Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Bullish or Bearish on America?

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:36 am
Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:28 am
Are all the fancy charts and graphs proving just how wrong you are too difficult to understand?
Your graphs don't mention anything about the DOE budget being about 10% of the DOD budget. Speaking of graphs showing just how wrong you are. :coffee:

Baldy :ohno:
Is our funding of the educational system in America done primarily or exclusively through the federal department??? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:23 am
Baldy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 am
Only a confirmed dumbass would think the US "starves" education in favor of military spending. :roll:

You're seriously offering that gibberish as some sort of proof.......of something? Where's the graph that shows the budget for the DOE is about 10% of the DOD budget? :coffee:
Comparing the DOE budget to the DOD budget is only something someone clueless about education spending, such as yourself, would suggest :lol: . Newsflash, most education spending is at the local and state level.

Frankly, the graph for the DOE should be 0% of the budget of the DOD, as education is a local and state matter, not a federal one.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Your graphs don't mention anything about the DOE budget being about 10% of the DOD budget. Speaking of graphs showing just how wrong you are. :coffee:

Is our funding of the educational system in America done primarily or exclusively through the federal department??? :coffee:
That’s too difficult for him to grasp…
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:22 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:18 pm

You're just upset that they've grouped you in the grumpy old cis-male category with 89 ... ;)
Maybe the LP should change their name GOC-M Party. Clearly a group without an identity.

:mrgreen:
The national LP is falling apart as we speak. Devouring itself with silly factional disputes. A number of states, including DE, are experiencing the same thing. Oh, well, we have an official Mandalorian Party now! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:46 am

And again, WHY is our DOD budget so bloated? :coffee: :coffee:
OOH! OOH! MR. AZ!!! OOH! OOH! I KNOW THE ANSWER!!!!

Because the DoD budget is a jobs bill. The DoD is the nations largest employer. It's easy money to millions of people and hundreds of companies. The DOD budget is so bloated b/c even though we don't need tanks, we're still building them (Jobs Bill). The DoD Budget is so bloated that even though we have the F/35...each branch gets its own variant instead of a plane that pretty much does the same exact thing
Spoiler: show
(before someone brings it up - I get that there are different applications / jobs required of each branch. It doesn't excuse the fact that every branch wants it's own personalized plane so it feels special.)
It's so bloated b/c Politicians who vote against the DoD are 'Un-American" and aren't about to put themselves in a position to be seen as weak on defense / security. It's because there's a revolving door between the private sector and the Gov't.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I think this proposal is worth a read and some consideration. Nothing is perfect but it's an interesting idea....
https://reason.org/policy-brief/student ... icymakers/
To address these problems, states should move away from antiquated education funding models by adopting student-centered funding, which has several key advantages.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:28 am

Because the DoD budget is a jobs bill. The DoD is the nations largest employer. It's easy money to millions of people and hundreds of companies. The DOD budget is so bloated b/c even though we don't need tanks, we're still building them (Jobs Bill). The DoD Budget is so bloated that even though we have the F/35...each branch gets its own variant instead of a plane that pretty much does the same exact thing
(before someone brings it up - I get that there are different applications / jobs required of each branch. It doesn't excuse the fact that every branch wants it's own personalized plane so it feels special.)
It's so bloated b/c Politicians who vote against the DoD are 'Un-American" and aren't about to put themselves in a position to be seen as weak on defense / security. It's because there's a revolving door between the private sector and the Gov't.
:nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Half the answer. Half credit.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:20 am

:lol: What half did I forget to mention - us being the the worlds Policeman?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:22 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:20 am

:tothehand: Too late. You've already turned in the test. :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:26 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:22 am
Don't start your car tonight, AZ. :D
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:32 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:26 am

Don't start your car tonight, AZ. :D
Don't worry. I have a driver. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Baldy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:53 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:42 am It sounds like you're judging people on the Left based on their group identity and not valuing or respecting who they are as an individual.
:lol:
Same.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:54 am

I think this proposal is worth a read and some consideration. Nothing is perfect but it's an interesting idea....
To address these problems, states should move away from antiquated education funding models by adopting student-centered funding, which has several key advantages.
Isn't that basically the school choice model on a large scale? Dollars follow the student whichever school they choose? I'm not convinced that school choice like that, on a large scale, would be much better than what we have now.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 am

Isn't that basically the school choice model on a large scale? Dollars follow the student whichever school they choose? I'm not convinced that school choice like that, on a large scale, would be much better than what we have now.
It is similiar. Like I said - not perfect but we can take what is working in some large and small states and customize it for SC or PA.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:53 am

It is similiar. Like I said - not perfect but we can take what is working in some large and small states and customize it for SC or PA.
I just wonder how you avoid the stratification of schools then - you're going to have the magnet schools be fantastic, and the rest of the schools are going to suffer. Best students and best teachers will gravitate towards the magnets. Maybe we need to be there and maybe this is the shift in education that's more like the rest of the world (test kids at or during high school, the best move on, the rest figure out something else to do), and maybe we need to rethink what is the value of college anyway (many jobs requiring a college education today really don't require a college education), but these are all pretty heady questions.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Iowa already has funding based on enrollment and property wealth makes no difference. A property poor district gets the same dollars per student as a property rich district. This year the legislature gave some additional options to parents in shitty districts.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 am

Iowa already has funding based on enrollment and property wealth makes no difference. A property poor district gets the same dollars per student as a property rich district. This year the legislature gave some additional options to parents in shitty districts.
same way AZ does it.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

This is the way.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:16 pm

This is the way.
How do teacher contracts work in those instances? Do teachers state-wide get the same contract or are they contracted by the district?

How are parent groups (like the PTA or Home and School groups) handled? At least where I live those are independent sources of funding and obviously richer places tend to get more of it.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:44 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:16 pm

This is the way.
How do teacher contracts work in those instances? Do teachers state-wide get the same contract or are they contracted by the district?

How are parent groups (like the PTA or Home and School groups) handled? At least where I live those are independent sources of funding and obviously richer places tend to get more of it.
All teacher contracts are negotiated by each individual school district. So a school with a higher enrollment generally can afford to pay more because fixed/administrative costs can be spread over more kids which frees up dollars to pay teachers more. Money from PTA type groups is miscellaneous income that can go for extras but I don't know of any school district in the state that is getting massive amounts of money for things like operations. Most fundraising dollars go for athletics.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:01 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:44 pm

All teacher contracts are negotiated by each individual school district. So a school with a higher enrollment generally can afford to pay more because fixed/administrative costs can be spread over more kids which frees up dollars to pay teachers more. Money from PTA type groups is miscellaneous income that can go for extras but I don't know of any school district in the state that is getting massive amounts of money for things like operations. Most fundraising dollars go for athletics.
Seems straight forward. Negotiations on a District by District would seem to benefit all involved.

On a somewhat related note:
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:38 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Seems straight forward. Negotiations on a District by District would seem to benefit all involved.

Hey SD, It hasn't been said yet but quoting a "tweet" isn't a legitimate source and a laughable way to make a point. You do it like it's proof of something. If you want to make a point, use a legitimate source so we can check the validity of the information. Otherwise, it's just repeating what someone else said.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

bobbythekidd wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:48 pm
SDHornet wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Hey SD, It hasn't been said yet but quoting a "tweet" isn't a legitimate source and a laughable way to make a point. You do it like it's proof of something. If you want to make a point, use a legitimate source so we can check the validity of the information. Otherwise, it's just repeating what someone else said.
So, basically, just like the media. :lol: :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:53 pm
bobbythekidd wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:48 pm

So, basically, just like much of the media. :lol: :lol:
FIFY.