Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: January 6 - How much do you care?

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:46 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:22 am

How very nihilistic of you. If you think of things that way you can do whatever you want and always feel justified as nothing has any real justification.

Still doesn't change the fact that up until 1869 when we were changing the size of the Court on occasion, we were doing so to adjust to increasing workloads and/or to give better coverage to a country that was geographically expanding and becoming hard to manage with fewer justices. I don't see the same problem today, at the SCOTUS level, with being able to handle the workload.
Missed this one. Aka realistic.
Only if we seek the lowest common denominator. I think we've been better than that in the past and no reason to think we can't be better than that in the future.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:22 am
How very nihilistic of you. If you think of things that way you can do whatever you want and always feel justified as nothing has any real justification.

Still doesn't change the fact that up until 1869 when we were changing the size of the Court on occasion, we were doing so to adjust to increasing workloads and/or to give better coverage to a country that was geographically expanding and becoming hard to manage with fewer justices. I don't see the same problem today, at the SCOTUS level, with being able to handle the workload.
Missed this one. Aka trumpian.
FYP

Wanting to "do whatever you want and always feel justified" is trumpian, not realistic.

And like many illiberals you're so focused on using maximizing representation (SCOTUS should grow as the country grows) t get your way that you don't consider two things:
  1. What will happen when the Republicans are in power and respond in kind?
  2. The larger SCOTUS (or Congress) becomes the less effective it will be. The larger a body is the more cumbersome it becomes and the less it actually accomplishes.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:16 pm

FYP

Wanting to "do whatever you want and always feel justified" is trumpian, not realistic.

And like many illiberals you're so focused on using maximizing representation (SCOTUS should grow as the country grows) t get your way that you don't consider two things:
  2. The larger SCOTUS (or Congress) becomes the less effective it will be. The larger a body is the more cumbersome it becomes and the less it actually accomplishes.
Yes…change and democracy can indeed be scary. I agree. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:49 pm
FYP

So trump is for democracy now? Come on Morty, make up your mind.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:02 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:49 pm

Hey, kalmie was one of the first on here to embrace a lot of Trumpian things - remember when kalmie was all behind Trump's tarriffs and protectionist agenda. They were like twinsies. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:25 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Hey, kalmie was one of the first on here to embrace a lot of Trumpian things - remember when kalmie was all behind Trump's tarriffs and protectionist agenda. They were like twinsies. :coffee:
Yeah…I’m a big fan of domestic manufacturing, labor rights, environmental protection. Of course Bernie was too…decades before Trump. Covid, ongoing supply chain, and climate issues strengthened that point.

I’m sorry you and your Chinese masters and neo-liberal multi-nationalists are not.

Lol.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:01 pm

Yeah…I’m a big fan of domestic manufacturing, labor rights, environmental protection. Of course Bernie was too…decades before Trump. Covid, ongoing supply chain, and climate issues strengthened that point.

I’m sorry you and your Chinese masters and neo-liberal multi-nationalists are not.

Lol.
trump and Bernie sitting in a tree ...
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Lol.
Ha, great stuff. Remember, I'm actually in domestic manufacturing so I actually have a clue of what I'm talking about, not just fun political talking points. Plenty of other countries out there who aren't China and shockingly, people have been leaving China in droves over the past decade as they've gotten all dark and foreboding. But, we still make a boatload of stuff here in the US, in fact, more than we ever had. What you and Bernie don't seem to understand, though, is the level of automation that goes along with that. We have fewer people employed today than before, but make a heckuva lot more now than we ever have. It's the price of domestic manufacture in the world's biggest economy. But go on, tell me more about these tariffs and other protectionist stuff. Oh wait, I'll just turn on FOX News and see what Trump is saying. :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:15 am

Lol.
Ha, great stuff. Remember, I'm actually in domestic manufacturing so I actually have a clue of what I'm talking about, not just fun political talking points. Plenty of other countries out there who aren't China and shockingly, people have been leaving China in droves over the past decade as they've gotten all dark and foreboding. But, we still make a boatload of stuff here in the US, in fact, more than we ever had. What you and Bernie don't seem to understand, though, is the level of automation that goes along with that. We have fewer people employed today than before, but make a heckuva lot more now than we ever have. It's the price of domestic manufacture in the world's biggest economy. But go on, tell me more about these tariffs and other protectionist stuff. Oh wait, I'll just turn on FOX News and see what Trump is saying. :rofl:
That’s better and believe it or not I actually do consider your opinions and experience. I just disagree with neoliberalism in the long run. We’ve had this debate for a decade. Nothing new.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

FYP

Yeah, thats probably the best we could hope for - gridlock.

