89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Kim Potter Trial

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:09 am
Well he was going 85 and probably tailgating. I’ve warned you about aggressive driving before. :coffee:

(Yeah that punishment seems ridiculously excessive, but that’s another debate. Still doesn’t change what I said)
I posted it actually in support of what you said.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:15 am I’m fine with it if she serves some time, and also fine with it if she doesn’t.

I imagine that she has a bunch of coworkers with stories of her fumbling around at the range who probably weren’t terribly bowled over by news of the incident.

I knew a few just like her… in training they were the ones who you mentally identified as those who you wouldn’t want to go on a hot call with. Usually, they are happy to take a job indoors in the air conditioning and the problem is solved. Other times, they are insistent on being on the street and heaven help you if you try to keep a protected class off the street.

Take your pick …. civil/vicarious liability, or losing EEO lawsuits. At least in this instance, the fault lies with her, so looks like her department made the right choice risking something like this by allowing her on the street.

Cynical choices - gotta love em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I related the story here years back. The year: 1996. The place: The Basic School, Quantico VA (where newly minted Marine Lt's learn all things in six months after OCS or Naval Academy). After a day of live fire training, a female Lt (I still recall her name but will not mention it) apparently gets through the end of range brass shakedown with a live round somehow. Next morning, all Lt's settle in the dry-fire amphitheater to "snap-in" on targets. We're all in the prone firing position, on elevated tiers, in an arc. Suddenly... BANG - DING!!!!! This bitch plugs off a live round and nails the target barrel dead center. She was one row up and one spot right of me. She nearly grazed the cover of the Lt to my right.

Good thing she didn't kill a negro. It might have made the news.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:51 am
kalm wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:09 am
Well he was going 85 and probably tailgating. I’ve warned you about aggressive driving before. :coffee:

(Yeah that punishment seems ridiculously excessive, but that’s another debate. Still doesn’t change what I said)
Kalm isn't used to you agreeing with much less supporting him.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:31 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 am
Yup, I agree. That's a case where some punishment (jail) is certainly merited. 110 years is just absurd.
He had to be pushing 80K GVW and then going down a mountain? I have been in a spot where I came up too fast to a stop sign with a tandem axle truck loaded with grain and wound up blowing through it. Luckily I was at a gravel/dirt road in the middle of nowhere ND and nobody was coming (and I was all of 16). Learned that brakes are not to be taken for granted.

I remember taking a vacation growing up to Colorado and Wyoming. Dad (drove over the road for a bit) explaining to us kids why we were in the slow lane and getting passed all the time. He stated that in a conversion van, pulling a trailer with camping gear/bikes took a bit more to stop and he didn't want to replace the brakes after the trip when we just installed new ones. He put it in 3rd gear and let the engine help slow us down and then used the brakes to keep the engine rpms lower. Brakes were happy, dad was happy and us kids were happy not to have to change brakes when we came back home (or at the nearest auto parts store as Dad would of made us do it too).

Dad also told us the story of Falling Rock and why there were signs everywhere for him.... :lol:
:nod: Context is important. The difference between the trucker and Potter is that the trucker put himself in a precarious position by going 85 while going down a mountain. He compounded that error by not using the runaway truck ramps. The people that died were innocent bystanders. Daunte Wright didn't deserve to die but he, not Potter, put himself in a precarious position by resisting arrest/attempting to flee. Potter screwed up and she should be held accountable but her situation is different.

Racial justice and racial equality should mean that individuals and circumstances are judged on merit. We shouldn't be trying to turn the tables to make up for past wrongs.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:08 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:51 am
Kalm isn't used to you agreeing with much less supporting him.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

If I were on the jury I suspect it would be very difficult for me to vote to convict her. As you know if you've watched me over the years I am not a police worshipper. I think police are a necessary evil and I think the profession tends to select for a certain type of person that isn't necessarily the most savory. But I think the video pretty clearly indicates that it was just a tragic accident.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:34 pm If I were on the jury I suspect it would be very difficult for me to vote to convict her. As you know if you've watched me over the years I am not a police worshipper. I think police are a necessary evil and I think the profession tends to select for a certain type of person that isn't necessarily the most savory. But I think the video pretty clearly indicates that it was just a tragic accident.
I agree.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:54 pm Anyone that pulls a gun and fires it thinking it was taser has no business in law enforcement, and at minimum should get negligent homicide.

It seems clear she didn't mean to fire a gun, but that is not a defense
Agreed.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:08 pm
dbackjon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:54 pm Anyone that pulls a gun and fires it thinking it was taser has no business in law enforcement, and at minimum should get negligent homicide.

It seems clear she didn't mean to fire a gun, but that is not a defense
Agreed.
You two being on the same page is why Jon is freezing his recently shaved sac off in Arizona right now. :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:07 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:08 pm

Agreed.
You two being on the same page is why Jon is freezing his recently shaved sac off in Arizona right now. :coffee:
So you ARE a subscriber to my OnlyFans account.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:34 am

:oops: :oops:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

:rofl: :notworthy:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:07 am

Doing 85mph down a mountain in a 45mph zone, with a full load of lumber, makes him not only an idiot but also criminally stupid. His brakes could of been in perfect condition and slamming on them at that speed, with that load, isn't going to do much but make a cloud of smoke and burn them out almost immediately. There isn't a brake system on the road that candle that (which is why they make run-off lanes) much heat. My CDL testing covered that situation and the guy I learned from also explained it to me (as should of (did) his company).

I would agree with the judge that he is not 110 years guilty, but he is definitely at fault.
Yup, I agree. That's a case where some punishment (jail) is certainly merited. 110 years is just absurd.
I disagree on jail You think he should only serve 1 year. :suspicious: It should be prison. I agree 110 years is too much, even if eligible for parole much earlier.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:35 am

Raul’s New Year’s resolution: I will not say stupid shit on CS.com. :rule:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:07 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:35 am

When did you turn into a grumpy old man? You used to be more relaxed.

Besides, in a text earlier that day, Jon complained about the cold weather. Hence the joke.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:46 am
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:07 pm

When did you turn into a grumpy old man? You used to be more relaxed.

Besides, in a text earlier that day, Jon complained about the cold weather. Hence the joke.
Not grumpy, just less of a filter.

Besides, Ancestry.com told me that 89Hen and I are third cousins, once removed! :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:53 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:46 am When did you turn into a grumpy old man? You used to be more relaxed.

Besides, Ancestry.com told me that 89Hen and I are third cousins, once removed! :nod:
:lol: :lol: Well that explains it. :clap:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:46 am When did you turn into a grumpy old man? You used to be more relaxed.

Obviously he got the short end of the genetic deal. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:37 am

Keep your mouth shut farmboy. :twisted:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:23 am

Careful. I will find some way to chase a herd of deer unto your lawn. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

The big bull was back yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Nice! That one is almost wall worthy.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:27 am Nice! That one is almost wall worthy.
Not in Montana. That's one to watch for 4-5 years down the road. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:48 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:27 am Nice! That one is almost wall worthy.
Not in Montana. That's one to watch for 4-5 years down the road. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:
It has been a decade or more since I have gone out hunting and the only thing I know is that around here it would need a year or so, but definitely not to the size compared to ones in the corn fed states (Iowa, etc.) or the mountains.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:23 am

Redirecting all Waze Traffic in the Mid-Atlantic to your street.
:thumb: