AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by AZGrizFan »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:31 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 am

There was more violence and intimidation at the anTIfa/BLM riots in 2020 than there was on January 6, 2021.
What riots were Antifa&BLM were associated with???
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:28 am

There was more violence and intimidation at the anTIfa/BLM riots in 2020 than there was on January 6, 2021.
They were not involved in the January 6th Riot.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 am Image

I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT. Which I don't understand b/c I'm pretty sure we all have learned about segregation, Jim Crow and how awful it was...maybe i'm missing something.

Perhaps we need a refresher?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:50 am I'm told that's the basic argument against CRT.
Told by liberals. Yes.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am

yes, because this country is so much worse than it was in 1957.
Spoiler: show
And if we are, we're looking squarely at YOU, Obama, to blame. You had the chance to completely erase any remaining racial divides in this country and instead you poured gasoline on a smoldering fire that was almost out.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:26 am

Agreed. So the plan is to separate the children by skin color and teach them. Right?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:Image

The problem is that the two sides cannot agree on what CRT is.

I learned about the civil rights movement in public school in the 1970s and 1980s in a North Carolina county which was one of the wealthiest in NC prior to the Civil War due to tobacco produced with slave labor. It is just basic history, and in most places it is now and has for some time been taught in schools.

However, CRT has some elements that go way beyond merely teaching the actual history and its ugliness. In some districts there is a push to not just teach the history but to also teach that skin color in this country is the determining factor of success or inclusion in this country, that racial victimhood is baked in and permanent based on race, and that radical steps must be taken to even the field.

Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I think we would see a lot less objection to teaching our racial history in schools if that is all that it is, but there is also some perpetual victim classism going on and I think that is what people are rejecting. That is what I reject. Young children do not need to be taught to view each other as victims or oppressors, but as equals in a free society that has its flaws and mechanisms for fixing those flaws.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Well said, CID. That’s exactly the point.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:48 am Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.
And therein lies the point. It's how people like klammy and analjelly get around the "it's being taught in schools" argument.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:48 am

I learned about the civil rights movement in public school in the 1970s and 1980s in a North Carolina county which was one of the wealthiest in NC prior to the Civil War due to tobacco produced with slave labor. It is just basic history, and in most places it is now and has for some time been taught in schools.

However, CRT has some elements that go way beyond merely teaching the actual history and its ugliness. In some districts there is a push to not just teach the history but to also teach that skin color in this country is the determining factor of success or inclusion in this country, that racial victimhood is baked in and permanent based on race, and that radical steps must be taken to even the field.

Now, maybe ^^^^ that is not CRT. If not, then it has been looped in under the moniker rightly or wrongly but that is beside the point. It IS being taught in colleges and universities, and it IS trickling down into public education. To simply say that it isn’t CRT, and therefore is not being taught in schools is akin to a reductio ad absurdum argument.

I think we would see a lot less objection to teaching our racial history in schools if that is all that it is, but there is also some perpetual victim classism going on and I think that is what people are rejecting. That is what I reject. Young children do not need to be taught to view each other as victims or oppressors, but as equals in a free society that has its flaws and mechanisms for fixing those flaws.

100% Thanks! I haven't followed this garbage that much so thank you for that.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

CID1990 wrote:

Exactly! Teach history, including Jim Crow from a factual perspective.

Do not expand to victim hood and classism.

Also teach about the civil rights and voting rights bills of the 1960’s and how they have helped to level the field, although it has been a slow process.

Many folks don’t realize how far we have come since the 1950’s when I was born in rural VA. That doesn’t mean that we are all the way there but are farther along than many think.

The goal should be MLKJr’s “son of former slaves walking hand in hand with daughters of former slave owners “ (I did not look up the quote so it may be off a bit).

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:14 am Image
Has the Ctrl-Left gone from denying that CRT is being taught in schools to arguing that teaching CRT is just teaching history?

Unfortunately, Critical Race Theory is is theoretical, it is NOT history and should not be taught as fact.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:Image
This is exactly what I said above and not surprising that you missed the point, klam

I learned about the slave trade in public school in rural NC in the 1970s- literally less than 10 years after those very schools were desegregated. Nobody ever objected to it, and nobody raised hell at school boards over it.

Teaching actual history, to my knowledge, is not what people who object to CRT are talking about. If you are aware of some mainstream objection to teaching the actual history of the West African - New World slave trade then feel free to post those.

Until then, your meme is just a classic example of the diversionary straw man argument being made by CRT proponents to distort the debate.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:48 am
This is exactly what I said above and not surprising that you missed the point, klam

I learned about the slave trade in public school in rural NC in the 1970s- literally less than 10 years after those very schools were desegregated. Nobody ever objected to it, and nobody raised hell at school boards over it.

Teaching actual history, to my knowledge, is not what people who object to CRT are talking about. If you are aware of some mainstream objection to teaching the actual history of the West African - New World slave trade then feel free to post those.

Until then, your meme is just a classic example of the diversionary straw man argument being made by CRT proponents to distort the debate.

I’m not sure you’re the intended target of this meme.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

These two ppl met in private If I were that black woman I would have said lets meet in public if you can run your mouth in the '60s then do it in the '90s!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

The state of Texas is responsible for the creation of writing the history books and they are trying to remove any knowledge of slavery from the aforementioned history books.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:54 pm
They were not involved in the January 6th Riot.
The Trump fan base says otherwise.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 am

Who is?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am
kalm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:02 am

Who is?
People who want to sweep history under the rug and/or feel shame and anger when confronted with other’s experiences and observations.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:03 am
Baldy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am
Who is?
People who want to sweep history under the rug and/or feel shame and anger when confronted with other’s experiences and observations.
That's an extremely small number, and I don't think it includes anyone on this forum.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Excellent post. The Leftist claim that "it's not being taught in schools" is based on that it is not word for word that is seen at the university level not being taught in the elementary/high school level. And yes, this victimhood BS that is looped in with CRT is abhorrent.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

dal4018 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:29 am

The state of Texas is responsible for the creation of writing the history books and they are trying to remove any knowledge of slavery from the aforementioned history books.
What in the actual fuck are you talking about?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
Baldy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:54 am Who is?
You just bull your way through when anyone points out that objections to CRT are not objections to teaching slavery.

It’s dishonest.

Where are the people who don’t want the history of slavery and segregation taught in schools?