Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: The Official Trump 2024 Electability Thread

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:21 am

The suburban mothers vote is all part of 88's squishy middle. It is all how a candidate is portrayed and the media controls that influence.
So why fight it and commit political suicide? Play the game, and win. Being the loudest, most principled, and still losing gets your rights and income and property taken away.
No where am I arguing for a person like Trump to be nominated. I just do not think being a "compassionate" person is going to get a fair shake from the media. Period.

Would it be a wining strategy in a arena where they had a fair shake from the media? I think so and that you are right. But we don't and the media will vilify any candidate that the R's nominate (look at the stunts pulled by both sides in the last two elections. It was not because who the candidates were, though that helped, but the stance the media took and what they wanted). A person that is predominantly "compassionate" is going to be labeled as soft on everything, whether or not they are.

What is needed is a person that can come across as genuine and being able to stand firm on some issues and willing to work on others. But it is going to take very strong character and integrity to accomplish that and there is maybe one person other there on the R's side that has it (Haley and that is a maybe,IMHO). Whoever the candidate is will have to buy off not only the media, but members of their own party. It will take clout, charisma, and stones to do so. As zero favors will be given. Republicans have always been a bit more fractured then Democrats (comes with being more independent) and it is going to take more to bring the different parts together, compassion alone is not going to do it. The fringes are in control in both parties. You can take a moderate stance, but what is it going to get you when the other side isn't willing to work with you? So you win the Presidency, what about Congress? The times the Republicans controlled all three, they still didn't get shit done. When the best thing is gridlock, neither side is worth a hill of beans.The pendulum is swinging back and forth faster and faster and I do not think it will be stopped. I hope I am wrong though.

It doesn't matter who is elected, both sides do not give a crap about the common person and all they are concerned with is sucking the money of our paychecks into their pockets. The only difference is how fast it is happening and what tune is on the radio as we are all speeding down the highway. After the last 8 years, the speed isn't even that much different, only the optics that is being shown.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The bottom line is this: The political class and the system have been utter failures at dealing with issues like stagnant wages, rising costs in housing, health care, and higher education as well as mitigating the effects of globalization and automation.

Asking if Trump can win again is the wrong question. He could drop dead tomorrow but he's just the beginning if these issues aren't dealt with. And I think the dangers of him in office were overstated but he's hardly the most dangerous person you could have in office.

Like Andrew Yang said, Trump is just the symptom, but the disease is still growing.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:19 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:57 am Yes, however both sides are actively trying to "out-stupid" the other. :twocents:
And both sides are saying "fuck x's feelings" and the media is pushing the same narrative as that is what generates clicks. I think there is a fine line that a candidate can follow and come across as being firm on certain topics and amicable on others, but anytime a candidate will take that line. It will be spun into something else by the media. Media has no interest in a honest, genuine candidate. They want a bloodbath and two electorates that hate each other.

Fix the media (at least make it impartial) and I would agree with your point 93. Until then, it will not matter as each and every point will be twisted to fulfill what ever point the reporter is trying to make.
It’s almost as if we should have publicly funded elections with campaigning restricted to a couple of months or something.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:15 pm

And both sides are saying "fuck x's feelings" and the media is pushing the same narrative as that is what generates clicks. I think there is a fine line that a candidate can follow and come across as being firm on certain topics and amicable on others, but anytime a candidate will take that line. It will be spun into something else by the media. Media has no interest in a honest, genuine candidate. They want a bloodbath and two electorates that hate each other.

Fix the media (at least make it impartial) and I would agree with your point 93. Until then, it will not matter as each and every point will be twisted to fulfill what ever point the reporter is trying to make.
It’s almost as if we should have publicly funded elections with campaigning restricted to a couple of months or something.
Our elected are reflections of the electorate.

The only thing those proposals do, IMHO, is shift the corruption. If your electorate doesn't care, all the rules in the world will not matter.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:57 am Yes, however both sides are actively trying to "out-stupid" the other. :twocents:

Sadly this.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Awesome. After we tell people they can't talk about things like upcoming elections we should see what we can do about forbidding them to think about the elections. What else can we restrict from the forum of the public space? I'm all in favor of banning discussion of the dallas cowboys and that stupid "Masked Singer" show - let's say we can only talk about those things between 4PM and 4:15PM on every other Tuesday. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:11 am
93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:46 am DeSantis is divisive. Republicans can keep going with the Trumpian "fuck your feelings" mantra, but I see that as political crack.

If, for just once again, conservatives could be compassionate again, it could really go a long way.

Edit: OK, I see Sticky and I basically posted the same thing at the same time. It's valid.
Compassion means losing in this atmosphere. It means apologizing for your ideals and in general, being a pussy when the chips are on the table. It shouldn't be that way but in today's political arena that is how it is viewed. So no, conservatives and those with conservative ideals need someone with a "fuck you" approach or they'll continue to get ran over.

Haley's service under the Trump admin will absolutely be used against her, because anything Trump is villainized. The same will happen to her so not buying the idea that people will overlook that. But I agree she would be a good candidate.

I prefer Trump not to run again, but the Biden* admin has been doing so poorly that I don't think it will really matter if he runs or not. Dems doubled down on their woke bullshit so it's either whatever the Conks can run or 3rd party for me in '24.

I think we'll see a Trump/DeSantis ticket in '24. I think a Haley/DeSantis ticket would be interesting, but I don't see DeSantis being a VP on a ticket. Long time away so who knows what actually will happen.
Yep. The last thing we need is another milquetoast conk touting touting the ‘compassionate comservative’ thing in the mold of Romney or Jeb. Just have competent comservatism.

With Desantis you have Trump & similar policies but:
-with the pedigree (Harvard Law, military, (JAG but did deploy with SEALS in Fallujah),
-with the public exec experience (winning gov election in purpleish/redish FL, & one of the most dofficult states to govern,
-winning re-election in FL 2022 (if not then he is done).
-but without the meam tweets and some of the buffoomery.

Even have the smoking hot wife like Trump..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:12 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am

There is definitely a scorched earth vibe emerging from the fringes of both sides. DeSantis is playing into that a bit.

I do not disagree with you on the compassionate thought. But unless both sides are willing to meet in the middle, the only thing compassion will get you is ran over by the side that doesn't care (this applies to the middles of both parties).
This. Beat me to it.
x3.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am So you all are pretty much validating my thought that the American electorate, particularly on the conservative side, is too stupid to see the forest for the trees. The "fuck your feelings" political crack will continue to be smoked.

That's a shame.

In an election where the Dem POTUS candidate should get stomped, they're fixing to lose 49/51 again. But by golly, they'll be the loudest and most committed to the cause! May even put together a world record boat parade, because that's productive. :lol:
Desantis will curb stomp Biden or Harris.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:15 pm
93henfan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:55 am So you all are pretty much validating my thought that the American electorate, particularly on the conservative side, is too stupid to see the forest for the trees. The "fuck your feelings" political crack will continue to be smoked.

That's a shame.

In an election where the Dem POTUS candidate should get stomped, they're fixing to lose 49/51 again. But by golly, they'll be the loudest and most committed to the cause! May even put together a world record boat parade, because that's productive. :lol:
Desantis will curb stomp Biden or Harris.
Focusing in on the decrease in quality of life (inflation, cost of living, illegals, crime) is the message conks need to stay on. They stray from that and they'll probably lose in both '22 (or at least not win as much as they should) and '24. Anyone thinking they should focus on anything else is a fucktard.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:21 pm

Awesome. After we tell people they can't talk about things like upcoming elections we should see what we can do about forbidding them to think about the elections. What else can we restrict from the forum of the public space? I'm all in favor of banning discussion of the dallas cowboys and that stupid "Masked Singer" show - let's say we can only talk about those things between 4PM and 4:15PM on every other Tuesday. :coffee:
Yeah…let’s just sit around and bitch about it instead. Pretend that the system isn’t broken and it’s not really corrupt.

And don’t lie…you fucking love that “masked singer “ show. Whatever in the hell that is, Boomer.

:coffee: :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:35 pm

Yeah…let’s just sit around and bitch about it instead. Pretend that the system isn’t broken and it’s not really corrupt.

And don’t lie…you fucking love that “masked singer “ show. Whatever in the hell that is, Boomer.

So now (after the magical 81,000,000 votes for Biden you are willing to admit the system is corrupt and broken? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:37 pm

So now (after the magical 81,000,000 votes for Biden you are willing to admit the system is corrupt and broken? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It's too nuanced for us to grasp.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:45 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:13 am

I don't understand that statement. Are you suggesting DeSantis is NOT a viable candidate? Or that he is too much of a Trumpite to ignore him?
He's too much of a Trumpite. He's already a divisive person and I know the GOP loves that...but that could harm them in 2024. 2024 should be played smartly and safely.

I don't believe Haley has the divisive history that DeSantis has nor, IMO, is she perceived to be a Trump lackey. Haley left with her integrity intact, she worked will for the Trump administration and she can use that to her credit.
I disagree. He’s Trump’s policies without Trump’s idiocy and mean tweets. If by divisive you mean “not cowtowing to the Donks” then sure, I guess he’s divisive. But he’s a believer in states rights, personal freedom, personal responsibility, etc., etc.

He would absolutely busroll Harris. I would pay good money to see that. REALLY pay good money to see them debate. She’s dumber than a fucking box of rocks (unless she’s been pre-fed the questions).
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:41 pm
He's too much of a Trumpite. He's already a divisive person and I know the GOP loves that...but that could harm them in 2024. 2024 should be played smartly and safely.

I don't believe Haley has the divisive history that DeSantis has nor, IMO, is she perceived to be a Trump lackey. Haley left with her integrity intact, she worked will for the Trump administration and she can use that to her credit.
I disagree. He’s Trump’s policies without Trump’s idiocy and mean tweets. If by divisive you mean “not cowtowing to the Donks” then sure, I guess he’s divisive. But he’s a believer in states rights, personal freedom, personal responsibility, etc., etc.

He would absolutely busroll Harris. I would pay good money to see that. REALLY pay good money to see them debate. She’s dumber than a fucking box of rocks (unless she’s been pre-fed the questions).
What do you mean if? The msm will for sure give the DNC the heads up on debate questions...again...
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

First of all, I'm a Gen X'er, and darn proud of that. You're just self-projecting with that Boomer ridicule. And no, I can't stand the "Masked Singer". Watched it once and felt like I was watching some type of satire, or some show that they pretended existed in the "RoboCop" movie - "I'd buy that for a dollar". Just an awful reflection of where culture is these days and what passes for entertainment. But to each their own. Different strokes and all. Can't think of anymore cliches.

As for the concept of free speech and expression, yeah, I'm going to be resistant to your attempts to implement a police state so that you can have elections that are untainted from actual people expressing themselves however they want to express themselves. I agree, the system doesn't work well right now, and yes, the main problem is the people involved. But I don't think you solve that by stifling and eliminating speech. I like that line from the "American President" when Michael Douglas says that America is "advanced citizenship". It is, it's hard, it's frustrating that so many dumb and/or unprincipled people get to freely express their views. We've had an explosion in the past 20-30 years of people, regardless of their intelligence, getting to opine on anything and everything. But I don't see the system that works that starts by saying speech needs to be shuttered.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:13 pm

What do you mean if? The msm will for sure give the DNC the heads up on debate questions...again...
I know. That’s why I added that caveat.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 pm

First of all, I'm a Gen X'er, and darn proud of that. You're just self-projecting with that Boomer ridicule. And no, I can't stand the "Masked Singer". Watched it once and felt like I was watching some type of satire, or some show that they pretended existed in the "RoboCop" movie - "I'd buy that for a dollar". Just an awful reflection of where culture is these days and what passes for entertainment. But to each their own. Different strokes and all. Can't think of anymore cliches.

As for the concept of free speech and expression, yeah, I'm going to be resistant to your attempts to implement a police state so that you can have elections that are untainted from actual people expressing themselves however they want to express themselves. I agree, the system doesn't work well right now, and yes, the main problem is the people involved. But I don't think you solve that by stifling and eliminating speech. I like that line from the "American President" when Michael Douglas says that America is "advanced citizenship". It is, it's hard, it's frustrating that so many dumb and/or unprincipled people get to freely express their views. We've had an explosion in the past 20-30 years of people, regardless of their intelligence, getting to opine on anything and everything. But I don't see the system that works that starts by saying speech needs to be shuttered.
How can you even begin to argue limitations on speech when you’re not even quick enough to realize my “boomer” comment was tongue in cheek…considering we’re both Gen x’ers and I’m a few years older than you.

I’d follow up with a harmless quip about your fondness of dad jokes but it wouldn’t be worth the JSO length righteously indignant reply…

:ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

I’ve been talking about the broken and corrupt system for years including Democratic side.

Being post partisan and right about almost everything is exhausting sometimes…

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

No, that's not what I mean by divisive. His politicization of masks and science (and then lamenting that he's doesn't understand how that happened. Fucking idiot) is just one recent example. He's pitted people against each other, school districts against the state...that's divisive.

Politicians all seem to forget that they also represent those that didn't vote for them. He's the Trump w/o the bad hair, temper tantrum and lack of basic US history...but that doesn't mean he's the best person going forward. :twocents:

Haley going up against Harris will remove the, " GOP is sexists" and " he's mansplaining" BS that the woke crowd would eventually throw at any male opponent of Harris'. I think Haley can go toe to toe with her. She's got the Executive and Foreign Policy experience, they're both minority women, one has the baggage of the Trump administration. The other will have that of Biden's. Harris is going to have the border crisis, Afghanistan and lord knows what else to come tagged to her. Haley won't. :rofl:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:48 am
No, that's not what I mean by divisive. His politicization of masks and science (and then lamenting that he's doesn't understand how that happened. Fucking idiot) is just one recent example. He's pitted people against each other, school districts against the state...that's divisive.

Politicians all seem to forget that they also represent those that didn't vote for them. He's the Trump w/o the bad hair, temper tantrum and lack of basic US history...but that doesn't mean he's the best person going forward. :twocents:

Haley going up against Harris will remove the, " GOP is sexists" and " he's mansplaining" BS that the woke crowd would eventually throw at any male opponent of Harris'. I think Haley can go toe to toe with her. She's got the Executive and Foreign Policy experience, they're both minority women, one has the baggage of the Trump administration. The other will have that of Biden's. Harris is going to have the border crisis, Afghanistan and lord knows what else to come tagged to her. Haley won't. :rofl:
Since when has rational thought been part of the woke crowds MO? Those terms will still be used and applied to Haley.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:10 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:48 am

Since when has rational thought been part of the woke crowds MO? Those terms will still be used and applied to Haley.
True. That'll be the hypocrisy we all love to see.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Like I said before, Trump got out-Trumped by the Donks. The manufactured more votes than Trump expected, therefore, Trump didn't manufacture enough votes and cried foul. That is what is crooked and broken about the system.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:04 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 pm

How can you even begin to argue limitations on speech when you’re not even quick enough to realize my “boomer” comment was tongue in cheek…considering we’re both Gen x’ers and I’m a few years older than you.

I’d follow up with a harmless quip about your fondness of dad jokes but it wouldn’t be worth the JSO length righteously indignant reply…

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:41 am
kalm wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:04 am

You just made the list, Pal. :twisted: