A question for all of you more "woke" people on the board...

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: A question for all of you more

Post by Ibanez »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:32 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 am
The Polacks are the ones screwing in lightbulbs by running in circles...
Shockingly, I'm half Polish and not the least bit offended by that.
Have your non-Polish half explain it to your Polish half and report back.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:32 am

Shockingly, I'm half Polish and not the least bit offended by that.
The Irish/Welsh/German/French side concurred - we don't give a shit.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:36 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 am

The Irish/Welsh/German/French side concurred - we don't give a shit.
Yeah - b/c they're the ones making up the Polish Jokes.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: A question for all of you more "woke" people on the board...

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Nah, most people can tell from tone, context, and history with a person if they're being offensive or not. Minorities aren't dumb. A friend who's been there my whole life calling me a "aaaaa-rab" = funny. Some random dude in grocery store doing it = red flags.

Better rule: don't use certain terms unless you know that person well, in which you'll know if they care or not. As for oriental itself, i
Yeah I hear that all the time from the little woke cunts

“I know how you meant that so we’re good”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm Why is the term "Oriental" an offensive way to refer to a person of eastern Asian descent? My wife's friend blasted me recently for referring to an eastern Asian girl as "Oriental". Her response was that "Oriental" refers to a rug and not a person. I said, "I'm Polish and that can be a person or a sausage, so what's the difference?" So. please school me - why is "Oriental" offensive when "Asian" is not, even though "Oriental" is a more exact description.
Just refer to yourself as Occidental. And tell them to pound sand.

Years ago, I was at some work convention or sss. I was talking with someone and said PG County, this lady, not in the conversation or group, butts in and says, excuse me its Prince Georges County.

I said "Lady, I went to HS in PG Co, my dad is from District Heights and my mom is from the bad side of Takoma Park(lol), its PG county" She looked at me all shocked and insulted.

Years later, Kevin Durant named a shoe called the PG County and people got all upset about it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:39 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm Why is the term "Oriental" an offensive way to refer to a person of eastern Asian descent? My wife's friend blasted me recently for referring to an eastern Asian girl as "Oriental". Her response was that "Oriental" refers to a rug and not a person. I said, "I'm Polish and that can be a person or a sausage, so what's the difference?" So. please school me - why is "Oriental" offensive when "Asian" is not, even though "Oriental" is a more exact description.
An old neighbor who was like a grandpa to me, would greet my brother’s Chinese-Hawaiian wife with “And how’s my little Chinamen?”

I think she would have preferred “oriental”.
I'm calling bullshit, this is a made up story! :D
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 am
dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Except the Micks - they are all drunk.

And the damn Krauts, always trying to take over things

And the Greasy Wops are easy to spot

The Frogs can be spotted by the white flag berets

The English when they smile

Hard to tell the Polacks and Ukrains apart - but easy to spot the dumbasses
The Polacks are the ones screwing in lightbulbs by running in circles...
:thumb:

Grew up on Polack jokes!!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Was speaking with a Chinese gal and was discussing how I had to review another person's work and in doing so, I used the phrase, "chink in the armor".

Apologized to her the next morning when I realized that could be offensive. She said that it didn't bother her because she understood the context, but thanked me for looking into the phrase.

I saved that email!! :lol:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:31 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:59 am Nah, most people can tell from tone, context, and history with a person if they're being offensive or not. Minorities aren't dumb. A friend who's been there my whole life calling me a "aaaaa-rab" = funny. Some random dude in grocery store doing it = red flags.

Better rule: don't use certain terms unless you know that person well, in which you'll know if they care or not. As for oriental itself, i
I think Baldy nailed it above:
Asian - People
Oriental - Objects

I've yet to find a "woke" person in real life that doesn't get offended, regardless of tone, context and our mutual history. As a Catholic, I was called a "fish eater" once. To this day I still laugh. I didn't realize that was supposed to be offensive.

I would love to know how many woke leftis (especially the vegan/vegetarian ones) are chowing down on this

Or are buying from www.orientaltrading.com. Or have traveled and stayed at https://www.mandarinoriental.com/.

Those are objects so...
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:59 am Nah, most people can tell from tone, context, and history with a person if they're being offensive or not. Minorities aren't dumb. A friend who's been there my whole life calling me a "aaaaa-rab" = funny. Some random dude in grocery store doing it = red flags.

Asian - People
Oriental - Objects

I've yet to find a "woke" person in real life that doesn't get offended, regardless of tone, context and our mutual history. As a Catholic, I was called a "fish eater" once. To this day I still laugh. I didn't realize that was supposed to be offensive.

I would love to know how many woke leftis (especially the vegan/vegetarian ones) are chowing down on this

Or are buying from www.orientaltrading.com. Or have traveled and stayed at https://www.mandarinoriental.com/.
We always watch "It's a Wonderful Life" every Christmas and I think it's amusing when Mr. Potter seemingly insults the riff-raff that he thinks George Bailey hangs out with by calling them "a bunch of garlic eaters". I imagine it's a slur against Italians, but doesn't make sense anymore - I love garlic and I don't have an ounce of Italian in me.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Asian - People
Oriental - Objects

Also, I think the term "Asian" is starting not to be well liked either. Too many people think that just refers to people from China. I know when that new Disney movie came out last month ("Raya and the Last Dragon", or something like that) that she was being billed as Disney's new "East Asian" princess - apparently the folks in East Asia were feeling unfairly grouped together with China and other West Asia peoples.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:02 am
Asian - People
Oriental - Objects

Also, I think the term "Asian" is starting not to be well liked either. Too many people think that just refers to people from China. I know when that new Disney movie came out last month ("Raya and the Last Dragon", or something like that) that she was being billed as Disney's new "East Asian" princess - apparently the folks in East Asia were feeling unfairly grouped together with China and other West Asia peoples.
:roll: I get the point of not offending any one and discarding offensive language but seriously? This world has gone to shit...

From now on...i'm no longer American. I'm Southern American - I don't want to be grouped in with those weirdos out west, Boston and Florida (no offense, SSBH).
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Asian - People
Oriental - Objects

China is West Asia?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 am

:roll: I get the point of not offending any one and discarding offensive language but seriously? This world has gone to shit...

From now on...i'm no longer American. I'm Southern American - I don't want to be grouped in with those weirdos out west, Boston and Florida (no offense, SSBH).
Took you long enough to get offended. I've been requiring people to refer to me as Dutch American for years.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:46 am
Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:05 am

Took you long enough to get offended. I've been requiring people to refer to me as Dutch American for years.

I’m all for respecting people with names they chose to identify with....

Except the Dutch.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:02 am Also, I think the term "Asian" is starting not to be well liked either. Too many people think that just refers to people from China. I know when that new Disney movie came out last month ("Raya and the Last Dragon", or something like that) that she was being billed as Disney's new "East Asian" princess - apparently the folks in East Asia were feeling unfairly grouped together with China and other West Asia peoples.

I just got back from the beach. Why should I be offended?

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:53 am

Except the Dutch.
Those jerks always want to split the tab. :D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Except the Dutch.
:lol: Exactly. Me too!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 am

Except the Dutch.
Frankly, it's their using two jump ropes at the same time that really pisses me off - freakin' showoffs. :nod:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Asian - People
Oriental - Objects

Going out for Ramen for lunch with the wife today. I'll be sure to ask how they prefer to be addressed.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:10 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 am

Frankly, it's their using two jump ropes at the same time that really pisses me off - freakin' showoffs. :nod:
Frankly? Is that supposed to be a dig at those with French ancestry!? :tothehand: :tothehand: :tothehand:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45 am

Frankly? Is that supposed to be a dig at those with French ancestry!? :tothehand: :tothehand: :tothehand:
Ha! Good one!
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:55 pm And for UNI88/Wayne/Clenz: Is your wife's friend hot?
Before I continue to read the rest of what I'm sure is mostly whit I couldn't care about - did this get answered?

With proof?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I agree, can you imagine the gall (or gaul, if you will) I had to say that?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:23 pm
I agree, can you imagine the gall (or gaul, if you will) I had to say that?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I need my safe space!