Positives from COVID Pandemic

Political discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Positives from COVID Pandemic

Post by AZGrizFan »

There are a lot of silver linings to this whole pandemic thing, so lets try to collect them all here. I'll start off with a few so you get the idea:

1) Easier to get an airplane ticket
2) Easier to get a hotel reservation
3) Less people on the roads
4) More room on airplanes, in restaurants, etc. because of reduced capacity requirements.
5) Cleaner air, with fewer people driving to work
6) Certain industries are cleaning up (mortuaries, streaming services, mask making companies, hand sanitizer companies, etc.)
7) Government's social security payout projections should be down considerably for the next couple years, helping the deficit...
8) Ended the historic, record economic expansion under Trump so Biden has no pressure on him now
9) Flu is cured, apparently...

…..what else you got? I'm sure there's more....add them here.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Positives from COVID Pandemic

Post by SeattleGriz »

Refinance rates are super low.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Sports memorabilia is hot like never before. A $5000 Michael Jordan rookie from a year ago is selling for $70,000 last week.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Americans bought more guns than any year in our nations history (39.7 million background checks run by the FBI). Over 40% of those, 8.4 million, were to 1st time gun buyers. And this past Jan another record month, with 4.3 million background checks. More gun owners = more pushback against an assault on 2A, and impossible for the govt to register or confiscate what is now pushing (or may already be over) 600 million guns in private ownership.

Course China Virus was only 1 of 3 reasons for the spike in gun sales, the others being the BLANTIFA riots, and the election.

Course some negatives- a lot of guns sold out or on back order, and more expensive. Ammo prices (including reloading components) have skyrocketed..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Maybe people will look at their career choices differently:
Trade-related jobs remained strong
Tech-related jobs remained strong.
Arts related jobs, not so strong.

Also, hopefully escalating higher education costs will be reeled in with the budget disaster many schools have faced.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

-Jobs that swore for years people claimed can't be done from home, are being done at home. Allowing people to have some flexibility in getting into the job market.
-Better home/work life balance
-Prolonged low gas prices
-Don't feel obligated to shake hands with people anymore. (Too many don't wash their hands after using the bathroom and it's always disgusted me to know they don't but they still throw their hands out when they greet you)
-More personal space in all settings
-Less meetings (we figured out they were largely a waste of time. When you have to set them up, digitally, instead of just saying "meeting room at 10", they ponder if it could be an email.
-Home cooking/ healthier cooking has improved for most families
-Kids have had the chance to know their parents better
-Families have been able to save and invest more
-Families that had limited access to the internet, now have better access
-Easier to figure out what rumors of office affairs are true
-Service providers are more willing to give discounts/promotions
-For AZ, when the market dipped, it allowed some to buy stocks on sale
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

For a second there I thought this was going to be a positive post. Then I read the OP and replies...so in that light of classic American selfishness and rugged individualism, I’ll mention one of the truly big ones first: community.

Many will learn to have a greater sense of civic responsibility and appreciation for life. It’s a process that’s already begun for some. Others will take longer but eventually get it. Those who don’t will be left in the dust and bitter.

Efficiency and redundancy. We can do more with less in many areas. Remote learning and work free up time allowing for more hours of productivity and recreating oneself.

Which leads to creativity. Many people haven’t just wasted time watching Netflix, they’re learning new skills and art forms.

Another is a giant leap forward in tech. The lunar mission created something like 1500 patents from tang to Velcro. The obvious beneficiaries from this crisis are healthcare and IT but other related benefits will be tackling the inflation of healthcare prices and expanded broadband infrastructure. Transportation and shipping logistics are also no-brainers.

Never let a crisis go to waste.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:49 am -Jobs that swore for years people claimed can't be done from home, are being done at home. Allowing people to have some flexibility in getting into the job market.
-Don't feel obligated to shake hands with people anymore. (Too many don't wash their hands after using the bathroom and it's always disgusted me to know they don't but they still throw their hands out when they greet you)
-Less meetings (we figured out they were largely a waste of time. When you have to set them up, digitally, instead of just saying "meeting room at 10", they ponder if it could be an email.
Great list, Bobby!

We are so much closer as a family because of this. Our boys have turned into adults in front of our very eyes and there’s much more mutual respect which I may not have appreciated as much otherwise...more wrapped up in myself.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:41 pm Americans bought more guns than any year in our nations history (39.7 million background checks run by the FBI). Over 40% of those, 8.4 million, were to 1st time gun buyers. And this past Jan another record month, with 4.3 million background checks. More gun owners = more pushback against an assault on 2A, and impossible for the govt to register or confiscate what is now pushing (or may already be over) 600 million guns in private ownership.

Course China Virus was only 1 of 3 reasons for the spike in gun sales, the others being the BLANTIFA riots, and the election.

Course some negatives- a lot of guns sold out or on back order, and more expensive. Ammo prices (including reloading components) have skyrocketed..
Keep that negative shit outta this thread, buddy. :tothehand: :tothehand:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:57 am For a second there I thought this was going to be a positive post. Then I read the OP and replies...so in that light of classic American selfishness and rugged individualism, I’ll mention one of the truly big ones first: community.

