Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Israel-Palestine Drama Thread

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:11 am
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:38 am

Me too Gil. And it was created by the Boomers and Gen X.

We have ourselves to blame. However, if you follow history, this current generation of young adults will overcome that climate and recreate a better world than we left them.
Members of the Millenial and Gen Z generations have contributed to today's woes. They might mean well but they ignore history and can be just as rigid in their beliefs as Boomers and Gen X.
They’re young and college campus/rally goers get tge headlines. There’s a silent majority for this generation too. And/or they’ll be hardened through conflict like the Greatest gen was.

Give them time and to learn from some real world consequences.

I’m optimistic.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:45 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:11 am
Members of the Millenial and Gen Z generations have contributed to today's woes. They might mean well but they ignore history and can be just as rigid in their beliefs as Boomers and Gen X.
They’re young and college campus/rally goers get tge headlines. There’s a silent majority for this generation too. And/or they’ll be hardened through conflict like the Greatest gen was.

I’m optimistic.
"Hardened through conflict like the Greatest gen was"? Are you predicting a conflict on the scale of WWII? A economic crisis on the scale of the Great Depression? Because whatever is going to harden them like the Greatest Gen was hasn't happened yet.

I'm optimistic as well but they need to open their eyes and cut through a lot of the BS they're being fed by ideologues on both sides.

For example, My oldest and I were listening to a podcast while driving when the host made a comment about the military taking advantage of poorer African Americans. I paused the podcast and he agreed with the host that the military is taking advantage of poorer African Americans. My two comments were 1) aren't they also giving them an opportunities to improve their lives and provide for their families? and 2) aren't they also taking advantage of poor whites but also providing them with the same opportunities? Why focus just on African Americans? Fortunately, he understood my points and they will impact his thinking. Unfortunately, he's not going to get that perspective from his normal media. Too many of us have our heads in the sand watching/listening/reading sources that reinforce our perspective rather than seeing other perspectives and the big picture.

I should have asked him which is worse? The military taking advantage of individual poor people's needs (jobs and training) and providing them with opportunities fill those needs and improve their lives long-term or the Democratic Party's taking advantage of collective poor people's needs and providing them with short-term funding. To paraphrase Lao Tzu, the Democratic Party gives a man a fish while the military teaches a man to fish.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Gen Y and Gen Z are more likely to fall for the BS of some of the BS of the identitarian left (e.g. the massive blown-out-of-proportion issue of police killing unarmed people). They're also less likely to think there were massive state-wide conspiracies to steal the election from Donald Trump, or think some crank on a Youtube channel understands covid vaccine data better than scientific organizations, or that leftist organizations just made up the concept that greenhouse gases makes it harder for the ground to radiate hate back into space.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:57 am
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:45 am

I’m optimistic.
"Hardened through conflict like the Greatest gen was"? Are you predicting a conflict on the scale of WWII? A economic crisis on the scale of the Great Depression? Because whatever is going to harden them like the Greatest Gen was hasn't happened yet.

I'm optimistic as well but they need to open their eyes and cut through a lot of the BS they're being fed by ideologues on both sides.

For example, My oldest and I were listening to a podcast while driving when the host made a comment about the military taking advantage of poorer African Americans. I paused the podcast and he agreed with the host that the military is taking advantage of poorer African Americans. My two comments were 1) aren't they also giving them an opportunities to improve their lives and provide for their families? and 2) aren't they also taking advantage of poor whites but also providing them with the same opportunities? Why focus just on African Americans? Fortunately, he understood my points and they will impact his thinking. Unfortunately, he's not going to get that perspective from his normal media. Too many of us have our heads in the sand watching/listening/reading sources that reinforce our perspective rather than seeing other perspectives and the big picture.

I should have asked him which is worse? The military taking advantage of individual poor people's needs (jobs and training) and providing them with opportunities fill those needs and improve their lives long-term or the Democratic Party's taking advantage of collective poor people's needs and providing them with short-term funding. To paraphrase Lao Tzu, the Democratic Party gives a man a fish while the military teaches a man to fish.
There’s a chance for further crises but obviously hoping there is not any. This is how Americans felt in the late 30’s weathering the storm of the Great Depression and dust bowl and hoping they were about to see better times. So who knows for sure?

I have had many similar discussions with my boys. They’re clever and keep up on things like yours but still have years of learning to catch up with us.

;)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:00 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:57 am

There’s a chance for further crises but obviously hoping there is not any. This is how Americans felt in the late 30’s weathering the storm of the Great Depression and dust bowl and hoping they were about to see better times. So who knows for sure?

I have had many similar discussions with my boys. They’re clever and keep up on things like yours but still have years of learning to catch up with us.

;)
We're nowhere near feeling the desperation that people felt during the Great Depression and dust bowl.

I have hope for the younger generations but the troubles they face pale in comparison to what the greatest generation faced.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:19 pm

;)
We're nowhere near feeling the desperation that people felt during the Great Depression and dust bowl.

I have hope for the younger generations but the troubles they face pale in comparison to what the greatest generation faced.
that could change very quickly
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Military is a great opportunity and once upon a time it wasn’t just poor people who joined. And the podcast host probably believes all Vets are depressed, economically ruined, suicidal and homeless …. Lmao

Congratulations UNI for displaying a rare moment of truthfulness and clarity
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

;)

True to an extent which is why this crisis period may not be over. The Great Recession through Covid could have been just the start. Or we’ve become better at mitigating crises and we’re nearing the end.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:49 pm

True to an extent which is why this crisis period may not be over. The Great Recession through Covid could have been just the start. Or we’ve become better at mitigating crises and we’re nearing the end.
Better at mitigating crisis…. You cannot be serious…

UNI is right, nothing happening right now come close to the Great Depression, but give Joey Rotten a little more time

Twitter or X or whatever is not your friend
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:36 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:19 pm We're nowhere near feeling the desperation that people felt during the Great Depression and dust bowl.

It could but kalm posted "And/or they’ll be hardened through conflict like the Greatest gen was" which kind of assumes it and/or a conflict on the level of WWII has happened or is going to happen which is presumptuous.
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:49 pm True to an extent which is why this crisis period may not be over. The Great Recession through Covid could have been just the start. Or we’ve become better at mitigating crises and we’re nearing the end.
What we're going through right now has more in common with the 2007/2008 economic crisis, the dot-com bubble bursting or the oil embargo of the 70's than it does with the Great Depression. The pain we're feeling right now is a fraction of what they felt during the Great Depression.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:55 pm
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:49 pm

UNI is right, nothing happening right now come close to the Great Depression, but give Joey Rotten a little more time

Nothing I said here as anything to do with Twitter.

And yes…it’s quite easy to make a case for modern crisis mitigation. Think of how much we learned from the depression - WWII. How many advancements in technology assisted us with Covid alone.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:12 pm
dal4018 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:18 pm
Hamas is defending itself why is it wrong for these people to defend themselves.
Attempting to incite terror and reprisal by intentionally targeting citizens/families is not defending yourself. Hiding behind your own citizens to stoke outrage is not defending yourself.

I feel for the Palestinian people. They should have a place in this world where they can live in peace and prosperity. I vehemently disagree with any philosophy based on driving the Jewish people out of Palestine/Israel with terrorism and violence.
That land never belonged to them in the first place and everyone knows Israel never existed before the '40s.Plus speaking of people who are having problems Black ppl in Africa are catching hell in The Congo,Burkina Faso thanks to FRANCE.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

dal4018 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:03 pm

Attempting to incite terror and reprisal by intentionally targeting citizens/families is not defending yourself. Hiding behind your own citizens to stoke outrage is not defending yourself.

I feel for the Palestinian people. They should have a place in this world where they can live in peace and prosperity. I vehemently disagree with any philosophy based on driving the Jewish people out of Palestine/Israel with terrorism and violence.
That land never belonged to them in the first place and everyone knows Israel never existed before the '40s.Plus speaking of people who are having problems Black ppl in Africa are catching hell in The Congo,Burkina Faso thanks to FRANCE.
Tell that land story to the 3.3 million people living in Puerto Rico
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

We could go around in circles for days debating who the land belongs to and never agree.

I get that former colonizers bear some responsibility for the state of lands and peoples they oppressed but they don't bear 100% of the responsibility. The leaders and factions who came after don't get to blame their misdeeds on former colonizers.

Jama’at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin and the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara have contributed quite a bit to the problems of Black people in Burkino Faso.

I assume you're talking about the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and not the Republic of Congo (RC). I'm not sure why you're blaming France for the troubles there. The DRC was "owned" by King Leopold of Belgium before becoming a Belgian not French colony. There is a lot of history there and while Leopold may have laid the groundwork for it, it isn't all the fault of Europeans.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Are you saying the land belonged to the "Palestinians"?

France sucks ass.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:36 pm
Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:55 pm

And yes…it’s quite easy to make a case for modern crisis mitigation. Think of how much we learned from the depression - WWII. How many advancements in technology assisted us with Covid alone.
So if we’ve learned so much why do they keep printing digital money that doesn’t exist?

Why doesn’t anyone seem to care about the 33 trillion in debt?

Why did Janet lie about inflation?

WWII? What did we learn? Joe the showering with daughter perv is a Warhawk

They haven’t learned shit
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:58 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:33 am

I'm sad for this generation and the political climate of today.
Just turn off the news and stay off Twitter…. Life has never
Been better
I don't watch much news or Twitter, and life is good. Politics creeps into sports, and its not always good when it happens.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

That land belonged to many groups of people over time, and before the Palestinians. Why is it bad that Isreal controls it now? The Jewish population originally dwindled during the Roman Empire.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:40 pm Military is a great opportunity and once upon a time it wasn’t just poor people who joined. And the podcast host probably believes all Vets are depressed, economically ruined, suicidal and homeless …. Lmao

Congratulations UNI for displaying a rare moment of truthfulness and clarity
You must mean officers, the lower classes have always filled the enlisted ranks :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:35 am

So if we’ve learned so much why do they keep printing digital money that doesn’t exist?

M&M’s were invented for WWII. A treat that wouldn’t melt in soldiers pockets.

That was probably the only single thing we learned though (other than the evil of Joe Biden, apparently).

Why do you hate delicious chocolate with the hard candy shell?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:10 pm
houndawg wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:36 pm

It could but kalm posted "And/or they’ll be hardened through conflict like the Greatest gen was" which kind of assumes it and/or a conflict on the level of WWII has happened or is going to happen which is presumptuous.
kalm wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:49 pm True to an extent which is why this crisis period may not be over. The Great Recession through Covid could have been just the start. Or we’ve become better at mitigating crises and we’re nearing the end.
What we're going through right now has more in common with the 2007/2008 economic crisis, the dot-com bubble bursting or the oil embargo of the 70's than it does with the Great Depression. The pain we're feeling right now is a fraction of what they felt during the Great Depression.
Wait until the ocean currents get further along in their shifting. :coffee:

Although so far southernmost Illinois seems to be a sweet spot - the range of our weather hasn't increased but the time that we get it and how much of it we get has. August this year was more like May temperature wise and April precip-wise - great if you aren't a farmer
Last edited by houndawg on Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Don't know if it's true, but thoughts about the missiles and drones that got shot down. Supplied by China. Why? Because if the missiles and drones damaged the US fleet in the Red Sea, it would not only be a huge victory for Yemen, but drag the US into a Middle East conflict. Why? Now the US can't cover Taiwan as effectively.

All speculation, but a lot more interesting take than the nondescript statement CNN put out for the State Department.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:11 am Don't know if it's true, but thoughts about the missiles and drones that got shot down. Supplied by China. Why? Because if the missiles and drones damaged the US fleet in the Red Sea, it would not only be a huge victory for Yemen, but drag the US into a Middle East conflict. Why? Now the US can't cover Taiwan as effectively.

All speculation, but a lot more interesting take than the nondescript statement CNN put out for the State Department.
Totally believable as everyone knows the Jews worked with the Chinese to unleash Covid on the world. I can’t believe you’re this far behind!
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

It's the white people's fault. :lol:

Answer the question, coward.

Does Israel have the right to exist?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:35 am

The BDS grows ever stronger, I'm telling you, bro, get that treated asap.....cases as advanced as yours seem to affect brain function in the same manner as tertiary syhphilis...