Fixing America

Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Fixing America

Post by AZGrizFan »

Kalm’s off-the cuff comment about returning to the good old days, GF’s push and Kalm’s answer below seem to align nicely with something I’ve been thinking about for several days now. How do we “fix” America in a way that the vast majority of people could/would agree with? And it’s not as easy, klammy, as just opting out by saying “I’m not a details guy”….go ahead and recuse yourself, otherwise you look like Chizzy, firing off one-liners with zero substance to back them up.

So….how do we “FIX” America?
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:29 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:32 am

Still waiting for your solution for economic stability and wages that keep up with inflation (including a definition of what you consider "economic stability" to be, as well as your criteria for measuring wages in relation to inflation across the economic spectrum and the US geography). But you know, details. :coffee:
Is this CS, circa 2013? :lol:

I’m not a details guy. I’m the big picture guy and The Decider. I’ll leave the details up to you pencil pushers. Then I’ll make my decisions.

Measure wages historically and compared to other OECD countries. Measure hyperinflation in key areas like healthcare, education, and rent. Focus on preventing bubbles like we’ve seen in the housing market and now Ed loan industry.

Force Congress critters to recuse themselves from votes on legislation that effects companies they’re invested in. (For starters)

Increase competition through antitrust enforcement and caps on government contracting.

Enable a strong federal auditing department. (GAO but not just reports, DOJ increased focus on corruption, etc). Various WA state auditing agencies (State auditors office, Dep of Revenue, Dept of L&I) are taken seriously by both private businesses and local governments. Actual enforcement, fines, and prosecution. Jail a few CEO’s and elected officials.

Your turn. Give me details. Or are we perfect with no need to change or adapt?

:)
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Fixing America

Post by AZGrizFan »

How to start fixing the country. I’ll accept nominations as the write-in candidate in 2024:

Immigration/Border:
• Complete the wall; secure the borders
• End birthright citizenship; stop incentivizing people to travel here to have babies
• Simplify/streamline green card/citizenship path (system is completely broken)
• Once borders are secure, grant one-time amnesty offer for those already IN the country illegally
Budget/Taxes:
• Pass balanced budget amendment
• Grant line-item veto authority for office of the President
• Austerity: Implement plan to pay off/down US debt;
o constitutional amendment that puts a cap on US Debt that can be issued
o No more increases to debt ceiling
• Implement flat graduated tax code:
o 5%/10%/15%/20%/25% at various income levels – EVERYONE has a stake in the system
o 15% flat business tax
o Eliminate ALL deductions
o Tax ALL income the same (W2, 1099, DIV, Capital Gains)
o Eliminate child tax credits (it incentivizes people to HAVE more kids they can’t afford)
o Eliminate death tax and taxes on games of chance (lottery, gambling, etc.)
o Eliminate tax on sale of real estate (profit)
o Eliminate a number of other taxes that are currently charged
Government:
• 15% budget reduction across the board in all departments (saves $600 Billion)
• Eliminate Dept of Education ($66 billion); responsibility lies with states and local communities
• Eliminate or severely curtail Internal Revenue Service ($12.3 billion) power and staffing (see tax code revisions, above)
• Eliminate/Streamline Homeland Security Dept ($52 billion)
o Move Coast Guard, Secret Service, FEMA, etc.
• Eliminate CFPB ($550 million)
• Literally dozens of other departments that are duplicates and can be eliminated
• Streamline Banking regulators into one (FFIEC, OCC, NCUA, CFPB, Federal Housing Finance Agency, etc.)
• Streamline FBI/CIA/NSA and other “intelligence” agencies into one agency
• Eliminate most international “aid” payments ($59 Billion)
o Spend money instead on rebuilding national infrastructure and/or social programs
• Formally recognize Taiwan
• Eliminate Executive Order capability for policy/law decisions
• Require proposed bills to be “single purpose”. No pork. No pet projects.
• Permanently set Supreme Court at 9 members (constitutional amendment)
• Eliminate Washington D.C. as a separate entity and return it to Maryland/Virginia
Congress:
• Term limits: 2 6-year terms max for senators, 6 2-year terms max for congressmen. No more than 12 years combined Senate/Congress (can finish out current term).
• Limit political advertising and/or make it free
• Limit election spending – forbid use of personal funds to buy elections
• ID required to vote; no exceptions
• US citizenship required to vote. No exceptions
• Eliminate lifetime pension—in fact, offer NO pension
o If they want to save, require participation in existing thrift plan for gov’t employees
• Ban any stock trading or ownership while in office; freeze portfolios upon entering office, no sale or purchase other than US Treasuries
• Ban working for, lobbying for or being on the board of any government contractor for 10 years after last term ends
Economy:
• Bring back manufacturing jobs; incentivize companies to make products in America
• Roll back Fed power
• Eliminate most federal land ownership (with exception of national parks); sell off all remaining federal land for private ownership
• Eliminate federally insured student loan program
• Pass public works plan to repair infrastructure
Military:
• Reduce overall military budget by 25% ($233 Billion) across the board
• Bring home most troops stationed abroad; defend OUR borders instead
• Close most/all foreign bases
o Stop being world’s policeman
• Roll Coast Guard in as a division of the US Navy
• Exit UN; remove UN from American soil
• Exit NATO unless all agree to pay fair share to provide for the common defense (they are able to offer their wonderful social programs because we largely pay for their defense costs)
Law Enforcement:
• Nationwide consistent sentencing guidelines
• Nationwide ‘Castle Doctrine’ that applies to businesses as well as homes
• Prison reform/eliminate “for profit” prisons
• Reinstitute chain-gangs/hard labor
• Identify ANTIFA, BLM, Proud Boys, etc. as domestic terrorist organizations and prosecute accordingly
Climate Change/Energy/Environment:
• Exit Paris Climate Accord
• DOE focus on alternative/renewable energy sources/storage/development/enhancement
o Stop wind/solar expansion until storage and disposal solutions are identified and implemented
• Return to policy of energy independence – pump and drill
o Develop and implement plan and infrastructure to reduce/eliminate NG flaring
• Build the pipelines
• Restart US Nuclear program to reduce overall dependence on fossil fuels
o Goal of building 2+ Nuke plants per year for 10 years
• Roll back EV mandates until infrastructure can support the anticipated # of vehicles on the system
• Reintroduce responsible forest management and logging (no clear cutting) to reduce/minimize fire danger in fire ravaged areas – side effect: restarts US lumber mills in economically devastated areas of the country
Healthcare:
• Pass tort reform; limit malpractice awards to reduce cost of healthcare
• Prescription prices set/limited based on income level
• Decouple healthcare from employment
Social Issues:
• Legalize marijuana and THC products nationally
• Nationwide concealed carry (or eliminate requirement altogether and go to permitless carry)
• Privatize Social Security (or allow opt-out); convert to 401k-type program where government does NOT have access to the money once invested
• Legalize abortion nationwide up to 16 weeks (longer for specific cases: rape, incest, health of mother, etc.)
o Improve US adoption facilities
• Follow the science: recognize TWO genders
• Eliminate any/all quota-driven hiring programs/requirements
• $15 minimum wage nationwide
• Welfare $$ requires 40 hours work (beautification, cleanup, etc.)
o Welfare limited to 26 weeks
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Discuss….. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Need a deduction for home ownership. Maybe for children also. But yeah, tax reform. :nod:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Nice list. :notworthy:

My addition/quibbles to the above would be:
  • Have a phase down plan over x years for the reduction of the USDA's welfare (SNAP, etc.) program. 10% Reduction over for 5 years, capped to inflation rate after that. End savings is $61 Billion a year (current USDA welfare budget is $122 Billion).
  • Keep the restrictions you have proposed on remaining welfare.
  • Roll back EPA power and institute that states cannot go beyond what is federally limited too.
  • If federal land does not have a buyer, land goes to the state to do what they wish with.
  • Against the abortion portion, at least on a Federal level. If the states want to set their own rules I am fine with that (thats my compromise for right now).
  • Against the incentivize of US businesses to bring them back as it is too easy to corrupt that. Would rather see protection of strategic defense industries (Steel, etc.) to the level they need to be to be competitive against dumping/tariffs.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:50 pm Nice list. :notworthy:

• Have a phase down plan over x years for the reduction of the USDA's welfare (SNAP, etc.) program. 10% Reduction over for 5 years, capped to inflation rate after that. End savings is $61 Billion a year (current USDA welfare budget is $122 Billion).
  • Roll back EPA power and institute that states cannot go beyond what is federally limited too.
  • If federal land does not have a buyer, land goes to the state to do what they wish with.
  • Against the abortion portion, at least on a Federal level. If the states want to set their own rules I am fine with that (thats my compromise for right now).
  • Against the incentivize of US businesses to bring them back as it is too easy to corrupt that. Would rather see protection of strategic defense industries (Steel, etc.) to the level they need to be to be competitive against dumping/tariffs.
Good additions/discussion. The issue I have with selecting “strategic” businesses to protect is that our economy is based on consumption, yet a vast percentage of what we consume comes from other countries. Move that shit here and the money stays here. And as far as I’m concerned, ALL strategic defense $$ should go to American companies and be built in America.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

How does one comprehensively discuss the AZGF “wish list” without turning it into the longest thread in Board history? Must start by dividing it into small pieces. First, one point with which I agree:

Delaware has a constitutional “single purpose” legislative provision requiring that the content of a bill match its title. It has the benefit of avoiding unwieldy and impenetrable pieces of legislation like BBB and the infrastructure bill, with multiple goodies thrown in for unrelated purposes and favored constituencies. The practice promotes legislative transparency and better draftsmanship. It works on a state level, and it should be given a chance to work at the federal level.It might require a constitutional amendment, because there are relatively few restrictions on legislation in the Constitution. (One big one being the requirement that revenue measures originate in the House.)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Good additions/discussion. The issue I have with selecting “strategic” businesses to protect is that our economy is based on consumption, yet a vast percentage of what we consume comes from other countries. Move that shit here and the money stays here. And as far as I’m concerned, ALL strategic defense $$ should go to American companies and be built in America.
I agree. My issue with just incentivizing them to come back is that means they are only competitive in that market with that subsidy then. Are they going to get paid it as long as they keep manufacturing here then? Maybe have a sunset clause or something so that there is an end to it. I am not a fan of open ended payments.

Pretty sure we could work out a way to combine the two and limit potential for abuse, as both ways have their pros/cons.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:12 pm

I agree. My issue with just incentivizing them to come back is that means they are only competitive in that market with that subsidy then. Are they going to get paid it as long as they keep manufacturing here then? Maybe have a sunset clause or something so that there is an end to it. I am not a fan of open ended payments.

Pretty sure we could work out a way to combine the two and limit potential for abuse, as both ways have their pros/cons.
Let’s ask Klammy, he’s a details guy. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:11 pm How does one comprehensively discuss the AZGF “wish list” without turning it into the longest thread in Board history? Must start by dividing it into small pieces. First, one point with which I agree:

Delaware has a constitutional “single purpose” legislative provision requiring that the content of a bill match its title. It has the benefit of avoiding unwieldy and impenetrable pieces of legislation like BBB and the infrastructure bill, with multiple goodies thrown in for unrelated purposes and favored constituencies. The practice promotes legislative transparency and better draftsmanship. It works on a state level, and it should be given a chance to work at the federal level.It might require a constitutional amendment, because there are relatively few restrictions on legislation in the Constitution. (One big one being the requirement that revenue measures originate in the House.)
I just look back at all the BS that was included in a supposed “stimulus” bill and want to puke. It’s embarrassing as an American that our “elected” leaders see zero problem with operating that way. Mostly because we keep sending them back…over and over and over and over….while they get rich on our backs.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:15 pm

That he is!

The first thing that I thought of, when I read his post, was that was the most honest I have seen him post (at least on politics) I think since I joined this merry gang of misfits. :lol:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:16 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:11 pm How does one comprehensively discuss the AZGF “wish list” without turning it into the longest thread in Board history? Must start by dividing it into small pieces. First, one point with which I agree:

I just look back at all the BS that was included in a supposed “stimulus” bill and want to puke. It’s embarrassing as an American that our “elected” leaders see zero problem with operating that way. Mostly because we keep sending them back…over and over and over and over….while they get rich on our backs.
Same here. I think outside of 4-500 billion (and some of the EV stuff is pure waste of money considering the state of the industry) the rest was pork. And they are not even trying to hide it anymore. :puke:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

I was going to type tl;dr. :lol:

I like your idea.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Agree with 90 to 95%.
o 5%/10%/15%/20%/25% at various income levels – EVERYONE has a stake in the system
5 brackets is too much. Make it 2, at most three.

Could have up to a certain level (poverty level, or around 1.5x poverty level for that size family as a standard deduction. No other deductions.
Eliminate most federal land ownership (with exception of national parks); sell off all remaining federal land for private ownership
Fed controls too much land, but don’t know if I’d go that far. No military bases?
Nationwide consistent sentencing guidelines
Thats really a states’ rights deal.
Legalize marijuana and THC products nationally
Agree federally, but if a state wants to make it illegal, that’s a states’ rights deal.
Legalize abortion nationwide up to 16 weeks (longer for specific cases: rape, incest, health of mother, etc.)
Overturn Roe v Wade and let every state set their own abortion laws. States’ rights deal.
Is a states’ rights deal.(Also more an economy than social issue). I’d get rid of the fed minimum wage all together. Every state should be able to set their own minimum wage. There is so much economic difference between the states, and even within states. Where $8-$10 an hr in one place could be like $30 in another. You have extremes that are so far apart- grown adult working in expensive city (NY, San Fran, Seattle, etc vs 15/16 year old in rural area in poor state, living at home with mom and dad, working their 1st no/low skill job. $15 an hr would kill teen employment in much of the country.

I know I keep mentioning states’ rights. The 10th is pretty clear: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Now nationwide conceal carry like you mentioned would be ok, because its not a states’ rights deal due to 2A.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

US corporations used to have more specific purposes for existence and sunset clauses enforced by Sec’s of State if I’m not mistaken.

Agree 100% on strategic industries.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

-Good idea.

-Agreed.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

The line-item veto sounds good in theory, but one version of a law giving the President that authority was ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS because it violated the Presentment Clause of Article I, Section 7. Actually, the current Constitution contemplates the equivalent of such a veto by requiring POTUS to submit “objections” (as in a meaningful veto message) to Congress if he refuses to sign a bill. If POTUS vetoes a measure and itemizes his objections to specific spending items, Congress has a choice of submitting a modified bill or attempting to override the veto of the whole thing by a two-thirds vote. The overall objective is cutting spending. The other option, rather than risking another adverse SCOTUS opinion with flawed line item veto legislation, is to amend Article I, Section 7 to provide for one. In my view, all you need to do is force the legislative and executive branches to do the work that the Constitution already contemplates.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm
I have heard the call for less brackets over the years but I don't understand what the problem is. It's just a table you look at to determine the tax percentage. It doesn't require any more work to have 10 brackets vs. 2.
I'm probably missing something here since I don't do my own taxes.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:42 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm
I have heard the call for less brackets over the years but I don't understand what the problem is. It's just a table you look at to determine the tax percentage. It doesn't require any more work to have 10 brackets vs. 2.
I'm probably missing something here since I don't do my own taxes.
The brackets to me are not a big deal. What I like about AZ suggestion is that everybody pays in and there are no deductions. The deduction game is where congress has gerrymandered the tax code into the likeness of a bowl of spaghetti noodles.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:18 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:15 pm

That he is!

The first thing that I thought of, when I read his post, was that was the most honest I have seen him post (at least on politics) I think since I joined this merry gang of misfits. :lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Get rid of ALL closed primaries.
Require rotation of primary dates (i.e. Iowa and New Hampshire don't always go first)
12 year term MAX for senators and house members

$2500 vouchers for lower-income individuals to get out of crowded, expensive cities
break up any bank that's too big to fail
bar Social Media companies from censoring information
cancel $250 billion of China debt over Covid
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:35 pm Agree with 90 to 95%.

Could have up to a certain level (poverty level, or around 1.5x poverty level for that size family as a standard deduction. No other deductions.
Eliminate most federal land ownership (with exception of national parks); sell off all remaining federal land for private ownership
Fed controls too much land, but don’t know if I’d go that far. No military bases?
Nationwide consistent sentencing guidelines
Thats really a states’ rights deal.
Legalize marijuana and THC products nationally
Agree federally, but if a state wants to make it illegal, that’s a states’ rights deal.
Legalize abortion nationwide up to 16 weeks (longer for specific cases: rape, incest, health of mother, etc.)
Overturn Roe v Wade and let every state set their own abortion laws. States’ rights deal.
Is a states’ rights deal.(Also more an economy than social issue). I’d get rid of the fed minimum wage all together. Every staye should be able to set their own minimum wage. There is so much economic difference between the states, and even within states. Where $8-$10 an hr in one place could be like $30 in another. You have extremes that are so far apart- grown adult working in expensive city (NY, San Fran, Seattle, etc vs 15/16 year old in rural area in poor state, living at home with mom and dad, working their 1st no/low skill job. $15 an hr would kill teen employment in much of the country.

I knownI keep mentioning states’ rights. The 10th is pretty clear: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Now nationwide conceal carry like you mentioned would be ok, because its not a states’ rights deal due to 2A.
Yes, I realize many of these are considered “States Rights”, but the mish-mash of laws that people have to try and navigate when traveling across this country have become unwieldy and unmanageable. A woman can get an abortion in one state, and be thrown in prison in another state. I can buy a joint in Nevada, and get sent to prison for bringing it back to Texas. Some things need to be federally mandated (like drinking age is).

And no, I’m not including military bases (except those owned in other countries…or do we lease them???)…but there are also many former military bases that are abandoned but not sold, so THOSE could be liquidated.
Last edited by AZGrizFan on Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:40 pm The line-item veto sounds good in theory, but one version of a law giving the President that authority was ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS because it violated the Presentment Clause of Article I, Section 7. Actually, the current Constitution contemplates the equivalent of such a veto by requiring POTUS to submit “objections” (as in a meaningful veto message) to Congress if he refuses to sign a bill. If POTUS vetoes a measure and itemizes his objections to specific spending items, Congress has a choice of submitting a modified bill or attempting to override the veto of the whole thing by a two-thirds vote. The overall objective is cutting spending. The other option, rather than risking another adverse SCOTUS opinion with flawed line item veto legislation, is to amend Article I, Section 7 to provide for one. In my view, all you need to do is force the legislative and executive branches to do the work that the Constitution already contemplates.
I would go with the article amendment option, if I had the power. THAT would eliminate the confusion and not require the constant back and forth. Congress approves a budget, and the President gets to line out the BS after the fact.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Pwns wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 pm Get rid of ALL closed primaries.
Require rotation of primary dates (i.e. Iowa and New Hampshire don't always go first)

$2500 vouchers for lower-income individuals to get out of crowded, expensive cities
Great ideas, Pwns. Great. :nod: :nod:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:41 pm Get rid of ALL closed primaries.

I strongly disagree with abolishing closed primaries on freedom of association grounds. Why should an unaffiliated voter have a right to select a major party candidate if he has no skin in the game? Many states let you change your registration before a primary and later change back. Leave it to the states, but don’t force open primaries on all of them. Of course, crossover primaries (where Donks can vote in GOP primaries and vice versa) are the absolute worst.