2024 Primary

Political discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: 2024 Primary

Post by SuperHornet »

I got sucked into this once already by my friends. Not going down THAT road again.

All y'all know who SH is voting for in 2024...even if he has to write her in again. Better than Trump....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:56 pm I got sucked into this once already by my friends. Not going down THAT road again.

All y'all know who SH is voting for in 2024...even if he has to write her in again. Better than Trump....
Liz fan? You sly dog!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:36 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:56 pm I got sucked into this once already by my friends. Not going down THAT road again.

Liz fan? You sly dog!
No.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Amy Grant?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:33 amAmy Grant?
:lol: Totally forgot about her.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:18 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:53 pm He‘s running.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/donald ... -president
Did you ever doubt whether he would?

He will also be the nominee.
No guarantee he'll be the nominee this time around. I think he's the initial leader (besides being the first with his hat officially in the ring) but there's still plenty of time between now and when voting starts in early 2024. I wouldn't put it past him to claim a health-related ailment as an excuse to get out of the race if it looks like he might not win. Heck, Ivanka already disavowed being part of this campaign, bound to be others as well. Plenty of people will be asking what would be the upside of one more term (because he can only get 4 more years max) and whether it's even worth it. The moment he's elected he'd be a lame duck. I think with his advancing age and with Biden's clear cognitive decline, a younger candidate will be able to make some inroads.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:32 am

No guarantee he'll be the nominee this time around. I think he's the initial leader (besides being the first with his hat officially in the ring) but there's still plenty of time between now and when voting starts in early 2024. I wouldn't put it past him to claim a health-related ailment as an excuse to get out of the race if it looks like he might not win. Heck, Ivanka already disavowed being part of this campaign, bound to be others as well. Plenty of people will be asking what would be the upside of one more term (because he can only get 4 more years max) and whether it's even worth it. The moment he's elected he'd be a lame duck. I think with his advancing age and with Biden's clear cognitive decline, a younger candidate will be able to make some inroads.
We’ll see. Still over half of R’s and 300 + candidates believe the big lie. That support isn't enough to win a general but is required for ANY candidate to win the primary.

He sucks the life out of every room and potential rival. If for some reason he were to lose the primary, he will run as an Indy. In his and his followers minds he’s never lost and has already won 2024. That’s his excuse.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:43 am

We’ll see. Still over half of R’s and 300 + candidates believe the big lie. That support isn't enough to win a general but is required for ANY candidate to win the primary.

He sucks the life out of every room and potential rival. If for some reason he were to lose the primary, he will run as an Indy. In his and his followers minds he’s never lost and has already won 2024. That’s his excuse.
I don't necessarily disagree, but you have to take current events into account as well. The GOP did lose the 2018 midterms, lost the 2020 elections, and only marginally won the 2022 midterms. And taking it further, the biggest losses were the ones involving Trump's biggest fingerprints. He's far more damaged now than he was when he took the GOP by storm in 2016. He truly sucked the life out of the room then, but he's gotten less and less overwhelming since then. And again, what's he running for? What does he hope to accomplish in just the one term he would have left? He's always been mostly about vanity, but this would be entirely about vanity. Other GOP opponents can use that - elect Donald and you just 4 tumultuous years and it puts the Dems in a good spot to win in 2028 (not to mention 2026 as well). Elect a stronger candidate now who's not term-limited and you get them as an incumbent in 2028. And 2024 already favors the GOP in the Senate - far more than 2022 where they were generally on the defensive. If they wanted to grab the Senate, 2024 is the year to do it.

