kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

School Celebrations

Post by kalm »

Taken from a school admin on FB.

This is still a tough one. We used to do an Easter Egg hunt at the golf course but the school denied our first flier, which was to be sent home with kids, because it said “Easter” on it. This pagan was pissed.

Perhaps it’s better to be accepting of all cultural celebrations in schools (hello Satanic Temple!) and to learn that not everyone has a mother and still deserves to be a part?

What say you?
Unpopular opinion: it is time to take holidays out of school. Not everyone celebrates Christmas. Not every kid has a mom to give a mother's day gift to, to indigenous students Thanksgiving means something very different, our Russian population do not celebrate Halloween.

In school celebrations should revolve around accomplishments of the students in the room not the culture of the majority!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: School Celebrations

Post by 89Hen »

Have every holiday that exists. My Russian neighbor's came trick or treating.

FWIW, I don't remember Mother's Day being a thing in school at all.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am Have every holiday that exists. My Russian neighbor's came trick or treating.

Exactly - I don't recall Mother's day being a thing. We celebrated Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter (also the birthday of our schools name sake, Bishop John England).

I've gone trick or treating with Turkish refugees every year for the past 4 years. Spoiler Alert - turns out he's a political exile. Fled after Erdoğan took control. :shock: Guy has awesome stories and a smoke show of a wife.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:33 am Have every holiday that exists. My Russian neighbor's came trick or treating.

Your kids weren't forced to make Mother's Day cards in class? :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Exactly - I don't recall Mother's day being a thing. We celebrated Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter (also the birthday of our schools name sake, Bishop John England).

I've gone trick or treating with Turkish refugees every year for the past 4 years. Spoiler Alert - turns out he's a political exile. Fled after Erdoğan took control. :shock: Guy has awesome stories and a smoke show of a wife.
:pics:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Your kids weren't forced to make Mother's Day cards in class? :coffee: :coffee:
I really don't think so. Maybe Kindergarten.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

There is a joke about Turkey leftovers in there somewhere.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 pm

The distinguished gentleman from San Antonio is correct.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm