Here We Go Again (Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Here We Go Again (Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here We Go Again (Grand Rapids, Michigan)

Post by GannonFan »

Certainly Monday morning QB-ing, but why did the cop, who was alone at the time, risk trying to chase down a fleeing motorist? Up to that point, the only thing the deceased had done, possibly, was steal a car or a license plate (he was pulled over as the plates didn't match the registered vehicle). I don't see any problem with the traffic stop, that should've happened, but was trying to take this guy on alone really the best option? This guy didn't seem like an imminent threat (i.e. he wasn't running away while brandishing a gun for instance) so why not just get back in the car and follow him while calling for backup? If I'm a white cop dealing with a black suspect, I'm not taking any chances.

Just to add, though, once he's in that spot and he's in that tussle with the guy, I don't fault him for shooting at that point - the chances of the guy getting your gun or taser go up significantly. However, that's even more reason to avoid a grappling match when you're on your own.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:00 am Certainly Monday morning QB-ing, but why did the cop, who was alone at the time, risk trying to chase down a fleeing motorist? Up to that point, the only thing the deceased had done, possibly, was steal a car or a license plate (he was pulled over as the plates didn't match the registered vehicle). I don't see any problem with the traffic stop, that should've happened, but was trying to take this guy on alone really the best option? This guy didn't seem like an imminent threat (i.e. he wasn't running away while brandishing a gun for instance) so why not just get back in the car and follow him while calling for backup? If I'm a white cop dealing with a black suspect, I'm not taking any chances.

Just to add, though, once he's in that spot and he's in that tussle with the guy, I don't fault him for shooting at that point - the chances of the guy getting your gun or taser go up significantly. However, that's even more reason to avoid a grappling match when you're on your own.

How old was the cop?

(Nobody should be allowed to exercise the powers of an LEO until they have a fully developed pre-frontal cortex.)
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:00 am Certainly Monday morning QB-ing, but why did the cop, who was alone at the time, risk trying to chase down a fleeing motorist? Up to that point, the only thing the deceased had done, possibly, was steal a car or a license plate (he was pulled over as the plates didn't match the registered vehicle). I don't see any problem with the traffic stop, that should've happened, but was trying to take this guy on alone really the best option? This guy didn't seem like an imminent threat (i.e. he wasn't running away while brandishing a gun for instance) so why not just get back in the car and follow him while calling for backup? If I'm a white cop dealing with a black suspect, I'm not taking any chances.

How old was the cop?

(Nobody should be allowed to exercise the powers of an LEO until they have a fully developed pre-frontal cortex.)
I think they said he's a 7 year veteran, so he's probably around 30 or so. If he was older he probably wouldn't have ran after him in the first place since he probably couldn't have.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 am

How old was the cop?

Which the perp obviously doesn’t have.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:12 pm
houndawg wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 am [/i][/b]

How old was the cop?

good thing he wasn't a cop
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:47 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:12 pm

No danger of that.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:50 am
houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:47 am

No danger of that.
he won't be disrespecin authority no more
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:56 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:50 am

No danger of that.
It really IS this simple….

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:26 am
houndawg wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:56 am

It really IS this simple….

Big difference between getting your ass kicked by the police and getting a bullet in the back of the head in broad daylight in the middle of the street. :coffee: