Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Student Debt Forgiveness

Post by HI54UNI »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:49 pm Wouldn’t surprise me if Bidem waived it though, because they clearly have poor legal counsel at the WH, due to the actions they keep doing that keep getting overturned by the courts. Ex- the CDC eviction moratorium. Clearly unconstitutional as multiple courts, including SCOTUS ruled. but the WH legal counsel must have advised it was legal, otherwise you’d think they (CDC taking marching orders from the WH) wouldn’t have done it.
They know things aren't legal but they don't care. By the time this goes through the courts this genie will be out of the bottle and the damage done. Biden will get some voter support and if they've forgiven loans the outcry to suddenly make people pay 1-3 years later will be too great and nothing will happen. CDC Eviction moratorium was the same way.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Here’s who should NOT support any thought of canceling student debt:

A) Anyone who worked and paid their own way through college
B) Anyone who took out student loans and paid them all back as agreed
C) Anyone who’s parents paid for their college
D) Anyone who never went to college because they couldn’t afford it
E) Anyone who didn’t go to college because they didn’t see the value in it
F) Anyone who paid for their kids college so they wouldn’t be burdened with debt when they graduated
G) Anyone who busted their ass in HS to get scholarships/grants because they knew their parents couldn’t afford college for them

Who supports canceling student debt?

H) A political party pandering for votes
I) People who went to college, partied and got useless degrees and racked up tens of thousands of dollars of debt in the process and are now stocking shelves at the local grocery store or not working at all.

If they cancel any/all student debt and you are in groups A-F above, and you STILL vote democrat then you are

J) An idiot
K) The problem, not the solution
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:44 am Here’s who should NOT support any thought of canceling student debt:

F) Anyone who paid for their kids college so they wouldn’t be burdened with debt when they graduated
G) Anyone who busted their ass in HS to get scholarships/grants because they knew their parents couldn’t afford college for them

I) People who went to college, partied and got useless degrees and racked up tens of thousands of dollars of debt in the process and are now stocking shelves at the local grocery store or not working at all.

If they cancel any/all student debt and you are in groups A-F above, and you STILL vote democrat then you are

J) An idiot
I’m A,C,F, G, J, and K.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:07 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:49 pm Wouldn’t surprise me if Bidem waived it though, because they clearly have poor legal counsel at the WH, due to the actions they keep doing that keep getting overturned by the courts. Ex- the CDC eviction moratorium. Clearly unconstitutional as multiple courts, including SCOTUS ruled. but the WH legal counsel must have advised it was legal, otherwise you’d think they (CDC taking marching orders from the WH) wouldn’t have done it.
They know things aren't legal but they don't care. By the time this goes through the courts this genie will be out of the bottle and the damage done. Biden will get some voter support and if they've forgiven loans the outcry to suddenly make people pay 1-3 years later will be too great and nothing will happen. CDC Eviction moratorium was the same way.
Yep. The do a lot of things they know wont pass the courts knowing it'll take that time to get rejected. Some of the vax passport stuff is another example of this.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:42 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:07 am

Yep. The do a lot of things they know wont pass the courts knowing it'll take that time to get rejected. Some of the vax passport stuff is another example of this.
WILL IT? will it get voter support? Per my list above, there’s a shitload of people who might be pissed as hell at this, including basically ALL the blue collar workers who never went to college at all. I think there’s more to lose than gain by this move, personally.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:46 pm

WILL IT? will it get voter support? Per my list above, there’s a shitload of people who might be pissed as hell at this, including basically ALL the blue collar workers who never went to college at all. I think there’s more to lose than gain by this move, personally.
It will get their voters support.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

It'll be supported because you're also forgetting about those parents who would be happy that their kids aren't saddled by that debt any more. Those kids now have "extra" money that can be used to help get a safer, more reliable car, day care, their own apartment, insurance, etc... That's another population that isn't being considered. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:36 am

It'll be supported because you're also forgetting about those parents who would be happy that their kids aren't saddled by that debt any more. Those kids now have "extra" money that can be used to help get a safer, more reliable car, day care, their own apartment, insurance, etc... That's another population that isn't being considered. :twocents:
:nod:

Which also provides economic stimulus.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:44 am Here’s who should NOT support any thought of canceling student debt:

J) An idiot
You forgot one:
L) People who paid for most of their kid's education while getting some student loans and see this as a way of getting some money back. :mrgreen:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

I believe “those” parents (who don’t believe in personal responsibility or paying what you committed to pay) would have voted Donk anyways, for the most part. Like Klammy, for instance. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:07 am

J) An idiot
You forgot one:
L) People who paid for most of their kid's education while getting some student loans and see this as a way of getting some money back. :mrgreen:
:lol: It's all fiat money, anyway - backed by " Trust me, I got this" and good vibes. What's another $1.5T? :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ibanez on Mon May 09, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:11 am

I believe “those” parents (who don’t believe in personal responsibility or paying what you committed to pay) would have voted Donk anyways, for the most part. Like Klammy, for instance. :coffee:
Probably. From where I am, I hear support for it from some people that I wouldn't expect it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:25 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:11 am

Probably. From where I am, I hear support for it from some people that I wouldn't expect it.
And from where I am, it’s exactly the opposite. People I would have guessed supported the concept are pissed as hell about it. :nod:

all anecdotal evidence, but given how badly Biden’s admin has screwed up everything it touches, it wouldn’t be a huge stretch that they’re misreading the tea leaves on this issue as well… :coffee: :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:36 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:25 am

And from where I am, it’s exactly the opposite. People I would have guessed supported the concept are pissed as hell about it. :nod:

all anecdotal evidence, but given how badly Biden’s admin has screwed up everything it touches, it wouldn’t be a huge stretch that they’re misreading the tea leaves on this issue as well… :coffee: :coffee:
In this case, the tea leaves they're looking at are really coffee grinds. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:06 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:36 am

In this case, the tea leaves they're looking at are really coffee grinds. :lol:
Used, and in the garbage.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

J) An idiot
you never got your panties in a twist like this when they gave a couple of billion in tax breaks the Bezos/Gates crowd. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:20 pm

J) An idiot
you never got your panties in a twist like this when they gave a couple of billion in tax breaks the Bezos/Gates crowd. :coffee:
Well, you haven’t been paying attention then. I have been very, VERY consistent about being against any kind of “bailout”. From the very start, all the way back to 2008 when these things became in vogue.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I could get behind this *if* it's heavily means tested and we do something about what created the debt crisis...at the bare minimum crack down on for-profit diploma mills and cap how much students can borrow and force universities to reduce costs.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:07 pm I could get behind this *if* it's heavily means tested and we do something about what created the debt crisis...at the bare minimum crack down on for-profit diploma mills and cap how much students can borrow and force universities to reduce costs.
The problem is the biggest issue here are the "not for profit" institutions that normally escape a closer look while we go after the more obvious "for profit" schools.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Pwns wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:07 pm I could get behind this *if* it's heavily means tested and we do something about what created the debt crisis...at the bare minimum crack down on for-profit diploma mills and cap how much students can borrow and force universities to reduce costs.
And we won’t. What do we do with all FUTURE student debt? Is it now forgiven forever? At what point are people going to be held responsible again for debt they willingly signed up for? Why stop at student debt? Why not auto debt? Or mortgage debt? Or credit card debt?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Can/has anybody verified any of these claims? Because if even half of them are true, this whole thing should piss off a whole lotta people.
Let’s get some fact straights about the student loan “crisis.”

2/3 of millennials carry no student debt because they did not attend college or were able to avoid loans.

The typical student graduates with a $30,000 student loan for a bachelor’s degree that will raise average lifetime incomes anywhere from $1 million to $2.8 million, a substantial return.

This $30,000 loan with a 4% interest rate would require monthly payments of $182 for 20 years.

Only 6% of borrowers take out more than $100,000 in loans, and they are heavily concentrated in law school and medical school.

Upper-income workers with advanced degrees account for nearly half the $1.6 trillion in outstanding federal student debt.

Surprisingly, those who take out the biggest loans are not the ones defaulting. Student loan defaults are heavily concentrated among small borrowers ($5,000 or less).

The proposed $125K income cap is 10 times the national poverty line, and many just-out-of-college workers with student loans will easily fall under it (the average entry-level salary for college grads is less than $60,000).

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) calculates that the “limited” Biden plan still costs the taxpayers at least $230 billion, with two-thirds of the benefit going to Americans in the top half of incomes.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:28 am
And we won’t. What do we do with all FUTURE student debt? Is it now forgiven forever? At what point are people going to be held responsible again for debt they willingly signed up for? Why stop at student debt? Why not auto debt? Or mortgage debt? Or credit card debt?
Even if we do, it will be a reduced in a NY minute to something less. And since this "solution" does nothing to fix the underlying cause that the government started in the first place, what is stopping colleges from raising prices even more in response (like they have done in hte past)?

It is a slippery slope that does not need to be gone down and is nothing but a blatant attempt to buy votes.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:41 am Can/has anybody verified any of these claims? Because if even half of them are true, this whole thing should piss off a whole lotta people.
Let’s get some fact straights about the student loan “crisis.”

2/3 of millennials carry no student debt because they did not attend college or were able to avoid loans.

The typical student graduates with a $30,000 student loan for a bachelor’s degree that will raise average lifetime incomes anywhere from $1 million to $2.8 million, a substantial return.

This $30,000 loan with a 4% interest rate would require monthly payments of $182 for 20 years.

Only 6% of borrowers take out more than $100,000 in loans, and they are heavily concentrated in law school and medical school.

Upper-income workers with advanced degrees account for nearly half the $1.6 trillion in outstanding federal student debt.

Surprisingly, those who take out the biggest loans are not the ones defaulting. Student loan defaults are heavily concentrated among small borrowers ($5,000 or less).

The proposed $125K income cap is 10 times the national poverty line, and many just-out-of-college workers with student loans will easily fall under it (the average entry-level salary for college grads is less than $60,000).

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) calculates that the “limited” Biden plan still costs the taxpayers at least $230 billion, with two-thirds of the benefit going to Americans in the top half of incomes.
I have seen similar information from other sources. The vast majority that would benefit would be upper-income, white college students. Far from the shown "poor" college students depicted in the media news articles.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

We avoid it by sending our kids to Europe for college; they get a great education and pick up at least one foreign language while they're at it. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:30 pm

We avoid it by sending our kids to Europe for college; they get a great education and pick up at least one foreign language while they're at it. :coffee:
Once again houndy swoops in with a useless post and then flies off.