Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The taxes are too damned high!

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:15 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:06 pm JFC... :lol:

Did I say it solved all of our problems?

Can you water carriers at least agree they should pay above 1.2% of their income?

Hey! Maybe we should all just make billions then none of us would have to pay taxes. :lol:
Income or wealth? The ProPublica piece estimates their taxes on wealth…
Good catch. I missed that.

Different topic but still worthy of debate.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:09 pm
Col Hogan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:15 pm

Income or wealth? The ProPublica piece estimates their taxes on wealth…

“Different topic”….no shit, Sherlock. :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

ProPublica got access to IRS records and a lot of you guys think the IRS hasn't combed over Trump's records. :ohno:

This reeks of purposeful leaking to bolster Biden's tax the rich.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:21 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:09 pm

But also connected. Leverage and grow your wealth to win favorable tax code at the expense of infrastructure and/or future debt, and/or the unwashed masses.

Sophisticated looting.

:coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:03 pm

But also connected. Leverage and grow your wealth to win favorable tax code at the expense of infrastructure and/or future debt, and/or the unwashed masses.

Sophisticated looting.

Taxing wealth is a melting ice cube.

Perfect example: My sister and her husband are co-owners of a ranch in the Bitterroot valued at approximately $15-$18 million. It’s been in the family four generations, and has grown from 120 acres to over 2,000, running 800 head of cattle. They clear something in the neighborhood of $150,000/yr, so they’re not going to get rich. But if they are to be taxed on their WEALTH, they are going to have to start selling pieces of the ranch to pay the taxes, because there’s not enough $$ made to pay the kind of taxes we’re talking about here….and it WILL eventually get to the millionaires, believe you me. And eventually, you run out of land to sell, or cattle to sell, or fixtures and equipment to sell….it just isn’t a sustainable solution.

The ONLY sustainable solution is to reduce government spending to a level that IS sustainable with a reasonable tax code.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Sophisticated looting.

Kind of like dishonest Congress Critters who demonize millionaires until they cash in on their notoriety to write a book that makes millions. Then they up their target from millionaires to billionaires - it's not me, I'm not an evil capitalist, I earned this money.

Maybe a fair tax is a 100% tax on Congress Critters' outside income while they are in office.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:09 pm

Sophisticated looting.

Kind of like dishonest Congress Critters who demonize millionaires until they cash in on their notoriety to write a book that makes millions. Then they up their target from millionaires to billionaires - it's not me, I'm not an evil capitalist, I earned this money.

Maybe a fair tax is a 100% tax on Congress Critters' outside income while they are in office.
Good idea.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:07 pm

Sophisticated looting.

Perfect example: My sister and her husband are co-owners of a ranch in the Bitterroot valued at approximately $15-$18 million. It’s been in the family four generations, and has grown from 120 acres to over 2,000, running 800 head of cattle. They clear something in the neighborhood of $150,000/yr, so they’re not going to get rich. But if they are to be taxed on their WEALTH, they are going to have to start selling pieces of the ranch to pay the taxes, because there’s not enough $$ made to pay the kind of taxes we’re talking about here….and it WILL eventually get to the millionaires, believe you me. And eventually, you run out of land to sell, or cattle to sell, or fixtures and equipment to sell….it just isn’t a sustainable solution.

The ONLY sustainable solution is to reduce government spending to a level that IS sustainable with a reasonable tax code.
That seems unfair and perhaps there should be exceptions but reducing spending is not the ONLY solution.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Sophisticated looting.

:clap: :clap: Gabby Johnson is right!

We need to Marie Kondo our budgets. In my brief decade with the government the waste as as obvious as the sun in the sky. We were spending millions on tasks that we didn't need to do and that someone was already performing.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 am

That seems unfair and perhaps there should be exceptions but reducing spending is not the ONLY solution.
Reducing spending is the first step. In 2020 the government collected $3.4T but spend $6.55T. I know 2020 was an atypical year but it's not the odd year.

https://datalab.usaspending.gov/america ... ategories/
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Well, it may not be the only solution, but lets be real: It's not even on the table for discussion at this point. The government's version of "cutting spending" is to reduce the planned increase. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:22 am

Well, it may not be the only solution, but lets be real: It's not even on the table for discussion at this point. The government's version of "cutting spending" is to reduce the planned increase. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:
That’s why the “negotiation” about the Infrastructure Bill has been so entertaining. The GOP proposes to spend relatively less in absolute terms, and relatively less inefficiently. A boondoggle is a boondoggle,
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Sometimes the Democrats are the party of No Ideas and the GOP are the party of Bad Ideas.

Sometimes they flip. This is one of those times...

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/5582 ... res-wealth
Rep. Thomas Suozzi (D-N.Y.), a member of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, said that he’s exploring the idea of a one-time tax on the wealth of the richest Americans as Democrats seek to increase taxes on the rich in order to pay for spending priorities.

In an interview with The Hill on Friday, Suozzi said he’s in the early stages of looking at what he called a “patriot tax.” This would be a one-time surcharge of 2.5 percent on wealth between $50 million and $100 million and a 5 percent tax on wealth above $100 million. Wealthy people would be able to pay the tax over five years.
What a bad idea. :ohno:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote:Sometimes the Democrats are the party of No Ideas and the GOP are the party of Bad Ideas.

Rep. Thomas Suozzi (D-N.Y.), a member of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, said that he’s exploring the idea of a one-time tax on the wealth of the richest Americans as Democrats seek to increase taxes on the rich in order to pay for spending priorities.

In an interview with The Hill on Friday, Suozzi said he’s in the early stages of looking at what he called a “patriot tax.” This would be a one-time surcharge of 2.5 percent on wealth between $50 million and $100 million and a 5 percent tax on wealth above $100 million. Wealthy people would be able to pay the tax over five years.
I am sure politicians are exempt......
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:59 am
Ibanez wrote:Sometimes the Democrats are the party of No Ideas and the GOP are the party of Bad Ideas.

I am sure politicians are exempt......
Of course. They're altruistic like that. :D
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:35 am Sometimes the Democrats are the party of No Ideas and the GOP are the party of Bad Ideas.

“One time”. If that isn’t the biggest con job EVER. NO tax the government imposes is EVER a “one time” tax.