Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Taxes are for sucks

Post by kalm »

Why would any 1%’er want a flat tax or care about the national debt when the current system is so damn equitable ( :mrgreen: ) ?
In 2007, Jeff Bezos, then a multibillionaire and now the world’s richest man, did not pay a penny in federal income taxes. He achieved the feat again in 2011. In 2018, Tesla founder Elon Musk, the second-richest person in the world, also paid no federal income taxes.

Michael Bloomberg managed to do the same in recent years. Billionaire investor Carl Icahn did it twice. George Soros paid no federal income tax three years in a row.

ProPublica has obtained a vast trove of Internal Revenue Service data on the tax returns of thousands of the nation’s wealthiest people, covering more than 15 years. The data provides an unprecedented look inside the financial lives of America’s titans, including Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Rupert Murdoch and Mark Zuckerberg. It shows not just their income and taxes, but also their investments, stock trades, gambling winnings and even the results of audits.

To capture the financial reality of the richest Americans, ProPublica undertook an analysis that has never been done before. We compared how much in taxes the 25 richest Americans paid each year to how much Forbes estimated their wealth grew in that same time period.

We’re going to call this their true tax rate.

The results are stark. According to Forbes, those 25 people saw their worth rise a collective $401 billion from 2014 to 2018. They paid a total of $13.6 billion in federal income taxes in those five years, the IRS data shows. That’s a staggering sum, but it amounts to a true tax rate of only 3.4%.

It’s a completely different picture for middle-class Americans, for example, wage earners in their early 40s who have amassed a typical amount of wealth for people their age. From 2014 to 2018, such households saw their net worth expand by about $65,000 after taxes on average, mostly due to the rise in value of their homes. But because the vast bulk of their earnings were salaries, their tax bills were almost as much, nearly $62,000, over that five-year period
https://www.propublica.org/article/the- ... income-tax
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Taxes are for sucks

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:42 am Why would any 1%’er want a flat tax or care about the national debt when the current system is so damn equitable ( :mrgreen: ) ?
In 2007, Jeff Bezos, then a multibillionaire and now the world’s richest man, did not pay a penny in federal income taxes. He achieved the feat again in 2011. In 2018, Tesla founder Elon Musk, the second-richest person in the world, also paid no federal income taxes.

Michael Bloomberg managed to do the same in recent years. Billionaire investor Carl Icahn did it twice. George Soros paid no federal income tax three years in a row.

ProPublica has obtained a vast trove of Internal Revenue Service data on the tax returns of thousands of the nation’s wealthiest people, covering more than 15 years. The data provides an unprecedented look inside the financial lives of America’s titans, including Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Rupert Murdoch and Mark Zuckerberg. It shows not just their income and taxes, but also their investments, stock trades, gambling winnings and even the results of audits.

To capture the financial reality of the richest Americans, ProPublica undertook an analysis that has never been done before. We compared how much in taxes the 25 richest Americans paid each year to how much Forbes estimated their wealth grew in that same time period.

The results are stark. According to Forbes, those 25 people saw their worth rise a collective $401 billion from 2014 to 2018. They paid a total of $13.6 billion in federal income taxes in those five years, the IRS data shows. That’s a staggering sum, but it amounts to a true tax rate of only 3.4%.

It’s a completely different picture for middle-class Americans, for example, wage earners in their early 40s who have amassed a typical amount of wealth for people their age. From 2014 to 2018, such households saw their net worth expand by about $65,000 after taxes on average, mostly due to the rise in value of their homes. But because the vast bulk of their earnings were salaries, their tax bills were almost as much, nearly $62,000, over that five-year period
Thanks for pointing out what we all know- the IRS is a criminal, rogue organization, violating their own rules and US law by illegally releasing the tax data of US citizens. Even uber rich liberal Americans have a right to privacy…
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:34 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:42 am Why would any 1%’er want a flat tax or care about the national debt when the current system is so damn equitable ( :mrgreen: ) ?

Thanks for pointing out what we all know- the IRS is a criminal, rogue organization, violating their own rules and US law by illegally releasing the tax data of US citizens. Even uber rich liberal Americans have a right to privacy…
Agree on the IRS but whistleblowers serve an important purpose sometimes.

Cant both be true?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:37 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Cant both be true?
What was important here? That income taxes only tax *gulp* income? It's not like ProPublica was reporting on the Watergate break-in or something. We already know all of this - wealth isn't taxed directly. Income is taxed, but unrealized capital gains aren't income. Is water still wet? Is the Pope still Catholic? There are lots of other grounndbreakingly obvious things ProPublica could be reporting on.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:52 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:37 pm

Cant both be true?
What was important here? That income taxes only tax *gulp* income? It's not like ProPublica was reporting on the Watergate break-in or something. We already know all of this - wealth isn't taxed directly. Income is taxed, but unrealized capital gains aren't income. Is water still wet? Is the Pope still Catholic? There are lots of other groundbreakingly obvious things ProPublica could be reporting on.
:nod:

Was the person or persons who provided this information to ProPublica a whistleblower? Definition of whistleblower - a person who informs on a person or organization engaged in an illicit activity. Did these wealthy individuals do anything illicit? Or did they take advantage of existing tax loopholes?

Who really thinks that the answer is to raise taxes? The uber-wealthy will continue to find and take advantage of loopholes and the people who can't afford an army of accountants and tax attorneys will pay the higher taxes. Remove loopholes, simplify the tax system.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm Or did they take advantage of existing tax loopholes?
Not really picking on you 88 but I think this actually is part of the problem. People calling them loopholes makes it sound like they actually are doing something elicit. They are following the tax rules. It would be like calling a flea flicker for a TD a scoring loophole.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Kalm loves a wealth tax so much he had to start a 2nd thread on the propublica leak. :lol:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:00 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm Or did they take advantage of existing tax loopholes?
Not really picking on you 88 but I think this actually is part of the problem. People calling them loopholes makes it sound like they actually are doing something elicit. They are following the tax rules. It would be like calling a flea flicker for a TD a scoring loophole.
This isn't picking on me because it's a valid point. I would imagine that the tax code is filled with legal loopholes that most don't have the resources or income levels to take advantage of.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:09 pm Kalm loves a wealth tax so much he had to start a 2nd thread on the propublica leak. :lol:
Dementia: When you can’t remember that you started a thread on the exact same thing the week prior…. :rofl:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:31 pm

This isn't picking on me because it's a valid point. I would imagine that the tax code is filled with legal loopholes that most don't have the resources or income levels to take advantage of.
They can't take advantage because they can't find them, or because they don't have that type of assets/income? If you follow the tax code, you are not using a loophole. You are following the code.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Illicit.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Illicit.
I was talking about electronic versions. ;) :oops:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Illicit.
89 is such a goody-two-shoes that he can't even type the word illicit. :D
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:21 pm

Illicit.
89 is such a goody-two-shoes that he can't even type the word illicit. :D
:lol: So the strange thing is I typed ilicit and it corrected to elicit. But in fairness, I didn't know how to spell it.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

Getting back on track, my dad payed 12.5% of his 1.5mil income in 2020. I payed 29% of my, much lower income, in taxes.

Make that make sense.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

This is only news if they all did something illegal. If not, then people should kindly fuck off.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:39 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:09 pm Kalm loves a wealth tax so much he had to start a 2nd thread on the propublica leak. :lol:
Dementia: When you can’t remember that you started a thread on the exact same thing the week prior…. :rofl:
Did I? That’s awesome! :lol:

And I suppose I technically do have occasional dementia symptoms caused by my hepatic encephalopathy. Thanks for the crutch! :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:31 pm

This is one of the big takeaways IMO. :nod:

And it’s not as if our tax structure isn’t heavily lobbied for.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:45 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:39 pm

And I suppose I technically do have occasional dementia symptoms caused by my hepatic encephalopathy. Thanks for the crutch! :lol:
You’re a wreck. :ohno: :ohno: :kisswink:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:21 am
kalm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:45 am

Look at it this way. At least now you may have a chance arguing against me...from time to time. :clap:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:24 pm

Look at it this way. At least now you may have a chance arguing against me...from time to time. :clap:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rube. :coffee: :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Now you just sound like that effete western Washingtonian snob, Chizzang.

:roll:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Who?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:15 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Who?
Exactly.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:52 pm

What was important here? That income taxes only tax *gulp* income? It's not like ProPublica was reporting on the Watergate break-in or something. We already know all of this - wealth isn't taxed directly. Income is taxed, but unrealized capital gains aren't income. Is water still wet? Is the Pope still Catholic? There are lots of other groundbreakingly obvious things ProPublica could be reporting on.
:nod:

Was the person or persons who provided this information to ProPublica a whistleblower? Definition of whistleblower - a person who informs on a person or organization engaged in an illicit activity. Did these wealthy individuals do anything illicit? Or did they take advantage of existing tax loopholes?

Who really thinks that the answer is to raise taxes? The uber-wealthy will continue to find and take advantage of loopholes and the people who can't afford an army of accountants and tax attorneys will pay the higher taxes. Remove loopholes, simplify the tax system.
Not me. I'm for deporting them to someplace where they have the opportunity to pull their weight.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky