Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2022 SCOTUS rulings

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:49 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:19 am

People who are white-adjacent don't describe themselves that way. It's like how white people who are racist don't describe themselves as racists. It's a pejorative term, so it's used by groups of people to describe other groups of people. And yes, I strongly believe that you aren't as woke as I am.

I thought WA was about the size of PA? Just guessing, really, it's still one of the states I need to get to. I did go to Oregon back in the day on a visit to HP in Corvallis (flew into Portland and drove down). Lovely country, even came back up the coast and felt like I was in the move "The Goonies". I'll get to Washington one day, I have to get over to Forks to do my Twilight pop culture tour. I'm Team Edward. :thumb:
I don’t have any racist friends so maybe there’s the disconnect? But wait, this DeAngelo woman is talking about white fragility? So is the term racist, has been co-opted by racists, or?

Confusing.

I’ve been to Forks. To salmon fish and explore Olympic National Park and the rainforests. Isolated, quiet, dark and mysterious country. I have never seen Twilight.
Spent 8 nights western WA this past April. Spent 5 nights around Olympic NP. Spent 2 nights Forks because its a good location for visiting the northern & western side of thr park, and the GF is in to all that vampire shit.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:50 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:49 am

I don’t have any racist friends so maybe there’s the disconnect? But wait, this DeAngelo woman is talking about white fragility? So is the term racist, has been co-opted by racists, or?

Confusing.

I’ve been to Forks. To salmon fish and explore Olympic National Park and the rainforests. Isolated, quiet, dark and mysterious country. I have never seen Twilight.
Spent 8 nights western WA this past April. Spent 5 nights around Olympic NP. Spent 2 nights Forks because its a good location for visiting the northern & western side of thr park, and the GF is in to all that vampire shit.
What did you think of the Olympic Peninsula?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:27 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:50 pm
What did you think of the Olympic Peninsula?
Reminded me a little of Maine & Acadia Nat Park, but on a much bigger scale, and obvioulsy different climate. Spent 2 nights Port Angeles, 2 nights Forks, 1 night Lake Quinalt. Hit the highlights ONP- Hurricane Ridge, Suldoc Falls, Cape Flattery, Hoh Rain Forest, 2nd Beach, Rialto Beach, Ruby Beach, Lake Quinalt. Obvioulsy the logging industry isn’t like it used to be, but still big there. Along with that I would imagine it was redder, and less expensive, in the past, but I see the 2 counties are purple & blue now.

Also visited Snoqualmie Falls, Leavenworth, and Whidbey Island. Stayed clear of Seattle. Was all we had time for in 9 days.

Was late April, and still too early for much Mt Rainer Nat Park & North Cascades Nat Park. Northern portion of the Cascades Loop through the North Cascades NP think opened the week after we left.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:19 am People who are white-adjacent don't describe themselves that way. It's like how white people who are racist don't describe themselves as racists. It's a pejorative term, so it's used by groups of people to describe other groups of people. And yes, I strongly believe that you aren't as woke as I am.

I thought WA was about the size of PA? Just guessing, really, it's still one of the states I need to get to. I did go to Oregon back in the day on a visit to HP in Corvallis (flew into Portland and drove down). Lovely country, even came back up the coast and felt like I was in the move "The Goonies". I'll get to Washington one day, I have to get over to Forks to do my Twilight pop culture tour. I'm Team Edward. :thumb:

Confusing.

I call bullish!t. There is no way you don’t have one friend that is a little racist. It’s human nature to be suspicious of people who don’t look like you. Some people move past it and others don’t. Parenting makes a huge difference in moving past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:47 am
kalm wrote:

Confusing.

I call bullish!t. There is no way you don’t have one friend that is a little racist. It’s human nature to be suspicious of people who don’t look like you. Some people move past it and others don’t. Parenting makes a huge difference in moving past it.

Depends on your definition of racism I guess. I agree that prejudice/fear of the outsider is a human trait and parenting indeed matters.

Of course there’s also changing culture. I find some things wrong with wokism and performative political gestures (Nancy Pelosi in African garb) but change is inevitable and I find little use in clinging to a past that was at the expense of others identity and one that’s already gone.

I just really don’t have friends that are outwardly racist at least around me. Even the conservative ones. I try to assume the best in people and not assume they’re racist.

Sorry this bugs you…ya filthy kraut.

:)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:47 am I call bullish!t. There is no way you don’t have one friend that is a little racist. It’s human nature to be suspicious of people who don’t look like you. Some people move past it and others don’t. Parenting makes a huge difference in moving past it.

Depends on your definition of racism I guess. I agree that prejudice/fear of the outsider is a human trait and parenting indeed matters.

Of course there’s also changing culture. I find some things wrong with wokism and performative political gestures (Nancy Pelosi in African garb) but change is inevitable and I find little use in clinging to a past that was at the expense of others identity and one that’s already gone.

I just really don’t have friends that are outwardly racist at least around me. Even the conservative ones. I try to assume the best in people and not assume they’re racist.

Change is inevitable but what changes isn’t.

Let’s talk about openness to change. How close do you live to where you were born? Where you grew up? Where you went to college? I’ve been kicked in the shorts, gotten back up and embraced the opportunities that life gives.

I worry about bigotry, not just racism. There are plenty of bigoted people out there. Including leftists that don’t respect a Christian’s perspective. They can be as self righteous and certain they’re right as a clansman.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:36 pm
kalm wrote:

Let’s talk about openness to change. How close do you live to where you were born? Where you grew up? Where you went to college? I’ve been kicked in the shorts, gotten back up and embraced the opportunities that life gives.

I worry about bigotry, not just racism. There are plenty of bigoted people out there. Including leftists that don’t respect a Christian’s perspective. They can be as self righteous and certain they’re right as a clansman.

I live 5 miles from where I grew up and went to school.

I’m 180 miles from my birthplace, Missoula.

“The world is full of bastards. The number steadily increasing the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”

- Norman McLean
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:36 pm
kalm wrote:

I agree with you on some leftists and Christianity. Why have issues with someone’s faith? But Christianity is a choice. Skin color is not. Some of the push back against it can be blamed on the Christians themselves.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:36 pm Change is inevitable but what changes isn’t.

“The world is full of bastards. The number steadily increasing the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”

- Norman McLean
It could be said that you’re living in a cocoon. Have you experienced change? Or just read about it?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:36 pm Change is inevitable but what changes isn’t.

I agree with you on some leftists and Christianity. Why have issues with someone’s faith? But Christianity is a choice. Skin color is not. Some of the push back against it can be blamed on the Christians themselves.
There are bigots who say the same thing about homosexuality.

I know Christians whose faith is a part of who they are. It’s part of their identity. How is asking them to deny their faith any different than asking someone to deny their sexual orientation or gender identity?

I don’t think it is. I don’t live in a bubble, expecting people to conform to my norm. I try to be truly liberal and respect others for who they are.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:19 pm
kalm wrote:

- Norman McLean
It could be said that you’re living in a cocoon. Have you experienced change? Or just read about it?

Seriously, Clark? :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:28 pm
kalm wrote:
There are bigots who say the same thing about homosexuality.

I know Christians whose faith is a part of who they are. It’s part of their identity. How is asking them to deny their faith any different than asking someone to deny their sexual orientation or gender identity?

I don’t think it is. I don’t live in a bubble, expecting people to conform to my norm. I try to be truly liberal and respect others for who they are.

It depends on whether a person’s faith or skin color harms others.

No one is suggesting that you live in a bubble anymore than others do. You’re probably better than most. However… I think we all tend to live in bubbles to a degree. We can be quite good at bullshitting ourselves.

Carry on with your liberalness. That’s a good thing.

:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:28 pm There are bigots who say the same thing about homosexuality.

No one is suggesting that you live in a bubble anymore than others do. You’re probably better than most. However… I think we all tend to live in bubbles to a degree. We can be quite good at bullshitting ourselves.

Does someone refusing to respect a LGBTQ+ person’s identity hurt them any more than someone refusing to respect a Christian’s faith hurts them?

And I focused on Christianity because there are liberals who want to respect other faiths but not Christianity.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:44 am
kalm wrote:

Does someone refusing to respect a LGBTQ+ person’s identity hurt them any more than someone refusing to respect a Christian’s faith hurts them?

And I focused on Christianity because there are liberals who want to respect other faiths but not Christianity.
I don’t know. Define “hurt”. Is gender identification a choice? Sexual persuasion? Skin color?

What I do know, is if you are harmed by these things as a Christian, you might want to check your belief system and ideas of morality for more clarification.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:44 am Does someone refusing to respect a LGBTQ+ person’s identity hurt them any more than someone refusing to respect a Christian’s faith hurts them?

I don’t know. Define “hurt”. Is gender identification a choice? Sexual persuasion? Skin color?

What I do know, is if you are harmed by these things as a Christian, you might want to check your belief system and ideas of morality for more clarification.
Says kalm, sitting in his narrow-minded bubble judging others for not being open-minded.

I know someone who is a Jehovahs Witness, his faith is as much a part of who he is as someone’s skin color, sexual orientation or gender identity.

I don’t agree with how a lot of evangelicals and other religious people feel about LGBTQ+ people but like a true liberal, I try to respect their right to their faith.

Maybe you should be a little more open to opening your own mind rather than looking down on people who disagree with you. Change being inevitable, that would be change for the better.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:49 pm
kalm wrote:

Says kalm, sitting in his narrow-minded bubble judging others for not being open-minded.

I know someone who is a Jehovahs Witness, his faith is as much a part of who he is as someone’s skin color, sexual orientation or gender identity.

I don’t agree with how a lot of evangelicals and other religious people feel about LGBTQ+ people but like a true liberal, I try to respect their right to their faith.

Maybe you should be a little more open to opening your own mind rather than looking down on people who disagree with you. Change being inevitable, that would be change for the better.

Oh my. Someone is being strangely defensive here.

In your made up world do you think I wander around disrespecting the religious? Or am I saddened by their bigotry and attempts to deny other’s freedoms through who or what they support? Because that is obviously different than respecting their rights to their fate”.

To assume otherwise would be……narrow minded. :)

And for what it’s worth, one of the kindest humans I know is a staunch Mormon.

And I only judge the Dutch. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

2022 SCOTUS rulings

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:49 pm

Sent from my rectum using flatulence.
Oh my. Someone is being strangely defensive here.

In your made up world do you think I wander around disrespecting the religious? Or am I saddened by their bigotry and attempts to deny other’s freedoms through who or what they support? Because that is obviously different than respecting their rights to their fate”.

Here you go again with your “they’re worse” rationalization.

Have you talked to your Mormon friend about his/her bigotry?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote: Oh my. Someone is being strangely defensive here.

Here you go again with your “they’re worse” rationalization.

Have you talked to your Mormon friend about his/her bigotry?

Why are you arguing with self proclaimed post-partisans?

You know they label themselves that way to avoid talking real positions on anything, right?

The best way to deal passive aggressives is to walk away from them.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UNI88 is also one of the "self proclaimed post-partisans."
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:UNI88 is also one of the "self proclaimed post-partisans."
I’m pretty partisan and really not a post partisan. I do consider myself a true liberal and progressive and like to mock illiberal, pseudo-progressives who pretend to be something they’re not.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:56 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote:UNI88 is also one of the "self proclaimed post-partisans."
I’m pretty partisan and really not a post partisan. I do consider myself a true liberal and progressive and like to mock illiberal, pseudo-progressives who pretend to be something they’re not.

(Must not…reply…must not take the bait)

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:56 pm I’m pretty partisan and really not a post partisan. I do consider myself a true liberal and progressive and like to mock illiberal, pseudo-progressives who pretend to be something they’re not.

(Must not…reply…must not take the bait)

:lol:
;)

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:49 pm Why don't states need a viable alternative?

Ok, so states had "trigger laws" that went into effect when Roe v. Wade was overturned. Their shitty implementation doesn't matter or shouldn't be criticized? :suspicious: Not really sure how "states rights" absolves them of criticism.
Louisiana, like many states, authorize medical procedures to protect the HEALTH of the mother in cases in which carrying a pregnancy to term is "medically futile."

Pre-Roe, every state included such a provision within its laws, even in those states where abortion was somewhat restricted or even extremely restricted.

This case was a pretend crisis, as the activists representing the woman were pretending they were not sure if the "medically futile" exception applied to her. This was done, of course, to create a political and public relations firestorm. The doctors who "refused" to perform the procedure, expressing "confusion" over the law, were also activists entirely complicit in this mis-leading campaign.

https://legis.la.gov/Legis/Law.aspx?d=1 ... er%20birth.

There is one thing to keep in mind about abortion activists: they lie, and they are always lying.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:49 pm Why don't states need a viable alternative?

Ok, so states had "trigger laws" that went into effect when Roe v. Wade was overturned. Their shitty implementation doesn't matter or shouldn't be criticized? :suspicious: Not really sure how "states rights" absolves them of criticism.
Louisiana, like many states, authorize medical procedures to protect the HEALTH of the mother in cases in which carrying a pregnancy to term is "medically futile."

Pre-Roe, every state included such a provision within its laws, even in those states where abortion was somewhat restricted or even extremely restricted.

This case was a pretend crisis, as the activists representing the woman were pretending they were not sure if the "medically futile" exception applied to her. This was done, of course, to create a political and public relations firestorm. The doctors who "refused" to perform the procedure, expressing "confusion" over the law, were also activists entirely complicit in this mis-leading campaign.

There is one thing to keep in mind about abortion activists: they lie, and they are always lying.
Doesn’t that apply to activists on both sides of the abortion debate and activists in general?

They’re so zealous in pursuit of their cause that they believe the ends justify the means.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:19 pm
JoltinJoe wrote:

Doesn’t that apply to activists on both sides of the abortion debate and activists in general?

They’re so zealous in pursuit of their cause that they believe the ends justify the means.

I don't think you can compare the lies told by the abortionists and those which may be told by pro-life supporters.

Most of the so-called "lies" told by pro-lifers are really founded on moral/ethical opinions. A pro-lifer will say a life exists at conception; an abortionist calls that a lie, because they claim there is no "scientific consensus." But the pro-lifer is expressing a moral outlook, not a "scientific fact." Abortionists, on the other hand, just tell straight up tell falsehoods.