Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

A Loaded Gun To A 4-Year Old

Post by kalm »

Most of us are complicit here. It’s a fantastic and well researched piece. A little something for everyone but no one who participates gets out unscathed. I highly recommend reading the entire article…especially the parts about the “Hidden Tribes Study”. Again…neither side gets out alive. Oh…and it’s probably all going to get worse before it gets better.

The Tower of Babel…
As a social psychologist who studies emotion, morality, and politics, I saw this happening too. The newly tweaked platforms were almost perfectly designed to bring out our most moralistic and least reflective selves. The volume of outrage was shocking.

It was just this kind of twitchy and explosive spread of anger that James Madison had tried to protect us from as he was drafting the U.S. Constitution. The Framers of the Constitution were excellent social psychologists. They knew that democracy had an Achilles’ heel because it depended on the collective judgment of the people, and democratic communities are subject to “the turbulency and weakness of unruly passions.” The key to designing a sustainable republic, therefore, was to build in mechanisms to slow things down, cool passions, require compromise, and give leaders some insulation from the mania of the moment while still holding them accountable to the people periodically, on Election Day.

The tech companies that enhanced virality from 2009 to 2012 brought us deep into Madison’s nightmare. Many authors quote his comments in “Federalist No. 10” on the innate human proclivity toward “faction,” by which he meant our tendency to divide ourselves into teams or parties that are so inflamed with “mutual animosity” that they are “much more disposed to vex and oppress each other than to cooperate for their common good.”

The most reliable cure for confirmation bias is interaction with people who don’t share your beliefs. They confront you with counterevidence and counterargument. John Stuart Mill said, “He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that,” and he urged us to seek out conflicting views “from persons who actually believe them.” People who think differently and are willing to speak up if they disagree with you make you smarter, almost as if they are extensions of your own brain. People who try to silence or intimidate their critics make themselves stupider, almost as if they are shooting darts into their own brain………………….

This, I believe, is what happened to many of America’s key institutions in the mid-to-late 2010s. They got stupider en masse because social media instilled in their members a chronic fear of getting darted. The shift was most pronounced in universities, scholarly associations, creative industries, and political organizations at every level (national, state, and local), and it was so pervasive that it established new behavioral norms backed by new policies seemingly overnight. The new omnipresence of enhanced-virality social media meant that a single word uttered by a professor, leader, or journalist, even if spoken with positive intent, could lead to a social-media firestorm, triggering an immediate dismissal or a drawn-out investigation by the institution. Participants in our key institutions began self-censoring to an unhealthy degree, holding back critiques of policies and ideas—even those presented in class by their students—that they believed to be ill-supported or wrong.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... kzfD2YLVRE
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: A Loaded Gun To A 4-Year Old

Post by Winterborn »

Read that last week and it raises some interesting points that has long been know (that society is held together by common beliefs).

And I think the article (and your point) about it becoming worse before it gets better is pessimistic. I know more younger people then ever that are not on or only use Social Media rarely. Younger grade school kids seem to be on it more, but once they hit college and real life, that usage wanes a bit (look at the user population of all the Social Media companies and where their growth is, hint it is not in America).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:07 am Read that last week and it raises some interesting points that has long been know (that society is held together by common beliefs).

And I think the article (and your point) about it becoming worse before it gets better is pessimistic. I know more younger people then ever that are not on or only use Social Media rarely. Younger grade school kids seem to be on it more, but once they hit college and real life, that usage wanes a bit (look at the user population of all the Social Media companies and where their growth is, hint it is not in America).
Well I’m an optimistic realist. Hence my qualifier “probably”. ;)

Agreed regarding younger gens. My boys view Facebook as gross. But they still begrudgingly follow Twitter, Reddit, and twitch. Although it sounds like their engagement is observatory versus participatory.

Still, their age demographic is a minority and they are not yet the ones in positions of power and influence.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:15 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:07 am Read that last week and it raises some interesting points that has long been know (that society is held together by common beliefs).

Agreed regarding younger gens. My boys view Facebook as gross. But they still begrudgingly follow Twitter, Reddit, and twitch. Although it sounds like their engagement is observatory versus participatory.

Still, their age demographic is a minority and they are not yet the ones in positions of power and influence.
That is a good qualifier. :D

But for some reason on this topic I am more optimistic than most others. Sociologists like to issue dire pronouncements about society and while I think they have a point, they tend to be overly dramatic. Humans are a very adaptable species and while I do think certain cultural "glue" norms are changing, there are others that are taking their place and some of the traditional ones are seeing a resurgence. What I do think is happening is that people are finally waking up to life in general and being more observant on what is going on around them. Whether that is events or products they interact with. Nothing is more boring newswise than good news.

And the point about the younger generation while technically true, the ones in power don't understand it either as they are too old. Social Media will find it's equilibrium just like other inventions (telephone? Texting?, etc.) and we will adapt to the good portions of it while understanding the drawbacks. Of course there will always be the idiots that seem to rise to the top and trends we can complain about, but on the whole I am not worried.

I tend to take a 10+ year view of certain topics (it is why I am a fiscal conservative/libertarian :kisswink: ) and this helps me avoid the "noise" that is pushed so much these days.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:32 am

But for some reason on this topic I am more optimistic than most others. Sociologists like to issue dire pronouncements about society and while I think they have a point, they tend to be overly dramatic. Humans are a very adaptable species and while I do think certain cultural "glue" norms are changing, there are others that are taking their place and some of the traditional ones are seeing a resurgence. What I do think is happening is that people are finally waking up to life in general and being more observant on what is going on around them. Whether that is events or products they interact with. Nothing is more boring newswise than good news.

And the point about the younger generation while technically true, the ones in power don't understand it either as they are too old. Social Media will find it's equilibrium just like other inventions (telephone? Texting?, etc.) and we will adapt to the good portions of it while understanding the drawbacks. Of course there will always be the idiots that seem to rise to the top and trends we can complain about, but on the whole I am not worried.

I tend to take a 10+ year view of certain topics (it is why I am a fiscal conservative/libertarian :kisswink: ) and this helps me avoid the "noise" that is pushed so much these days.
I’d like to think you’re right and I lean the same direction.

I can’t remember if I mentioned it to you but in case not, read Strauss and Howe’s The Fourth Turning”. You will enjoy it immensely. It also largely agrees with your sentiments here.

:nod:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:39 am
I’d like to think you’re right and I lean the same direction.

I can’t remember if I mentioned it to you but in case not, read Strauss and Howe’s The Fourth Turning”. You will enjoy it immensely. It also largely agrees with your sentiments here.

:nod:
I have ran across that title before but never pulled the trigger on purchasing it.

But it is now added to the book list. :thumb:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

“No farm animals. Everyone is pushing small town rural. A farm book would just be white noise…” - Miles Finch, Elf
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:31 pm

“No farm animals. Everyone is pushing small town rural. A farm book would just be white noise…” - Miles Finch, Elf
I do not think I have ever heard an Elf quote used in that context. :lol:

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:48 am

Sorry. First thing that came to mind with your last statement…. :lol: :mrgreen:

By the way: His first idea? A PEACH THAT LIVES ON A FARM!!! What’s more small town rural than that?? :lol: :lol:

I mean, I WILL admit it’s better than a book about a tribe of asparagus that’s self conscious that their pee smells…. :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:17 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:48 am

Sorry. First thing that came to mind with your last statement…. :lol: :mrgreen:

By the way: His first idea? A PEACH THAT LIVES ON A FARM!!! What’s more small town rural than that?? :lol: :lol:

I mean, I WILL admit it’s better than a book about a tribe of asparagus that’s self conscious that their pee smells…. :coffee: :coffee:
Well done.

Good read Kalm, some excellent points in the article. I also have "The Fourth Turning" on my "to read" list as well. :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Small town rural is what will feed America when the corporate farmers become China's food source.

All you fuckers will be about "..yeah ol houndawg was right again...should have paid more attention, thought he'd always be here to help us through life..."
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:35 am

Small town rural is what will feed America when the corporate farmers become China's food source.

All you fuckers will be about "..yeah ol houndawg was right again...should have paid more attention, thought he'd always be here to help us through life..."
:lol:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

We just need to plow up the worthless golf courses and grow actual productive crops.
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dbackjon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:08 pm

We just need to plow up the worthless golf courses and grow actual productive crops.
No…they turn then into real estate. :ohno:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:18 pm

They've always been real estate...but I assume you mean they planted houses :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dbackjon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:16 pm
kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:18 pm

They've always been real estate...but I assume you mean they planted houses :nod:
Or commercial.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:18 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:16 pm

Or commercial.
Strip mall with a Subway, nail salon, family dentist, barber shop and a liquor store. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

I don't know, I'm kind of sentimental about them. Used to get a ton of pussy at the 14th green and 15th tee of the Sunset Whitney course in Rocklin...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:41 pm
kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:18 pm

Or commercial.
Strip mall with a Subway, nail salon, family dentist, barber shop and a liquor store. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
In Phoenix it also includes some type of -Bertos or other taco shop