Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Reddit versus Wall Street

Post by SeattleGriz »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:07 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:51 pm

Why? Other than the fact nobody will let you sell it :lol: :lol:
That's the whole point of this: hold to squeeze the short sellers.

People who need the money should sell, but for the rest of us who can afford to lose it, the game is to hurt the hedge funds as long as possible. It's not about the money now (especially after the market shenanigans). It's simply a rare chance for people to fight back.
That's the mentality BDK was talking about, in which I've read a few posts. People saying they've had nothing their whole lives and if Wall Street thinks that them losing $1000 is going to scare them into selling, they are wrong.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AOC now live to talk about it:

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:40 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:07 pm

That's the whole point of this: hold to squeeze the short sellers.

People who need the money should sell, but for the rest of us who can afford to lose it, the game is to hurt the hedge funds as long as possible. It's not about the money now (especially after the market shenanigans). It's simply a rare chance for people to fight back.
That's the mentality BDK was talking about, in which I've read a few posts. People saying they've had nothing their whole lives and if Wall Street thinks that them losing $1000 is going to scare them into selling, they are wrong.
That's basically it. These short-sellers play with people's livelihoods...they devalue companies and jobs/benefits that go with it. Leaches.

And again, if you need the money, SELL SELL SELL. Help yourself, your family, your favorite charity, whatever.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Real swampy.

But hey, at least we have a Treasury Secretary with a vagina. That's all that matters.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:40 pm

That's basically it. These short-sellers play with people's livelihoods...they devalue companies and jobs/benefits that go with it. Leaches.

And again, if you need the money, SELL SELL SELL. Help yourself, your family, your favorite charity, whatever.
Well the goal has been achieved, hasn’t it? The hedge fund has gone bankrupt. Why not sell your stock and donate the $$ or something? Why ride it all the way back down?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:18 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm

Well the goal has been achieved, hasn’t it? The hedge fund has gone bankrupt. Why not sell your stock and donate the $$ or something? Why ride it all the way back down?
There's more than one hedge fund in all of this, and the one that went bankrupt (Melvin) was privately rescued by Citadel and Point 72.

Some on Wall Street - in all of their infinite wisdom - have also shorted the short (64 million trades like this), so now f*ck them too.

There's also the fact that there's a bit of belief in Gamestop, and people (particularly Millennials) don't want to see hedge funds and their sister capital venture companies devaluing and taking down a company people love.

GME isn't the end of this either.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:52 pm Real swampy.

But hey, at least we have a Treasury Secretary with a vagina. That's all that matters.
Was she picked for her vagina or to satisfy the establishment?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:23 am It's rebounding a bit...back up to almost $300. I'm completely out now, made a very nice profit.

It's really something when AOChe, Pelosi, Ted Cruz, Rashida Talib, Elon Musk and Donald Trump, Jr are all on the SAME side.

Blantant market manipulation, IMO.
I'm still in (bought a singular stock at $220). I plan to go down with this ship. :lol:
I sold a lot pretty high. I may go back in tomorrow for 1 or 2. The shorts still have to cover tomorrow. Look at today’s volume - it doesn’t stand to reason that they’re out (some analysis is that the hedge funds have doubled down).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:
I'm still in (bought a singular stock at $220). I plan to go down with this ship. :lol:
I sold a lot pretty high. I may go back in tomorrow for 1 or 2. The shorts still have to cover tomorrow. Look at today’s volume - it doesn’t stand to reason that they’re out (some analysis is that the hedge funds have doubled down).

Yeah I mentioned it earlier, but it looks like some hedge funds are doubling down. So while I only have one stock, I'm holding.

I also like Gamestop. I legit want it to succeed.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:46 pm That's basically it. These short-sellers play with people's livelihoods...they devalue companies and jobs/benefits that go with it. Leaches.

Melvin isn’t bankrupt and I don’t think that’s really the goal. The goal isn’t achieved- which is max gains and a fair evaluation for Game Stock. Is it a $10B company? Probably not but it’s previous valuation was a bit low.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 pm I sold a lot pretty high. I may go back in tomorrow for 1 or 2. The shorts still have to cover tomorrow. Look at today’s volume - it doesn’t stand to reason that they’re out (some analysis is that the hedge funds have doubled down).

Yeah I mentioned it earlier, but it looks like some hedge funds are doubling down. So while I only have one stock, I'm holding.

I thought $30, $75, $100 a share was a pipe dream.

I bet it could damn near triple due to the squeeze.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 pm
∞∞∞ wrote:

I thought $30, $75, $100 a share was a pipe dream.

I hope so. If nothing changes because of this, so be it. If something changes, then it was worth the small price.

These hedge funds and capital ventures take struggling companies and make the situation worse with these shorts. Instead of the fundamental reason we invest in stocks - the belief in the product - they go in there and destroy jobs and livelihoods to siphon money upwards.

Let them hurt.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

This whole saga is awesome. I love seeing these hedge funds get squeezed. This won't end with GME, the game is going to have to be rigged even further for this to not happen again. :nod:

I didn't get in on any of this action, but might have to on the next company this happens with.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Pwns wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:52 pm Real swampy.

Sad thing is nothing is going to happen to Yellin (btw Bernie voted for her, and so did "eat the rich" Warren) and the hedge funds will get bailed out ala the big banks in '08.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:27 pm This whole saga is awesome. I love seeing these hedge funds get squeezed. This won't end with GME, the game is going to have to be rigged even further for this to not happen again. :nod:

I didn't get in on any of this action, but might have to on the next company this happens with.
AMC could be the next one. It's heavily shorted right now and people have taken notice, but GME is still the main target.

But I don't want to give financial advice either; I would say keep an eye out.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Don't recall ever hearing of "Game Stop" before a week or so ago. Didn't understand the whole situation until I read an explanation on Red State + heard Rush explain it today (he thinks what happened is great)..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:31 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:27 pm This whole saga is awesome. I love seeing these hedge funds get squeezed. This won't end with GME, the game is going to have to be rigged even further for this to not happen again. :nod:

AMC could be the next one. It's heavily shorted right now and people have taken notice, but GME is still the main target.

Thanks. I know Shwaub stopped purchases for GME today. Fuckers.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:32 pm Don't recall ever hearing of "Game Stop" before a week or so ago. Didn't understand the whole situation until I read an explanation on Red State + heard Rush explain it today (he thinks what happened is great)..
Gamestop is the Radio Shack of video games and entertainment systems. Their model is doomed to fail unless they drastically change it. The buying is strictly a meme to fuck with the hedge funds, and I greatly approve.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:34 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:32 pm Don't recall ever hearing of "Game Stop" before a week or so ago. Didn't understand the whole situation until I read an explanation on Red State + heard Rush explain it today (he thinks what happened is great)..
Gamestop is the Radio Shack of video games and entertainment systems. Their model is doomed to fail unless they drastically change it. The buying is strictly a meme to fuck with the hedge funds, and I greatly approve.
Yeah, I got that now. Also now have a very elementary sort of understanding how these hedge funds work.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:18 pm I thought $30, $75, $100 a share was a pipe dream.

I hope so. If nothing changes because of this, so be it. If something changes, then it was worth the small price.

These hedge funds and capital ventures take struggling companies and make the situation worse with these shorts. Instead of the fundamental reason we invest in stocks - the belief in the product - they go in there and destroy jobs and livelihoods to siphon money upwards.

Let them hurt.
If some of the many videos and photos are true - GME was selling for $2k-$5k this morning before everything went to shit.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
And that’s why there’s so much positivity behind it with the retail investor. Ryan Cohen (founder of Chewy) bought a stake and is on the board with 2 other former Chewy board members. Ryan’s letter to the board last month outlines his vision to take it more digital. That’s the future if he can pull it off. And that’s what the Reddit Brigade is bullish on.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:

AMC actually has news to help justify the positive trends. They’re definitely a favorite.

Also Blackberry.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

They have a pretty aggressive turnaround plan to focus on digital sales, subscriptions, and renting more space to manufacturers and developers...basically the Best Buy turnaround model. Gamestop's digital sales are up something like 800% since last year, but they definitely need to close down a lot of the brick-and-mortar stores holding them down.

That's why it's doubly-annoying hedge funds are trying to bring Gamestop down. Yes it's struggling, but the asshats shouldn't have the ability to enrich themselves further by devaluing the investments people who believe in the product put in. Let it fail or succeed based on its product.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:51 pm

They have a pretty aggressive turnaround plan to focus on digital sales, subscriptions, and renting more space to manufacturers and developers...basically the Best Buy turnaround model. Gamestop's digital sales are up something like 800% since last year, but they definitely need to close down some brick-and-mortar stores holding them down.

That's why it's doubly-annoying hedge funds are trying to bring Gamestop down. Yes it's struggling, but it shouldn't mean hedge funds should have the ability to enrich themselves by devaluing the investment people who believe in the product put in.
I hadn't heard that. Last time I was in a GS was probably a year ago and it had nothing of interest to me. Damn shame, when I was way more into gaming I loved that place. Got most of my games from the used bin for a handful of bucks a pop.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

It wasn't great the last time I went (~1 year ago), but I haven't been during the pandemic.

Who knows though, with the recent injection of cash and all this free press, it could be enough to actually turn it around.