Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

2021 SCOTUS Rulings

Post by BDKJMU »

Rules 9-0 against TPS who entered the U.S. illegally, ruling they are not eligible to apply for a green card to remain in the U.S. permanently, even if granted asylum.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supre ... NewsSearch
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Re: 2021 SCOTUS Rulings

Post by BDKJMU »

Punts on including women in the draft
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... e-congress
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

And sided 9-0 in "favor of a Catholic organization that argued its religious rights were violated when it was excluded from a foster-care program due to its refusal to certify same-sex couples."

Entire opinions for all the decisions located below.

https://www.scotusblog.com/
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:35 am Upholds Obamacare again 7-2.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... rom-states
The plaintiffs (States) need to do a better job defining their challenge. Because we do not like it is not a good legal challenge. :twocents:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Article III standing can be a bitch.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Missed this one last month:

Supreme Court rules warrantless home gun confiscation is unconstitutional in 9-0 vote.
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/0 ... -9-0-vote/
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SCOTUS drops the hammer on the NCAA in 9-0 decision.
https://www.upi.com/amp/Top_News/US/202 ... 624290275/
YUGE implications for college athletics.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:01 am Missed this one last month:

Supreme Court rules warrantless home gun confiscation is unconstitutional in 9-0 vote.
https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/0 ... -9-0-vote/
Good decision. That goes against one of the grievances we detailed in our breakup letter to King George.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:03 am SCOTUS drops the hammer on the NCAA in 9-0 decision.
While I normally side on the amateurism side, in my mind the "benefits" cited in the article (internships and school-provided laptops) are generally available to ALL students at any given institution, and therefore have no bearing on amateurism whatsoever. And this is particularly true given that the NCAA has jumped in with both feet (at least in FBS) on the NIL issue, which for me has all sorts of bearing on amateurism. That's probably worst in professional golf, motorsports, and soccer (in other countries), where they actually wear advertising on their athletic wear. It's high time the NCAA quits their long-standing hypocrisy on amateurism, particularly with their thumb on the scale in favor of FBS, especially P5....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Anyone who can't see the problem with paying players in college is a dolt.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:27 am Anyone who can't see the problem with paying players in college is a dolt.
Are you referring to the potential that someone might want to tie said "salary" to fixing games?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:27 am Anyone who can't see the problem with paying players in college is a dolt.
I see the problem but I also see the hypocrisy of these institutions of higher learning making millions of dollars off of these players' efforts.

Eventually I think we'll see the growth of things like the NBA's G League Ignite efforts.

And I worry about the long-term impact on Olympic sports that rely on the football and men's basketball revenues to fund scholarships, training facilities, etc.
Last edited by UNI88 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:03 am SCOTUS drops the hammer on the NCAA in 9-0 decision.
While I normally side on the amateurism side, in my mind the "benefits" cited in the article (internships and school-provided laptops) are generally available to ALL students at any given institution, and therefore have no bearing on amateurism whatsoever. And this is particularly true given that the NCAA has jumped in with both feet (at least in FBS) on the NIL issue, which for me has all sorts of bearing on amateurism. That's probably worst in professional golf, motorsports, and soccer (in other countries), where they actually wear advertising on their athletic wear. It's high time the NCAA quits their long-standing hypocrisy on amateurism, particularly with their thumb on the scale in favor of FBS, especially P5....
What? School-provided laptops at any institution? Is that new?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:46 am
Are you referring to the potential that someone might want to tie said "salary" to fixing games?
There are numerous problems that are bigger than a kid not getting paid.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:48 am
I see the problem but I also see the hypocrisy of these institutions of higher learning making millions of dollars off of these players' efforts.
I agree it's inequitable from a distance but how is it hypocrisy?

Once you have a kid who works their ass off all the way through HS and then not get into a particular school while watching athletes who don't even qualify for college get a full ride... Yes, they're not making millions but a free ride to an out of state school that you wouldn't have otherwise gotten in is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:49 am
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am

What? School-provided laptops at any institution? Is that new?
It's not a thing at every school, but I HAVE seen some advertising that. If the school is doing that for all students, the NCAA would have no case for an amateurism violation claim, though they might if the school provided them to athletes but not to non-athletes. And if their enforcement of this were to go like it has in other areas (i.e. sweep it under the rug for P5 schools, but destroy a non-P5 program for something relatively petty), they're probably going to have public perception problems moving forward....

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

So how is this going to work with Title IX? Going to have to pay the women's rowing team the same as the FB players.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:51 pm So how is this going to work with Title IX? Going to have to pay the women's rowing team the same as the FB players.
Players can do their own deals for their autograph, use of their likeness, endorsements, etc . Example below because I heard Gurley mentioned today. Like sign your autograph to x # of items for x number if $$ per item without facing suspension.
https://www.nfl.com/news/todd-gurley-su ... 0000408153

No if no one wants to pay for the women’s rowers autographs, use of likeness, endorsements, etc, that’s their problem..
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:30 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:51 pm So how is this going to work with Title IX? Going to have to pay the women's rowing team the same as the FB players.
Players can do their own deals for their autograph, use of their likeness, endorsements, etc . Example below because I heard Gurley mentioned today. Like sign your autograph to x # of items for x number if $$ per item without facing suspension.
https://www.nfl.com/news/todd-gurley-su ... 0000408153

No if no one wants to pay for the women’s rowers autographs, use of likeness, endorsements, etc, that’s their problem..
This decision didn't open it up to that. Next one likely will though.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

A shitload of sports are going away, I would imagine. How can you pay players of sports that lose money? Lots of money?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:34 pm
A shitload of sports are going away, I would imagine. How can you pay players of sports that lose money? Lots of money?
Considering that for many schools the football program pays for the other sports, yeah. You're right about that.

How about this - now that you can pay players, what's going to happen to the cost of education? It's going to explode. As if a free education (for those scholly athletes) isn't payment enough.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Another good ruling handed down
The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled that a Pennsylvania high school violated the First Amendment rights of a cheerleader by suspending her from her team for using vulgar language that criticized the school on social media.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/23/supreme ... -case.html
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 am Another good ruling handed down
It's weird that the SCOTUS is working with three horrible new judges.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 am Another good ruling handed down
It's weird that the SCOTUS is working with three horrible new judges.
I almost posted something similar. Last week some Uber Liberal friends were talking about it and I had to poke the bear by saying it's refreshing to see Supreme Court Justices not allow political ideology to dictate how they'll rule. Brett and Amy judged to uphold Obamacare. :lol:
Democrats had claimed that the court was sure to scrap the Affordable Care Act, commonly known as ObamaCare, if Justice Amy Coney Barrett was confirmed to the Supreme Court. Barrett, the third justice appointed by former President Donald Trump, was among the majority who voted in the law’s favor.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... rom-states