I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Take Your Ball and Go Home, Georgia

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:12 am
kalm wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:07 am

Huh? You got that from what I posted?

:suspicious:
I asked a simple question, so why don't you explain what you're trying to convey here then?

You have a weird habit of being intentionally vague for some strange reason.
Well in your answer to your question...no.

I simply posted an article relating to corporate reaction to the law as a consequence.

What else would you like to know? I’m an open book and I’m here to help. :mrgreen:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I saw Brian Kemp on TV saying MLB has not told him what in the law they object to. That is disingenuous. You can argue about whether or not various provisions really do disproportionately impact Black voting in a negative way. But aspects of the law that concern voting rights groups are no secret.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

This is kind of interesting:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... t-longer1/

It's a report on a study from 2019 that uses smart phone data to infer that voters in Black neighborhoods have to wait longer in line to vote. That relates to concern over the passing out water restriction. One expression of it is at https://www.kadn.com/content/news/Its-n ... 81301.html. A quote:
The law applies within 150 feet of a polling place or within 25 feet of any voter at a polling place. Violators are guilty of a misdemeanor.
But some observers see the provision as an attempt to curb voting by urban voters and people of color who lean Democratic and whose precincts often have long waits to cast ballots.
And yes I know there are claims that the law contains provision that will diminish wait times. Obviously, voting rights groups are not convinced.

To me this whole deal of acting like there is nothing to see here is ridiculous. We have a situation in which there was an election in Georgia. The Republican candidate for President and two Republican candidates for the Senate lost by narrow margins in what is considered to be a red State. There was intense vetting of the process. It ended up in about as well documented as it can be documented that the election went fine. But all of a sudden Republican legislators and a Republican Governor in the State feel that it's just ABSOLUTELY necessary to significantly change voting laws to do things that will obviously make voting more difficult in places like Fulton County. I mean come on. Seriously people. You know what is going on.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Coke condemns the GA voting law, get turns out they require ID to get into shareholder meetings. Hypocrites.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

PayPal condems GA voter law, yet turns out they require an ID to open up and maintain an account. Hypocrites.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

Federal banking regulations and laws require financial institutions to identify all account holders beyond any doubt and monitor their accounts for any and all suspicious activity.

Think about that in contrast with voter identification laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

MLB pulls All Star game out of GA, but requires proof of ID to pick up All Star game tickets. Hypocrites..
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:58 pm This is kind of interesting:

It's a report on a study from 2019 that uses smart phone data to infer that voters in Black neighborhoods have to wait longer in line to vote. That relates to concern over the passing out water restriction. One expression of it is at https://www.kadn.com/content/news/Its-n ... 81301.html. A quote:
The law applies within 150 feet of a polling place or within 25 feet of any voter at a polling place. Violators are guilty of a misdemeanor.
But some observers see the provision as an attempt to curb voting by urban voters and people of color who lean Democratic and whose precincts often have long waits to cast ballots.
And yes I know there are claims that the law contains provision that will diminish wait times. Obviously, voting rights groups are not convinced.

To me this whole deal of acting like there is nothing to see here is ridiculous. We have a situation in which there was an election in Georgia. The Republican candidate for President and two Republican candidates for the Senate lost by narrow margins in what is considered to be a red State. There was intense vetting of the process. It ended up in about as well documented as it can be documented that the election went fine. But all of a sudden Republican legislators and a Republican Governor in the State feel that it's just ABSOLUTELY necessary to significantly change voting laws to do things that will obviously make voting more difficult in places like Fulton County. I mean come on. Seriously people. You know what is going on.
Of course there is nothing to see here. There is not one provision in this law that isn't already on the books in many or most states. Donks are just pissed because loopholes they have been taking advantage of have now been closed, and practices that are already illegal in other states are now illegal in Georgia.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

No water restrictions. Restrictions on electioneering. Just one more dishonest leftist disinformation item. Where are the fact checkers adding missing context?

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

There is no problem passing out water, but within 150 feet, it needs to be donated to the polling staff, so they can disseminate.

What they are trying to prevent is swaying a voter by providing services near the voting booths. If they didn't, can you imagine how ridiculous it would get? A party could set up a free meal and foot massage service right before someone voted. I know that is ridiculous, but that is what they are trying to prevent.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:52 pm
JohnStOnge wrote:And look, we all know what this is. The 2020 Georgia election went fine. There were no significant fraud problems. There were no significant irregularity problems. This is a solution to something that is not a problem. It's happening because the national election results weren't what the Republicans wanted them to be. So they are trying to repress voting among constituencies that do not favor them to make it less likely that such will happen again. It's obvious.
There is certainly some truth to that

But we have a plurality of Americans who cast a raised eyebrow at various states’ election systems and verification methods

I have no issue with trying to shore up that issue - because in most states voting regs ARE lax. And when this law goes through and Magatards want to claim endemic fraud in the next election in GA they will have an even bigger uphill climb

I see zero harm in this election bill. I also do not regards black people as imbeciles the way progressives do

Haven't read it but it sounds on the news shows like the beef is with who is going to control the election boards and certification of elections.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Baldy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:21 pm

Of course there is nothing to see here. There is not one provision in this law that isn't already on the books in many or most states. Donks are just pissed because loopholes they have been taking advantage of have now been closed, and practices that are already illegal in other states are now illegal in Georgia.
If Republicans had won the Senate seats none of this would be happening. :coffee:

Somebody is pissed...... but it ain't the donks. :mrgreen:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:10 pm
CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:58 pm
Wronge

Electioneering within 150 or so feet from polling places is illegal in nearly every state

The whole water thing closes a loophole that was being exploited. AND the GA law requires polling places to provide water within those areas

AND - you are parsing out what the NYT actually wrote much in the same way a Trumper parses Trump’s tweets

You are the same as them

The Georgia law makes it illegal to hand out water within 25 feet of anybody standing in line; not just within 150 feet of a polling place.

See the whole Politifact discussion linked above.
Have you read the bill? It makes it so that poll workers and not anyone from the campaigns can hand out water. It closes a loophole.

I think there's some merit that this is due to the SoS and State upholding the election for Biden. I would believe that any attempt to undermine the Voting Rights of Americans will be stopped by the courts and, to my knowledge, it's been crickets.

The one things that's a bit suspect is removing the SoS from the process - I think that's clearly b/c he refused to overturn the election for Trump. General Lee (see what I did there???), I'm not in favor of the State usurping the role of county officials however it's a bit stupid to NOT have some top down administration/oversight of a federally significant election. :twocents:

But I'm not really seeing anything that's egregious. Expanding weekend voting?! Oh the horror! Forcing people to prove they meet the residency requirements to vote absentee? Oh, ma lawd! It's givin me the vapors! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Jim Crow is dead. :coffee:

There's a late 1700s/early 1800s cemetery in my neighborhood. There are some really descriptive tombstones for several Revolutionary War vets. But this one, Jim Crow, I didn't notice until last week.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

LeadBolt wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:18 pm Federal banking regulations and laws require financial institutions to identify all account holders beyond any doubt and monitor their accounts for any and all suspicious activity.

Think about that in contrast with voter identification laws.

Let's be clear about this - Actual human's aren't monitoring anything. It's scripts and algorithms that are searching for any anomaly. If someone steals your CC and starts buying things online that don't match your normal purchases or in a state you couldn't possibly be in due to other transactions, the alerts to you all are automated. When you call the customer service line to report it, that's usually the first time a human has looked at your account.

What is South Carolina going to glean about my life from my DL number (which they already have, btw)?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:55 am

The Georgia law makes it illegal to hand out water within 25 feet of anybody standing in line; not just within 150 feet of a polling place.

Have you read the bill? It makes it so that poll workers and not anyone from the campaigns can hand out water. It closes a loophole.

I think there's some merit that this is due to the SoS and State upholding the election for Biden. I would believe that any attempt to undermine the Voting Rights of Americans will be stopped by the courts and, to my knowledge, it's been crickets.

The one things that's a bit suspect is removing the SoS from the process - I think that's clearly b/c he refused to overturn the election for Trump. General Lee (see what I did there???), I'm not in favor of the State usurping the role of county officials however it's a bit stupid to NOT have some top down administration/oversight of a federally significant election. :twocents:

But I'm not really seeing anything that's egregious. Expanding weekend voting?! Oh the horror! Forcing people to prove they meet the residency requirements to vote absentee? Oh, ma lawd! It's givin me the vapors! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Agreed. Amazing, for a party and its supporters like JSO who whined for the past 4 years for all of the falsehoods and hyperboles that Trump and his ilk uttered (and they uttered a tremendous amount of falsehoods and hyperboles), to then turn around and say things like this election rules bill is "Jim Crow 2.0" or "Jim Crow on steroids" is hypocrisy of the highest order and an insult to what people truly had to suffer through during the Jim Crow era.

Our politics today doesn't work because political parties and hacks like JSO will scream the loudest while playing fast and loose with the truth. The fact this this election law in Georgia actually expands the ability to vote as compared to existing law, and yet is portrayed as an anti-black law, akin to segregation, is appalling. For shame, JSO, you're basically Trump with likely different colored hair.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:05 am

Agreed. Amazing, for a party and its supporters like JSO who whined for the past 4 years for all of the falsehoods and hyperboles that Trump and his ilk uttered (and they uttered a tremendous amount of falsehoods and hyperboles), to then turn around and say things like this election rules bill is "Jim Crow 2.0" or "Jim Crow on steroids" is hypocrisy of the highest order and an insult to what people truly had to suffer through during the Jim Crow era.

Our politics today doesn't work because political parties and hacks like JSO will scream the loudest while playing fast and loose with the truth. The fact this this election law in Georgia actually expands the ability to vote as compared to existing law, and yet is portrayed as an anti-black law, akin to segregation, is appalling. For shame, JSO, you're basically Trump with likely different colored hair.
How does it expand the ability to vote?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:08 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:05 am

Paraphrasing from the WaPo as I don't have access past the pay wall, it expands voting by:

- establishing a minimum of how many drop boxes for early voting are required in each county. Prior law had no minimum and some counties had none.
- allows an additional day of early voting by mandating that at least two Saturdays for early voting are required in each primary and general election where prior law only mandated one Saturday - this would be more Saturdays.
- the law requires the state to monitor lines at all polling places and to respond if lines have more than an hour wait or if there are still voters in line more than an hour after polls were to close, and it requires the state to open up new polling places or to beef up resources at those polling places to alleviate these lines.

Listen, I get it, you certainly have to question the intent of Georgia GOP legislators, in the wake of a disappointing election loss, and what they're up to. But at the same time, when you have supposedly mature leaders like Biden or Obama calling this law a return to Jim Crow laws, you have to also question their intent too. The law does some good things, and the law, it can be argued, unnecessarily tightens things. But at least let's argue it on its actual content rather than social media clickbait.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:24 am
kalm wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:08 am

Paraphrasing from the WaPo as I don't have access past the pay wall, it expands voting by:

- establishing a minimum of how many drop boxes for early voting are required in each county. Prior law had no minimum and some counties had none.
- allows an additional day of early voting by mandating that at least two Saturdays for early voting are required in each primary and general election where prior law only mandated one Saturday - this would be more Saturdays.
- the law requires the state to monitor lines at all polling places and to respond if lines have more than an hour wait or if there are still voters in line more than an hour after polls were to close, and it requires the state to open up new polling places or to beef up resources at those polling places to alleviate these lines.

Listen, I get it, you certainly have to question the intent of Georgia GOP legislators, in the wake of a disappointing election loss, and what they're up to. But at the same time, when you have supposedly mature leaders like Biden or Obama calling this law a return to Jim Crow laws, you have to also question their intent too. The law does some good things, and the law, it can be argued, unnecessarily tightens things. But at least let's argue it on its actual content rather than social media clickbait.
Fair enough. :thumb:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

houndawg wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:16 pm
Baldy wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:21 pm

If Republicans had won the Senate seats none of this would be happening. :coffee:

Somebody is pissed...... but it ain't the donks. :mrgreen:
No surprise here, but you're wrong.

However, I wouldn't expect you to know about this anyway. This was in the works long before the 2020 election. Here is why the voting law changed, and why Raffensperger got "demoted": https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... yV-pDfsghW

Georgia didn't require voter ID for absentee ballots because they used a signature match verification system. The Donks and Stacey Abrams sued Raffensperger and the SoS because of it, so instead of going through the expensive legal process, Raffy and Co. decided to settle the suit. Signature match verification went away and boom...the Donks win 2020. It's only a coincidence I'm sure. :|
Last edited by Baldy on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

The SoS wasn't taken out of the process. The SoS still oversees elections, and the Secretary still has to certify all elections. The only thing the law really did was demote the Secretary to non-voting ex-officio status on the Georgia Board of Elections.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

MLB just announced that the All-Star game has been moved to Denver.

A recap...Rob Manfred moved the All-Star game from a majority black city to a majority white city in a state that has more restrictive voting laws than Georgia. :?

:lol:

Chances are that if Manfred isn't already, he will be in the great state of Georgia this very week enjoying the privileges that come with being a member of the extremely white and very conservative Augusta National Golf Club. :rofl:

The optics of this fiasco are utterly amazing. :clap:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Baldy wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:44 pm MLB just announced that the All-Star game has been moved to Denver.

A recap...Rob Manfred moved the All-Star game from a majority black city to a majority white city in a state that has more restrictive voting laws than Georgia. :?

:lol:

Chances are that if Manfred isn't already, he will be in the great state of Georgia this very week enjoying the privileges that come with being a member of the extremely white and very conservative Augusta National Golf Club. :rofl:

The optics of this fiasco are utterly amazing. :clap:
If they were going to move it, why not to Milwaukee where Aaron started his career.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

I'm still waiting for the chain of custody documentation on those 400,000 Georgia drop box votes. Sure hope Georgia fixed that problem.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm Maybe klam can tell us what about the GA law triggers him

Joe Biden tells him what to think.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."