Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Culture Wars

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:53 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:33 pm

And suddenly, just like that, real science becomes important again. :lol:
Please tell me when it wasn’t? Donks scream “follow the science”, and yet they ignore it at literally every turn by making claims like:

* men can have babies. They can’t
* men can have periods. They can’t
* climate science is settled. It’s not
* aborted full term babies aren’t people. They are
* gender can be chosen. It cannot
* you can identify as anything you want. Identifying as a tree doesn’t make you a tree
* and on and on and on

Yeah. Follow the science. They literally NEVER follow the science.
So you agree that people should follow the science then.

Cool!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:19 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:55 pm

Climate science is not settled but water levels are rising and the occurrence of extreme climate events (heat, fires, etc.) seem to be at a level not seen in a 100+ years. Acting like everything is hunky dory and we should sit on our hands waiting for God to take care of us is stupid.
Please show me where I said that??
You didn't but there are plenty of people saying that climate science isn't settled who want to ignore that we are experiencing extreme climate events and concern is justified.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:35 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:53 pm

Please tell me when it wasn’t? Donks scream “follow the science”, and yet they ignore it at literally every turn by making claims like:

* men can have babies. They can’t
* men can have periods. They can’t
* climate science is settled. It’s not
* aborted full term babies aren’t people. They are
* gender can be chosen. It cannot
* you can identify as anything you want. Identifying as a tree doesn’t make you a tree
* and on and on and on

Yeah. Follow the science. They literally NEVER follow the science.

Cool!
Who's science? As we've all seen, science in many instances is shades of grey, but many believe it is either all wrong or all right. In addition, we see one side always trying to shut down discussion, which isn't science at all.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:38 am
kalm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:35 am

Cool!
Who's science? As we've all seen, science in many instances is shades of grey, but many believe it is either all wrong or all right. In addition, we see one side always trying to shut down discussion, which isn't science at all.
There is no who’s science.

You’re following “the science” right now typing your next response.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:12 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:38 am

If there is no "who's science", then why does anyone opposing the Global warming or Covid narrative, or closer to this thread topic, gender, get censored and removed from the discussion?

If you really think about it, I've been pointing this out for years with the Intelligent Design threads.

Also posted real life examples that opened my eyes to what was happening with science years ago.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:35 am

You didn't but there are plenty of people saying that climate science isn't settled who want to ignore that we are experiencing extreme climate events and concern is justified.
yes, concern is justified, and we should be good shepherds of the planet...its the concept of "man made warming" and that we're the PRIMARY cause ignoring other proven factors and then wanting to send us back to the stone age and destroy economies and lives as a result....that is NOT following the science, nor is the science settled.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:51 am
kalm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:12 am

If there is no "who's science", then why does anyone opposing the Global warming or Covid narrative, or closer to this thread topic, gender, get censored and removed from the discussion?

If you really think about it, I've been pointing this out for years with the Intelligent Design threads.

Also posted real life examples that opened my eyes to what was happening with science years ago.
There’s tons of uncensored GW and Covid narratives out there. Maybe you’re not looking in the right places?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:27 am
yes, concern is justified, and we should be good shepherds of the planet...its the concept of "man made warming" and that we're the PRIMARY cause ignoring other proven factors and then wanting to send us back to the stone age and destroy economies and lives as a result....that is NOT following the science, nor is the science settled.
As usual, you and I aren't that far apart. I believe that humankind is contributing to the warming. How much is debatable and while it might not be the primary cause, I think it's significant. Democrats want to be heavy-handed while Republicans want to pretend the problem doesn't exist or isn't significant. The answer, as usual, is somewhere in the middle. I agree that sending us back to the stone age isn't the answer. We should be making better use of known sources (nuclear), innovation and financial incentives. China needs to be held to the same standard as the west when it comes to reducing their impact.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:45 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:51 am

There’s tons of uncensored GW and Covid narratives out there. Maybe you’re not looking in the right places?
I'm talking about funding, acceptance and even discussion.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

You mean like Al Gore and John Kerry right? They really walk the walk.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

I posted, then deleted, but want to repost.

Listen to this guy. He's vilified because he takes funding from the fossil fuel industry, but is anyone willing to debate him? It's about substance, not source when science is concerned.

UNI, he addresses extreme events in the last quarter of his discussion.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:47 am

As usual, you and I aren't that far apart. I believe that humankind is contributing to the warming. How much is debatable and while it might not be the primary cause, I think it's significant. Democrats want to be heavy-handed while Republicans want to pretend the problem doesn't exist or isn't significant. The answer, as usual, is somewhere in the middle. I agree that sending us back to the stone age isn't the answer. We should be making better use of known sources (nuclear), innovation and financial incentives. China needs to be held to the same standard as the west when it comes to reducing their impact.
I don't think Republicans want to "pretend the problem doesn't exist"....but we DO want to solve the problem within the context of our place in the world and not destroying our country and economy simultaneously. That simply can NOT be the solution. Additionally, tying BOTH of America's hands behind her back while simultaneously ignoring the vastly larger amount of pollution pumped into the air, land and water by countries like China and India is, per usual, a disingenuous double standard that is applied by the left and makes all their blathering about wanting to "save the world and the environment" just a bunch of hot air...meanwhile they jet around the world in their private jets and feel better about themselves because they purchase carbon offsets.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:19 pm

I don't think Republicans want to "pretend the problem doesn't exist"....but we DO want to solve the problem within the context of our place in the world and not destroying our country and economy simultaneously. That simply can NOT be the solution. Additionally, tying BOTH of America's hands behind her back while simultaneously ignoring the vastly larger amount of pollution pumped into the air, land and water by countries like China and India is, per usual, a disingenuous double standard that is applied by the left and makes all their blathering about wanting to "save the world and the environment" just a bunch of hot air...meanwhile they jet around the world in their private jets and feel better about themselves because they purchase carbon offsets.
Problem is, in our political world and discourse, there are some, exclusively GOP'ers, who do deny that the problem exists. And because of our media and our politics those views are amplified and it looks like more people actually believe that.

The rest of your post is right - the best way to solve this issue is with innovation and with new technologies, and the Climate Change lobby has been way too long focused on draconian measures (for others, not themselves as you indicate) that have no chance of working and even if they did, no one would want to live in that world. The Greens vilified nuclear power for so long that the easiest and greenest solution we have hasn't been used enough, and have even convinced early adopters of nuclear, like Germany, to give all that up (to disastrous effect in terms of both climate and in terms of geo-politics like we're seeing in Ukraine right now). The big wild card has been and will be China, and to a lesser extent the rest of the third world. We could lower our pollution to zero and we would still have a problem globally.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Should we base our life on what others do? Or should we do things because they are right?

Regarding China, we are complicit in their pollution as well.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:36 pm

Should we base our life on what others do? Or should we do things because they are right?

If you think hard enough, we can be complicit in everything. That's a great rhetorical tool, but it doesn't get us anywhere practically.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:45 pm

If you think hard enough, we can be complicit in everything. That's a great rhetorical tool, but it doesn't get us anywhere practically.
Yes, it’s philosophical. That’s one of today’s great debates for me is short term pragmatism at the expense of long term benefit.

Remember you and I discussing free trade and protectionism in the past? At the least Covid exposed some issues with offshoring key things to China. Back then you poo poo’d the arguments of offshoring to countries with lax environmental standards. And now, whether we agree or not, China is positioned to kick our ass on renewable tech. And the rest of the world is buying.

So yeah…color me rhetorical I guess. I’m just appreciating more and more as I get older that principle matters and doing the right thing has long term rewards.

You’ll get there someday, kid. :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:38 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:28 pm

Yes, trying to sexualize children at a young age is very bothersome. It's a hill worth dying on imo. Pointing out that anyone defending the sexualization of children as a groomer is the appropriate course of action.
No one here is defending the sexualization of children. The current use of “groomer” is right wing sheep bleating which only cheapens accusations of actual child pedophilia (see “me too” movement).
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:41 pm

No one here is defending the sexualization of children. The current use of “groomer” is right wing sheep bleating which only cheapens accusations of actual child pedophilia (see “me too” movement).
This is part of the whole "false premise" thing the "conservative" (not really) side is doing right now. You can agree or disagree with what is going on, but it's not trying to "sexualize" children. It's stuff like trying to normalize a situation in which a child at school has two parents who are both male.

You can disagree with doing that. But it's not trying to "sexualize" children. It is attempt to protect children from derision. To try to keep them from feeling like there is something wrong with their situation. We really, really need to ditch the influence of the White Evangelical Christian nuts that dominate the Republican Party. That's what is really going on here. Outsized influence by the Christian Right.

You've got people that think that a collection of myths written between about 3900 and 1900 years ago is the absolute truth dominating one of the two major political parties. They are completely screwing us up.

A few years ago I was on line defending them. But that time as passed. These people need to be defeated and eliminated as a significant factor in the direction of the country.
Yeah sure, these people are just trying to educate these young kids...

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

I believe it's changing but the cause isn't settled. I also think we should be good stewards of the earth but am against draconian regulations that negatively impact economic growth because "climate change". As klammy would say, this is all very nuanced...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BuT iTs NoT tAuGhT iN sChOoLs

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Did I say we should base our life on what others do? Reread my post and get back to me. :ohno:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:03 pm

BOOM :lol: :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter