Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Ron Desantis declares war on Disney

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:31 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:51 pm

1). I didn’t make the connection. I’m just pointing out why it’s not a hard one to make.

2). 20th century fascism didn’t happen overnight. I’m also not saying we’re there yet.
20th century fascism didn't look like anything we are seeing today. People seem to have little to no knowledge of what 1920's Italy and Germany looked like and how the fascists movements even came about, how they operated, and what they turned into. Again, comparing anything that is going on in politics today in America to Nazi Germany or Hitler belies what that fascism looked like and how it came about. It's lazy and it's historically untruthful. In the words of Ryan Gosling, "be better than the Gap".
Well said. :agree:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:55 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:48 am

Is this where Republicans go after companies that have a difference of opinion? Doesn't seem very smart considering that Disney donates mostly to Republicans and doing this will saddle those two counties, and it's citizens, with massive debt. Also - it's nice to seethe Florida Republicans bring this up for debate on the floor....oh wait. They didn't.

The idea of teaching K-3 about sex, gender, etc.. is unnecessary and 100% politically motivated.

-Disney started the fight
-They did more than voice their opinion- they pledged to fight the bill.
-When that difference of opinion is sexualizing small children they should be gone after..
The good news is that they can both lose :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:17 am Ron DeSantis Disney attack violates Republican principles, GOP rival says
“I don’t believe that government should be punitive against private businesses because we disagree with them,” the Arkansas governor said, referring to the law DeSantis signed last week dissolving Disney’s 55-year right to self-government through its special taxing district in Florida.

“That’s not the right approach … to me it’s the old Republican principle of having a restrained government.”
“[But] let’s do the right thing. It’s a fair debate about the special tax privileges, I understand that debate. But let’s not go after businesses and punish them because we disagree with what they say.
It appears that the Republican Party still has some voices of reason.
Boy..that guy is about to be run out of the GOP.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:14 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:17 am Ron DeSantis Disney attack violates Republican principles, GOP rival says

It appears that the Republican Party still has some voices of reason.
And maybe activist companies shouldn't hitch their wagon to the fickle beast that is the government.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:20 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:14 am
And maybe activist companies shouldn't hitch their wagon to the fickle beast that is the government.
How about companies in general? :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:29 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:20 am

How about companies in general? :lol:
From my perspective, yes. :D From a business perspective, remaining neutral and not taking a stance may get you some bad press (briefly) but at least you will not burn the tax break bridges you bought/paid for.

All Disney had to do was keep the same official stance they had been taking but decided to listen to a vocal minority (less than 50 people in their employ I read) and then they decided to double down on it. Which gave DeSantis the perfect opportunity to expand his base and create a headline.

I have not read the full original contract (nor am I good at contract law) so I cannot speak for how it is going to turn out, but my assumption is both sides are going to claim victory in the upcoming lawsuits. And rest assured that Disney did burn those bridges and while they may claim an initial victory in the contract, my guess is there will be a law passed revoking their contract at the earliest legal opportunity.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

The strike against Disney that brought Gov. Ron DeSantis a windfall of campaign cash and weeks of glowing coverage from conservative media has also generated something the Florida Republican rarely experiences these days: criticism from the political right.

A handful of high-profile Republicans have expressed their unease with the punitive actions DeSantis took against the Walt Disney Company after its CEO spoke out against a new Florida measure restricting certain classroom instruction about sexual orientation and gender identity. A fellow Republican governor, an ally of former President Donald Trump and the single largest donor to DeSantis' reelection campaign are among those now questioning DeSantis for retaliating against a private enterprise.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/06/politics ... index.html

Can't go pissing off your largest single donor....