Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: More Libertarian Looney Tunes from Delaware

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:39 pm

Idaho is a whole bunch of next level stupid squeezed in between the others. Militant Mormons in the south and Illinois nazis in the north.
I should have just said you’d like Idaho. :)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:11 pm Image
I should have just said you’d like Idaho. :)
I like Idaho (if I could I would move there), so he is in good company. Image
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:09 am More lunacy from the Delaware libertarians.... :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-ha ... labor-laws
The Libertarian Party of New Hampshire ignited a social media firestorm this week when it called for the legalization of child labor.

"Legalize child labor. Children will learn more on a job site than in public school," the New Hampshire Libertarian Party wrote on Twitter on Monday. "At the very least, the minimum age to work is a states' rights issue. Federal minimum work ages are unconstitutional."
Oh, that’s awful. Just awful.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

What's a *libertarian* argument against child labor?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Was on FB last night and one of the channels I follow (Words & Numbers - Backstage) had a post on the LP happenings in New Hampshire. Trying to make heads or tails of what is going in the LP is confusing to say the least. After reading the thread and linked articles, I still have no idea what is going on or who was following procedure or not.

Even though I agree with 80+% of what the LP stands for I probably will not ever join due to their lack of structure and cohesiveness at the national level (have been an independent for all my voting life). As a group they have so many different groups under their umbrella, that in many cases have very little in common outside of them not liking the duopoly. Which shows up when you try to run a national 3rd party campaign in that people/candidates go their own direction (which the media eats up and turns off the general public). The basic tenets are outlined on the LP's website and as a member, who is running for a national office, you should agree to those core tenets. Now one can have different viewpoints on them but at the core there should be agreement and I just do not see that happening at the national level.

There is some very good local chapters (the Twin Cites has one that my brother has been involved with for several years and stick true to the principles of the LP), but too many others do not. Kalm mentioned he liked Vermin Supreme, personally he is part of the problem (Vemin not Kalm :D ). The boot and other actions are his schitck and his version of humor, the problem is when 90% do not realize that, it does not do any good other than people remember the weird boot guy. Overall the LP's have an image and member problem and they really do not seem to want to do anything about it. They are also seem to be content to play third wheel (at least from my viewpoint) at the national level.

To earlier posters comments on that it has to start at the base, I wholeheartedly agree and there seems to be progress in some areas. My personal belief is that the core tenants of the LP should be followed and the fringes need to be let go. Until that happens, I think there is a better chance of reforming the Republican Party then there is that the LP will be a serious third party candidate at the national level.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:29 am Until that happens, I think there is a better chance of reforming the Republican Party then there is that the LP will be a serious third party candidate at the national level.
There will never be a sustained (i.e. more than one time in a generation) serious third party candidate at the national level. We have 245 years of history (234 under the current system) that has proven that. Unless we make a major change to the government structure (say, move to UK-style Parliamentarianism) we never will either.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:41 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:29 am Until that happens, I think there is a better chance of reforming the Republican Party then there is that the LP will be a serious third party candidate at the national level.
There will never be a sustained (i.e. more than one time in a generation) serious third party candidate at the national level. We have 245 years of history (234 under the current system) that has proven that. Unless we make a major change to the government structure (say, move to UK-style Parliamentarianism) we never will either.
I used to disagree with this but after the last 4-8 years, I have come around and while I will not say never, the statistical likelihood of it happening is nil.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:47 am

I used to disagree with this but after the last 4-8 years, I have come around and while I will not say never, the statistical likelihood of it happening is nil.
Sure, never is a strong word, but being an engineer, I see it as a curve approaching a limit - it may never technically get there, but it's so close to there and will never deviate from being that close that for all intents and purposes it is never. But I agree, there's a super tiny chance it could not turn out that way. If we change the structure of government we'd get the multiple party system we see elsewhere. I'm not sure I see the value in that.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Too many dumbass factions. Too much silly fighting about who a “real Libertarian” is. The shame of it is that the LP Statement of Principles may be the best political party core document in America. I’ve been harping on the need to build at the state/local level ever since I joined.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

You go all JSO on this point at least once a month, Ganny! :lol:

Still waiting for my apology from the state party. :jack: