Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Student Debt Forgiveness

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:25 am
kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:03 am

You are disciplined, without kids, and live in a relatively low COL area (I’m guessing?).

I have close friends, both who make 6 figures. Humble house, average vehicles, far from extravagant lifestyle, but two kids. Both payed loans well into their 40’s.

I’d say you are the outlier.

Like I said before, a consumer based economy is supported by them spending every dime rather than being disciplined and single like you.

I also worked two jobs and never ate out, nor drank at all. Drove a vehicle that was older than me and lived in a very cheap apartment (not a nice area). My area's COL at the time was comparable to your area (looked this up multiple times when job hunting).

My dad did something similar but had a family (4 kids) on a $50k a year job and graduated with a 2 year degree with zero debt. I know multiple people with families (2 kids average) with similar circumstances and both parents loans were paid off by mid to late 30's.

And I am far from an outlier around here, just because we have a consumer economy does not mean one has to follow that. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must spend your money and not pay back your loans". We all have a choice.

Do some people need help, sure, most do not and life isn't a bed of roses. Some choices have lasting repercussions.

Guess making responsible decisions means that I should be punished by the democratic party. And in that respect I hope they do forgive $10k in student loans, as in a year or so, they will need to do the same again as the only thing they are doing is rewarding bad behavior (student and college). And for those that paid their loans by their own choice, this will just cement more resentment and drive a bigger wedge in some voters.
I totally get what you’re saying and if given a choice between forgiveness and free education going forward, I’ll chose the latter. But just because it can be done or has happened doesn’t make the structure or profit taking of our current system right. It’s similar to social security. Easy to say burn it down when you don’t need it or will die before it runs out.

There’s a reason for the $1.7 trillion in outstanding loan debt out there. That’s a shit ton of people who lack your discipline.
You’re an outlier…in a good way. :thumb:

“Be more like WB” is what I like to tell people. They say “who?” Then I just turn away shaking my head.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:43 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:25 am

I also worked two jobs and never ate out, nor drank at all. Drove a vehicle that was older than me and lived in a very cheap apartment (not a nice area). My area's COL at the time was comparable to your area (looked this up multiple times when job hunting).

My dad did something similar but had a family (4 kids) on a $50k a year job and graduated with a 2 year degree with zero debt. I know multiple people with families (2 kids average) with similar circumstances and both parents loans were paid off by mid to late 30's.

And I am far from an outlier around here, just because we have a consumer economy does not mean one has to follow that. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must spend your money and not pay back your loans". We all have a choice.

Do some people need help, sure, most do not and life isn't a bed of roses. Some choices have lasting repercussions.

Guess making responsible decisions means that I should be punished by the democratic party. And in that respect I hope they do forgive $10k in student loans, as in a year or so, they will need to do the same again as the only thing they are doing is rewarding bad behavior (student and college). And for those that paid their loans by their own choice, this will just cement more resentment and drive a bigger wedge in some voters.
I totally get what you’re saying and if given a choice between forgiveness and free education going forward, I’ll chose the latter. But just because it can be done or has happened doesn’t make it right. It’s similar to social security. Easy to say burn it down when you don’t need it or will die before it runs out.

There’s a reason for the $1.7 trillion in outstanding loan debt out there. That’s a shot ton of people who lack your discipline.
The real question you have to ask yourself is what happens when people like me say F it and start working the system? Why shouldn't I run up the debt if it is all going to be forgiven anyway? Always wanted to go to MIT and tack on a few more degrees.......

And rewarding bad behavior is only going to cause more bad behavior. SS is just another ponzi scheme that should have never happened. I will never see a red cent from all the money I have sunk into that program. I would opt out in a NY minute if that was an option.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

I totally get what you’re saying and if given a choice between forgiveness and free education going forward, I’ll chose the latter. But just because it can be done or has happened doesn’t make the structure or profit taking of our current system right. It’s similar to social security. Easy to say burn it down when you don’t need it or will die before it runs out.

There’s a reason for the $1.7 trillion in outstanding loan debt out there. That’s a shit ton of people who lack your discipline.

“Be more like WB” is what I like to tell people. They say “who?” Then I just turn away shaking my head.
As a numbers guy, being like WB isn't all it is cracked up to be. :|

I really need to go wrench on some rusty metal to reduce my stress level. :ohno:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:56 am

I totally get what you’re saying and if given a choice between forgiveness and free education going forward, I’ll chose the latter. But just because it can be done or has happened doesn’t make it right. It’s similar to social security. Easy to say burn it down when you don’t need it or will die before it runs out.

There’s a reason for the $1.7 trillion in outstanding loan debt out there. That’s a shot ton of people who lack your discipline.
The real question you have to ask yourself is what happens when people like me say F it and start working the system? Why shouldn't I run up the debt if it is all going to be forgiven anyway? Always wanted to go to MIT and tack on a few more degrees.......

And rewarding bad behavior is only going to cause more bad behavior. SS is just another ponzi scheme that should have never happened. I will never see a red cent from all the money I have sunk into that program. I would opt out in a NY minute if that was an option.
Now THAT is an interesting, greater philosophical discussion indeed.

We reward bad behavior in many ways. It ain’t just social spending and student debt. Remember…”greed is good”. Avoiding loan committment therefore is also good. We have a selfish, shitty system which brazenly supports and rewards all manner of greed. It’s baked right into our criminal justice system. EG: throw the book at the guy making $5 bucks for selling a dime bag on the corner, but financial crimes? Meh. Fine them or speak harsh words, or something.

But you and I know we ultimately answer to ourselves.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:57 am

I really need to go wrench on some rusty metal to reduce my stress level. :ohno:
Yes you do. I could use a hand hauling an old car home from the lower Palouse. And then with some autobody detail work. I’ll pay for your gas and lunch. Ok? Great. See ya this afternoon.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:31 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:57 am

Yes you do. I could use a hand hauling an old car home from the lower Palouse. And then with some autobody detail work. I’ll pay for your gas and lunch. Ok? Great. See ya this afternoon.
An 18 hour drive doesn't seem to bad to lend a friend a hand. :thumb:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:29 am

We reward bad behavior in many ways. It ain’t just social spending and student debt. Remember…”greed is good”. Avoiding loan committment therefore is also good. We have a selfish, shitty system which brazenly supports and rewards all manner of greed. It’s baked right into our criminal justice system. EG: throw the book at the guy making $5 bucks for selling a dime bag on the corner, but financial crimes? Meh. Fine them or speak harsh words, or something.

Well there goes my astrophysics and meta materials phd's. :cry: ;)

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 am

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:29 am Now THAT is an interesting, greater philosophical discussion indeed.

And my future PhDs in basket weaving and women's studies (or studying women).

And Kalm's in TOC (turf of color) maintenance.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:23 am

That shit practically maintains itself. :tothehand:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Freeloaders like you give other freeloaders like me a bad wrap. :ohno: :lol:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:34 am

And here I thought we were going to pursue women's studies together.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:41 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:34 am

And here I thought we were going to pursue women's studies together.
You can take the basket weavers and I will take the librarians. 8-)

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Government forgiveness of student loan debt is the predictable, ultimate conclusion of government's foray into guaranteed student lending.

Everything they touch turns to shit.

Still waiting on that list of things the government does well/better.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:41 am Government forgiveness of student loan debt is the predictable, ultimate conclusion of government's foray into guaranteed student lending.

I tried. It’s not my fault you have trouble hearing. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:40 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:41 am Government forgiveness of student loan debt is the predictable, ultimate conclusion of government's foray into guaranteed student lending.

I tried. It’s not my fault you have trouble hearing. :coffee:
You tried what?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:20 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:43 am

I think that's why there's going to be an income cap, like $125k so fewer doctors and lawyers are benefitting.
Someone who makes $125,000 a year can afford to pay back their loans. That’s fucking lunacy.
Fuck yeah, they can pay back their student loan AND taxes for Bezos and Gates. :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I dare you to show me an organization that wastes more time and money, YoY. Go ahead, show me. The US is #1 here. Nobody wastes money better than the US Government.

The DoD has 8 Departments with the same job - look for POWs and MIAs.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Student debt forgiveness is dumb and I say that as someone who has 2 kids that potentially could benefit from it right now. The bigger issue is forgiving the debt doesn't fix the problem of runaway cost increases for a college education. If they don't fix the problems we'll just be back in the same spot in 10 years. Can of like everything else the feds "fix". :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:20 am Student debt forgiveness is dumb and I say that as someone who has 2 kids that potentially could benefit from it right now. The bigger issue is forgiving the debt doesn't fix the problem of runaway cost increases for a college education. If they don't fix the problems we'll just be back in the same spot in 10 years. Can of like everything else the feds "fix". :ohno:
Except in 10 years or less everybody will go to the most expensive college and then expect their loans to be forgiven. Forgiving them once is going to make the whole cottage industry explode.

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates and Warren Buffet may not take the time to thank personally but I'm sure they appreciate the sacrifices you make to pay their taxes.

And SS would be fine too if those people paid their taxes. There are much bigger fish than you working the system. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:29 am
HI54UNI wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:20 am Student debt forgiveness is dumb and I say that as someone who has 2 kids that potentially could benefit from it right now. The bigger issue is forgiving the debt doesn't fix the problem of runaway cost increases for a college education. If they don't fix the problems we'll just be back in the same spot in 10 years. Can of like everything else the feds "fix". :ohno:
Except in 10 years or less everybody will go to the most expensive college and then expect their loans to be forgiven. Forgiving them once is going to make the whole cottage industry explode.
No - in 10 years everybody will be sending their kids to Europe to be educated better at much lower cost.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I say the exact same thing in regards to Cindy McCain. Abused her charity to doctor shop for pain pills and was lauded as 'heroic and brave' when caught...but that guy who got addicted due to his pain? Fuck him, toss him in jail because he doesn't walk in the same social circles so he's obviously a piece of shit.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:37 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:29 am

No - in 10 years everybody will be sending their kids to Europe to be educated better at much lower cost.
Huh? Europe? There's no comparison today between the top Universities there and here, and Europe is only getting worse. While our colleges are making Gordon Gekko proud and squeezing every last penny they can get from students and the US government, they are still far and away the best option out there when it comes to that level of education.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:50 am
houndawg wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:37 am

Huh? Europe? There's no comparison today between the top Universities there and here, and Europe is only getting worse. While our colleges are making Gordon Gekko proud and squeezing every last penny they can get from students and the US government, they are still far and away the best option out there when it comes to that level of education.
Charlie Sheen was in that movie if memory serves me correct.