"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Miami Apartment Building Collapse

Post by Pwns »

I keep thinking of the Sampoong Department Store collapse...lots of people missing for a while, few made it out, though one woman famously survived under rubble for weeks.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Official death toll at 9 as of this morning. Still 150+ missing.
I‘m thinkibg the death toll could hit over 150.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:Official death toll at 9 as of this morning. Still 150+ missing.
I‘m thinkibg the death toll could hit over 150.
Yeah there were at least a few mistresses in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

An engineer warned in October 2018 that he had discovered “major structural damage” to a concrete slab below the pool deck in the section of the Champlain Towers South condominium building that collapsed Thursday, killing at least four and leaving scores trapped, according to records released by local authorities late Friday.

The engineer, Frank P. Morabito, said in a structural survey report that waterproofing below the pool deck and entrance drive had failed, allowing damaging leaks.

“Failure to replace the waterproofing in the near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially,” Morabito wrote. He said a “major error” had been made in the construction of the building when waterproofing was laid on a flat slab rather than on a sloped surface to allow water to run off.

His firm, Morabito Consultants, said in a statement Saturday that the damage he found “required repairs to ensure the safety of residents and the public” but that the repairs had not been started when the collapse occurred….

….Morabito said in his inspection report that he also found “abundant cracking” and deterioration in the concrete columns, beams and walls supporting the parking garage under the pool deck, along with damaged and exposed rebar..

The report said that the necessary repair work, which would be aimed at “maintaining the structural integrity” of the building, would be “extremely expensive” and would create significant disruption for residents.

According to the consulting firm’s statement, after the firm gave the condominium association an estimate of costs for the repairs, about 18 months elapsed before the association hired the firm to prepare detailed repair plans. An 84-page draft of the plans from April this year also was released by Surfside.

Previous repairs to the slab supporting the pool above the garage, including the patching of cracks, had been done “less than satisfactorily” and needed to be completed again, according to Morabito’s inspection report.

Other problems detailed in the report included “significant cracking” in the stucco facade of the building, flooding in some apartments because of failed seals on doors and windows, and damaged balconies.…

…. A separate inspection report on the building by Morabito, completed around the same time as the structural survey report, was also released by the town of Surfside, along with a note that said: “This report was not formally submitted or authorized by the property owner Champlain Towers South Condominium Association, Inc., as required by Section 8-11(f)(iv) of the Miami-Dade County Code.”

It is unclear why Morabito did not submit the 2018 report to the city until 5:35 p.m. Thursday, after the collapse. Morabito did not return calls, and his firm’s statement did not directly address the issue. Neither the town nor condo association responded to requests for clarification.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

So close to 3 yrs and nothing was done…and now no-one involved wants to say anything..
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:26 pm...I'd bet almost anything there were warnings of a failure that were either missed, misunderstood, or ignored. Even if a sinkhole was forming, signs would have developed ahead of time.
So I guess emerging evidence is beginning to point to "ignored."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 pm Shocker.
https://nypost.com/2021/06/27/developer ... officials/
:shock: Are you telling me that Real Estate developers bribe officials!?!!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:57 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:50 pm

lol. The mayor already blamed rising sea levels. :rofl:
A veritable King Canute!
:lol: :lol: :lol: "...how worthless is the power of Kings." :lol:

Great story of how we are all at the whims of God and nature.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:22 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 pm Shocker.
https://nypost.com/2021/06/27/developer ... officials/
I think you'd be...not shocked... how in some jurisdictions *cough*most of Florida*cough* you don't need to have a technical background (architect, engineering, etc.) to become a code reviewer or inspector. I've had some pretty asinine conversations with "officials" who have codes memorized because that's what it takes to get certified, but don't really have a meaningful understanding how to interpret them correctly. No idea if that's the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It's kinda amazing that we have fairly strict engineering and construction standards nationwide, but code enforcement and review can vary so much based on local jurisdictions. One of my ex-coworkers went from an Interior Designer to a code official somewhere in Maryland.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:42 am

I think you'd be...not shocked... how in some jurisdictions *cough*most of Florida*cough* you don't need to have a technical background (architect, engineering, etc.) to become a code reviewer or inspector. I've had some pretty asinine conversations with "officials" who have codes memorized because that's what it takes to get certified, but don't really have a meaningful understanding how to interpret them correctly. No idea if that's the case here, but it wouldn't surprise me.

It's kinda amazing that we have fairly strict engineering and construction standards nationwide, but code enforcement and review can vary so much based on local jurisdictions. One of my ex-coworkers went from an Interior Designer to a code official somewhere in Maryland.
And in NYC, if you ain’t mob, you ain’t getting the job.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SC requires passing of a test.

But if your barber wants to shave with a straight blade, you need to apprentice for 2 years. :roll:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:50 am

Exactly...hey wait a minute! You have to pay to play...

Wait a tic....are you suggesting that President Trump has mob ties? :o :shock:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

From experience, while New York (at least NYC) has a larger bureaucratic machine, their officials are generally on top of things and more educated compared to the jurisdictions I've worked with in Florida (FL is the third most state I've done work in, behind my area and New York). They get back to you quicker, know their stuff better, and are not afraid to shut things down for even minor safety issues.

I think the fact that you hear about more corruption in NYC and large metro regions is that it's actually caught and prosecuted instead of ignored. Fact is there's corruption everywhere, but I trust large bureaucratic machines to catch and prevent corruption/cheating more than places where there's less government and small towns where everyone knows each other.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:06 am

From experience, while New York (at least NYC) has a larger bureaucratic machine, their officials are generally on top of things and more educated compared to the jurisdictions I've worked with in Florida (FL is the third most state I've done work in, behind my area and New York).

I think the fact that you hear about more corruption in NYC and large metro regions is that it's actually caught and prosecuted instead of ignored. Fact is there's corruption everywhere, but I trust large bureaucratic machines to catch corruption/cheating more than places where there's less government and small towns where everyone knows everyone.
Not in the 70s and 80s. You couldn't build, renovated, demo w/o the Mob.
Organized crime controls 75 percent of the construction industry in New York City through its control over the concrete industry and construction unions, an admitted mob captain told Senators today.

Vincent (Fish) Cafaro, a former captain in the Genovese organized-crime family in New York, told the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations that the Mafia rigged contracting bids in the city by demanding a 2 percent kickback from winning bidders and their unions.

''Legitimate guys ain't got a chance,'' he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/30/nyre ... icted.html
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I mean we're 40-50 years out from the 70s and 80s, but NYC's rich history is remarkable to read about... leading up to the financial crisis and it's recovery afterwards.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:16 am I mean we're 40-50 years out from the 70s and 80s, but NYC's rich history is remarkable to read about... leading up to the financial crisis and it's recovery afterwards.
Those buildings are still standing and some of the people behind them are still around...
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:53 am

SC requires passing of a test.

But if your barber wants to shave with a straight blade, you need to apprentice for 2 years. :roll:
Maybe SC needs to license building inspectors?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:16 am I mean we're 40-50 years out from the 70s and 80s, but NYC's rich history is remarkable to read about... leading up to the financial crisis and it's recovery afterwards.
Those buildings are still standing and some of the people behind them are still around...
Including the guy who lost the 2020 presidential election.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Baldy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:38 pm You know it's coming. Have they started blaming DeSantis yet? Climate Change???
Saw a couple tweets but it was quickly debunked. DeSantis signed emergency bill an hour after the local gov signed theirs. I think the leftist narrative was pinning a too slow of a reaction on DeSantis as to why FEMA took too long to get there...

...of course once it was pointed out that FEMA doesn't serve a first responder role that narrative quickly imploded. Go figure.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:
Baldy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:38 pm You know it's coming. Have they started blaming DeSantis yet? Climate Change???
Saw a couple tweets but it was quickly debunked. DeSantis signed emergency bill an hour after the local gov signed theirs. I think the leftist narrative was pinning a too slow of a reaction on DeSantis as to why FEMA took too long to get there...

...of course once it was pointed out that FEMA doesn't serve a first responder role that narrative quickly imploded. Go figure.
The left and their media lapdogs fear DeSantis.

They see the writing on the wall and it isn’t pretty

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:53 pm
SDHornet wrote:

The left and their media lapdogs fear DeSantis.

They see the writing on the wall and it isn’t pretty

:nod: :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Thank God the local governments and Biden wants to build more high rises.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:49 pm Thank God the local governments and Biden wants to build more high rises.
a.k.a. "projects" :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:08 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:49 pm Thank God the local governments and Biden wants to build more high rises.
a.k.a. "projects" :coffee:
What’s the alternative?