Many will learn to have a greater sense of civic responsibility and appreciation for life. It’s a process that’s already begun for some. Others will take longer but eventually get it. Those who don’t will be left in the dust and bitter.

Efficiency and redundancy. We can do more with less in many areas. Remote learning and work free up time allowing for more hours of productivity and recreating oneself.

Which leads to creativity. Many people haven’t just wasted time watching Netflix, they’re learning new skills and art forms.

Another is a giant leap forward in tech. The lunar mission created something like 1500 patents from tang to Velcro. The obvious beneficiaries from this crisis are healthcare and IT but other related benefits will be tackling the inflation of healthcare prices and expanded broadband infrastructure. Transportation and shipping logistics are also no-brainers.

The OP was super-positive. Yours is a good list too. There’s no wrong answers, unless BDK brings that negative shit back to the thread. :kisswink: :kisswink:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:03 am
bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:49 am -Jobs that swore for years people claimed can't be done from home, are being done at home. Allowing people to have some flexibility in getting into the job market.
Great list, Bobby!

We are so much closer as a family because of this. Our boys have turned into adults in front of our very eyes and there’s much more mutual respect which I may not have appreciated as much otherwise...more wrapped up in myself.
Agreed. I was give some (unexpected) lengthy family time with my two adult children and it was thoroughly enjoyable. :nod: :nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:57 am For a second there I thought this was going to be a positive post. Then I read the OP and replies...so in that light of classic American selfishness and rugged individualism, I’ll mention one of the truly big ones first: community.

Remote learning isn't good for everyone. Some students have taken to it like a fish to water while others are struggling. Stop being selfish and thinking it's good because it's working well for your kids. :)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:12 am

Remote learning isn't good for everyone. Some students have taken to it like a fish to water while others are struggling. Stop being selfish and thinking it's good because it's working well for your kids. :)
:lol: :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

The world needs ditch diggers too. :coffee:

Youngest went from mostly D’s and a few C’s to all A’s and one B last semester.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

89Jr returns from Salt Lake City tonight where he's been working remotely from for the past three weeks. He asked his boss if he could work from anywhere and he agreed. He was on East Coast time so he was done work every day at 3. He took a couple days off to make long weekends. He and a buddy skied a dozen times, hiked, visited the salt flats... Wouldn't have been able to do that without Covid.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:20 am 89Jr returns from Salt Lake City tonight where he's been working remotely from for the past three weeks. He asked his boss if he could work from anywhere and he agreed. He was on East Coast time so he was done work every day at 3. He took a couple days off to make long weekends. He and a buddy skied a dozen times, hiked, visited the salt flats... Wouldn't have been able to do that without Covid.
Great example. :clap:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

I’ll add: I was able to work from the lake house for five months, and pretty much anytime I want now because I only go into office about 3 days a month.

I’ll also add, more time at home with my honey, which means more afternoon delight. 8-) 8-)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:17 am

My youngest went from A's in AP and Honors classes to B's, C's & D's. Teachers didn't notice until it was pointed out to them because she wasn't failing like a lot of other students.

I will also say that as a former substitute teacher I have been less than impressed with the way that many individual teachers and districts as a whole have utilized technology during remote learning. Too many have just made their analog class virtual and are not using rooms for group discussions or projects, apps like Kahoot to keep students engaged through the monotony of Zoom, etc.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:37 am

My youngest went from A's in AP and Honors classes to B's, C's & D's. Teachers didn't notice until it was pointed out to them because she wasn't failing like a lot of other students.

I will also say that as a former substitute teacher I have been less than impressed with the way that many individual teachers and districts as a whole have utilized technology during remote learning. Too many have just made their analog class virtual and are not using rooms for group discussions or projects, apps like Kahoot to keep students engaged through the monotony of Zoom, etc.
Agreed. Some have gotten very creative. Many have gotten very lazy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:37 am

I get it and I’ll admit my youngest was a perfect candidate for alternative learning. School and conformity bored him.
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

kalm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:03 amGreat list bobby!
It's Bob, dammit!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 am
kalm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:03 amGreat list bobby!
It's Bob, dammit!
Ok then, great list Bob, dammit!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:20 am 89Jr returns from Salt Lake City tonight where he's been working remotely from for the past three weeks. He asked his boss if he could work from anywhere and he agreed. He was on East Coast time so he was done work every day at 3. He took a couple days off to make long weekends. He and a buddy skied a dozen times, hiked, visited the salt flats... Wouldn't have been able to do that without Covid.
:thumb:

Travel options didn't go away, they changed and they created opportunities to see things people might not otherwise have seen. Pre-pandemic, I would have flown my kids to Portland to spend a couple of weeks with me over the summer. We would have used Portland as a base and probably stayed within a 3-4 hour radius. With the pandemic, I drove 9,000 miles with my kids and we visited places we wouldn't have visited if they'd just flown into Portland.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:44 am
bobbythekidd wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 am
It's Bob, dammit!
Though shall not take Bob's name in vain dammit!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:45 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:44 am

Though shall not take Bob's name in vain dammit!
* thou

Boom! Kalm finally get’s one back!!!!!!!!