Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Biden’s Scorecard

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:01 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:50 pm

I read somewhere that the lease sale is meaningless unless there is something to force the various Fed departments to issue actual drilling permits. Plus nobody wants to drill even if they can get the permits because they don't know if they will be able to continue to operate and recover their investment.
Indeed - there won't be any further considerable investment in fossil fuels as it's been made clear that at all levels and all steps in the process that they'll be fought and blocked. That was very clear the first day Biden was in office. We've made our bed in that regard. Now we have to deal with the gap between now and when non-fossil fuels will be ready to fully supply the needs we have that fossil fuels were doing. Would be nice to get nuclear going but it's unlikely right now that environmentalists will let that happen. The hiccup with gas prices earlier in the year will just a taste of what's the come in the future as we make this transition. Next decade or so will be chaos in that regard as we do this. Could've been done smoother, but politics got in the way.
Until at least 25’. That won’t change if the donks still comtrol the WH. It will if its Trump or Desantis.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:45 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:01 pm

Indeed - there won't be any further considerable investment in fossil fuels as it's been made clear that at all levels and all steps in the process that they'll be fought and blocked. That was very clear the first day Biden was in office. We've made our bed in that regard. Now we have to deal with the gap between now and when non-fossil fuels will be ready to fully supply the needs we have that fossil fuels were doing. Would be nice to get nuclear going but it's unlikely right now that environmentalists will let that happen. The hiccup with gas prices earlier in the year will just a taste of what's the come in the future as we make this transition. Next decade or so will be chaos in that regard as we do this. Could've been done smoother, but politics got in the way.
Until at least 25’. That won’t change if the donks still comtrol the WH. It will if its Trump or Desantis.
Nah, there's already too much other things in place (ESG investing, assuming that holds up) as well as just other procedural/legal loops that make it all but silly to invest in it anymore. The WH changes parties too often to think there's any stable policy going forward, so not worth the incredible amounts of money that would be need to invest in it. Fossil fuels are over from a long term strategy.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 pm
Nah, there's already too much other things in place (ESG investing, assuming that holds up) as well as just other procedural/legal loops that make it all but silly to invest in it anymore. The WH changes parties too often to think there's any stable policy going forward, so not worth the incredible amounts of money that would be need to invest in it. Fossil fuels are over from a long term strategy.
I kind of agree with you. The massive financial investment, not to mention the time it takes for that investment to actually pay dividends, makes countries shy away from making the investment when laws/regulations are whipsawed back and forth from one administration to the next.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

There’s not going to be no US investment in fossil fuels going forward. Maybe not much big $$$ investment domestically for traditional extraction. But plenty of analysts on the interwebs have said fossil fuels will still dominate worldwide in 2050 (with 2 billion more people). Virtually every product you buy in the store is petroleum based, or has petroleum based components or packaging. Thats mot changing. What the big US oil companies can’t get with traditional domestic production because of roadblocks put up by the left, will get from big overseas investments. And domestically, fracking will still get big investment $$$. Its mostly done on private land in red states, and as I understand it, it doesn’t take nearly as long term for a return on investment that traditional, more expensive, longer term exploration and drilling does. And on top of fossil fuels, now we get to have all the strip mining for cobalt and lithium for the tens of millions (hundreds of millions over the coming decades worldwide) EVs..Good times..
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:50 pm

There’s not going to be no US investment in fossil fuels going forward. Maybe not much big $$$ investment domestically for traditional extraction. But plenty of analysts on the interwebs have said fossil fuels will still dominate worldwide in 2050 (with 2 billion more people). Virtually every product you buy in the store is petroleum based, or has petroleum based components or packaging. Thats mot changing. What the big US oil companies can’t get with traditional domestic production because of roadblocks put up by the left, will get from big overseas investments. And domestically, fracking will still get big investment $$$. Its mostly done on private land in red states, and as I understand it, it doesn’t take nearly as long term for a return on investment that traditional, more expensive, longer term exploration and drilling does. And on top of fossil fuels, now we get to have all the strip mining for cobalt and lithium for the tens of millions (hundreds of millions over the coming decades worldwide) EVs..Good times..
Almost guaranteed they’re not building any more refineries, though. So the amount of oil pumped/produced is not the limiting factor.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:17 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:50 pm
Almost guaranteed they’re not building any more refineries, though. So the amount of oil pumped/produced is not the limiting factor.
Mostly true. None new US since the 1970s. Have just expanded & upgraded existing ones. Except for the Bizons..
https://www.hydrocarbons-technology.com ... th-dakota/
And this year after being stalled by several years of litigation..
https://www.inforum.com/business/constr ... k-ceo-says
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Wait so poor people can get 30% off solar panels that cost thousands. :dunce:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:23 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:17 pm

Mostly true. None new US since the 1970s. Have just expanded & upgraded existing ones. Except for the Bizons..
https://www.hydrocarbons-technology.com ... th-dakota/
And this year after being stalled by several years of litigation..
https://www.inforum.com/business/constr ... k-ceo-says
Hey, motherfucker: I do NOT need you factchecking me like fucking FB or Instagram. Stay in your own fucking lane. :tothehand:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Dementia will be on dispaly Thursday night.
Biden to give prime-time speech on 'soul of the nation' as voters prepare to cast midterm ballots
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white- ... -rcna45358
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Frankly a lot more has been done legislatively since Biden took over. One can argue about whether or not it's been good legislation. But all indications are that Biden has been far more adept as working with the legislature than Trump was.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:57 pm Frankly a lot more has been done legislatively since Biden took over. One can argue about whether or not it's been good legislation. But all indications are that Biden has been far more adept as working with the legislature than Trump was.
So difficult when you have both houses. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:17 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:57 pm Frankly a lot more has been done legislatively since Biden took over. One can argue about whether or not it's been good legislation. But all indications are that Biden has been far more adept as working with the legislature than Trump was.
Indeed, very little passes Congress anymore without both houses in the same control as the Presidency.

As for JSO's post, that sounds more like a partisan messaging campaign in the leadup to the midterms. In reality, again, very little has gotten done, and, even as JSO points out, what got done is questionable at best as to whether we should've even done it. Trump's big accomplishments through the legislature were the tax code rewrite (I'd argue that was generally good, a diamond in the rough for Team Trump) and the NAFTA updates (nothing earth shattering, wasn't great but wasn't bad either). Biden got the semiconductor chip bill passed (right now neutral until we see if it's just a handout or if genuinely new manufacturing that wasn't already coming will be a result) and the Inflation Reduction Act (generally not good - actually hurts inflation, benefits to climate change are just cosmetic and exactly the type of legislation that the IPCC was saying was not helpful - I do like the Medicare price setting feature, but that doesn't even kick in until 2026). Both Presidents passed a lot of COVID money relief, but Trump passed one after it was needed and Biden's efforts were clearly after the need as well and both ended up contributing to the historic rise in inflation that we've been and will continue to be burdened with for some time to come. To date, though, there really has been much difference in terms of legislative output.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

:lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Of the four Presidents I can reasonably evaluate in my lifetime, Biden's been the greatest by a mile.

I'd like him to be less conservative, but at this point, he gets my vote again in the GA (but not the primary) if he runs in '24.

B-, with most the points off for the Afghan withdrawal.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Not my guy but Horace is doing ok…

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I didn't know that. Thank you Joe for setting me straight.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

:rofl:

Not even 12 hours later and Grampa Badfinger is walking back his statements.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Trump did for the first two years of his term and he could not get as much through.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:24 am :rofl:

Not even 12 hours later and Grampa Badfinger is walking back his statements.

Missed an opportunity. i frankly think Democrats should double down on this. This country does have a problem in the Republican base. There is a critical mass of horribly ignorant, hateful people who form the majority of the Republican base. it is what it is. And Democrats should be willing to talk honestly about the threat those people pose to the rest of us. The pitch should be to the people in the squishy middle.

There is no way the nut jobs in the Trump base are going to vote for Democrats anyway. But there are people who don't feel that strongly either way. The pitch should be to those people. There should be no effort to reason with, convince, or humor the core Republican base. They are the villains. They don't need to be reasoned with. They need to be defeated. They need to be marginalized. They need to be kicked out of any position of influence in the society.

He should have just said, "Hell YES hard core Trump supporters are a threat to the country." It's like I heard some Republican former Congresswoman today talking about how he should not have attached the people who support Trump and just focused on Trump. Well, hell, those people voted to put an atrocity like Trump in the Presidency. They ARE a problem for the country.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:56 pm

Indeed, very little passes Congress anymore without both houses in the same control as the Presidency.

As for JSO's post, that sounds more like a partisan messaging campaign in the leadup to the midterms. In reality, again, very little has gotten done, and, even as JSO points out, what got done is questionable at best as to whether we should've even done it. Trump's big accomplishments through the legislature were the tax code rewrite (I'd argue that was generally good, a diamond in the rough for Team Trump) and the NAFTA updates (nothing earth shattering, wasn't great but wasn't bad either). Biden got the semiconductor chip bill passed (right now neutral until we see if it's just a handout or if genuinely new manufacturing that wasn't already coming will be a result) and the Inflation Reduction Act (generally not good - actually hurts inflation, benefits to climate change are just cosmetic and exactly the type of legislation that the IPCC was saying was not helpful - I do like the Medicare price setting feature, but that doesn't even kick in until 2026). Both Presidents passed a lot of COVID money relief, but Trump passed one after it was needed and Biden's efforts were clearly after the need as well and both ended up contributing to the historic rise in inflation that we've been and will continue to be burdened with for some time to come. To date, though, there really has been much difference in terms of legislative output.
The infrastructure and Jobs Act go through during Biden's term. Another thing is that he did not have any failures as spectacular as Trump's failure to get the Affordable Care Act eliminated. Yet another thing is that funding for his stupid border wall was a very big thing for Trump and he was never able to get Congress to do anything close to what he wanted in that regard. He had to divert funding from other areas.

i am confident that Biden will go down in history as having accomplished more legislatively during his first term than Trump did. With respect to the really big "change" things he got an infrastructure bill as well as what he's calling the Inflation Reduction Act bill that's got all the Climate Change stuff, Medicare drug price negotiation, etc. stuff in it. All Trump got was a tax cut. I think Trump was notoriously ineffective in dealing with Congress. Biden hasn't been the greatest, and both were dealing with narrow majorities during their first two years. But Biden's majorities were narrower. And he's still gotten more done.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:05 pm

The infrastructure and Jobs Act go through during Biden's term. Another thing is that he did not have any failures as spectacular as Trump's failure to get the Affordable Care Act eliminated. Yet another thing is that funding for his stupid border wall was a very big thing for Trump and he was never able to get Congress to do anything close to what he wanted in that regard. He had to divert funding from other areas.

i am confident that Biden will go down in history as having accomplished more legislatively during his first term than Trump did. With respect to the really big "change" things he got an infrastructure bill as well as what he's calling the Inflation Reduction Act bill that's got all the Climate Change stuff, Medicare drug price negotiation, etc. stuff in it. All Trump got was a tax cut. I think Trump was notoriously ineffective in dealing with Congress. Biden hasn't been the greatest, and both were dealing with narrow majorities during their first two years. But Biden's majorities were narrower. And he's still gotten more done.
And to prove what giant fucking hypocrites they are, NOW they are building the wall he wanted built 5 years ago. But you see no problem with that.

“All Trump got was a tax cut”. You are in some serious fucking denial. You should seek professional help.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Like I said in another thread, Trump probably should've just gone ahead and built the wall, regardless if Congress authorized him to or gave him money to do it. Biden's showing with the Student Loan Forgiveness, which is many orders of magnitude more than a measly old wall, that you don't even need to work with Congress to spend billions (if not trillions once this is all over). There's no need to work with the legislature apparently.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:31 am

Like I said in another thread, Trump probably should've just gone ahead and built the wall, regardless if Congress authorized him to or gave him money to do it. Biden's showing with the Student Loan Forgiveness, which is many orders of magnitude more than a measly old wall, that you don't even need to work with Congress to spend billions (if not trillions once this is all over). There's no need to work with the legislature apparently.
The continued abdication of congressional responsibilities to the executive branch is very troublesome.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:18 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:31 am

The continued abdication of congressional responsibilities to the executive branch is very troublesome.
One could almost call it fascist. :coffee:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:49 pm Looks like Manchin was bribed:
U.S. Senator Joe Manchin has, “secured a commitment,” from President Joe Biden, Leader Chuck Schumer and Speaker Nancy Pelosi to allow the Mountain Valley Pipeline (MVP) to be completed.

According to Senator Manchin’s office, the commitment from President Biden, Schumer and Pelosi will be used to pass legislation for the MVP to be completed and, “streamline the permitting process for all energy infrastructure.” This will be used from, “transmission to pipelines and export facilities.”

Manchin’s office says it will be voted on by the end of the fiscal year, which is Sept. 30, 2022.

It says the MVP is already 94% complete and will, “[unlock] 2 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day.”

Manchin’s team says $1.2 billion will be used in additional investment to complete the project, it will take an estimated four to five months to complete, around 2,500 construction-related jobs will be used, $40 million will be seen annually in new tax revenue for West Virginia and $200 to $250 million more per year in royalties for WV landowners...[/quote}
https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/manch ... -pipeline/
Now Machin is getting fucked by the left. Never should have agreed to signed the ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ 1st without getting a vote on the fossil fuel permitting, and more importantly, his WV Mountain Valley Pipeline Project..
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/71-hou ... nding-bill