Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Kim Potter Trial

Post by 89Hen »

Didn't see a thread on this one. This has to be a really hard trial by jury case IMO. In a way it would seem like the prosecution and defense's jobs are to teach law to 12 regular people. It's going to be hard for either side to prove/disprove "recklessly" and "culpable negligence" unless Potter has a history of it, which she doesn't seem to have. Both sides have already stated she meant to draw her taser so that's all it boils down to.

I don't see them being able to convict on first degree, but wouldn't be surprised to see a second degree conviction.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Kim Potter Trial

Post by SuperHornet »

I forget. Was this the one where the drunk cop went into the wrong apartment and shot an "intruder?"

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

No this is the cop who pulled her gun when she thought she pulled her taser. Shot the guy in his car, he pulled away, crashed and died (from the gunshot not the crash).
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Anyone that pulls a gun and fires it thinking it was taser has no business in law enforcement, and at minimum should get negligent homicide.

It seems clear she didn't mean to fire a gun, but that is not a defense
:thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:54 pm Anyone that pulls a gun and fires it thinking it was taser has no business in law enforcement, and at minimum should get negligent homicide.

I agree with the bolded.

I can see second degree fitting. But that is admitting that I no only the minimum about the case and looking at MN Statutes. A big part (and I do not know much about this particular case here) is to what level Wright was resisting arrest (justifiable level of response).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:46 pm
dbackjon wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:54 pm Anyone that pulls a gun and fires it thinking it was taser has no business in law enforcement, and at minimum should get negligent homicide.

I agree with the bolded.

I can see second degree fitting. But that is admitting that I no only the minimum about the case and looking at MN Statutes. A big part (and I do not know much about this particular case here) is to what level Wright was resisting arrest (justifiable level of response).
Another aspect of this that I think people are too quick to judge is that no one knows how they or someone else will react in an extreme pressure situation. You can interview and test for it but you can never be sure until they're actually in a situation. How can law enforcement hire people who won't "pull a gun and fire it thinking it's a taser" if they can't be certain?

We're human, we make mistakes and sometimes we react in error under pressure.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I agree, she should never be an officer again and she should get some penalty for what she did. I think the chance for overreach, though, on the charges, will ultimately piss people off. I don't see the first degree manslaughter sticking. Heck, the way the law is written the second degree was already going to take some work to prove. What she did was wrong and negligent, but I don't see where she knowingly put the deceased in undue danger. She's not going to do a lot of prison time, and that will certainly leave many feeling unhappy.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:58 pm

I agree, she should never be an officer again and she should get some penalty for what she did. I think the chance for overreach, though, on the charges, will ultimately piss people off. I don't see the first degree manslaughter sticking. Heck, the way the law is written the second degree was already going to take some work to prove. What she did was wrong and negligent, but I don't see where she knowingly put the deceased in undue danger. She's not going to do a lot of prison time, and that will certainly leave many feeling unhappy.
That's pretty much my take. It's a terrible situation from every single aspect of this. If it were a white kid she shot, this wouldn't probably be news, just a bad story of a awful situation.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:56 pm
Winterborn wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:46 pm

I agree with the bolded.

Another aspect of this that I think people are too quick to judge is that no one knows how they or someone else will react in an extreme pressure situation. You can interview and test for it but you can never be sure until they're actually in a situation. How can law enforcement hire people who won't "pull a gun and fire it thinking it's a taser" if they can't be certain?

We're human, we make mistakes and sometimes we react in error under pressure.
Very true.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

What happened to her happened in an extremely stressful situation under duress. She’s pretty much already ruined her life. Putting her in prison isn’t going to “solve” anything.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:58 pm What happened to her happened in an extremely stressful situation under duress. She’s pretty much already ruined her life. Putting her in prison isn’t going to “solve” anything.
For many people it is not about solving anything any more (and doing what is right) but about paying back 10 fold. Which is highly unfortunate in that it just perpetuates the hard feelings on both sides.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:58 pm What happened to her happened in an extremely stressful situation under duress. She’s pretty much already ruined her life. Putting her in prison isn’t going to “solve” anything.
Why send anyone to jail then? If the publicity of a crime/having it show up when their name is searched is all it takes for justice then there isn't a reason for anyone to be in jail.

Cops are trained to handle stressful situations. This isn't Joe Fuckbag in an argument doing this. It is an officer who has gone through years of training. Years of certification. Her job is literally to handle stressful situations.

She didn't mean to kill him, but she did. She somehow managed to not realize the difference in a stun gun and a real gun - something they train on - and killed someone because of it.

It wasn't premeditated or done out of spite (and likely racism like Chauvin). However, if "she feels bad and we think her life is ruined" is all it takes to avoid jail then holy shit we have a lot of people to let out of jail in the coming weeks.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:25 pm
Why send anyone to jail then? If the publicity of a crime/having it show up when their name is searched is all it takes for justice then there isn't a reason for anyone to be in jail.

Cops are trained to handle stressful situations. This isn't Joe Fuckbag in an argument doing this. It is an officer who has gone through years of training. Years of certification. Her job is literally to handle stressful situations.

She didn't mean to kill him, but she did. She somehow managed to not realize the difference in a stun gun and a real gun - something they train on - and killed someone because of it.

It wasn't premeditated or done out of spite (and likely racism like Chauvin). However, if "she feels bad and we think her life is ruined" is all it takes to avoid jail then holy shit we have a lot of people to let out of jail in the coming weeks.
yeah, I’m aware of the situation. She’s not a “criminal”—she made a horrible mistake. She’s not the douchebag with his knee on the guys neck for 8 minutes. She didn’t plow her SUV through a parade. She didn’t chase him down and shoot him with a shotgun and film the whole thing. If we don’t/can’t differentiate between what she did and what ACTUAL criminals do, then we’re pretty much fucked as a society.

Which we may be anyways, given the direction shit is headed.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I think we could do a better job in general of using the "how much of a danger is this person to people" standard when giving sentences. Yes, that includes Jussie Smollett.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:01 pm

yeah, I’m aware of the situation. She’s not a “criminal”—she made a horrible mistake. She’s not the douchebag with his knee on the guys neck for 8 minutes. She didn’t plow her SUV through a parade. She didn’t chase him down and shoot him with a shotgun and film the whole thing. If we don’t/can’t differentiate between what she did and what ACTUAL criminals do, then we’re pretty much fucked as a society.

A neighbor kid growing up, rolled his motorcycle on windy gravel roads and killed his buddy riding on back behind him.

He got manslaughter and did 6 months in jail.

Wasn’t a criminal before or after. Accidents happen. Sometimes punishment is an unfortunate consequence for a huge mistake.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

What does Nancy Grace think?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:58 pm

This is what I think as well. She made a terrible mistake under pressure. Sadly, we're in a world where ANYTHING bad that happens to a minority is b/c of racism. She made a terrible mistake and race probably never entered her mind.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I’m fine with it if she serves some time, and also fine with it if she doesn’t.

I imagine that she has a bunch of coworkers with stories of her fumbling around at the range who probably weren’t terribly bowled over by news of the incident.

I knew a few just like her… in training they were the ones who you mentally identified as those who you wouldn’t want to go on a hot call with. Usually, they are happy to take a job indoors in the air conditioning and the problem is solved. Other times, they are insistent on being on the street and heaven help you if you try to keep a protected class off the street.

Take your pick …. civil/vicarious liability, or losing EEO lawsuits. At least in this instance, the fault lies with her, so looks like her department made the right choice risking something like this by allowing her on the street.

Cynical choices - gotta love em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:01 pm

A neighbor kid growing up, rolled his motorcycle on windy gravel roads and killed his buddy riding on back behind him.

Wasn’t a criminal before or after. Accidents happen. Sometimes punishment is an unfortunate consequence for a huge mistake.
The Colorado truck driver involved in a pileup that killed four and injured six on an interstate in 2019 got emotional when he addressed the court before receiving a sentence of 110 years in prison...

