Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:20 am
Now vigilantism is “shouldn’t have been there”?
Isn't vigilantism also defined as taking on law enforcement duties without legal authority? Is protecting businesses a law enforcement duty?

I don't think Kyle Rittenhouse should have been where he was but being there wasn't a crime, it was just stupid and foolish. I also don't think the rioters and looters, including the people he shot, should have been where they were.

The 20+ miles from home, crossing state lines argument is baloney. Kyle worked in Kenosha and had family in Kenosha. 2 of the 3 people he shot came from the Milwaukee area which is about twice as far from Kenosha as Antioch. The US/Mexico border is an arbitrary line but the Wisconsin/Illinois border matters?
That's exactly what vigilantism is - unauthorized law enforcement. But if you're a 17 year old that votes Red then it's ok...as long as you aren't a dirty lib.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:01 pm

Isn't vigilantism also defined as taking on law enforcement duties without legal authority? Is protecting businesses a law enforcement duty?

I don't think Kyle Rittenhouse should have been where he was but being there wasn't a crime, it was just stupid and foolish. I also don't think the rioters and looters, including the people he shot, should have been where they were.

The 20+ miles from home, crossing state lines argument is baloney. Kyle worked in Kenosha and had family in Kenosha. 2 of the 3 people he shot came from the Milwaukee area which is about twice as far from Kenosha as Antioch. The US/Mexico border is an arbitrary line but the Wisconsin/Illinois border matters?
That's exactly what vigilantism is - unauthorized law enforcement. But if you're a 17 year old that votes Red then it's ok...as long as you aren't a dirty lib.
Wait, now you're accusing the kid of voting when he wasn't of age yet? Is there anything else we can heap on this kid? Where was he in Dallas in '63?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:33 pm
Wait, now you're accusing the kid of voting when he wasn't of age yet? Is there anything else we can heap on this kid? Where was he in Dallas in '63?
Rumor has it that he was in Sarajevo in 1914.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

UNI88 wrote:

Rittenhouse shot Lincoln

Lincoln was quoted as yelling "Shoot me, N*gga!" in the theater before it happened.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

UNI88 wrote:
LeadBolt wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:41 am Kyle Rittenhouse lived approximately 20 miles or so from the incident. His father lives in Kenosha.

Government in this country is based upon “We the People”. When government fails to protect “We the people “ it has failed and “We the people need to act”.

One group of “We the people “ felt that the government failed them and started rioting, looting, burning and assaulting other people.

The government stood down.

Kyle Rittenhouse went out to defend the life, liberty and property (Jefferson’s original wording) of those being assaulted by the first group.

The people that verbally threatened to kill him, swung chains at him, ran him down when he tried to disengage and pointed a loaded gun at him were the aggressors. Rittenhouse obviously had reasons to act in self defense.

When Rittenhouse and those that he shot were all white, I can’t understand why this is supposed to be about race.

The press is pushing a false, sensationalized story to fit their agenda. Only those gullible, too lazy to ascertain the facts or too ignorant of the actual facts are falling for it.
I believe life, liberty & property was John Locke not Jefferson. Jefferson revised Locke's phrase.
Jefferson quoted Locke in his original draft of the Declaration. It was changed in Committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:47 am I believe life, liberty & property was John Locke not Jefferson. Jefferson revised Locke's phrase.
Wrong. It wasn't John Locke. It was Tone Loc.

:kisswink:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:20 am Now vigilantism is “shouldn’t have been there”?

I didn't say that at all. Those are two separate statements, knob. :ohno:
Your previous post was all about hoe Rittenhouse was a vigilante. I pointed out that what he did was not vigilantism. Then you went all klammy subject changey talking about how he shouldn’t have been there (irrelevant, but several people here, myself included, have said that)

My original point was that Rittenhouse can be described in many ways but vigilante is not one of them

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Hung around St Pete's when he saw it was time for a change.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Col Hogan wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:43 am So let's say a person is standing in front of a business or home while trying to protect it with a gun.
And a person or group of persons begin to cause damage to the structure.
Is there a legal right to use the gun to stop the damage? Does the person with the gun have to be on the inside to use a self defense excuse?
Depends on a couple of things…including what state you are in. If those trying to damage the building are also attacking you, maybe by throwing rocks, or physically coming onto the property to throw, say a Molotov cocktail, and you know there are people inside, then I’d say yes, you may use the weapon. But again, depends on the locale
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:43 am What if the person with the gun is on the outside and a looter is exiting the business or home with stolen property? Is there any legal recourse to shoot the looter?
In this case, most laws would not allow you to use your weapon unless they directly attacked you in the course of departing the building. Now, here in Texas, you could be justified using your weapon under certain circumstances…. Check your local laws.
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:43 am I'm trying to understand where the law allows the use of a gun in the absence of defense of bodily harm.
Hope this helps. There is no national standard, and there should not be a national standard…just like there’s no national standard on drivers licenses, barber licenses, etc…And, may I add, self-defense is not an excuse…
Thanks, Colonel.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I was using hyperbole to exaggerate a point. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

1992 - The Rodney King riots…and the police basically abandoned large portions of Los Angles leaving protection up to citizens…
Korean radio stations in LA began to put out a call for volunteers to come and help Korean business owners, which soon led to a slur of volunteers carrying everything from homemade weapons to modern assault rifles and all manor of weapons in-between.

At the start of the riots, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) offered next to no help to the Korean business owners, or indeed anyone caught in the fray and largely retreated from the situation as things slowly went from bad to worse. With no police force to protect people the city was at the brink, with both racial and economic issues taking the forefront.

And as the situation intensified it would be almost a week before the besieged business owners would see any form of law enforcement, so they set about defending themselves. Thus, the roof Koreans and the meme it created were born.

One of the most iconic examples of the roof Koreans was at a California market in the LA”s famous Korea Town. The owner fortified his store and with 20 well armed employees and volunteers all of whom were wearing stereotypical white ninja-like headbands. This image would not only become one of the most iconic about what the Roof Koreans represented, but also the fact that the racially based element to the riots were not longer a black and white affair, both figuratively and literally.
Damn vigilantes

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:52 am I can admit that vigilante maybe isn't the best word...but the fact remains that he bought a gun illegally and then interjected himself into a powder keg. It wasn't a wise decision.
No he didn’t. :dunce: Way to parrot the Fake News left wing talking point…
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:46 am

Rittenhouse didn’t drive into Kenosha with guns. Kalm with another :dunce:
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:46 am Image
Gaige Grosskreutz did tho. Another epic fail by Trevor Noah.

@phillywild305 FB
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:22 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:46 am

Oh…ya got me I guess. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:22 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 pm

That's what people don't get. Ibanez is trying a work around of the "he shouldn't have been there" narrative that is weak as hell considering the gubmint abdicated its duty to keep the peace and protect public safety (not just in Kenosha, but pretty much everywhere during those 2020 riots). Once the gubmint failed its duty to protect public safety, its up to the people to fend for themselves and let the dead felons...er I mean chips fall where they may.

This idea that once societal order breaks down and people should just standby and let the criminals run roughshod over everything is absurd. Fuck that mentality. Only a punk ass bitch would think not protecting their community/family is the way to go.

Was Kyle protecting his family or community? He wasn't. He didn't live in Kenosha.

And the reality that he should've kept his ass at home is only weak to you b/c it fits your ideologies. I'm not saying the government should have stood down, but you're up there saying that when they do it's up to the unqualified, un trained, un authorized citizens maintain law and order during extremely chaotic and dangerous events. That does nothing but exacerbate the problem.
His dad does.

And "untrained" is questionable given at how well he disposed of his felonious attackers and hit no one else while in the process. :coffee:

Rittenhouse is a fucking hero. :nod:

I'm absolutely loving how much this verdict angers the Left. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

DSUrocks07 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:30 am
kalm wrote:
So Gooseneck Byeceps reasoning for driving across the state to Kenosha with a gun he wasn't allowed to possess would be... ImageImageImageImageImage

Biceps guy had a prior felony and had no right to be in possession of a gun to begin with...so...

...play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:28 am
His dad does.

And "untrained" is questionable given at how well he disposed of his felonious attackers and hit no one else while in the process. :coffee:

Yup. "Across state lines" equals 15 minutes.

And, he was a surgeon and the AR was his scalpel. He only shot people trying to kill him, which is a fundamental right of any American citizen. WIth a mob of antifa and antifa sympathizers surrounding him, he harmed no other human excrement on the scene.

A hero indeed! And yes, liberal tears are always, ALWAYS, delicious.
Last edited by 93henfan on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Also loving the mental gymnastics by the Left on this narrative. :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

DSUrocks07 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:03 pm
UNI88 wrote:
Rittenhouse shot Lincoln

Lincoln was quoted as yelling "Shoot me, N*gga!" in the theater before it happened.

Please post more. :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

DSUrocks07 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:29 pm Another epic fail by Trevor Noah.
He's a swell guy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Interesting interview with a white supremacy historian. It has become quite mainstream on the right.

The trial outcome is one thing…but the hero worship of Rittenhouse is unsettling.
There have been many acquittals and partial verdicts that the white power movement and militant groups have taken as signs that they can continue their activities unabated. I’m thinking of the acquittals in the Greensboro trials at state, federal and civil levels, [when members of the Ku Klux Klan and the American Nazi party shot and killed five marchers in an anti-Klan rally organized by the Communist Workers party in 1979], the acquittals in the seditious conspiracy trial in 1987-88 [after an all-white jury acquitted 13 white supremacists who were charged with plotting to overthrow the US government and kill federal officials] and the partial prosecution of Timothy McVeigh after the Oklahoma City bombing, where we saw the conviction of just one of a few conspirators rather than a prosecution geared at a movement, which is what this was.

I think Kenosha is a much more significant moment. It’s not my place to second-guess our judicial system. I believe in the rule of law. I believe in jury trial. But we know from the historical record that every time there is an incident like this, it has set off renewed activity by the white power movement, often with imminent casualties. Kenosha has not just been watched by extremists, but by a whole bunch of people on the right. It is a moment that animates not only the fringe, which is what we’ve seen before, but also components of the mainstream.

On the topic of the fringe and the mainstream, I often find myself not wanting to use the word extremist any more because it seems like we’re seeing fringe beliefs increasingly become more mainstream.

I’m a historian. The period I study is the 1980s and the 1990s and in that time period the white power movement really did not think it had any chance of making inroads in mainstream politics. But that’s clearly not the case any more. There was just a story going around about how at least 28 elected officials are current or former members of the Oath Keepers, which is an extrajudicial militia group, a private army. The idea that we can have elected officials from a private army is deeply, deeply concerning.

To clear up for readers who may get snarled when we use the word militia: all legal militia activity was incorporated into state national guard units in 1903 in the Dick Act. Everything else is extralegal. There are laws in the books in all 50 states that limit having private armies. And yet here they are. We have elected officials who report to these groups.

There are at least 10 people who participated in the insurrection on 6 January and have now been elected into office in the GOP. We’re not talking any more about one person with questionable quotes or one person who said something scandalous a long time ago. We’re talking about a movement of people who are acting in concert. This is a much different thing. We need to not only be thinking about the threat of mass casualty events, which has been imminent for the last several years, but also the threat to our democratic system.“
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... M6_vbc2FQk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:22 am
Was Kyle protecting his family or community? He wasn't. He didn't live in Kenosha.

And the reality that he should've kept his ass at home is only weak to you b/c it fits your ideologies. I'm not saying the government should have stood down, but you're up there saying that when they do it's up to the unqualified, un trained, un authorized citizens maintain law and order during extremely chaotic and dangerous events. That does nothing but exacerbate the problem.
His dad does.

Yep. A patriot.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

kalm wrote:Interesting interview with a white supremacy historian. It has become quite mainstream on the right.

The trial outcome is one thing…but the hero worship of Rittenhouse is unsettling.
There have been many acquittals and partial verdicts that the white power movement and militant groups have taken as signs that they can continue their activities unabated. I’m thinking of the acquittals in the Greensboro trials at state, federal and civil levels, [when members of the Ku Klux Klan and the American Nazi party shot and killed five marchers in an anti-Klan rally organized by the Communist Workers party in 1979], the acquittals in the seditious conspiracy trial in 1987-88 [after an all-white jury acquitted 13 white supremacists who were charged with plotting to overthrow the US government and kill federal officials] and the partial prosecution of Timothy McVeigh after the Oklahoma City bombing, where we saw the conviction of just one of a few conspirators rather than a prosecution geared at a movement, which is what this was.

I think Kenosha is a much more significant moment. It’s not my place to second-guess our judicial system. I believe in the rule of law. I believe in jury trial. But we know from the historical record that every time there is an incident like this, it has set off renewed activity by the white power movement, often with imminent casualties. Kenosha has not just been watched by extremists, but by a whole bunch of people on the right. It is a moment that animates not only the fringe, which is what we’ve seen before, but also components of the mainstream.

On the topic of the fringe and the mainstream, I often find myself not wanting to use the word extremist any more because it seems like we’re seeing fringe beliefs increasingly become more mainstream.

I’m a historian. The period I study is the 1980s and the 1990s and in that time period the white power movement really did not think it had any chance of making inroads in mainstream politics. But that’s clearly not the case any more. There was just a story going around about how at least 28 elected officials are current or former members of the Oath Keepers, which is an extrajudicial militia group, a private army. The idea that we can have elected officials from a private army is deeply, deeply concerning.

To clear up for readers who may get snarled when we use the word militia: all legal militia activity was incorporated into state national guard units in 1903 in the Dick Act. Everything else is extralegal. There are laws in the books in all 50 states that limit having private armies. And yet here they are. We have elected officials who report to these groups.

There are at least 10 people who participated in the insurrection on 6 January and have now been elected into office in the GOP. We’re not talking any more about one person with questionable quotes or one person who said something scandalous a long time ago. We’re talking about a movement of people who are acting in concert. This is a much different thing. We need to not only be thinking about the threat of mass casualty events, which has been imminent for the last several years, but also the threat to our democratic system.“
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... M6_vbc2FQk
So what does the Andrew Coffee verdict qualify as?

@phillywild305 FB
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:50 am

His dad does.

Yep. A patriot.
You guys have funny hero’s. Will he remain a patriot as ‘Murica matures into a more gracious, accepting, democratic, and less violent culture.

:lol: