What's this I'm hearing...

Political discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

What's this I'm hearing...

Post by SuperHornet »

...that President Biden has already had articles of impeachment filed on him? Even from a conservative point of view, he hasn't had time to screw up THAT bad. And if it's about what his son allegedly did awhile back, isn't impeachment supposed to be about what a President has done WHILE PRESIDENT?!?

While different, this argument is similar to the conservative argument that continued proceedings against Trump are unconstitutional since he's no longer President. Either way, defense of impeachment against either are based on arguments from silence, since the Constitution says NOTHING about proceedings against a President who has already either termed out or been voted out of office (a la Trump) or for things committed by other people associated with a President BEFORE he even took office (a la Biden). I'm starting to think that we're abusing the impeachment process for political purposes on BOTH sides. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: What's this I'm hearing...

Post by kalm »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:28 am ...that President Biden has already had articles of impeachment filed on him? Even from a conservative point of view, he hasn't had time to screw up THAT bad. And if it's about what his son allegedly did awhile back, isn't impeachment supposed to be about what a President has done WHILE PRESIDENT?!?

While different, this argument is similar to the conservative argument that continued proceedings against Trump are unconstitutional since he's no longer President. Either way, defense of impeachment against either are based on arguments from silence, since the Constitution says NOTHING about proceedings against a President who has already either termed out or been voted out of office (a la Trump) or for things committed by other people associated with a President BEFORE he even took office (a la Biden). I'm starting to think that we're abusing the impeachment process for political purposes on BOTH sides. SMH....
The constitution says nothing about many things.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:28 am ...that President Biden has already had articles of impeachment filed on him? Even from a conservative point of view, he hasn't had time to screw up THAT bad. And if it's about what his son allegedly did awhile back, isn't impeachment supposed to be about what a President has done WHILE PRESIDENT?!?

Yes. If I'm not mistaken, they were filed by Marjorie Green. She's newly elected. Assume the point is if they can impeach Trump without a crime, Biden can be impeached over bologna as well.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I'm willing to bet there's been plenty of times that a single or a couple of obscure Congress folks have drafted articles of impeachment against most Presidents, especially in the past 50 years. This is only news if we give those folks the spotlight to make it news. Let them sell it to their own constituents, because in most cases that's all their peddling it for.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation