SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Darling, you’ve got to let me know…

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:39 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:29 am

Partially true. The Central valley has/had a massive aqueduct that the farmers have tapped into. But yes, all of SoCal is one giant desert. Cadillac Desert is a good read that explains the water rights issues and projects that allowed SoCal to be what it is today.
I'll check that out. :thumb:

60 Minutes last night had a good segment on this..the sheer drop in volume at the Lakes Mead (already down 50 ft this year) and Powell and the Colorado River in general should be warning enough that something is wrong and needs to change. The water laws out there, also, make zero sense. Arizona has to completely cut off any water usage but California doesn't? :suspicious:

The simple fact that farming wouldn't exist in those areas w/o human intervention and infrastructure should tell you all you need to know.
Yeah those water rights aren't going away. :lol:

Cadillac Desert touches on that as well, and the pissing match between the Bureau of Rec and the ACOE and the encouragement to farmers to not grow crops that makes sense for their respective climates.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Col Hogan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:54 pm It is possible to survive in a situation that Iraq is finding itself in these days…all it would take is to establish a peaceful relationship with a country to its west…
I dunno man. It's a tough spot for the Iraqis. It almost seems like if they go there will be trouble, and if they stay it will be double. There are a lot of clashes in that part of the world.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:09 pm
Col Hogan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:54 pm It is possible to survive in a situation that Iraq is finding itself in these days…all it would take is to establish a peaceful relationship with a country to its west…
I dunno man. It's a tough spot for the Iraqis. It almost seems like if they go there will be trouble, and if they stay it will be double. There are a lot of clashes in that part of the world.
Your indecision’s bugging me.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:16 pm
You fundamentally can't take it?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Esta indecisión me molesta
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

It's always tease, tease, tease with you. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:29 am
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:24 am

It will still have impacts.
It will, because we've been attempting (as a civilization) to cram square pegs into round holes for the past 200+ years, with the areas that CAN support human life attempting to provide for those areas that CAN'T (Ethiopia, Sudan come immediately to top of mind).

We either stop the attempt to defeat Mother Nature, or we quit bitching. But we both know neither of those will happen.
Civilization in Mesopotamia was not a matter of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It is the cradle of civilization because there was a time when conditions there were conducive to that. The conditions have changed.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:27 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:29 am
It will, because we've been attempting (as a civilization) to cram square pegs into round holes for the past 200+ years, with the areas that CAN support human life attempting to provide for those areas that CAN'T (Ethiopia, Sudan come immediately to top of mind).

We either stop the attempt to defeat Mother Nature, or we quit bitching. But we both know neither of those will happen.
Civilization in Mesopotamia was not a matter of trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It is the cradle of civilization because there was a time when conditions there were conducive to that. The conditions have changed.
Conditions have changed and just like the former Keystone pipeline employees should get trained for 21st century jobs, people in southern Iraq should move to places that can support human life in the 21st century. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm