4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Bidenflation and Shortage thread

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:24 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:03 pm

?? Why does it need to drop? I thought every time you go to an old person's birthday party and they do one of those things were they go over the cost of milk, a house, and other things from 50 years ago, I never recall them being cheaper now than they were then. Prices aren't going to come back down, the horse is out of the barn on that. Biden doesn't need to worry about it, to him at his age it is transitory, he doesn't need to worry about 5 years or 10 years in the future. Unless inflation carries over to the afterlife.
Disinflation does happen. Inflation does eventually correct itself. You can look at any chart and see the rate of inflation goes up and down. That's the transitory nature, IMO, that Biden is referring to. So he isn't really wrong...but he isn't being accurate b/c as you pointed out, prices increase over the years. He's using one measurement over another to give warm fuzzies . :lol: :twocents:

Maybe I don't fully understand inflation, deflation and disinflation but I can read a chart and see that rate of inflation is the highest it's been since the 80s.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-sta ... lation-cpi
The question is, what happens to the price of products as the inflation rate lowers. Does it just stop rising as fast, or does it go lower? Does it take deflation to lower?

For example: Say a product goes from $30 to $38 in six months as inflation rises from 1.5% to 7%. If inflation drops to 2.5% in the next 6 months, what happens to the price of that product? Does it "only" go up to $39 or does it drop to $32?

I thought I knew this but now I wonder. Can't remember paying attention to prices during high inflation volatility in the past. I think I need to get a better understanding of how "inflation" is calculated.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:04 am
Disinflation does happen. Inflation does eventually correct itself. You can look at any chart and see the rate of inflation goes up and down. That's the transitory nature, IMO, that Biden is referring to. So he isn't really wrong...but he isn't being accurate b/c as you pointed out, prices increase over the years. He's using one measurement over another to give warm fuzzies . :lol: :twocents:

Maybe I don't fully understand inflation, deflation and disinflation but I can read a chart and see that rate of inflation is the highest it's been since the 80s.
The question is, what happens to the price of products as the inflation rate lowers. Does it just stop rising as fast, or does it go lower? Does it take deflation to lower?

For example: Say a product goes from $30 to $38 in six months as inflation rises from 1.5% to 7%. If inflation drops to 2.5% in the next 6 months, what happens to the price of that product? Does it "only" go up to $39 or does it drop to $32?

I thought I knew this but now I wonder. Can't remember paying attention to prices during high inflation volatility in the past. I think I need to get a better understanding of how "inflation" is calculated.
Great questions and I don't know the answer. Using gas as an example, I remember the prices going up around the time of the Great Recession and dropping, but I don't recall if they settled lower to their pre-inflation cost or not.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Trust me, deflation is not something we want in order to "correct" the "transitory" inflation we see right now. Ask Japan how deflation went for them. The better option is to fix the fiscal policy coming from the Fed and to have the federal government stop deciding every few months that we need to inject trillions of dollars into the market. We probably went overboard with "COVID relief" with two too many relief bills, and thankfully we didn't do the third with the disastrous Build Back Better crap. Politicians love a good crisis, because then they can pass stuff that wouldn't pass when people have the time to look it over.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:45 am

Great questions and I don't know the answer. Using gas as an example, I remember the prices going up around the time of the Great Recession and dropping, but I don't recall if they settled lower to their pre-inflation cost or not.
Great examples, and no that’s not “deflation”….prices fluctuate. But when something like heating oil is up 25.5% THIS YEAR alone, THAT’s inflation, and it’s not transitory.

Guess we’ll see when the supply chain disruptions allegedly are behind us and watch what happens to car prices/values.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:45 am
Great examples, and no that’s not “deflation”….prices fluctuate. But when something like heating oil is up 25.5% THIS YEAR alone, THAT’s inflation, and it’s not transitory.

Guess we’ll see when the supply chain disruptions allegedly are behind us and watch what happens to car prices/values.
The wording used is wrong. Transitory is objective, IMO. 10 months isn't transitory. I'm just playing devil's advocate, btw.
One problem is that we’re not all on the same page about what “transitory” means. Merriam-Webster defines it as “of brief duration.” Oxford Languages calls it “not permanent.” There’s quite a gap between those two definitions! My lunch today was of brief duration. Our solar system is not permanent. One of those feels much more transitory to me than the other.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... ion-anyway
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:13 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 am

The wording used is wrong. Transitory is objective, IMO. 10 months isn't transitory. I'm just playing devil's advocate, btw.
One problem is that we’re not all on the same page about what “transitory” means. Merriam-Webster defines it as “of brief duration.” Oxford Languages calls it “not permanent.” There’s quite a gap between those two definitions! My lunch today was of brief duration. Our solar system is not permanent. One of those feels much more transitory to me than the other.
The Fed used the language in an attempt to excuse their lack of action on the rate front (their only remaining lever) to affect/reduce the inflation rate. Basically implying that it would fix itself very quickly. After 3-5 months of inflation above 4% they should have acted. But their fear they would slow down the economy overrode their fear that inflation would take hold and escalate. They bet wrong, we’ve had 10 consecutive months over 4% and now FOUR consecutive months over 6%, and now they’re gonna have to hammer rates pretty fast to get it back under control.

BTW, I don’t believe I’ve EVER heard them use the term before.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:39 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:13 am

The Fed used the language in an attempt to excuse their lack of action on the rate front (their only remaining lever) to affect/reduce the inflation rate. Basically implying that it would fix itself very quickly. After 3-5 months of inflation above 4% they should have acted. But their fear they would slow down the economy overrode their fear that inflation would take hold and escalate. They bet wrong, we’ve had 10 consecutive months over 4% and now FOUR consecutive months over 6%, and now they’re gonna have to hammer rates pretty fast to get it back under control.

BTW, I don’t believe I’ve EVER heard them use the term before.
We use it in cyber security...occasionally. Most people just say "brief."
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Our political class doesn't really believe government spending is creating the inflation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclus ... 022-02-16/
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Pwns wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:04 am Our political class doesn't really believe government spending is creating the inflation.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exclus ... 022-02-16/
Hey, but we gotta keep up with those Red Chinese! :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

From CNBC this morning:
A key inflation measure showed that prices rose at their fastest level in nearly 39 years, the Commerce Department reported Friday.

The core personal consumption expenditures price index, the Federal Reserve’s primary inflation gauge, rose 5.2% from a year ago, slightly more than the 5.1% Dow Jones estimate. It was the highest level since April 1983.

Including food and energy prices, headline PCE was up 6.1%, the strongest gain since February 1982.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/25/pce-inf ... 2022-.html
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:46 am From CNBC this morning:
A key inflation measure showed that prices rose at their fastest level in nearly 39 years, the Commerce Department reported Friday.

The core personal consumption expenditures price index, the Federal Reserve’s primary inflation gauge, rose 5.2% from a year ago, slightly more than the 5.1% Dow Jones estimate. It was the highest level since April 1983.

Including food and energy prices, headline PCE was up 6.1%, the strongest gain since February 1982.
That's lovely. Most Americans don't need the CPI to tell them this. I bought deck boards on Feb 2 for about $11...I bought more from the same store last weekend for about $2 more. Gas has gone up. Groceries were more expensive yesterday than they were earlier this month.

And it's only going to get worst. :twocents:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:19 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:46 am From CNBC this morning:

That's lovely. Most Americans don't need the CPI to tell them this. I bought deck boards on Feb 2 for about $11...I bought more from the same store last weekend for about $2 more. Gas has gone up. Groceries were more expensive yesterday than they were earlier this month.

*worse :kisswink:

And I agree. Not looking forward to the amount it will cost me to do the home improvements I want this year. Good news is when I want to teardown and re-do the garage, I have a contact through the Amish for cheap labor and lumber (relatively speaking).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:25 am

And I agree. Not looking forward to the amount it will cost me to do the home improvements I want this year. Good news is when I want to teardown and re-do the garage, I have a contact through the Amish for cheap labor and lumber (relatively speaking).
Fuck you!

worse vs worst always confuses me. It's my their/they're/there.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:05 am

Fuck you!

I have issues with affect vs. effect.

And apparently: "could of" and "should of". :chair:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Why not wurst?

Then we have tasty sausages to look forward to. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:29 am

Why not wurst?

This guy gets it!
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Why not wurst?

Well Ibanez does have the nickname "Stickybuns" and I didn't want to get him excited. :mrgreen:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:34 am

Why not wurst?

Well Ibanez does have the nickname "Stickybuns" and I didn't want to get him excited. :mrgreen:
You had to bring that up? :tothehand:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:15 am
Fuck you!

That’s because it’s “could have”….
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:15 am
Fuck you!

Intact - in tact.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Must be different Amish than the ones around here.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

houndawg wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:12 am

Must be different Amish than the ones around here.
We have the traditional ones around here. None of that pandering to tourist stuff.

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ha. It just hit me. When Biden says that inflation will begin to go down soon, it's because it is a 1 year look back. So with each month going forward, we get deeper into the Bidenomics as a comparison. :ohno: :ohno:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:40 am Ha. It just hit me. When Biden says that inflation will begin to go down soon, it's because it is a 1 year look back. So with each month going forward, we get deeper into the Bidenomics as a comparison. :ohno: :ohno:
Marketing. :nod:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Feb 2021’-Feb 22’. Brandon’s 1st 12 months:
7.9%.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/con ... y-2022.amp
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.