kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

We’re as Good as Ghana!

Post by kalm »

MAGA.
Sovereign risk is typically the domain of people on Wall Street, Multinational corporates, & those in business schools. Most Americans don't think much about our own sovereign risk because the United States has been where others go to escape it. We have been the reserve currency.

We pay lower interest rates on our debts (both governmental and personal) because our nation has been the lender of last resort and the world's reserve currency.

Because of my experiences working around the world dealing with non-democratic states,I have on occasion been retained to go into countries for clients to assess political risk before they invest. Typically, they want to know if government changes will put their investments at risk to the changing domestic tides.

Today, our political culture has far more in common with places like Hungry, Haiti, Senegal, or Thailand than with countries like Germany, Canada, or the United Kingdom. We now rank 57th Globally in terms of how our politics is played.

If you think, well, this is just a bunch of Europeans judging us, ask yourself -- do Canadian chant "lock them up" to political opponents? Do Brits storm the houses of parliament to overturn elections?

Do Japanese who feel they can't trust the police take to the streets and burn police precincts? Unfortunately, those things do happen in the places which are now our peers.

The bottom line is that all of those are places where people like me get retained to do sovereign political risk assessments. Today, if I were asked to do such an assessment in the United States, I would conclude a level of political risk that has never been present before.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1417 ... YNPgX8UIwc
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: We’re as Good as Ghana!

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:39 am MAGA.
Sovereign risk is typically the domain of people on Wall Street, Multinational corporates, & those in business schools. Most Americans don't think much about our own sovereign risk because the United States has been where others go to escape it. We have been the reserve currency.

We pay lower interest rates on our debts (both governmental and personal) because our nation has been the lender of last resort and the world's reserve currency.

Because of my experiences working around the world dealing with non-democratic states,I have on occasion been retained to go into countries for clients to assess political risk before they invest. Typically, they want to know if government changes will put their investments at risk to the changing domestic tides.

Today, our political culture has far more in common with places like Hungry, Haiti, Senegal, or Thailand than with countries like Germany, Canada, or the United Kingdom. We now rank 57th Globally in terms of how our politics is played.

If you think, well, this is just a bunch of Europeans judging us, ask yourself -- do Canadian chant "lock them up" to political opponents? Do Brits storm the houses of parliament to overturn elections?

Do Japanese who feel they can't trust the police take to the streets and burn police precincts? Unfortunately, those things do happen in the places which are now our peers.

The bottom line is that all of those are places where people like me get retained to do sovereign political risk assessments. Today, if I were asked to do such an assessment in the United States, I would conclude a level of political risk that has never been present before.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah. MAGA. :dunce: :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Were your pants around your ankles reading that one Cleets, I mean, kalm?
The lagging indicator, & more troublesome, is the EIU's conclusions about the decline in our political culture. Since Donald Trump's arrival on the political scene, it has fallen off a ledge.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

MAGA? This criticism goes beyond MAGA. MAGAts aren't storming police precincts and courthouses.

Trump might have brought it to a head but the decline started long before Trump. Democrats obstructed, criticized and mocked Trump. Republicans obstructed, criticized and mocked Obama. Democrats obstructed, criticized and mocked Dubya.

Trump and the MAGAts are not the cause of the affliction. They are a symptom.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Lazy wishful thinking, to coin a phrase. :roll: Do you actually read these dumbass links before you post them, Klam? :ohno:

And I didn’t know Hungry was a country. I thought it was a food deficit symptom. Anyway, shows you what a detail man Trygve Olson is. :lol:
Last edited by Ivytalk on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

How does one abolish profit? Do these dumb-dumbs actually believe humans/corporations/governments are actually capable of altruism?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Kalmy gets so busy blurring the lines of appeasement, mollycoddling and general wishy-washyness that he forgets which side he intends to "GOTCHA"
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:18 am

MAGA? This criticism goes beyond MAGA. MAGAts aren't storming police precincts and courthouses.

Trump might have brought it to a head but the decline started long before Trump. Democrats obstructed, criticized and mocked Trump. Republicans obstructed, criticized and mocked Obama. Democrats obstructed, criticized and mocked Dubya.

All I want is to Make America Great Again...and all hell breaks loose. :lol:

But you raise some fair points. This thread has potential...
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:20 am Kalmy gets so busy blurring the lines of appeasement, mollycoddling and general wishy-washyness that he forgets which side he intends to "GOTCHA"
Appeasement?

Mollycoddling???

You’re always my #1 trophy, Andy!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 am How does one abolish profit? Do these dumb-dumbs actually believe humans/corporations/governments are actually capable of altruism?
I must have missed where the author suggested abolishing profit.

Humans are capable of altruism. I’d like to think that you, are altruistic.

What use is a corporation or government if they are not altruistic?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:03 am How does one abolish profit? Do these dumb-dumbs actually believe humans/corporations/governments are actually capable of altruism?

Most capable of altruism in order:
1) Humans
2) Corporations
3) Governments

:coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm

There's a sign above to abolish profit.

There are random acts of altruism, I'll give you that. But I was saying overall - we are a selfish people. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

kalm wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:53 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:18 am

All I want is to Make America Great Again...and all hell breaks loose. :lol:

But you raise some fair points. This thread has potential...
Make America Ghana Again?
:thumb:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

"I was going to build a plant in America, but I'm afraid a bunch of MAGA men might burn it down."

-No one ever
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Pwns wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:57 pm "I was going to build a plant in America, but I'm afraid a bunch of MAGA men might burn it down."

-No one ever
I used to make good money picking fruit until all them eelegals showed up :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

houndawg wrote:
Pwns wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:57 pm "I was going to build a plant in America, but I'm afraid a bunch of MAGA men might burn it down."

-No one ever
I used to make good money picking fruit until all them eelegals showed up :coffee:
Maybe you shouldnt have quit your job bushhogging the interstate median

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:09 pm
houndawg wrote:

Bushhoggi. Wasn’t he that journalist that was murdered by Saudi thugs? 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:58 am

Bushhoggi. Wasn’t he that journalist that was murdered by Saudi thugs? 8-)
:rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

houndawg wrote:

I'd never have quit a sweet deal like that. Those guys make a living wage
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote:

* brushhogging