Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: 2024 Primary

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:07 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:18 am
Lol Desantis isn’t running for cover- he’s punching back. The old way of doing business when R’s would just show up and get punched in the face by the media, and just give some weak response in return, that’s going to work with Desantis, because he’s going to punch back, and harder.

And Mitchell’s response earlier in the week wasn’t an apology, and she’s still lying..
That appeals to the MAGAt base. Let's see how it plays with moderates in a general election. trump being a bully who prioritized loyalty over electability cost Republicans the senate in 2022. trump's candidacy is forcing DeSantis to be more petulant and vindictive to compete in the primaries but doing so will hurt his chances in the general election.
Wrong Lol. Desantis is acting no differently now than he has in the last couple of years, and he won re-election by almost TWENTY in what was suppose to be a swing state..

If its Desantis summer/fall of 2024 vs an 81 close to 82 year old even more demented Joe, Desantis will destroy him, acting no differently than he is now.. :nod:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:15 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:07 am
That appeals to the MAGAt base. Let's see how it plays with moderates in a general election. trump being a bully who prioritized loyalty over electability cost Republicans the senate in 2022. trump's candidacy is forcing DeSantis to be more petulant and vindictive to compete in the primaries but doing so will hurt his chances in the general election.
Wrong Lol. Desantis is acting no differently now than he has in the last couple of years, and he won re-election by almost TWENTY in what was suppose to be a swing state..

If its Desantis summer/fall of 2024 vs an 81 close to 82 year old even more demented Joe, Desantis will destroy him, acting no differently than he is now.. :nod:
Wrong. Moderates don't like loud-mouthed bullies. The actions that DeSantis takes to beat trump in a primary will hurt him in the general election. He might win but it will be closer than it should be against a senile old man because the right, like the left, eats its own.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:36 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:15 pm

Wrong. Moderates don't like loud-mouthed bullies. The actions that DeSantis takes to beat trump in a primary will hurt him in the general election. He might win but it will be closer than it should be against a senile old man because the right, like the left, eats its own.
Wrong, because what Desantis is doing, and has been doing, isn’t being a loud mouth bully. Moderates in Florida voted OVERWHELMINGLY for Desantis, who has been doing for years what you falsely label as being a loud mouthed bully.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:56 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:36 pm
Wrong, because what Desantis is doing, and has been doing, isn’t being a loud mouth bully. Moderates in Florida voted OVERWHELMINGLY for Desantis, who has been doing for years what you falsely label as being a loud-mouthed bully.
Moderates in battleground states are not necessarily the same as moderates in Florida. DeSantis or trump would win Florida. The question is how will this play in the battleground states. I don't think it will play as well as you think it will.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:00 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:56 pm
Wrong, because what Desantis is doing, and has been doing, isn’t being a loud mouth bully. Moderates in Florida voted OVERWHELMINGLY for Desantis, who has been doing for years what you falsely label as being a loud-mouthed bully.
Moderates in battleground states are not necessarily the same as moderates in Florida. DeSantis or trump would win Florida. The question is how will this play in the battleground states. I don't think it will play as well as you think it will.
The reason you have solid blue and red states is because of the make up in the percentage of Ds and Rs within those states. Those voters that fall into the ‘moderates’ or independents might be different perecentages of the electorates in those different states, but I don’t believe the moderates/independents in FL are much different than they are in the 6 battleground states that will basically decide the election: GA, PA, MI, WI, AZ, and NV. If it plays well in FL, it will play well enough in those 6 others.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:57 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:00 pm

The reason you have solid blue and red states is because of the make up in the percentage of Ds and Rs within those states. Those voters that fall into the ‘moderates’ or independents might be different perecentages of the electorates in those different states, but I don’t believe the moderates/independents in FL are much different than they are in the 6 battleground states that will basically decide the election: GA, PA, MI, WI, AZ, and NV. If it plays well in FL, it will play well enough in those 6 others.
you are entitled to your own incorrect beliefs, of course.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:36 am
As you are to yours unless you can produce evidence to the contrary.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Easy Houndy, BDKalmR isn't alone in wanting to believe that most people agree with their views and opinions.

It is easy to see that moderate independents don't like loudmouthed bullies just by looking at the results of the 2022 mid-term elections. What was supposed to be a red tsunami turned into a red kiddy pool wave because moderate independents rejected the head loudmouthed bully and his candidates. Dr. Oz lost to a recovering stroke victim in Pennsylvania. A UGA football star lost in Georgia. Masters (and Lake) lost in Arizona.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:05 pm

Easy Houndy, BDKalmR isn't alone in wanting to believe that most people agree with their views and opinions.

It is easy to see that moderate independents don't like loudmouthed bullies just by looking at the results of the 2022 mid-term elections. What was supposed to be a red tsunami turned into a red kiddy pool wave because moderate independents rejected the head loudmouthed bully and his candidates. Dr. Oz lost to a recovering stroke victim in Pennsylvania. A UGA football star lost in Georgia. Masters (and Lake) lost in Arizona.
Irrelevant. Try to stay on topic here. We were talking about Desantis. That loud mouth bully as you called him cleaned house in a battleground state, doing very well with independents.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2024 Primaries

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:12 pm

Irrelevant. Try to stay on topic here. We were talking about Desantis. That loud mouth bully as you called him cleaned house in a battleground state, doing very well with independents.
I am on topic, you're just having trouble keeping up. DeSantis has done well with independents in Florida but he's going to have to be louder and angrier to compete with trump in the Presidential primaries. If he wins the nomination, he's going to have to backtrack considerably on those statements/positions or they will hurt him with moderate independents in the battleground states in the general election. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who likes to backtrack publicly.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:31 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:12 pm
I am on topic, you're just having trouble keeping up. DeSantis has done well with independents in Florida but he's going to have to be louder and angrier to compete with trump in the Presidential primaries. If he wins the nomination, he's going to have to backtrack considerably on those statements/positions or they will hurt him with moderate independents in the battleground states in the general election. He doesn't seem like the kind of person who likes to backtrack publicly.
Not when you brought up Oz, Lake, Walker, etc when we were talking about Desantis..
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

I do take your point although the analogy is a bit loose - abortion played a huge part in the red kiddie pool wave....I tried so hard to explain to SG before the election that was going to happen but he wasn't having any in spite of the Kansas vote staring him in the face. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

houndawg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:50 am

I do take your point although the analogy is a bit loose - abortion played a huge part in the red kiddie pool wave....I tried so hard to explain to SG before the election that was going to happen but he wasn't having any in spite of the Kansas vote staring him in the face. :ohno:
The Texas abortion pill case with the bat shit crazy judge is supposed to hit this week.

The continued gift of Trump appointments.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:41 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:31 pm
Not when you brought up Oz, Lake, Walker, etc when we were talking about Desantis..
Are you dense? They're examples of what happens to loudmouth bully candidates in battleground states.

Now you're going to argue that DeSantis isn't a loudmouthed bully. I would argue that he is and that he will need to be even more of one in order to beat trump for the nomination. trump and primary pressures will pull him further toward MAGAtism and that will hurt him in the general election. He might still win but it, like the 2022 mid-terms, will not be as easy as you think.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:30 am
Are you dense? They're examples of what happens to loudmouth bully candidates in battleground states.

Now you're going to argue that DeSantis isn't a loudmouthed bully. I would argue that he is and that he will need to be even more of one in order to beat trump for the nomination. trump and primary pressures will pull him further toward MAGAtism and that will hurt him in the general election. He might still win but it, like the 2022 mid-terms, will not be as easy as you think.
:nod:

And that’s IF he doesn’t crumble under Trump’s insults first.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

So what you’re saying:
-Loud mouthed bullies can’t win in battleground states.
-Desantis is a loud mouthed bully.
Yet Desantis just cleaned house by 20 in a battleground state, including among independents. :lol:
Seems like you’re the one who is dense…

And if you want to say Florida isn’t a battleground state, true for 2024, but it was in 2016 & 2020, and its no longer in large part because of Desantis.

And another thing. Walker isn’t a loud mouthed bully. Just not too bright. And Oz isn’t a loudmouthed bully. Maybe a little eccentric. The reason the conks lost in PA is becauae Oz got drug down by the gov candidate + the donks are killing them with early mass mail in (new in PA) & ballot harvesting. Conks have to step tbat up big time (they did in FL) to have any chance in PA. Otherwise won’t matter who they run..
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:08 am

So what you’re saying:
Yet Desantis just cleaned house by 20 in a battleground state, including among independents. :lol:

And if you want to say Florida isn’t a battleground state, true for 2024, but it was in 2016 & 2020, and its no longer in large part because of Desantis.

And another thing. Walker isn’t a loud mouthed bully. Just not too bright. And Oz isn’t a loudmouthed bully. Maybe a little eccentric. The reason the conks lost in PA is becauae Oz got drug down by the gov candidate + the donks are killing them with early mass mail in (new in PA) & ballot harvesting. Conks have to step tbat up big time (they did in FL) to have any chance in PA. Otherwise won’t matter who they run..
Did I specifically say that loudmouthed bullies can't win in battleground states? No, I didn't. I gave examples of candidates who were backed by the chief loudmouthed bully who lost in battleground states as examples of why DeSantis could struggle in those states. DeSantis is becoming more and more of a loud-mouthed bully as time progresses. He is doing this to appeal to the MAGAt right (who love immature politicians who pwn the libs) to help win the nomination but I think this will hurt him in the general election.

To summarize - it isn't just about who DeSantis has been, it's about who he has to be to win the nomination and how that persona will play in battleground states in the general election.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

So what you’re saying:

No need to muddy the water with early mass mail-in or ballot harvesting in PA. That's not an issue costing the GOP elections in PA, it comes down entirely to candidates. Oz wasn't a great candidate, and you're right, the disastrous GOP gubernatorial candidate had a huge negative impact as well. If Toomey had run again, even with Mastriano on the governor ticket, the GOP would've won. Run good candidates, avoid the lunatic candidates, and the GOP can win in PA. Doesn't sound like that hard of a pull but somehow they keep finding the whackos. They'll get another chance whenever Fetterman finally decides he physically can't do the job and that seat opens up again.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

This just in. DeSantis is going to make the rest of America like Florida.

Guess I was wrong about him. He’s a uniter!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:41 am This just in. DeSantis is going to make the rest of America like Florida.

What power does he have to export old, really slow and poor drivers from Florida to the rest of the nation? Those old people aren't going to want to move back to the colder states they came from. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:45 am
kalm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:41 am This just in. DeSantis is going to make the rest of America like Florida.

What power does he have to export old, really slow and poor drivers from Florida to the rest of the nation? Those old people aren't going to want to move back to the colder states they came from. :coffee:
But will his "Don't Say Gay" bill really make it illegal to throw colored streamers at football games?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:18 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:45 am

But will his "Don't Say Gay" bill really make it illegal to throw colored streamers at football games?
Or wear white knee high boots?
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

So what you’re saying:

Both. He bullied his girlfriend into getting an abortion
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:08 am
So what you’re saying:

No need to muddy the water with early mass mail-in or ballot harvesting in PA. That's not an issue costing the GOP elections in PA, it comes down entirely to candidates. Oz wasn't a great candidate, and you're right, the disastrous GOP gubernatorial candidate had a huge negative impact as well. If Toomey had run again, even with Mastriano on the governor ticket, the GOP would've won. Run good candidates, avoid the lunatic candidates, and the GOP can win in PA. Doesn't sound like that hard of a pull but somehow they keep finding the whackos. They'll get another chance whenever Fetterman finally decides he physically can't do the job and that seat opens up again.
Its absolutely costing conks at least a couple of points, so its absolutely costing them in close elections. 2020 Biden won PA by 1.17% If had been running 2020 election under 2016 rules Trump wins.

2022 a large chunk of early (mostly drop off/mail in) had already been cast before Fetterman's disasterous debate performance. If McCormick wins that primary over Oz (that he lost by a fraction of 1%), it would have been closer race between McCormick/Fetterman, but I doubt McCormick wins. Course we'll never know for sure. Yeah, if Toomey had run again, he probably wins, buts its close, closer than it would be under the old rules.

Conks in PA (applies to other states too with newly enacted mass mail in) unfortunately will have to stop fighting no excuse absentee mass mail in/drop off, and encourage it during elections because it beats day of in person as far as turnout. I don't like it, but you have to take full advantage of the rules in place. You always have some people who intended to vote day of in person, but they forget, or were too busy, didn't get around to it, yada, yada. Might only be a small percentage, but that can be the difference maker in close elections.

Conks also need to do what donks have done the last 2 elections. Late summer/early fall go before large gatherings, esp where you have a lot of working class/blue collar, where a clear majority are either registered conks, or conk leaning (guns shows, auto racing, rodeos, country music concerts (certain artists anyway), etc), and have them fill out & submit absentee applications (online or mail). Sure some of those people would otherwise vote anyway, be it in person or mail, and some won't bother to fill out and mail/drop off the ballot they are mailed, but conks would definitely pick up votes on the margins and boost their turnout..
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:03 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:08 am

Its absolutely costing conks at least a couple of points, so its absolutely costing them in close elections. 2020 Biden won PA by 1.17% If had been running 2020 election under 2016 rules Trump wins.

2022 a large chunk of early (mostly drop off/mail in) had already been cast before Fetterman's disasterous debate performance. If McCormick wins that primary over Oz (that he lost by a fraction of 1%), it would have been closer race between McCormick/Fetterman, but I doubt McCormick wins. Course we'll never know for sure. Yeah, if Toomey had run again, he probably wins, buts its close, closer than it would be under the old rules.

Conks in PA (applies to other states too with newly enacted mass mail in) unfortunately will have to stop fighting no excuse absentee mass mail in/drop off, and encourage it during elections because it beats day of in person as far as turnout. I don't like it, but you have to take full advantage of the rules in place. You always have some people who intended to vote day of in person, but they forget, or were too busy, didn't get around to it, yada, yada. Might only be a small percentage, but that can be the difference maker in close elections.

Conks also need to do what donks have done the last 2 elections. Late summer/early fall go before large gatherings, esp where you have a lot of working class/blue collar, where a clear majority are either registered conks, or conk leaning (guns shows, auto racing, rodeos, country music concerts (certain artists anyway), etc), and have them fill out & submit absentee applications (online or mail). Sure some of those people would otherwise vote anyway, be it in person or mail, and some won't bother to fill out and mail/drop off the ballot they are mailed, but conks would definitely pick up votes on the margins and boost their turnout..
I think McCormick probably does win, just a better candidate. And the ballots didn't have anything to do with the fact that the real thing that hurt Oz, other than his attachment to Trump and other than the abominable candidate running for governor, was that he didn't make Fetterman's health and resistance to debate a bigger issue soon enough.

Other than that, though, making things easier for people to vote (i.e. no excuse mail in voting) is never a bad thing, assuming they are controlled and counted properly. We want people to vote, and we want more people to vote. Trying to get less people to vote is not really a good goal to have.