As for the Indy route, the petulant side of him would certainly want to do that - it would be the perfect political temper tantrum should he not win the GOP nomination. But logistically, that could be difficult to do and to get on the ballot in many states at that late stage. And it would require significant effort, something Trump isn't really renowned for.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:00 am

I don't necessarily disagree, but you have to take current events into account as well. The GOP did lose the 2018 midterms, lost the 2020 elections, and only marginally won the 2022 midterms. And taking it further, the biggest losses were the ones involving Trump's biggest fingerprints. He's far more damaged now than he was when he took the GOP by storm in 2016. He truly sucked the life out of the room then, but he's gotten less and less overwhelming since then. And again, what's he running for? What does he hope to accomplish in just the one term he would have left? He's always been mostly about vanity, but this would be entirely about vanity. Other GOP opponents can use that - elect Donald and you just 4 tumultuous years and it puts the Dems in a good spot to win in 2028 (not to mention 2026 as well). Elect a stronger candidate now who's not term-limited and you get them as an incumbent in 2028. And 2024 already favors the GOP in the Senate - far more than 2022 where they were generally on the defensive. If they wanted to grab the Senate, 2024 is the year to do it.

As for the Indy route, the petulant side of him would certainly want to do that - it would be the perfect political temper tantrum should he not win the GOP nomination. But logistically, that could be difficult to do and to get on the ballot in many states at that late stage. And it would require significant effort, something Trump isn't really renowned for.
trump is much more damaged than he was in 2016. Corporate money is looking for other candidates and he's shown his true colors with his attacks on DeSantis and others. Some MAGAts have noticed and his base isn't as solid as it was in 2016 or 2020. He has proven himself to be amazingly resilient so I wouldn't count him out yet but it's going to be a much tougher slog in 2024 and he'll be 78 years old.

kalm should love him if he runs as an indy. He won't have any corporate backing and he'll be running a Katie Porter-like, grassroots campaign. :coffee:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 am

trump is much more damaged than he was in 2016. Corporate money is looking for other candidates and he's shown his true colors with his attacks on DeSantis and others. Some MAGAts have noticed and his base isn't as solid as it was in 2016 or 2020. He has proven himself to be amazingly resilient so I wouldn't count him out yet but it's going to be a much tougher slog in 2024 and he'll be 78 years old.

kalm should love him if he runs as an indy. He won't have any corporate backing and he'll be running a Katie Porter-like, grassroots campaign. :coffee:
The irony is Trump has always been kalmie's kind of guy when it came to trade and the economy - they both wanted to use tariffs as the main tool of trade and force other countries to make significant concessions just to access this market. I know no one has ever seen Trump and kalmie in the same room at the same time... just saying. :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:16 am

The irony is Trump has always been kalmie's kind of guy when it came to trade and the economy - they both wanted to use tariffs as the main tool of trade and force other countries to make significant concessions just to access this market. I know no one has ever seen Trump and kalmie in the same room at the same time... just saying. :rofl:
Yes on trade and tariffs as tool just like other countries have used similar protectionism. The difference being entrenching political power in the hands of global elites as well as tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations. As like competition.

I’m the real Trump!

:)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

All true but it’s still a numbers game. The nominee will need MAGA votes at some point to get through the primary.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

And since we’re on it…Ganny and ‘88 are the McConnells and Pelosi’s of this cycle.

Lol
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The left is clinging to that fantasy so they won’t have to face the prospect of getting steamrolled by Desantis. But Trump ain’t running as an Indy..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:25 pm And since we’re on it…Ganny and ‘88 are the McConnells and Pelosi’s of this cycle.

Lol
:dunce: Of today's politicians, I'm Justin Amash.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:25 pm And since we’re on it…Ganny and ‘88 are the McConnells and Pelosi’s of this cycle.

Lol
Nah, I'm the Angus King around here. :nod:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:45 am
houndawg wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:23 am

Yes,I get what you're saying but: what is the theory, stated? I have never heard this "theory" stated in words or print - most theories can be stated in words or print or mathmaticaly
Stop trying to deflect attention by asking for a definition of the theory while avoiding the examples of how it is being taught improperly in schools. You can review the CRT thread for those examples.

