’m not as woke as you two. :)

And how small do you think WA state is? I mean jeez.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:12 pm

I have a Chinese-Hawaiian SiL, my best friend’s wife who I grew up with is Korean, and I’ve never heard the heard the phrase used.

People who are white-adjacent don't describe themselves that way. It's like how white people who are racist don't describe themselves as racists. It's a pejorative term, so it's used by groups of people to describe other groups of people. And yes, I strongly believe that you aren't as woke as I am.

I thought WA was about the size of PA? Just guessing, really, it's still one of the states I need to get to. I did go to Oregon back in the day on a visit to HP in Corvallis (flew into Portland and drove down). Lovely country, even came back up the coast and felt like I was in the move "The Goonies". I'll get to Washington one day, I have to get over to Forks to do my Twilight pop culture tour. I'm Team Edward. :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:19 am
kalm wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:12 pm

People who are white-adjacent don't describe themselves that way. It's like how white people who are racist don't describe themselves as racists. It's a pejorative term, so it's used by groups of people to describe other groups of people. And yes, I strongly believe that you aren't as woke as I am.

I thought WA was about the size of PA? Just guessing, really, it's still one of the states I need to get to. I did go to Oregon back in the day on a visit to HP in Corvallis (flew into Portland and drove down). Lovely country, even came back up the coast and felt like I was in the move "The Goonies". I'll get to Washington one day, I have to get over to Forks to do my Twilight pop culture tour. I'm Team Edward. :thumb:
I don’t have any racist friends so maybe there’s the disconnect? But wait, this DeAngelo woman is talking about white fragility? So is the term racist, has been co-opted by racists, or?

Confusing.

I’ve been to Forks. To salmon fish and explore Olympic National Park and the rainforests. Isolated, quiet, dark and mysterious country. I have never seen Twilight.