Political discussions
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: 2024 Primary

Post by houndawg »

The people that didn't want Ruby Bridges in their school don't want their grandchildren to know how they behaved
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:06 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:29 pm
FYP :D
I’m glad DeSantis isn’t big government.
Worshippers of the big government gods believe DeSantis is a demon.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:21 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:06 pm

I’m glad DeSantis isn’t big government.
And anti big government conservatives think he’s the cats meow when it comes to big government.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:24 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:21 pm
And anti big government conservatives think he’s the cats meow when it comes to big government.
Who cares what those Demon worshippers think? They probably want to fund the police, jail criminals, cleanup homeless sites and reduce dependence on the government. :coffee:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:26 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:52 pm

You're the one deflecting. You say its a theory - state the theory -instead of copping out with "I know it when I see it" bullshit
:rofl: You defend and deflect as well as BDK. Are you going to accuse me of having CRTDS?

The definition of CRT has evolved in an attempt to make it more palatable to the general public. I also didn't state the theory because individuals are taking it upon themselves to define CRT as they see fit and teach it in schools. There are examples of that in the CRT thread. Trying to limit the debate to the current definition of CRT while ignoring examples of how it's actually been taught in schools is deflecting.

We Need an Honest Conversation about Teaching Social Justice in Public Schools
And, quite often, anti‐​CRT activism sounds like a right‐​wing version of the “safe space” mentality conservatives have long ridiculed among the “snowflake” left.

For example, anti‐​CRT parents in a Tennessee school district objected to the book Ruby Bridges Goes to School, written by the famed activist Ruby Bridges about her experience as the first Black child at a previously all‐​white New Orleans school in 1960—apparently because a reference to a “large crowd of angry white people who didn’t want Black children in a white school” was deemed too harsh.

It’s almost as if some conservatives are intent on living up to the “white fragility” stereotype of white people who feel threatened by any discussion of racism in America.

And yet it’s no less true that the anti‐​CRT backlash has exposed some pretty toxic elements—at least if you believe that awareness of racism, historical or ongoing, should not include essentializing individuals on the basis of race.
]Again, teachers should be teaching students to think, not telling them what to think.
That's Rupert Murdoch's job...
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:29 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:24 pm

Who cares what those Demon worshippers think? They probably want to fund the police, jail criminals, cleanup homeless sites and reduce dependence on the government. :coffee:
Yes! And not teach history and ban books, and attack corporations, and not talk about the gay, and invent election policing agencies.

You know…SMALL GOVERNMENT! Hoorah!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Since we’re on the subject…

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:33 amAmy Grant?
Yes, she's my favorite singer, but, no, I don't believe she'd ever run for President. There's a better chance of Hulk Hogan doing that (he's already announced once).

I can't believe you guys forgot about my favorite politician. Sarah Palin rules....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 pm Since we’re on the subject…

I'd have to see more than a Twitter thread on it to judge it. Teaching about MLK starts in 6th grade apparently so technically not part of the elementary curriculum but still certainly part of middle school and high school. What else are they teaching or not teaching at the elementary level? The context here is really key, but Twitter feeds, even before Musk blowing Twitter up, were notoriously unreliable and/or devoid of context, often on purpose.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:26 pm :rofl: You defend and deflect as well as BDK. Are you going to accuse me of having CRTDS?

The definition of CRT has evolved in an attempt to make it more palatable to the general public. I also didn't state the theory because individuals are taking it upon themselves to define CRT as they see fit and teach it in schools. There are examples of that in the CRT thread. Trying to limit the debate to the current definition of CRT while ignoring examples of how it's actually been taught in schools is deflecting.

We Need an Honest Conversation about Teaching Social Justice in Public Schools
]Again, teachers should be teaching students to think, not telling them what to think.
That's the NY Times, Wapo, etc's job...
FYP

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:27 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:41 pm Since we’re on the subject…

I'd have to see more than a Twitter thread on it to judge it. Teaching about MLK starts in 6th grade apparently so technically not part of the elementary curriculum but still certainly part of middle school and high school. What else are they teaching or not teaching at the elementary level? The context here is really key, but Twitter feeds, even before Musk blowing Twitter up, were notoriously unreliable and/or devoid of context, often on purpose.
I rarely read the threads. Many have a an OP with a link to real news story. Like this one.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:41 am
I rarely read the threads. Many have a an OP with a link to real news story. Like this one.
Don't you see the irony of James Fedderman's (President of the Virginia Education Association) complaints?
"It's just another attack on trying to make history what they want it to be," said James Fedderman, President of the Virginia Education Association.
"The resulting standards right now are racist. They are factually incorrect. They are not age-appropriate and they reflect explicit political bias," said Fedderman.
Dude is bitching because they took out elements that reflected his explicit political bias. Maybe they went too far but his (and others like him) complaining are the pot calling the kettle black.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I did read the news article, hence my question. It didn't go into any detail other than saying MLK isn't taught until 6th grade. That by itself doesn't really say very much. What are they teaching K-5? I know that's too much for a news article but I do expect news articles to be a little more substantial than the Tweet that arises because of it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:53 am
I did read the news article, hence my question. It didn't go into any detail other than saying MLK isn't taught until 6th grade. That by itself doesn't really say very much. What are they teaching K-5? I know that's too much for a news article but I do expect news articles to be a little more substantial than the Tweet that arises because of it.
Here is the actual draft: History and Social Science Standards of Learning for Virginia Public Schools

Martin Luther King Jr. is mentioned a lot, as he should be. Maybe kalm can dig through it and provide some specific examples of what's wrong rather than bloviating with hyperbole.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:27 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:53 am

Here is the actual draft: History and Social Science Standards of Learning for Virginia Public Schools

Martin Luther King Jr. is mentioned a lot, as he should be. Maybe kalm can dig through it and provide some specific examples of what's wrong rather than bloviating with hyperbole.
Which of the 402 pages did you find it in?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 am

Don't you see the irony of James Fedderman's (President of the Virginia Education Association) complaints?
"It's just another attack on trying to make history what they want it to be," said James Fedderman, President of the Virginia Education Association.
"The resulting standards right now are racist. They are factually incorrect. They are not age-appropriate and they reflect explicit political bias," said Fedderman.
Dude is bitching because they took out elements that reflected his explicit political bias. Maybe they went too far but his (and others like him) complaining are the pot calling the kettle black.
Actual history has no political bias.

It seems the argument here (as Ganny alluded to) is why age appropriate related.

Were the old standards historically incorrect? Were the ages inappropriate?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:57 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:27 am

Page 24 (twice)
Page 35
Page 47
Page 54
Page 356

These are where Martin Luther King Jr. is included in the standards. When he was removed from the standards it was typically just reformatted or moved somewhere else.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:00 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:44 am

It seems the argument here (as Ganny alluded to) is why age appropriate related.

If history has no political bias then CRT isn't history because it has politically bias. Refusing to acknowledge that bias because your support the theory doesn't eliminate the bias.

Virginia is required by law to update the standards every 7 years so just sticking with the old standards isn't an option.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:21 pm

Page 24 (twice)
Page 35
Page 47
Page 54
Page 356

These are where Martin Luther King Jr. is included in the standards. When he was removed from the standards it was typically just reformatted or moved somewhere else.
Holy crap, kalmie. If UNI's link is correct, the draft that your Tweet and news story says takes out Martin Luther King from the curriculum is just flat out fake news. The link that UNI posted shows children every year in Virginia, as early as Kindergarten, being taught about specific holidays (among them MLK Day and Juneteenth) and their historical significance as well as the background of each. So your tweet says that Virginia has stricken all mention of MLK from the elementary curriculum in spite of the fact that it's in there for every grade from Kindergarten through Grade 5 (that's where I stopped - feel free to use the search function on UNI's link).

Kalmie - start vetting your sources better. That was SeattleGriz level sourcing there. Definitely bot level. :ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Page 24 (twice)
Page 35
Page 47
Page 54
Page 356

Thank you.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:15 pm

Page 24 (twice)
Page 35
Page 47
Page 54
Page 356

Holy crap, kalmie. If UNI's link is correct, the draft that your Tweet and news story says takes out Martin Luther King from the curriculum is just flat out fake news. The link that UNI posted shows children every year in Virginia, as early as Kindergarten, being taught about specific holidays (among them MLK Day and Juneteenth) and their historical significance as well as the background of each. So your tweet says that Virginia has stricken all mention of MLK from the elementary curriculum in spite of the fact that it's in there for every grade from Kindergarten through Grade 5 (that's where I stopped - feel free to use the search function on UNI's link).

Kalmie - start vetting your sources better. That was SeattleGriz level sourcing there. Definitely bot level. :ohno:
Yep. I agree bad news reporting.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:26 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:00 pm

If history has no political bias then CRT isn't history because it has politically bias. Refusing to acknowledge that bias because your support the theory doesn't eliminate the bias.

Virginia is required by law to update the standards every 7 years so just sticking with the old standards isn't an option.
I support history. All history has/does not have political bias is my point. Excluding race and/or indigenous history has been going on forever. Winners write the history. That doesn’t make it anymore correct than over emphasizing those histories as a means of catching up or lessening guilt.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:21 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:26 pm

I support history. All history has/does not have political bias is my point. Excluding race and/or indigenous history has been going on forever. Winners write the history. That doesn’t make it anymore correct than over emphasizing those histories as a means of catching up or lessening guilt.
Which is it? All history has political bias or all history does not have political bias?

I've support teaching about racism and slavery, they are critical elements in the history of the US. I'm against teaching that slavery and racism are the foundation upon which the US was built. The problem with the way that CRT (and the 1619 Project) is taught is that it can be taken too far by politically biased people trying to push an agenda and indoctrinate students in what to think rather than trying to teach history and how to think.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:15 pm
Page 24 (twice)
Page 35
Page 47
Page 54
Page 356

That link is from https://doe.virginia.gov, i.e. the State of Virginia's Department of Education. It took me a couple of minutes to find and 10-15 minutes to search for and review references to "Martin Luther King." The reporter should be ashamed, they either didn't do their research or intentionally presented incorrect information.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:16 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:21 pm

Which is it? All history has political bias or all history does not have political bias?

I've support teaching about racism and slavery, they are critical elements in the history of the US. I'm against teaching that slavery and racism are the foundation upon which the US was built. The problem with the way that CRT (and the 1619 Project) is taught is that it can be taken too far by politically biased people trying to push an agenda and indoctrinate students in what to think rather than trying to teach history and how to think.
....maybe not the foundation but it was certainly one of the main support columns, important enough that the bloodiest war in our history was fought over its existence and future as part of the nation.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky