Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:03 pm No I don't have evidence and to be honest I don't think it's being taught in it's entirety in a large number of schools. I do think that elements of it are being taught and that the object is not to help teach students how to think but to teach them what to think.

I also think that the crap that the Loudon County schools are pulling in trying to shield their curriculum from FOIA requests is enough to raise questions and justify concerns about CRT like teaching efforts.

But you don't want to talk about Loudon and FOIA requests, you're acting like JSO and BDK and trying to limit the focus of the discussion so you can feel like you won the debate.
What’s there to say about Loudoun? I agree it’s problematic. I’m not trying to win anything…just trying to figure out if it deserves all the attention and whether not the outcry is organic.
I don't know if the outcry is organic but I would say that the concern is much more valid and less hysterical than the screams that Trump was a facist. I don't remember you questioning that outcry.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:55 pm
kalm wrote:
What’s there to say about Loudoun? I agree it’s problematic. I’m not trying to win anything…just trying to figure out if it deserves all the attention and whether not the outcry is organic.
I don't know if the outcry is organic but I would say that the concern is much more valid and less hysterical than the screams that Trump was a facist. I don't remember you questioning that outcry.

He only questions things that go contrary to the anti-Leftist narrative.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

kalm wrote:

:?

Different issue entirely starting with Trump’s own words and actions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:15 pm

He only questions things that go contrary to the anti-Leftist narrative.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:39 am

But you can't point to any policy documents that show he was a facist.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:20 am
kalm wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:39 am

Policy documents are required to be considered a fascist?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:28 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:20 am
Curriculum documents are required to show something is being taught at schools?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:30 am

Nicely done, Hen. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:30 am

:tiptoe:

:mrgreen:
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

I would expect a Facist to rule by fiat, aka Executive Orders in our system.

Just wondering if that applies more to D Presidents or R Presidents.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:11 am :suspicious:
Adam Gabbatt
@adamgabbatt
Wed 17 Nov 2021 05.00 EST
Rightwing operatives in the US are using a huge network of fake local news sites to target crucial state elections, with the sites publishing tens of thousands of conservative-skewed articles on politically charged subjects, many of them misleading or wrong, over the past 11 months.

An investigation by Popular Information, an online newsletter founded by journalist Judd Legum, found that in Virginia 28 sites, each purporting to be local news outlets and all owned by the same company, published almost 5,000 articles about critical race theory in schools.

CRT is an academic discipline that examines the ways in which racism operates in US laws and society. It is not taught in Virginia schools. But the idea of CRT has become an inflammatory call to arms, or at least to the ballot box, among the right wing.

The Virginia sites published the articles, many of which addressed spurious Republican claims about CRT threatening to dominate school curriculums, as the gubernatorial race in the state loomed.

Glenn Youngkin, a Republican, triumphed over Terry McAuliffe in the 3 November election, after he exploited concerns over teaching about race and promised to ban CRT from classrooms.

The Virginia “local news” sites, which include the Central Virginia Times and the Fredericksburg Leader, are run by Metric Media, an organization that operates more than 1,300 “community news sites” across the US and is linked to Locality Labs, both of which are overseen by Brian Timpone.

In 2020 the New York Times revealed that the two companies, along with others involved in publishing the sites, “have received at least $1.7m from Republican political campaigns and conservative groups”. The Times reported that conservative organizations were able to “order” articles from news websites owned by Metric Media and its affiliates attacking Democratic political candidates.

Metric Media and Brian Timpone did not respond to requests for comment.

Between January and November 2021, the 28 Virginia Metric Media sites published 4,657 articles about critical race theory in schools, Popular Information found.

Many of those stories were automated, referencing an online pledge to “refuse to lie to young people about US history and current events” – described by Metric Media as a pledge by educators to teach CRT. But there is no evidence on the website for the pledge that the people who have signed it are teachers.

Signees must list their city and state, and Metric Media appears to use an automated system to generate articles based on whether anyone has signed from a town or city covered by a Metric Media news outlet.

That system enables the Central Shenandoah News, which theoretically covers the area in north-west of Virginia, to run regular articles based on the same source. Last week, it ran the following two pieces:

No new teachers in Harrisonburg sign pledge on Nov. 2 to teach Critical Race Theory

No new teachers in Harrisonburg sign pledge on Nov. 1 to teach Critical Race Theory

The Central Shenandoah News has run the same version of the Harrisonburg article since August, including almost daily since the beginning of October. It has also regurgitated the format for nearby Staunton
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... m1a1VYecwU
Oh noes :lol:

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Maher seems to be using some common sense most progressives don’t possess

https://hotair.com/ed-morrissey/2021/11 ... nt-n430095

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

My wife is a teacher, and as thus we have a lot of teacher friends. Curriculum is always a bit flexible and changing. When the 1619 project came out, there were handouts for educators on how to incorporate this into what they teach in the classroom (I don't recall anything coming out to correct the ahistorical things that got criticized in that piece). Same goes for something like "Stamped from the Beginning" - there was even a kids book for that just called "Stamped" so that the elementary set of kids could access that. I know that because my wife had the book and taught from the book, and I even read the original. There's no doubt that this stuff is being taught in some aspect, in some classrooms. To argue otherwise is being purposely obtuse.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:55 am My wife is a teacher, and as thus we have a lot of teacher friends. Curriculum is always a bit flexible and changing. When the 1619 project came out, there were handouts for educators on how to incorporate this into what they teach in the classroom (I don't recall anything coming out to correct the ahistorical things that got criticized in that piece). Same goes for something like "Stamped from the Beginning" - there was even a kids book for that just called "Stamped" so that the elementary set of kids could access that. I know that because my wife had the book and taught from the book, and I even read the original. There's no doubt that this stuff is being taught in some aspect, in some classrooms. To argue otherwise is being purposely obtuse.
:nod:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:24 am Maher seems to be using some common sense most progressives don’t possess

From the piece ...
Is there racism in America? Sure, Maher says, and its history should be taught. But to claim that everything in America is racist is “just nuts,” and parents should be objecting when schools teach it — whether they call it CRT or not:
I think, I remember what my education was, with American history. We learned about the Civil War. I mean, they mentioned racism. We understood slavery and Lincoln and blah, blah, blah. But they didn’t really go into it any more than “Gone with the Wind” goes into it. It was there but you didn’t feel it, this really. Now we’re doing that, and I think that’s a good thing. People should understand that.

That’s different than teaching that racism is the essence of America. That’s what people get upset about, or involving children, who are probably not old enough, or sophisticated enough, to understand this very complicated issue, with a very complicated history.
But I did a thing one night about progressophobia, which is a term Steven Pinker called – termed – coined, which means somehow liberals got afraid to acknowledge progress. It’s two thoughts in your head at the same time. You can acknowledge that we have made great progress, on all the social issues, and yet, there is still more work to be done. We’re not saying “Mission accomplished.” We’re just saying, “Let’s live in the year we’re living in.”
So much truth in there.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:09 am
CID1990 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:24 am Maher seems to be using some common sense most progressives don’t possess

From the piece ...
Is there racism in America? Sure, Maher says, and its history should be taught. But to claim that everything in America is racist is “just nuts,” and parents should be objecting when schools teach it — whether they call it CRT or not:
I think, I remember what my education was, with American history. We learned about the Civil War. I mean, they mentioned racism. We understood slavery and Lincoln and blah, blah, blah. But they didn’t really go into it any more than “Gone with the Wind” goes into it. It was there but you didn’t feel it, this really. Now we’re doing that, and I think that’s a good thing. People should understand that.

That’s different than teaching that racism is the essence of America. That’s what people get upset about, or involving children, who are probably not old enough, or sophisticated enough, to understand this very complicated issue, with a very complicated history.
But I did a thing one night about progressophobia, which is a term Steven Pinker called – termed – coined, which means somehow liberals got afraid to acknowledge progress. It’s two thoughts in your head at the same time. You can acknowledge that we have made great progress, on all the social issues, and yet, there is still more work to be done. We’re not saying “Mission accomplished.” We’re just saying, “Let’s live in the year we’re living in.”
So much truth in there.
:nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:55 am My wife is a teacher, and as thus we have a lot of teacher friends. Curriculum is always a bit flexible and changing. When the 1619 project came out, there were handouts for educators on how to incorporate this into what they teach in the classroom (I don't recall anything coming out to correct the ahistorical things that got criticized in that piece). Same goes for something like "Stamped from the Beginning" - there was even a kids book for that just called "Stamped" so that the elementary set of kids could access that. I know that because my wife had the book and taught from the book, and I even read the original. There's no doubt that this stuff is being taught in some aspect, in some classrooms. To argue otherwise is being purposely obtuse.
you just described klammy. Kind of like his take on Antifa. :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:09 am But I did a thing one night about progressophobia, which is a term Steven Pinker called – termed – coined, which means somehow liberals got afraid to acknowledge progress. It’s two thoughts in your head at the same time.
Kinda funny that he said that in the same interview where he said "phobia" is an overused term...
I was speaking recently about phobia. That's a word that's traveled quite a bit from its original meaning, a lot of mission creep on that word. Phobia, it's become really just a way people - a word they use to say, "I don't like something."
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:36 am
Not an indoctrination class at all...nyet.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:

Trump IS effectively a fascist. He may not be bright enough to recognize himself as such or even know what fascism is. But he effectively is a fascist. That's the risk he represents.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Baldy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:50 pm
89Hen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:36 am
Hey man, it is the truth. Are you really going to argue about what happened? Are you going to argue that there wasn't slavery? Are you going to argue that there wasn't genocide? It happened. The first thing people need to do with respect to discussing this thing is to stop being put off by the truth.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:19 pm
Baldy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:50 pm
Hey man, it is the truth. Are you really going to argue about what happened? Are you going to argue that there wasn't slavery? Are you going to argue that there wasn't genocide? It happened. The first thing people need to do with respect to discussing this thing is to stop being put off by the truth.
This idiotic shit above ↑↑↑↑↑ is what happens when you have brain worms.

Look at the posters on the wall you goddamn retard...FUCK the POLICE...FUCK AMERIKKKA.

High schools are full of highly impressionable kids with brains of mush. These posters and the 'educators' who put them on the wall are teaching these children to hate the police and hate their country. Do you honestly think that's OK?
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Trump IS effectively a fascist. He may not be bright enough to recognize himself as such or even know what fascism is. But he effectively is a fascist. That's the risk he represents.
No he isn't. You're obviously the one who doesn't know what fascism is.

Trump is a lot of horrible things, but a fascist isn't one.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:52 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:13 pm

No he isn't. You're obviously the one who doesn't know what fascism is.

Trump is a lot of horrible things, but a fascist isn't one.
:lol: