Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: 2024 Primary

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:37 am
houndawg wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:14 am

Much more likely that he'd be voting against the Republican candidate. :coffee:
:nod:

With a few caveats. A reasonable Republican versus Hillary for example….and depending on congressional make up.
You are so predictable. :lol:

You and me are on the opposite sides of the same coin. Without meeting certain caveats, I will never vote for a D in a national election. Just like you will never vote R in a national election based on similar but opposite caveats.

The truth is no candidate will meet those caveats so we can "appear" to be reasonable. :kisswink:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:55 am
kalm wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:37 am

:nod:

With a few caveats. A reasonable Republican versus Hillary for example….and depending on congressional make up.

You and me are on the opposite sides of the same coin. Without meeting certain caveats, I will never vote for a D in a national election. Just like you will never vote R in a national election based on similar but opposite caveats.

The truth is no candidate will meet those caveats so we can "appear" to be reasonable. :kisswink:
Gore Bush was a toss up so I voted for Nader. :mrgreen:

I voted for the most conservative candidate in 2012 and 2016.

Let me guess…the current Democratic Party has pushed you further away? :mrgreen:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:16 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:55 am

Gore Bush was a toss up so I voted for Nader. :mrgreen:

I voted for the most conservative candidate in 2012 and 2016.

Let me guess…the current Democratic Party has pushed you further away? :mrgreen:
So Romney and Johnson? :D

They can't push away what they never had. :thumb: I watch voting records and not sound bites. Pretty easy to see/smell the BS when one reads the actual bills they are voting on and follow their stock portfolios (that goes for R's as well).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:07 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:28 pm I don't know, that's a pretty crappy list too. I would guess that there are quite a few independent types that would rather stay home then vote for Trump or one of his thin-skinned vindictive lickspittles.

Appeal to the MAGAt base: Pompeo, Cruz, Trump Jr., DeSantis, Trump
Appeal to independents and traditional Republicans: Sununu, Haley
Possibly appeal to both: Youngkin, Scott
Not sure who they appeal to: Pence
I do not disagree, but another 2 1/2 years of Biden/Dems continuing like they have been is going to change peoples perspective a bit I think. No matter what happens this fall, Biden (and thereby the Dems) are going to take the blame for inflation, high gas prices, etc. and the R's are going to run that message all the way to the fall of 2024. Granted the 25th amendment could be invoked for Biden or he steps down (don't see it as a realistic chance but it is possible) and the D's could pivot to a more moderate stance (also do not see this happening) so things could change, as 2 1/2 years is a long time in the political world. I also think the Dems will keep Biden under wraps as long as possible and bury his deteriorating condition until they absolutely can't anymore. This is either going to allow them to pretend all is well or spectacularly blow up in their face when he slips his handlers and does/says something stupid on camera that they can't explain away.

That said the only one that is some what interesting to me is DeSantis but that depends if sticks his course or not (if he does than probably not).
  • Sununu is not going to run
  • Haley is a strong possibility but I have voiced my thoughts on her here before
  • Youngkin does not have the experience
  • Cruz is an idiot and nobody really likes him but he will try just for the title of former presidential candidate
  • Scott is an outside possibility
  • Trump Jr. is not going to run and the only reason his name is on the list is his dad
  • Pence does not have the name nor pull
  • Trump strong possibility but the Dems would have to crater even further for him to win
  • Pompeo is a good chance to run but he will not make it out of the first round
Some of the above will throw their hat in the ring but the only people that have a serious shot are Trump, DeSantis, and Haley. Out of those three, I might go DeSantis but it depends on his actions in the next 2 1/2 years, but strong odds are I go third party again.
Why won't Youngkin have the experience in a couple of years? I would argue that 2 years as a governor is better experience then 10+ years as a Congresscritter.

I can't vote for DeSantis. He's shown himself to be a vindictive, thin-skinned little b!tch who is more concerned with scoring points then actual leadership. I also can't vote for any Trump or any of his minions either.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:57 am
Why won't Youngkin have the experience in a couple of years? I would argue that 2 years as a governor is better experience then 10+ years as a Congresscritter.

I can't vote for DeSantis. He's shown himself to be a vindictive, thin-skinned little b!tch who is more concerned with scoring points then actual leadership. I also can't vote for any Trump or any of his minions either.

Two years is not long enough in any leadership job to understand how everything works. A Governor is like a CEO and I would not take a 2 year CEO at a small firm and hire them for the same position at a Fortune 500 company.

I agree Governorship is better than any Congresscritter, but 2 years (for me) is not long enough for arguable one of the highest positions in our Government. He does have 25 years as Co-CEO for the Carlyle Group (revenue of about 2.9 Billion) which is respectable. My sweet spot would be two terms of Governor, so he has a bit of a track record to go off of. Right now, he is a bit unknown.

As for DeSantis, I can understand your position and agree with it. For me (I am going to pull a Kalm caveat here :D ) it depends on how the next two years shake out and if he distances himself from Trump or not. And for the record I do not think he or Trump like each other. He is just a more articulate version of Trump. :twocents:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 am

Two years is not long enough in any leadership job to understand how everything works. A Governor is like a CEO and I would not take a 2 year CEO at a small firm and hire them for the same position at a Fortune 500 company.

I agree Governorship is better than any Congresscritter, but 2 years (for me) is not long enough for arguable one of the highest positions in our Government. He does have 25 years as Co-CEO for the Carlyle Group (revenue of about 2.9 Billion) which is respectable. My sweet spot would be two terms of Governor, so he has a bit of a track record to go off of. Right now, he is a bit unknown.

As for DeSantis, I can understand your position and agree with it. For me (I am going to pull a Kalm caveat here :D ) it depends on how the next two years shake out and if he distances himself from Trump or not. And for the record I do not think he or Trump like each other. He is just a more articulate version of Trump. :twocents:
I don't disagree with that. What do the other candidates bring to the table? Put this together quickly so there could be errors:
  • Mike Pompeo - a couple years as a Congresscritter, cup of coffee as CIA Director then SecState
  • Chris Sununu - 8 years as governor of a small state
  • Glenn Youngkin - couple of years as governor of a larger state plus CEO experience
  • Ted Boobs Cruz - Congresscritter :oops:
  • Tim Scott - Congresscritter :oops:
  • Donald Trump Jr. - a lifetime of experience hanging on to his father's coattails
  • Mike Pence - 12 years as a Congresscritter, 4 years as governor of medium state, 4 years as VP
  • Nikki Haley - 6 years as governor of a medium state, couple of years as ambassador to the UN
  • Ron DeSantis 6 years as a Congresscritter, 4+ years as governor of large state
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:52 am
I don't disagree with that. What do the other candidates bring to the table? Put this together quickly so there could be errors:
  • Mike Pompeo - a couple years as a Congresscritter, cup of coffee as CIA Director then SecState
  • Glenn Youngkin - couple of years as governor of a larger state plus CEO experience
  • Donald Trump Jr. - a lifetime of experience hanging on to his father's coattails
  • Mike Pence - 12 years as a Congresscritter, 4 years as governor of medium state, 4 years as VP
  • Nikki Haley - 6 years as governor of a medium state, couple of years as ambassador to the UN
  • Ron DeSantis 6 years as a Congresscritter, 4+ years as governor of large state
Seems about right according to my memory.

DeSantis and Haley have the most experience, followed by Pence and Youngkin. The rest are nothing special (and I could argue their "qualifications" would disqualify them). One could argue Youngkin could be in the first group (like you did earlier) and I do not think they would be wrong. He, IMHO, is in a grey area due to his longevity in his CEO role.

The WP article was pure click bait and probably a response to the Democratic article that was posted on here earlier (cant remember who published that). The only reason the media is talking about the 2024 election, is because Biden is doing abysmal right now and this is a distraction (along with we have now entered the never ending campaign trail for political office) from what is currently going on economically.

I treat the entire political sphere (and this includes the media) as one big Go game. Wheels within wheels and nothing is what it seems.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:01 pm WaPo's Top 10 GOP presidential candidates for 2024, ranked

Who can appeal to the base and independents?
Anybody on that list except #1.
I don't even know who #9 is. :lol: :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:13 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 pm
Anybody on that list except #1.
Current governor of NH, son of former NH Governor and White House Chief of Staff John Sununu.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 am

Tim Scott only has Congressional experience and it's only 10 years or so. But he's black and a Republican. That's some serious optics that could be used against the Dems.

Haley is a non-white, 1st generation American woman. That's a lot of boxes checked off to prove that the GOP is more than a party of old white men. Plus, she's still very popular in this state and popular with a lot of indy's and Democrats. She showed some independence and ablity to stand up to Trump and that's to her credit. Also, she wasn't really part of the Washington DC crowd given her role up in NYC.

Trump, Jr has as much chance to become POTUS as I have at becoming the starting forward for the Knicks.

DeSantis has a chance but he's proven himself to be Trump 2.0 and that isn't a complement.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:17 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:13 am

Current governor of NH, son of former NH Governor and White House Chief of Staff John Sununu.
Oh....he's nobody.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 am
Tim Scott only has Congressional experience and it's only 10 years or so. But he's black and a Republican. That's some serious optics that could be used against the Dems.

Haley is a non-white, 1st generation American woman. That's a lot of boxes checked off to prove that the GOP is more than a party of old white men. Plus, she's still very popular in this state and popular with a lot of indy's and Democrats. She showed some independence and ablity to stand up to Trump and that's to her credit. Also, she wasn't really part of the Washington DC crowd given her role up in NYC.

Trump, Jr has as much chance to become POTUS as I have at becoming the starting forward for the Knicks.

DeSantis has a chance but he's proven himself to be Trump 2.0 and that isn't a complement.
Agree on Scott and Haley. I remember Fiver not liking Haley at all and would guess that BDK and other hardcore MAGAts feel the same. Not sure how the base feels about Scott.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

I do not disagree, but another 2 1/2 years of Biden/Dems continuing like they have been is going to change peoples perspective a bit I think. No matter what happens this fall, Biden (and thereby the Dems) are going to take the blame for inflation, high gas prices, etc. and the R's are going to run that message all the way to the fall of 2024. Granted the 25th amendment could be invoked for Biden or he steps down (don't see it as a realistic chance but it is possible) and the D's could pivot to a more moderate stance (also do not see this happening) so things could change, as 2 1/2 years is a long time in the political world. I also think the Dems will keep Biden under wraps as long as possible and bury his deteriorating condition until they absolutely can't anymore. This is either going to allow them to pretend all is well or spectacularly blow up in their face when he slips his handlers and does/says something stupid on camera that they can't explain away.

That said the only one that is some what interesting to me is DeSantis but that depends if sticks his course or not (if he does than probably not).
  • Haley is a strong possibility but I have voiced my thoughts on her here before
  • Cruz is an idiot and nobody really likes him but he will try just for the title of former presidential candidate
  • Trump Jr. is not going to run and the only reason his name is on the list is his dad
  • Trump strong possibility but the Dems would have to crater even further for him to win
Some of the above will throw their hat in the ring but the only people that have a serious shot are Trump, DeSantis, and Haley. Out of those three, I might go DeSantis but it depends on his actions in the next 2 1/2 years, but strong odds are I go third party again.

:lol: :lol: What happened? Did Rip Van Winkle just wake up and discover that DeSantis is a politician? :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

If the Republican nominee is Desantis, Haley, Scott, Youngkin, Cruz, Crenshaw, or any of another half dozen or so, I’ll definitely be voting Rep.

If it’s Trump, I’ll be voting against the Dem candidate—given that I’m certain it’ll be either Biden or Harris.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:33 am

:lol: :lol: What happened? Did Rip Van Winkle just wake up and discover that DeSantis is a pussie? :lol:
Yep. :lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:37 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:33 am

:lol: :lol: What happened? Did Rip Van Winkle just wake up and discover that DeSantis is a pussie? :lol:
Well I think that’s a pretty petty reason not to vote for someone, vs the other guy/gal who’s trying to drive the caddy off the cliff….

Of course, in Oregon you can vote your conscience and it won’t matter because if you don’t vote Donk, your vote doesn’t count.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:30 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 am

Agree on Scott and Haley. I remember Fiver not liking Haley at all and would guess that BDK and other hardcore MAGAts feel the same. Not sure how the base feels about Scott.
Fiver and I have similar views on Haley (she both stood up initially to Trump and then kissed the ring so to speak later on). My issue with her predates that back-n-forth.

Optics on both Scott and Haley are good like Ibanez mentioned. And Scott has not really popped up in any conversation with my Republican friends (some are well connected to the party here in ND). In fact most would ask you "Who?" if you mentioned his name. He is an unknown to most of the R base outside of hard core political junkies and the his home area. He has potential, but what that potential is the only thing I could do is speculate (I think it is higher than Haley).

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:39 am

Well I think that’s a pretty petty reason not to vote for someone, vs the other guy/gal who’s trying to drive the Chevy off the cliff….

Of course, in Oregon you can vote your conscience and it won’t matter because if you don’t vote Donk, your vote doesn’t count.
FYP ;)
Spoiler: show
Caddies do not have the longevity to be used as a comparison to the U.S.. :)

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Well I think that’s a pretty petty reason not to vote for someone, vs the other guy/gal who’s trying to drive the caddy off the cliff….

Petty? I think DeSantis is petty and I'm tired of children in the White House. We need someone who doesn't lash out like an 8 or 80 y/o throwing a tantrum because they're not getting their way.

And you are correct about my vote.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:50 am

Petty? I think DeSantis is petty and I'm tired of children in the White House. We need someone who doesn't lash out like an 8 or 80 y/o throwing a tantrum because they're not getting their way.

He’s a politician. And he’s 10x more mature than anyone on the Donk side and certainly Trump.

Newsflash: Appeasement as a strategy does NOT. WORK. We’ve tried it long enough. DeSantis fights back…perhaps you see that as petty, I see it it’s standing your ground and not taking shit like we have and letting donks control the narrative for the past 13 years.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Now you care about petty behavior? :lol:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:28 pm

I don't know, that's a pretty crappy list too. I would guess that there are quite a few independent types that would rather stay home then vote for Trump or one of his thin-skinned vindictive lickspittles.

Appeal to the MAGAt base: Pompeo, Cruz, Trump Jr., DeSantis, Trump
Appeal to independents and traditional Republicans: Sununu, Haley
Possibly appeal to both: Youngkin, Scott
Not sure who they appeal to: Pence

I disagree. Remember without the China Virus hitting in late winter 2020, in the fall of 2020 you have:
-Economy roaring.
-Biden would have to have had to come out of his basement to campaign.
-No mass mail in of ballots in almost all states, most for the 1st time.

Without Covid, Trump wins in a landslide. And even with Covid, without the MSM & big tech supressing the Hunter laptop story in Oct 20’ with the its Russian disinfo hoax, Trump wins (would have had to only flip roughly 40k votes in GA, WI, and AZ, a fraction of 1% for 269-269 EC tie, which Trump would have won in the House).

2024 Trump would beat
-Biden (who will be full blown dementia by then,
-Kamala (lol),
-Hillary (lol).

The donks can’t run Buttajudge (blacks won’t vote for a gay male).

So the donks don’t have to crater even further for Trump to win, but they have to come up with someone outside of the above 4 names.

But I hope Desantis runs. He’ll clean the clock of anyone that could win a dem primary.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed May 04, 2022 11:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:50 am

He’s a politician. And he’s 10x more mature than anyone on the Donk side and certainly Trump.

Newsflash: Appeasement as a strategy does NOT. WORK. We’ve tried it long enough. DeSantis fights back…perhaps you see that as petty, I see it it’s standing your ground and not taking shit like we have and letting donks control the narrative for the past 13 years.
There's a difference between acting petty and standing your ground and fighting back against BS.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:14 am

I disagree. Remeber without the China Virus hitting in late winter 2020, in the fall of 2020 you have:
-Economy roaring
-Biden would have to have had to come out of his basement to campaign

Without Covid, Trump wins in a landslide. And even with Covid, without the MSM & big tech supressing the Hunter laptop story in Oct 20’ with the its Russian disinfo hoax, Trump wins (would have had to only flip roughly 40k votes in GA, WI, and AZ, a TINY fraction of 1% for 269-269 EC tie, which Trump would have won in the House).

2024 Trump would beat
-Kamala (lol),
-Hillary (lol).

So the donks don’t have to crater even further for Trump to win, but they have to come up with someone outside of the above 4 names.
Biden, Kamala and Hillary..who is the 4th? :suspicious:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:16 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:14 am
I disagree. Remeber without the China Virus hitting in late winter 2020, in the fall of 2020 you have:
-Economy roaring
-Biden would have to have had to come out of his basement to campaign

Without Covid, Trump wins in a landslide. And even with Covid, without the MSM & big tech supressing the Hunter laptop story in Oct 20’ with the its Russian disinfo hoax, Trump wins (would have had to only flip roughly 40k votes in GA, WI, and AZ, a TINY fraction of 1% for 269-269 EC tie, which Trump would have won in the House).

2024 Trump would beat
-Kamala (lol),
-Hillary (lol).

Biden, Kamala and Hillary..who is the 4th? :suspicious:
I imagine Buttigieg.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation