Political discussions
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Student Debt Forgiveness

Post by SeattleGriz »

Started a new thread because it seems like forgiving 10K in debt has some legs with the Zhou Biden regime.

I like this idea from Ron DeSantis. If we forgive college debt, make the schools eat it. Not fair that 60% of the college debt is due to Graduate studies and they plan on making taxpayers eat this? We all know this is simply to appease and gain votes before the election.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Student Debt Forgiveness

Post by AZGrizFan »

I like the idea of people paying them off that fucking took out the loans.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:05 pm I like the idea of people paying them off that fucking took out the loans.
I do too. I didn't join the Army Reserves and work in a bike shop while in school for nothing. It was to pay for my own education. I was on my own at 17 and graduated debt free.

But IF they are going to forgive anything, then make the schools pay for the worthless education they provided.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Saw something about how this mostly benefits upper middle class whites.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:45 am Started a new thread because it seems like forgiving 10K in debt has some legs with the Zhou Biden regime.

I like this idea from Ron DeSantis. If we forgive college debt, make the schools eat it. Not fair that 60% of the college debt is due to Graduate studies and they plan on making taxpayers eat this? We all know this is simply to appease and gain votes before the election.

Yeah! Fuck the truck drivers!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:54 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:45 am Started a new thread because it seems like forgiving 10K in debt has some legs with the Zhou Biden regime.

Punctuation is important.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

This is a serious discussion, please leave your personal fantasies out of it ... :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:19 pm

This is a serious discussion, please leave your personal fantasies out of it ... :D
I’m tired of your sexism/toxic masculinity!

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

OMG. It took me about six hours to process this joke. Then it hit me. :thumb: :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:31 pm Saw something about how this mostly benefits upper middle class whites.
I think that's why there's going to be an income cap, like $125k so fewer doctors and lawyers are benefitting.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

That's not a bad idea. Make the universities accountable.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:43 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:31 pm Saw something about how this mostly benefits upper middle class whites.
I think that's why there's going to be an income cap, like $125k so fewer doctors and lawyers are benefitting.
Someone who makes $125,000 a year can afford to pay back their loans. That’s fucking lunacy.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:46 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:19 pm

Never seen a lot lizard look like that. Normally they are like this.

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:20 am

Someone who makes $125,000 a year can afford to pay back their loans. That’s fucking lunacy.
I paid mine (BS Engineering and MBA) back making $65k a year.

Somebody making $125k a year has zero excuse. You take out the loans, you pay back the loans.

The government wanted everybody to go to college, colleges took advantage of the cheap money to expand, and like a typical government largess program the taxpayer takes it in the shorts once again.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:44 pm Image
:notworthy:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

No shit, they could at least give more tax breaks to help out struggling bidnizmen like Bezos and Gates :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:41 am

Somebody making $125k a year has zero excuse. You take out the loans, you pay back the loans.

The government wanted everybody to go to college, colleges took advantage of the cheap money to expand, and like a typical government largess program the taxpayer takes it in the shorts once again.
You are disciplined, without kids, and live in a relatively low COL area (I’m guessing?).

I have close friends, both who make 6 figures. Humble house, average vehicles, far from extravagant lifestyle, but two kids. Both payed loans well into their 40’s.

I’d say you are the outlier.

Like I said before, a consumer based economy is supported by them spending every dime rather than being disciplined and single like you.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:35 am
kalm wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:46 pm

You’d still hit it… :kisswink:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

You're very fortunate that women don't want to have your babies :coffee:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:03 am

You are disciplined, without kids, and live in a relatively low COL area (I’m guessing?).

I have close friends, both who make 6 figures. Humble house, average vehicles, far from extravagant lifestyle, but two kids. Both payed loans well into their 40’s.

I’d say you are the outlier.

Like I said before, a consumer based economy is supported by them spending every dime rather than being disciplined and single like you.

I also worked two jobs and never ate out, nor drank at all. Drove a vehicle that was older than me and lived in a very cheap apartment (not a nice area). My area's COL at the time was comparable to your area (looked this up multiple times when job hunting).

My dad did something similar but had a family (4 kids) on a $50k a year job and graduated with a 2 year degree with zero debt. I know multiple people with families (2 kids average) with similar circumstances and both parents loans were paid off by mid to late 30's.

And I am far from an outlier around here, just because we have a consumer economy does not mean one has to follow that. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and saying "you must spend your money and not pay back your loans". We all have a choice.

Do some people need help, sure, most do not and life isn't a bed of roses. Some choices have lasting repercussions.

Guess making responsible decisions means that I should be punished by the democratic party. And in that respect I hope they do forgive $10k in student loans, as in a year or so, they will need to do the same again as the only thing they are doing is rewarding bad behavior (student and college). And for those that paid their loans by their own choice, this will just cement more resentment and drive a bigger wedge in some voters.

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:04 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:35 am

I drove a Peterbuilt. :kisswink: Kenworth folks are like the inbred Kentucky hillbillies......

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:27 am
kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:04 am

I drove a Peterbuilt. :kisswink: Kenworth folks are like the inbred Kentucky hillbillies......
So what about the Volvo folks?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:32 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:27 am

So what about the Volvo folks?
Those are the Euro version of the above.