Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Bidenflation and Shortage thread

Post by HI54UNI »

What things have you seen increase dramatically in price? What shortages are you seeing? What item package/quantity sizes are you seeing shrink?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: Bidenflation and Shortage thread

Post by HI54UNI »

We've been in 2 restaurants that did not have to go boxes available. I've noticed a few different grocery packages shrinking with the same or increased prices.

At work electrical materials are really hard to come buy. Up to 1 year for some electric equipment.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Did a regular grocery shop yesterday and I would estimate my total was 20% higher than normal. I was really shocked at the total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Veggies have certainly gotten more expensive. As has the salmon that I buy 2x a month.

We went out a few weeks ago and chicken wings had skyrocketed. I used to get 12 for about $15 at this one place. Now it's 8 for $15.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:10 pm We've been in 2 restaurants that did not have to go boxes available. I've noticed a few different grocery packages shrinking with the same or increased prices.

At work electrical materials are really hard to come buy. Up to 1 year for some electric equipment.
You all should know by now where I work.
I'm in InfoSec and we can't even buy new servers due to chips and other parts being short.

No lie...at another major, global bank - testers are setting up servers with stacks full of Raspberry Pi machines.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Shortages: bottled water, of all things. Pasta. Cheese. Local car dealers have empty lots and showrooms.

Prices: Meat, fish, fresh produce, gasoline.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

A reporter who moved on from Sac 10 to SF 7 posted chicken prices at the store to which SHE goes. For a PAIR of chicken breasts, organic has gone up to over $20, while inorganic is up over $16.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Personal life: Groceries are up about 10-15%. Diesel is up about 60 cents/gallon compared to last year. Luckily I get most of my meat from home due to the fact that we butcher our own beef and pork. Electric bill is up a bit as well due to a price increase.

Work: The company I work for buy's steel by the unit train and costs went from $400/ton to $1400-1800/ton. And expected to stay in that range for the foreseeable future. Chip shortage has hit us hard as they are used in multiple control modules. Electric motors, hydraulic pumps, engines are all harder to get and lead times are 8 plus months out (if you can get them).

Multiple suppliers have told us, that they cannot do business with us as they can't keep their factories up either due to raw materials shortage or lack of workers or both. One supplier we helped fly up and board Puerto Ricans for 90 day stints just to keep the factory up and running.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

In Cali, gas prices aren't so much a Biden problem, but a Newsom/Brown problem. Democrats have stolen from the gas tax for decades to pay for pet projects (including benefits for illegal aliens), so that road projects haven't gotten done. Then yet another amendment to the already most bloated Constitution in the entire world allegedly guaranteed that THIS time, the new gas tax hike would HAVE to be used for road projects. (And, yes, there HAVE been some new projects, including their pipe dream of upgrading CA-99 (the former US-99) into I-7 or I-9 (they haven't decided which yet), thereby destroying the history of this incredible road. And people wonder why Cali has the highest gas prices in the nation. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

When will Biden be giving his or his puppet masters, State of Malaise speech?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I haven't had any problem having what I want be available. I've noticed gas prices being up. Also I saw that a new truck would cost a whole lot. That happened when my 2004 Titan's transmission went out and would cost $5,000 to replace. My first reaction, since my Titan has over 250,000 miles on it, was "oh well time to get a new truck."

I went to the dealership looking for a F-150 and saw that they were all over $50,000. Looked at some used ones and saw a 2017 with 88,000 miles on it at $34,000. I decided to replace my Titan's transmission and hang on to it for a while.

And I'm aware of the general inflation issue as well as supply chain problems. But my understanding is that both issues are global and not limited to the United States. I think they would be happening, at least in a general sense, regardless of who is President of the United States right now.

Here is one take on the situation: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... to-economy
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

No toilet paper at Costco. Again.
Proletarians of the world, unite!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

All of you high class m’fers should quit complaining. As should all the high class lower iand middle income folks who are getting hit hard by inflation. White Chief of Staff: “Inflation is a high class problem”
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... s-problems
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Rob Iola wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:27 pm No toilet paper at Costco. Again.
We don't have any Costcos here to my knowledge. But there are no problems of that type in my area. I remember when there were shortages of things like toilet paper, paper towels, and alcohol. Absolutely nothing like that around where I live.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Was reading this settlement has not helped California ports to offload containers. Essentially, trucks need to meet EPA guidelines and that's causing a shortage of trucks. Of course you hope there are more than three trucking companies, but assume the regulations hold for everyone. This was back in Oct 2020.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/us-epa ... -pollution
SAN FRANCISCO – Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced settlements with three interstate trucking companies imposing $417,000 in penalties for violating the California Air Resources Board’s federally enforceable Truck and Bus Regulation, Drayage Truck Regulation and Transport Refrigeration Unit Regulation.

“As trucks are one of the largest sources of air pollution in California, EPA will continue to ensure these heavy-duty vehicles have the needed pollution-control equipment and operate in compliance with the rules,” said EPA Pacific Southwest Regional Administrator John Busterud. “These companies have agreed to bring their trucks into compliance and operate more cleanly in all communities they serve.”
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:21 pm All of you high class m’fers should quit complaining. As should all the high class lower iand middle income folks who are getting hit hard by inflation. White Chief of Staff: “Inflation is a high class problem”
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... s-problems
What does race have to do with it?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

I'll take JSO Clichés for $200
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm I think they would be happening, at least in a general sense, regardless of who is President of the United States right now.
What is something JSO never uttered from 2016-20?

Correct!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm And I'm aware of the general inflation issue as well as supply chain problems. But my understanding is that both issues are global and not limited to the United States.
JSO, serious question. If cargo ships are lined up at many US ports, how can this be a global issue? The goods are being produced, being packed and being shipped. They're just not being received. So the chain is broken here, not elsewhere.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Costco...a waste of time for single people. They're there to cater to families, which is fine, but all you can get there is bulk, and that sort of thing goes bad before a single person can get to it all.

I'll take a regular grocery store any day of the week....

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Some bare shelves here and there but nothing crazy...yet. No nice TP at Costco, only the Kirkland stuff.

If you haven't filled your pantry with canned goods/dry foods (beans and rice), now would be the time to do so. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:36 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm And I'm aware of the general inflation issue as well as supply chain problems. But my understanding is that both issues are global and not limited to the United States.
JSO, serious question. If cargo ships are lined up at many US ports, how can this be a global issue? The goods are being produced, being packed and being shipped. They're just not being received. So the chain is broken here, not elsewhere.
This. Also heard there are lots of containers stacked up in Chinese ports waiting for shipment.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BTW this guys has been a good follow for stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/man_integrated?ref_ ... r%5Eauthor
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

And should this thread include strikes that are ongoing? Would impact this issue as well, no?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 am Was reading this settlement has not helped California ports to offload containers. Essentially, trucks need to meet EPA guidelines and that's causing a shortage of trucks. Of course you hope there are more than three trucking companies, but assume the regulations hold for everyone. This was back in Oct 2020.

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/us-epa ... -pollution
SAN FRANCISCO – Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced settlements with three interstate trucking companies imposing $417,000 in penalties for violating the California Air Resources Board’s federally enforceable Truck and Bus Regulation, Drayage Truck Regulation and Transport Refrigeration Unit Regulation.

“As trucks are one of the largest sources of air pollution in California, EPA will continue to ensure these heavy-duty vehicles have the needed pollution-control equipment and operate in compliance with the rules,” said EPA Pacific Southwest Regional Administrator John Busterud. “These companies have agreed to bring their trucks into compliance and operate more cleanly in all communities they serve.”
California also banned private owner/operators from transporting freight directly off the ports (sold out to the unions and big transport companies), which just leaves the big transport companies left to move the containers.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:51 am
89Hen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:36 am

This. Also heard there are lots of containers stacked up in Chinese ports waiting for shipment.
The article I posted the other day in a different thread went into this. Right now the U.S. ports are the major bottle neck due to a variety of reasons. Not the least is Unions, poor infrastructure (Unions fighting automation), and local policies.