SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Culture Wars

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:00 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:54 pm

Who gets to determine psychological abuse?
A doctor.
Appointed by who?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:41 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:48 am

What should a school worker do when an apparent LGBT+ student needs support and isn't getting it at home?

I ask because I'm pretty sure those students are at significantly greater risk of committing suicide so I don't think saying it's the parent's domain and none of the school worker's business is the right answer.

Anecdotal story:
My HS got a bunch of Apple II computers (about same time as the Commodore 64) my senior year and created a programming class. The class was almost exclusively taken by students who were likely going to college except for one kid. He was a bit of a loner but he was an absolutely brilliant programmer. I took a number of computer science classes in college and worked in and around IT for 12 years and he was the best I ever saw. While I was away at college I heard that he had committed suicide. It turns out that he was gay, his home life was sh!t and his parents couldn't handle who he was. The world lost a brilliant programmer who might have created something life-changing for society because of intolerance and fear of people who are different.

I don't want teachers encouraging students to be LGBT+ but they should be able to provide support for those that have self-identified without being labeled groomers. Talking to students about how people are different isn't a bad thing either. Helping to develop tolerance and understanding is good.
Tough situation. Parents have the ultimate say as it's their responsibility. Some parents suck, and will suck at dealing with issues like this, but allowing the state to interject itself (so long as no physical harm is present) isn't the right move imo.
Point being that it isn't a black and white distinction. Not all school workers who want to talk about LGBT+ are groomers and talking about it isn't absolutely a bad thing. There will be students who have 2 moms or 2 dads or similar. There will be students, especially older ones, who are attracted to the same gender or don't feel comfortable with the body/gender of their birth. Showing them that there have been others with similar situations/conflicts will help them feel accepted and hopefully find their own way. Demonstrating compassion and acceptance is IMO the Christian thing to do. Grooming kids is wrong but so is being closed-minded and hateful.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:20 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:41 pm

Tough situation. Parents have the ultimate say as it's their responsibility. Some parents suck, and will suck at dealing with issues like this, but allowing the state to interject itself (so long as no physical harm is present) isn't the right move imo.
Point being that it isn't a black and white distinction. Not all school workers who want to talk about LGBT+ are groomers and talking about it isn't absolutely a bad thing. There will be students who have 2 moms or 2 dads or similar. There will be students, especially older ones, who are attracted to the same gender or don't feel comfortable with the body/gender of their birth. Showing them that there have been others with similar situations/conflicts will help them feel accepted and hopefully find their own way. Demonstrating compassion and acceptance is IMO the Christian thing to do. Grooming kids is wrong but so is being closed-minded and hateful.
Depends on the situation, but anyone wanting to have/supporting sexual conversations with young kids is a groomer. That part certainly is black and white.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:29 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:20 pm
Depends on the situation, but anyone wanting to have/supporting sexual conversations with young kids is a groomer. That part certainly is black and white.
I don't think it's that black and white. Are Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union (Zaya, 13, came out as transgender last year) groomers? I would argue that they're loving and supporting parents. Unfortunately, many confused kids don't have that kind of support at home.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:19 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:29 pm

I don't think it's that black and white. Are Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union (Zaya, 13, came out as transgender last year) groomers? I would argue that they're loving and supporting parents. Unfortunately, many confused kids don't have that kind of support at home.
13 is a lot different than a 5-8 year old that the Florida bill targeted.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:05 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:19 pm I don't think it's that black and white. Are Dwyane Wade and Gabrielle Union (Zaya, 13, came out as transgender last year) groomers? I would argue that they're loving and supporting parents. Unfortunately, many confused kids don't have that kind of support at home.
Yes, it is. 5-8 year olds are way too young to being have serious discussions about sexuality. They aren't however necessarily being "groomed" if their library includes books where a family has 2 dads or 2 moms or if a transvestite reads them a library book.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:16 pm

Yes, it is. 5-8 year olds are way too young to being have serious discussions about sexuality. They aren't however necessarily being "groomed" if their library includes books where a family has 2 dads or 2 moms or if a transvestite reads them a library book.
Schools do not need to be bringing transvestites in to read to 5-8 year olds just because they are trans. They also do not need teachers pushing books about trans, sex, or anything else to kids that are 5-8 years old.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:48 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:16 pm Yes, it is. 5-8 year olds are way too young to being have serious discussions about sexuality. They aren't however necessarily being "groomed" if their library includes books where a family has 2 dads or 2 moms or if a transvestite reads them a library book.
Schools do not need to be bringing transvestites in to read to 5-8 year olds just because they are trans. They also do not need teachers pushing books about trans, sex, or anything else to kids that are 5-8 years old.
Should a transvestite not be allowed to read to 5-8 year olds? Is it automatically cause for alarm and claims of grooming?

Should books that include families with 2 dads or 2 moms be banned from elementary school libraries or classrooms?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 pm

Should a transvestite not be allowed to read to 5-8 year olds? Is it automatically cause for alarm and claims of grooming?

Should books that include families with 2 dads or 2 moms be banned from elementary school libraries or classrooms?
Re-read what I said on the trans reading issue.

And the 2nd one depends on what is in it and how it is presented. Too many variables for a blanket statement.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 pm

Yes and maybe.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Bingo. This isn't a controversial thing, you are either pro-groomer or not. It's black and white. Now the age at which these conversations may be debatable, but no doubt elementary school aged kids is way to young. Anyone pushing/supporting sexual discussions with kids of this age are groomers. Not hard to understand.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 pm Should a transvestite not be allowed to read to 5-8 year olds? Is it automatically cause for alarm and claims of grooming?

Re-read what I said on the trans reading issue.

And the 2nd one depends on what is in it and how it is presented. Too many variables for a blanket statement.
Fair enough.

If a teacher asks for parents to read to a class and and a transvestite Dad volunteers, should they be allowed to read a story to the class?

Should all books with gay parents be banned from elementary libraries/classrooms? There are plenty of insecure MAGAts that would think they should and believe that any attempt to talk about nontraditional families is grooming.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

What about the subliminal grooming of math books exposing kids to "=" signs? De Santis seems to be the only one that has spotted it so far. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:23 am

What about the subliminal grooming of math books exposing kids to "=" signs? De Santis seems to be the only one that has spotted it so far. :coffee:
Uncle Houndy on a roll.

:notworthy:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:26 pm

Bingo. This isn't a controversial thing, you are either pro-groomer or not. It's black and white. Now the age at which these conversations may be debatable, but no doubt elementary school aged kids is way to young. Anyone pushing/supporting sexual discussions with kids of this age are groomers. Not hard to understand.
Elementary school goes to 5th or 6th grade depending on the school. That means 12 and 13 year olds. Are you saying that 12 and 13 is too young to be having discussions about sexual education? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:07 am

Elementary school goes to 5th or 6th grade depending on the school. That means 12 and 13 year olds. Are you saying that 12 and 13 is too young to be having discussions about sexual education? :coffee:
No, that mostly means 10-12 yr olds, excluding kids who flunked a grade or started a year late. Also I believe some states elementary is only through 4th grade

Pre K :5-6 yrs old
1St: 6-7
2nd: 7-8
3rd: 8-9
4th: 9-10
5th: 10-11
6th: 11-12

7th: 12-13
8th: 13-14
9th: 14-15
10th: 15-16
11th: 16-17
12th: 17–18 yrs old

Elementary schools have no business having discussions about sex ed.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:25 am

No, that mostly means 10-12 yr olds, excluding kids who flunked a grade or started a year late. Also I believe some states elementary is only through 4th grade

Well, one guy is saying 5-8 years old is too young, and now you're saying 10-12 years old is too young. Puberty happens between ages 10-14 typically for girls and 12-16 for boys. I agree with the 5-8 years old, but if you're saying 12 years old are too young for sex ed then I think you're be overly obtuse.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:23 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:25 am

Well, one guy is saying 5-8 years old is too young, and now you're saying 10-12 years old is too young. Puberty happens between ages 10-14 typically for girls and 12-16 for boys. I agree with the 5-8 years old, but if you're saying 12 years old are too young for sex ed then I think you're be overly obtuse.
How many of us on here 13 years of secondary school back in K through 12th grade (I’m assuming for almost everyone here was between the 1970s and and 2000s) were introduced to the trans ideology. I wasn’t (mix of public and private)
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:59 pm

How many of us on here 13 years of secondary school back in K through 12th grade (I’m assuming for almost everyone here was between the 1970s and and 2000s) were introduced to the trans ideology. I wasn’t (mix of public and private)
Why do you think that is?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:23 am

It’s why all the blue states have shifted to “new” math… :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Only in your State.... :mrgreen:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Not me ('59 -'68) but they made up for it by introducing us to Turn on, Tune in, Drop out... :mrgreen:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm
It's topics like this that really screw with everyone's idea that i'm a librul or something - Schools have zero business in telling anyone child, K-6, about sex, gender, queerness, etc...If my 7 year old wants to know why 2 women are kissing she can ask me (she's "understands" gay people. I have a lesbian aunt so homosexuality isn't exactly foreign to her). The avg age of puberty aligns with grades 6-8 and that is the acceptable time, as it has been for generations, to teach sexual education. That's it.

Sexual Education is about biology, how babies are made and how to have safe sex (though abstinence should also be equally taught). Gender fluidity, trans, etc... - if to be taught at all should be taught that people that feel that way should talk to a parent, friend or counselor but regardless are humans and are deserving of respect.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:37 am
kalm wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

It's topics like this that really screw with everyone's idea that i'm a librul or something - Schools have zero business in telling anyone child, K-6, about sex, gender, queerness, etc...If my 7 year old wants to know why 2 women are kissing she can ask me (she's "understands" gay people. I have a lesbian aunt so homosexuality isn't exactly foreign to her). The avg age of puberty aligns with grades 6-8 and that is the acceptable time, as it has been for generations, to teach sexual education. That's it.

Sexual Education is about biology, how babies are made and how to have safe sex (though abstinence should also be equally taught). Gender fluidity, trans, etc... - if to be taught at all should be taught that people that feel that way should talk to a parent, friend or counselor but regardless are humans and are deserving of respect.
1). Not all parents are like you.

2). Not everyone has a lesbian aunt.

3). Part of the problem is semantic. Perhaps gender identity ed and biological sex ed are being conflated? What’s actually being taught and at what age, and how? And I’m not talking about random accusatory tweets. There’s a big difference between pornhub and teaching that people and relationships can be different. I think this is what UNI88 is getting at in part.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:44 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:37 am

1). Not all parents are like you.

2). Not everyone has a lesbian aunt.

3). Part of the problem is semantic. Perhaps gender identity ed and biological sex ed are being conflated? What’s actually being taught and at what age, and how? And I’m not talking about random accusatory tweets. There’s a big difference between pornhub and teaching that people and relationships can be different. I think this is what UNI88 is getting at in part.
You are correct but I also agree with Ibanez in regard to actually teaching sex ed to primary school students.

Ibanez, should your aunt be allowed to read a book to your daughter's class? Should a father who is a transvestite? Should your daughter's classroom or school library have books with non-traditional families (2 dads, 2 moms, etc.) on the shelves? Some would argue that allowing those things is grooming. I don't think it's that straightforward, showing examples of people with different relationships is not automatically grooming (propaganda/indoctrination).