Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:08 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Klammy has his head buried so far up his ass regarding ANY criticism of the dem party it’s frightening. ANTIFA is “just an idea”. CRT “isn’t being taught”. 1/6 was “an insurrection”.
No...my role here is balance. And to talk you Trumpers back from the ledge.

I’m as under-appreciated as D1B... :ohno:
:rofl:

How can you say that when you reliably rise to the defense of every single progressive hobby horse that ever gets brought up on this forum? I can go to Salon.com on any given day to see what your response is going to be on whatever Republicans are up in arms about.

I can think of at least ten regular posters on here who are more balanced than you are.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:57 am

How can you say that when you reliably rise to the defense of every single progressive hobby horse that ever gets brought up on this forum? I can go to Salon.com on any given day to see what your response is going to be on whatever Republicans are up in arms about.

I can think of at least ten regular posters on here who are more balanced than you are.
I haven’t read a salon piece in years but I just saw a headline from it regarding panpsychism that looks intriguing. :thumb:

I think your numbers are correct. 10 balanced posters to you means I’m gonna be busy righting the ship. For the sake of keeping CS balanced.

You’re welcome.

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:27 am Minnesota student says she was not allowed to tell parents about school 'equity survey'

Just trying to help the kids understand history, no agenda here.
But it's not in schools though...
In this case it isn't. Yet! It's obviously on the agenda but Kalm wants us to look at everything in a vacuum at the current point in time. CRT, the 1691 Project, etc. are different issues, not part of a pattern, and should not be considered together. It's not part of curriculum today is a deflection.

Having spent 5 years substitute teaching, my experience with teachers is that most don't have an agenda and are doing the best they can to work around or within the BS and really teach their students.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Crazy people don't think they're crazy either.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

My guess is that Kalm looks at the scales of CS and sees only a handful of liberals (Jelly, Houndy, Trip, DBJ, JSO) and a horde of what he considers conservatives (BDK, Baldy, 89, SG, SD, Hogan, Ivy, Flaggy, Leadbolt, Pwns, Andy, AZ, etc.) and believes that he providing balance against that conservative majority.
Last edited by UNI88 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:43 pm My guess is that Kalm looks at the scales of CS and sees only a handful of liberals (Jelly, Houndy, Trip, DBJ, JSO) and a horde of what he considers conservatives (BDK, Baldy, SG, SD, Hogan, Ivy, Flaggy, Leadbolt, Pwns, Andy, AZ, etc.) and believes that he providing balance against that conservative majority.
I'm a middle guy!!! :rockon:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:15 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:43 pm My guess is that Kalm looks at the scales of CS and sees only a handful of liberals (Jelly, Houndy, Trip, DBJ, JSO) and a horde of what he considers conservatives (BDK, Baldy, 89, SG, SD, Hogan, Ivy, Flaggy, Leadbolt, Pwns, Andy, AZ, etc.) and believes that he providing balance against that conservative majority.
:wall: How could I forget you? There is no way the Korporal considers you middle.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:43 pm

My guess is that Kalm looks at the scales of CS and sees only a handful of liberals (Jelly, Houndy, Trip, DBJ, JSO) and a horde of what he considers conservatives (BDK, Baldy, 89, SG, SD, Hogan, Ivy, Flaggy, Leadbolt, Pwns, Andy, AZ, etc.) and believes that he providing balance against that conservative majority.
I'm a free-market libertarian (small L), so I ain't no Trumper, right-winger, and I don't claim to be a member of the mushy middle by any means. However, I'm certainly more centered than our fair skinned friend from the Palouse. :nod:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I disagree with a central premise of Critical Race Theory in that I don't think what we call "race" is a social construct. There has been lots of interbreeding so the lines are blurred but I don't think there is any question that there were different subspecies of Homo sapiens, say, 10,000 years ago, if you go by the classic definition of "subspecies" I was taught when I was a biology major back in the late 70s and early 80s.

If two populations are morphologically distinct form each other and reproductively isolated from each other they are, by the classic definition. different subspecies. There is no question that, if you'd have compared a human community in South Africa 10,000 years ago to a human community in what we now call Norway 10,000 years ago you'd have seen two groups that were morphologically distinct from each other and reproductively isolated from each other. If somebody randomly selected 100 individuals from each group you would have had NO problem using morphology to correctly separate the 200 individuals and correctly classifying 100 as being from the South Africa group and 100 as being from the Norway group.

It's not a social construct.

Having said all that, I do think conservatives are over reaching with this. It is indeed true, for instance, that Critical Race Theory is not being taught in schools. This looks to me like Republicans looking for an issue they can inflame their base with.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

On the 2022 elections thing: If I had to bet I'd bet the Democrats lose ground. But that's because of the history of mid term elections. I think that, even though neither party is particularly popular right now, The Democrat Party is doing better than the Republican Party right now.

The latest YouGov poll is an example. See https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/1aaz80mjhy/ ... Report.pdf. In that one 45% of registered voters view the Democrat Party favorably while 32% view the Republican Party favorably. 21% view the Democrat Party "very favorably." Only 9% view the Republican Party like that. Polls have error. But those are pretty big differences.

There's also the Gallup Party affiliation thing. In the latest check on that, Gallup had 50% either Democrat or leaning Democrat vs. 41% either Republican or leaning Republican.

Meanwhile Biden is still above 50% in the Real Clear Politics Job Approval rating. 52.2% approve vs. 43.8% disapprove. As you now, the highest Real Clear Politics job approval Trump ever got was 47.4%.

Again: If I had to bet, I'd bet the Republicans do well in 2022. Can't ignore the history. But, right now, the Republicans aren't doing real well in terms of public perception. Right now, they have a bigger problem in that regard than the Democrats do.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:On the 2022 elections thing: If I had to bet I'd bet the Democrats lose ground. But that's because of the history of mid term elections. I think that, even though neither party is particularly popular right now, The Democrat Party is doing better than the Republican Party right now.

The latest YouGov poll is an example. See https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/1aaz80mjhy/ ... Report.pdf. In that one 45% of registered voters view the Democrat Party favorably while 32% view the Republican Party favorably. 21% view the Democrat Party "very favorably." Only 9% view the Republican Party like that. Polls have error. But those are pretty big differences.

There's also the Gallup Party affiliation thing. In the latest check on that, Gallup had 50% either Democrat or leaning Democrat vs. 41% either Republican or leaning Republican.

Meanwhile Biden is still above 50% in the Real Clear Politics Job Approval rating. 52.2% approve vs. 43.8% disapprove. As you now, the highest Real Clear Politics job approval Trump ever got was 47.4%.

Again: If I had to bet, I'd bet the Republicans do well in 2022. Can't ignore the history. But, right now, the Republicans aren't doing real well in terms of public perception. Right now, they have a bigger problem in that regard than the Democrats do.
Hey whaddaya know!

Historical precedence!

Not to be confused with evidence... but then evidence is only used to decipher past events, not future ones... so I’ll give you this one.

However, historical precedence IS being used as evidence to argue in favor of zoonotic transfer as the COVID-19 origin.

Which makes me wonder...

How do you change logical gears so rapidly without throwing what few gaskets you have left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

That’s literally what I said so thank you. :lol:

I’d feel kind of bad if I thought I was the only one here occasionally guilty of a wee bit of trolling.

The political center is squishy and labels are tricky. EG: I think monopolies are really bad and the protecting the environment should be a huge priority. I also order from Amazon and believe strongly in the preservation of property rights.

America’ing is challenging to reconcile. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:43 pm

I'm a free-market libertarian (small L), so I ain't no Trumper, right-winger, and I don't claim to be a member of the mushy middle by any means. However, I'm certainly more centered than our fair skinned friend from the Palouse. :nod:
Hey! My brotha! I’m a small l libertarian too! I just happen to be surrounded by selfish assholes who lack a sense of community and virtue and think kicking the ladder down behind them has no consequences.

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:43 pm My guess is that Kalm looks at the scales of CS and sees only a handful of liberals (Jelly, Houndy, Trip, DBJ, JSO) and a horde of what he considers conservatives (BDK, Baldy, SG, SD, Hogan, Ivy, Flaggy, Leadbolt, Pwns, Andy, AZ, etc.) and believes that he providing balance against that conservative majority.
I'm just happy to get mentioned. :lol: I guess it was the FB birthday wish that put me over.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 am
Baldy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:43 pm
Hey! My brotha! I’m a small l libertarian too! I just happen to be surrounded by selfish assholes who lack a sense of community and virtue and think kicking the ladder down behind them has no consequences.

:suspicious:

I won't argue with the small L part, but did you intentionally leave out the 'free-market' section or?????
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:13 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 am

:suspicious:

I won't argue with the small L part, but did you intentionally leave out the 'free-market' section or?????
What small l libertarian isn’t for the idea of a free market?

I figured that was self evident as you didn’t see a need to mention it in your post either. :suspicious: :lol:

I would make a strong educated guess that no one on this board has had to directly deal with over-regulatory conditions and directly compete against a government monopoly any more than I have.

I’m intimate with the sordid underbelly of Democratic fueled crony capitalism as well as it’s willing Republican accomplices. It’s all ugly.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

andy7171 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:01 am
I'm just happy to get mentioned. :lol: I guess it was the FB birthday wish that put me over.
No, it was the shit in the shower story that I'll never forget. :mrgreen:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 am

I’d feel kind of bad if I thought I was the only one here occasionally guilty of a wee bit of trolling.

The political center is squishy and labels are tricky. EG: I think monopolies are really bad and the protecting the environment should be a huge priority. I also order from Amazon and believe strongly in the preservation of property rights.

So who on that list of conservatives are the Trumpers that you have to talk "back from the ledge"?
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:21 am

No, it was the shit in the shower story that I'll never forget. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

For the record, I never shit in the shower. Showered in lieu for no TP and waffle stomped, but never dropped the deuce in it. That would be sick and disgusting!

:mrgreen:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 am
kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 am

So who on that list of conservatives are the Trumpers that you have to talk "back from the ledge"?
That was mostly a troll. I think there are few actual Trumpers here (BDK, maybe SG and AZ). But he does represent the conservative side of American politics just like Hillary represented the liberal side.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

This whole CRT debate demonstrates that education should not be a top-down project. It should remain under local control. School boards should give wide leeway about what is permitted to be taught in their districts. They should be very cautious about what is required to be taught, or how it is to be taught. And the same goes double or triple for politicians, who aren’t educators to begin with, and attempt to score cheap political points while doing real damage to school systems.
Last edited by Ivytalk on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

andy7171 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 am For the record, I never shit in the shower. Showered in lieu for no TP and waffle stomped, but never dropped the deuce in it. That would be sick and disgusting!
What the hell did you waffle stomp if you didn't deuce?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:30 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 am

That was mostly a troll. I think there are few actual Trumpers here (BDK, maybe SG and AZ). But he does represent the conservative side of American politics just like Hillary represented the liberal side.
Lol. If you think I’m a Trumper you haven’t been paying attention.

Reading is fundamental.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly

Post by andy7171 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:53 am
andy7171 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:27 am For the record, I never shit in the shower. Showered in lieu for no TP and waffle stomped, but never dropped the deuce in it. That would be sick and disgusting!
What the hell did you waffle stomp if you didn't deuce?
That which would have been gotten?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

:rofl: :rofl: That just shows you to be a decent fella. :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17