Teachers should be teaching students to think, not telling them what to think.
You're the one deflecting. You say its a theory - state the theory -instead of copping out with "I know it when I see it" bullshit
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:23 pm

Lol
Right State, wrong Senator :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:53 pm He‘s running.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/donald ... -president

DeSantis would be smart to shut the fuck up and "govern" Florida for a term before running for President.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:52 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:45 am
Stop trying to deflect attention by asking for a definition of the theory while avoiding the examples of how it is being taught improperly in schools. You can review the CRT thread for those examples.

Teachers should be teaching students to think, not telling them what to think.
You're the one deflecting. You say its a theory - state the theory -instead of copping out with "I know it when I see it" bullshit
:rofl: You defend and deflect as well as BDK. Are you going to accuse me of having CRTDS?

The definition of CRT has evolved in an attempt to make it more palatable to the general public. I also didn't state the theory because individuals are taking it upon themselves to define CRT as they see fit and teach it in schools. There are examples of that in the CRT thread. Trying to limit the debate to the current definition of CRT while ignoring examples of how it's actually been taught in schools is deflecting.

We Need an Honest Conversation about Teaching Social Justice in Public Schools
And, quite often, anti‐​CRT activism sounds like a right‐​wing version of the “safe space” mentality conservatives have long ridiculed among the “snowflake” left.

For example, anti‐​CRT parents in a Tennessee school district objected to the book Ruby Bridges Goes to School, written by the famed activist Ruby Bridges about her experience as the first Black child at a previously all‐​white New Orleans school in 1960—apparently because a reference to a “large crowd of angry white people who didn’t want Black children in a white school” was deemed too harsh.

It’s almost as if some conservatives are intent on living up to the “white fragility” stereotype of white people who feel threatened by any discussion of racism in America.

And yet it’s no less true that the anti‐​CRT backlash has exposed some pretty toxic elements—at least if you believe that awareness of racism, historical or ongoing, should not include essentializing individuals on the basis of race.
Again, teachers should be teaching students to think, not telling them what to think.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:55 pm

I'm afraid DeSantis will kick Biden or any other Democrat's ass so I pray to my big government gods that he shuts the fuck up and "governs" Florida for another term before running for President.
FYP :D
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:53 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:23 pm

Right State, wrong Senator :coffee:
Nah, I got it right, thanks for playing though. :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:29 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:55 pm

I'm afraid DeSantis will kick Biden or any other Democrat's ass so I pray to my big government gods that he shuts the fuck up and "governs" Florida for another term before running for President.
FYP :D
I’m glad DeSantis isn’t big government.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:26 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:52 pm

:rofl: You defend and deflect as well as BDK. Are you going to accuse me of having CRTDS?

The definition of CRT has evolved in an attempt to make it more palatable to the general public. I also didn't state the theory because individuals are taking it upon themselves to define CRT as they see fit and teach it in schools. There are examples of that in the CRT thread. Trying to limit the debate to the current definition of CRT while ignoring examples of how it's actually been taught in schools is deflecting.

We Need an Honest Conversation about Teaching Social Justice in Public Schools
And, quite often, anti‐​CRT activism sounds like a right‐​wing version of the “safe space” mentality conservatives have long ridiculed among the “snowflake” left.

For example, anti‐​CRT parents in a Tennessee school district objected to the book Ruby Bridges Goes to School, written by the famed activist Ruby Bridges about her experience as the first Black child at a previously all‐​white New Orleans school in 1960—apparently because a reference to a “large crowd of angry white people who didn’t want Black children in a white school” was deemed too harsh.

It’s almost as if some conservatives are intent on living up to the “white fragility” stereotype of white people who feel threatened by any discussion of racism in America.

And yet it’s no less true that the anti‐​CRT backlash has exposed some pretty toxic elements—at least if you believe that awareness of racism, historical or ongoing, should not include essentializing individuals on the basis of race.
Again, teachers should be teaching students to think, not telling them what to think.
I agree with this