"I am not a criminal," he said. "I am not a murderer. I am not a killer. When I look at my charges, we are talking about a murderer, which is not me. I have never thought about hurting anybody in my entire life."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-tru ... sentencing
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:49 am
The Colorado truck driver involved in a pileup that killed four and injured six on an interstate in 2019 got emotional when he addressed the court before receiving a sentence of 110 years in prison...

"I am not a criminal," he said. "I am not a murderer. I am not a killer. When I look at my charges, we are talking about a murderer, which is not me. I have never thought about hurting anybody in my entire life."

Doing 85mph down a mountain in a 45mph zone, with a full load of lumber, makes him not only an idiot but also criminally stupid. His brakes could of been in perfect condition and slamming on them at that speed, with that load, isn't going to do much but make a cloud of smoke and burn them out almost immediately. There isn't a brake system on the road that candle that (which is why they make run-off lanes) much heat. My CDL testing covered that situation and the guy I learned from also explained it to me (as should of (did) his company).

I would agree with the judge that he is not 110 years guilty, but he is definitely at fault.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:49 am
kalm wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:21 pm

Well he was going 85 and probably tailgating. I’ve warned you about aggressive driving before. :coffee:

(Yeah that punishment seems ridiculously excessive, but that’s another debate. Still doesn’t change what I said)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:07 am
Doing 85mph down a mountain in a 45mph zone, with a full load of lumber, makes him not only an idiot but also criminally stupid. His brakes could of been in perfect condition and slamming on them at that speed, with that load, isn't going to do much but make a cloud of smoke and burn them out almost immediately. There isn't a brake system on the road that candle that (which is why they make run-off lanes) much heat. My CDL testing covered that situation and the guy I learned from also explained it to me (as should of (did) his company).

I would agree with the judge that he is not 110 years guilty, but he is definitely at fault.
Yup, I agree. That's a case where some punishment (jail) is certainly merited. 110 years is just absurd.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:07 am

Yup, I agree. That's a case where some punishment (jail) is certainly merited. 110 years is just absurd.
He had to be pushing 80K GVW and then going down a mountain? I have been in a spot where I came up too fast to a stop sign with a tandem axle truck loaded with grain and wound up blowing through it. Luckily I was at a gravel/dirt road in the middle of nowhere ND and nobody was coming (and I was all of 16). Learned that brakes are not to be taken for granted.

I remember taking a vacation growing up to Colorado and Wyoming. Dad (drove over the road for a bit) explaining to us kids why we were in the slow lane and getting passed all the time. He stated that in a conversion van, pulling a trailer with camping gear/bikes took a bit more to stop and he didn't want to replace the brakes after the trip when we just installed new ones. He put it in 3rd gear and let the engine help slow us down and then used the brakes to keep the engine rpms lower. Brakes were happy, dad was happy and us kids were happy not to have to change brakes when we came back home (or at the nearest auto parts store as Dad would of made us do it too).

Dad also told us the story of Falling Rock and why there were signs everywhere for him.... :lol:

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:31 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 am

He had to be pushing 80K GVW and then going down a mountain? I have been in a spot where I came up too fast to a stop sign with a tandem axle truck loaded with grain and wound up blowing through it. Luckily I was at a gravel/dirt road in the middle of nowhere ND and nobody was coming (and I was all of 16). Learned that brakes are not to be taken for granted.

I remember taking a vacation growing up to Colorado and Wyoming. Dad (drove over the road for a bit) explaining to us kids why we were in the slow lane and getting passed all the time. He stated that in a conversion van, pulling a trailer with camping gear/bikes took a bit more to stop and he didn't want to replace the brakes after the trip when we just installed new ones. He put it in 3rd gear and let the engine help slow us down and then used the brakes to keep the engine rpms lower. Brakes were happy, dad was happy and us kids were happy not to have to change brakes when we came back home (or at the nearest auto parts store as Dad would of made us do it too).

Dad also told us the story of Falling Rock and why there were signs everywhere for him.... :lol:
One of my all time favorites! The family rolls their eyes every time I see the signs reminding me to tell it.

:notworthy:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Even dback can get one right from time to time. :mrgreen: