UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Reason vs. Passion Based Emotions

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:51 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:36 pm
See, it doesn’t hurt my feelings if you say I’m playing the victim card. Are blacks playing the victim card or the race card when they complain about the way they’re treated? As 88 so eloquently said, when the pendulum swings so far to the other side that the oppressed are now oppressing their oppressors, well then then entire society has pretty much jumped the shark. So call me whatever you’d like, doesn’t change the fact that my previous post has waaaaaay more to do with what happened on 1/6 than just the appearance of a stolen election. That was just the icing on the cake.

Oh and newsflash: The next four years? Dems will be pouring gasoline on THAT fire, and we can expect another giant swing in the other direction in 2024. :tothehand: :nod:
Of course! Just like unaffordable healthcare, hyper-inflation of essential services, deferment of environmental cleanup and infrastructure needs didn’t happen overnight either. Unravelings take a couple of decades followed by a couple of decades of crisis.

The pendulum isn’t really swinging all that far once you recognize how much we’ve let things go. That swing is what also takes us out of crisis.

Regardless of all that and your sense of wealth equality, debt spending etc, the average Joe has an expectation of a high standard of living and they will rally, riot, cheat the system, or simply leave to get there’s...just like the upper classes have done.
Thank you for this passion-based argument. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:03 am

Of course! Just like unaffordable healthcare, hyper-inflation of essential services, deferment of environmental cleanup and infrastructure needs didn’t happen overnight either. Unravelings take a couple of decades followed by a couple of decades of crisis.

The pendulum isn’t really swinging all that far once you recognize how much we’ve let things go. That swing is what also takes us out of crisis.

Regardless of all that and your sense of wealth equality, debt spending etc, the average Joe has an expectation of a high standard of living and they will rally, riot, cheat the system, or simply leave to get there’s...just like the upper classes have done.
Just reflecting on history and reality. You’re welcome.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:36 pm

See, it doesn’t hurt my feelings if you say I’m playing the victim card. Are blacks playing the victim card or the race card when they complain about the way they’re treated? As 88 so eloquently said, when the pendulum swings so far to the other side that the oppressed are now oppressing their oppressors, well then then entire society has pretty much jumped the shark. So call me whatever you’d like, doesn’t change the fact that my previous post has waaaaaay more to do with what happened on 1/6 than just the appearance of a stolen election. That was just the icing on the cake.

Oh and newsflash: The next four years? Dems will be pouring gasoline on THAT fire, and we can expect another giant swing in the other direction in 2024. :tothehand: :nod:

Regardless of all that and your sense of wealth equality, debt spending etc, the average Joe has an expectation of a high standard of living and they will rally, riot, cheat the system, or simply leave to get theirs...just like the upper classes have done.
Please, lay out in detail “how far we’ve let things go”. Maybe by comparing America to the America of 50 years ago when there were still separate bathrooms, water fountains and restaurants for AA’s, there was NO interstate system, big chunks of the South didn’t have running water or indoor plumbing, being gay was a death sentence, etc., etc. Yeah. It’s just fucking horrible, really gone south.

Why do you hate America? :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:09 am

Regardless of all that and your sense of wealth equality, debt spending etc, the average Joe has an expectation of a high standard of living and they will rally, riot, cheat the system, or simply leave to get theirs...just like the upper classes have done.
Please, lay out in detail “how far we’ve let things go”. Maybe by comparing America to the America of 50 years ago when there were still separate bathrooms, water fountains and restaurants for AA’s, there was NO interstate system, big chunks of the South didn’t have running water or indoor plumbing, being gay was a death sentence, etc., etc. Yeah. It’s just fucking horrible, really gone south.

Yeah...let’s use a mid 20th century measuring stick. :roll:

I’m sure that meets everyone’s expectations. Just don’t tell the working class you’re enjoying Munich while they live in Havana.

:coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:40 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:03 am
So your passion is ok but MAGAts' passion is not?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:44 am
kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:40 am

So your passion is ok but MAGAts' passion is not?
* emotions.

And yes.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:44 am So your passion is ok but MAGAts' passion is not?
* emotions.

And yes.
Demonstrating your illiberal privilege by imperialisticly deciding that your views and emotions are valid while others are not. :D

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 am

I’m sure that meets everyone’s expectations. Just don’t tell the working class you’re enjoying Munich while they live in Havana.

:rofl: :rofl:

Fine. Pick your measuring stick. I asked you to detail all the horrendous things that have happened, so you pick. Go ahead, we’ll wait.

And pretty much the only place it looks like Havana is Dem-held Meccas like Detroit, Cleveland (and soon to be Portland)...
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:42 am
kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 am

Fine. Pick your measuring stick. I asked you to detail all the horrendous things that have happened, so you pick. Go ahead, we’ll wait.

And pretty much the only place it looks like Havana is Dem-held Meccas like Detroit, Cleveland (and soon to be Portland)...
We’re bound to be better, Mort. But the ability of a working class person to afford healthcare, get out from under tuition debt, affordable housing, retirement with dignity, etc is diminished.

Let alone infrastructure needs.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:50 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:42 am

We’re bound to be better, Mort. But the ability of a working class person to afford healthcare, get out from under tuition debt, affordable housing, retirement with dignity, etc is diminished.

Tuition debt is a choice. Choices have consequences. We have 1800 employees. All but a handful are “working class” making less than $60,000 / yr. They ALL have healthcare. Employment is a choice also. You and i see the world very, very differently. I’m of the belief that most folks who find themselves unable to afford housing or healthcare made several piss poor choices earlier in life that led them to their lot. Is it now OUR responsibility to continue covering for their mistakes? I have several glowing examples within my own extended family I could point to.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:57 pm

Tuition debt is a choice. Choices have consequences. We have 1800 employees. All but a handful are “working class” making less than $60,000 / yr. They ALL have healthcare. Employment is a choice also. You and i see the world very, very differently. I’m of the belief that most folks who find themselves unable to afford housing or healthcare made several piss poor choices earlier in life that led them to their lot. Is it now OUR responsibility to continue covering for their mistakes? I have several glowing examples within my own extended family I could point to.
Hercules for the win ...

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:20 pm

Hercules for the win ...

Exactly. Now THAT I could get behind. :nod: :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

And our economy thrives off of those choices.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

It would prefer you made good ones.

And I’m not suggesting things couldn’t use some improving but I’m not in the “fix a chip in the windshield with a sledgehammer “ crowd like the left appears to be.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 am

So let's reward poor decision-making and essentially punish good decision-making? That is the opposite of natural selection. I thought libruls were pro-science. Or do they only want to follow the science when it fits their agenda?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:12 am
kalm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:00 am

So let's reward poor decision-making and essentially punish good decision-making? That is the opposite of natural selection. I thought libruls were pro-science. Or do they only want to follow the science when it fits their agenda?
Just making observations. I thought conservatives were supposed to be more realistic?

Show me the large scale economy that successfully operates without debt and on rational self interest based consumption.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:12 am

Just making observations. I thought conservatives were supposed to be more realistic?

Show me the large-scale economy that successfully operates without debt and on rational self-interest-based consumption.
So yes, science only matters when it fits the agenda.

Borrowing is a normal part of the economy. That doesn't mean that borrowing lots of money to pursue a liberal arts degree with limited career choices is good for the individual or the economy and should be rewarded.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 am

Show me the large-scale economy that successfully operates without debt and on rational self-interest-based consumption.

Borrowing is a normal part of the economy. That doesn't mean that borrowing lots of money to pursue a liberal arts degree with limited career choices is good for the individual or the economy and should be rewarded.
It’s NOT good for the economy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:51 am

Sure. But most of the student debt is owed by higher wage earners. And that’s just one type of debt.

Don’t know where you’re going with the science comment.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:42 pm

Sure. But most of the student debt is owed by higher wage earners. And that’s just one type of debt.

I've seen Democrats use this as an argument against loan forgiveness, and it's a terrible argument that I'm honestly surprised Democrats would make. Some college grads really are struggling.

The way I see it, we bailed out grown-azz men whose irresponsibility wrecked the global economy, we can bail out people that were irresponsible as 18-21 year olds in borrowing insane money for multicultural dance theory degrees.

All I ask is that we package that with some changes to the loan program, like maybe putting a cap on how much can be borrowed to get colleges to cut down on their overhead, and maybe get rid of all the diversity deans and administrative bloat too.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:20 pm

I've seen Democrats use this as an argument against loan forgiveness, and it's a terrible argument that I'm honestly surprised Democrats would make. Some college grads really are struggling.

The way I see it, we bailed out grown-azz men whose irresponsibility wrecked the global economy, we can bail out people that were irresponsible as 18-21 year olds in borrowing insane money for multicultural dance theory degrees.

All I ask is that we package that with some changes to the loan program, like maybe putting a cap on how much can be borrowed to get colleges to cut down on their overhead, and maybe get rid of all the diversity deans and administrative bloat too.
I brought it up just to show it’s a being experienced by more than just creative writing majors.

Agree with the rest.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I would propose that rather than forgiveness, the government stop charging interest if minimum payments are made.

We shouldn't have bailed out GM or the airlines either.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Exhibit A of our decline is obviously highways and bridges, and it speaks volumes that we went to the moon 50 years ago just to prove we could and then never went back. As a nation we just aren't capable of playing a long game; thats the main reason we're in the process of being replaced at the top of the heap by China.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:50 am

Exhibit A of our decline is obviously highways and bridges, and it speaks volumes that we went to the moon 50 years ago just to prove we could and then never went back. As a nation we just aren't capable of playing a long game; thats the main reason we're in the process of being replaced at the top of the heap by China.
Was all that money spent on going to the moon really worth it just for Tang?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

That's actually a good point. We bailed out the "experts and professionals" that made bad business decisions in the name of our economy...what's wrong with doing the same with the ordinary citizen. Considering the avg student loan payment is nearly $400/month - that is substantial savings that could help boost a savings account, buy a car, afford a house, help a person live more easily and not qualify for welfare, etc...

Before the MAGA crowd on here try to imply something about my position - i'm not advocating student loan forgiveness.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17