I bet Sammy "the Weasel" Alito is getting a lot of side eye from the Republican Party over his timing on overturning Roe. :lol:

Of course, nobody here, myself excluded, saw it body-slamming the Red Tsunami either. :coffee:

The reeklets lead the way insisting that abortion was way down the list of what voters thought was important. :lol:

I tried to tell them that Dobbs was saying they were wrong about that and that being anti-abortion was not the same thing as wanting abortion completely unavailable even to Republican congressmen. :coffee:

These evangelical types live in a different reality and just don't, can't, understand that they're actually a pretty small fraction of even Christians, let alone Americans. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:30 am

FYP

I bet Sammy "the Weasel" Alito is getting a lot of side eye from the Republican Party over his timing on overturning Roe. :lol:

Of course, nobody here, myself excluded, saw it body-slamming the Red Tsunami either. :coffee:

The reeklets lead the way insisting that abortion was way down the list of what voters thought was important. :lol:

I tried to tell them that Dobbs was saying they were wrong about that and that being anti-abortion was not the same thing as wanting abortion completely unavailable even to Republican congressmen. :coffee:

These evangelical types live in a different reality and just don't, can't, understand that they're actually a pretty small fraction of even Christians, let alone Americans. :ohno:
:nod:

The evangelical tail wagging the dog.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

FYP

:suspicious:
  • Abortion had an impact on the "red tsunami" but it was outweighed by trump's backing of horrible candidates and election denialism.
  • Jelly is the one and only reek. You and SG like to misuse the pejorative.
  • Like Evangelicals, progressives live in a different reality where they also just don't, can't, understand that they're actually a pretty small fraction of liberals.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:16 pm

• Abortion had an impact on the "red tsunami" but it was outweighed by trump's backing of horrible candidates and election denialism.
  • Like Evangelicals, progressives live in a different reality where they also just don't, can't, understand that they're actually a pretty small fraction of liberals.
That's it! You just made the list, Reek #5
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:09 pm

Nah…he’s more cunning. Plays both sides with a deft touch…

Lord Baelish!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:13 pm

Lord Baelish!
That one made me :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:13 pm

Lord Baelish!
:lol: :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

[*]All three had a big impact, and it took willful suspension of disbeliefto ignore the Kansas vote.
[*]reek2 and reek3 are often referred to as just reek
[*]You just like to make lists. My wife is the same way
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

I'm confused. Cassidy Hutchinson now says she was untruthful in regards to Trump wresting control of The Beast from the secret service. While I get this part, because it was obviously untrue when she spoke it, but she's saying a Trump affiliated lawyer instructed her to do so? She left that guy for a Dem affiliated lawyer one month before testifying, but yet was still following orders from her old lawyer?

Huh. Am I understanding her correctly?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:24 am I'm confused. Cassidy Hutchinson now says she was untruthful in regards to Trump wresting control of The Beast from the secret service. While I get this part, because it was obviously untrue when she spoke it, but she's saying a Trump affiliated lawyer instructed her to do so? She left that guy for a Dem affiliated lawyer one month before testifying, but yet was still following orders from her old lawyer?

Where did she say it was untrue?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:07 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:24 am I'm confused. Cassidy Hutchinson now says she was untruthful in regards to Trump wresting control of The Beast from the secret service. While I get this part, because it was obviously untrue when she spoke it, but she's saying a Trump affiliated lawyer instructed her to do so? She left that guy for a Dem affiliated lawyer one month before testifying, but yet was still following orders from her old lawyer?

Where did she say it was untrue?
https://www.businessinsider.com/lawyer- ... rt-2022-12
Jan. 6 committee says a Trump-connected lawyer advised Cassidy Hutchinson to mislead the committee on what she knew, CNN reports
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

an unnamed lawyer had advised their client to "tell the Committee that she did not recall facts when she actually did recall them."
how does that jive with what you're saying?

the unnamed lawyer told her to say she did not recall - not to fabricate story, which is what you're insinuating.

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:01 pm
an unnamed lawyer had advised their client to "tell the Committee that she did not recall facts when she actually did recall them."

the unnamed lawyer told her to say she did not recall - not to fabricate story, which is what you're insinuating.

I think the issue is that I immediately thought of her telling the story about the Beast, which was factually incorrect. Why would she fabricate a story that was untrue and throw away ALL credibility, when she simply could have said she had no knowledge. Essentially, she didn't remember, but made shit up.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:

Why did she “fabricate” a story?

Did the trump lawyer tell her to say she didn’t recall because told the lawyer the fabricated story?

What tangled webs we weave …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:54 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:01 pm

I think the issue is that I immediately thought of her telling the story about the Beast, which was factually incorrect. Why would she fabricate a story that was untrue and throw away ALL credibility, when she simply could have said she had no knowledge. Essentially, she didn't remember, but made shit up.
She said the story was second hand - and the SS boys who offered to refute her testimony under oath never did so. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

houndawg wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:57 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:54 am

She said the story was second hand - and the SS boys who offered to refute her testimony under oath never did so. :coffee:
She lied and now for some reason, the press is trying to build her up into the equivalent of Christine Blasey Ford.