The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: The Official

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:38 am The Biden Administration and the new American regime

https://www.city-journal.org/joe-bidens ... -innocence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn’t read the comment thread — I rarely do — but I disagree with the “politics of innocence.” I’d call it the “politics of incompetence,” such that our leaders are totally inept fools that engage in 24-7 finger-pointing to cover up their policy failures.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by Ibanez »

https://nypost.com/2021/10/24/dems-plan ... d-2t-bill/

Dems want to tax UNREALIZED cap gains.... :suspicious:
1) how can you tax something that hasn't been actualized?
2) would the implication be to trigger a sell off, which would then be taxed as well?

Is there something i'm not understanding here? Seems like a grasp
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: The Official "Making America Poop Again" Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:58 am https://nypost.com/2021/10/24/dems-plan ... d-2t-bill/

2) would the implication be to trigger a sell off, which would then be taxed as well?

We get that with our graded cards. Companies charge according to what they believe the sportscards will sell for, versus what they actually sell for. They get the money up-front, so you better have a good idea what your inventory sells for before you send it to a grading company. Basically you are taxed on what the government believes it's worth. I assume they government will tax it again when it's sold. Government backed loan sharking.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:17 pm Riding the pony.

:rofl:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:58 am https://nypost.com/2021/10/24/dems-plan ... d-2t-bill/

And here's the kicker, the Fed can keep pumping money into the economy so that your investments rise in "value" (*cough cough inflation*) and thusly you can be taxed more on those "gains".

Welcome to the Great Reset. You'll own nothing and be happy.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:26 am

And here's the kicker, the Fed can keep pumping money into the economy so that your investments rise in "value" (*cough cough inflation*) and thusly you can be taxed more on those "gains".

Welcome to the Great Reset. You'll own nothing and be happy.
My mom has called asking about this "Great Reset" where all the banks will be emptied and whatnot. If that happens - they better forgive everyone's debts.

And then prepare for war. :coffee: :twocents:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

It's just another way to say a "wealth tax" without calling it a "wealth tax". In principle, I'm not adverse to something like that, but in practice I just don't see how it's going to be practical to implement. How do you properly assess a person's property or their possessions? Heck, every local struggles with property tax reassessments and likely will forever. Extend that saga now to pretty much anything else someone owns. Like I said, the principle of getting a really rich person who has little to no income, but sits on a hoard of wealth, isn't a bad thought, per se, but that same person is likely to be able to afford the tax lawyers necessary to avoid much, if not most, of this new tax. I'm pretty sure lots of other countries, Europe included, have abandoned wealth taxes as they just weren't worth the expenditures to chase them down.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:32 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of this could have been predicted - damn the police, say they aren't doing their jobs, and we should defund them, and then when we struggle to have enough police and/or the ones left purposely don't stick their necks out, we damn them for not doing their jobs. Gee, if only we could've predicted this ahead of time. :rofl:
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

SDHornet wrote:Image Image Image

But I thought community policing was going to solve everything? Where are the social workers?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:14 am

It's just another way to say a "wealth tax" without calling it a "wealth tax". In principle, I'm not adverse to something like that, but in practice I just don't see how it's going to be practical to implement. How do you properly assess a person's property or their possessions? Heck, every local struggles with property tax reassessments and likely will forever. Extend that saga now to pretty much anything else someone owns. Like I said, the principle of getting a really rich person who has little to no income, but sits on a hoard of wealth, isn't a bad thought, per se, but that same person is likely to be able to afford the tax lawyers necessary to avoid much, if not most, of this new tax. I'm pretty sure lots of other countries, Europe included, have abandoned wealth taxes as they just weren't worth the expenditures to chase them down.
Taxing unrealized capital gains? What about offsets for unrealized capital losses, or are the Donks just going to ignore those?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:39 am

Taxing unrealized capital gains? What about offsets for unrealized capital losses, or are the Donks just going to ignore those?
I'm pretty sure they cap how much losses you can book. And it's a pretty small number.

I get the idea that it's one of those gimicks that lawmakers put into a bill to toy with the total cost of the package. Then once everything is implemented they don't really care that a revenue source like this that was used to make the money look better is just never realized. It's like a crappy present but done with really good gift wrapping. Politics at its best.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:02 am
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:39 am

I'm pretty sure they cap how much losses you can book. And it's a pretty small number.

I get the idea that it's one of those gimicks that lawmakers put into a bill to toy with the total cost of the package. Then once everything is implemented they don't really care that a revenue source like this that was used to make the money look better is just never realized. It's like a crappy present but done with really good gift wrapping. Politics at its best.
The real gamesmanship on cost comes when the Dems reduce the projected cost by giving the big-ticket items a shorter time window. Of course, it’s rank hypocrisy, because guess what happens when an item is about to “sunset”? Presto, it’s extended!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:05 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:02 am

The real gamesmanship on cost comes when the Dems reduce the projected cost by giving the big-ticket items a shorter time window. Of course, it’s rank hypocrisy, because guess what happens when an item is about to “sunset”? Presto, it’s extended!
Thing is, they're making some of these sunset windows so small, the whole program could be killed off before the program even gets up an running. If you only cost it out for two years some of these things take more than two years to really be implemented.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:05 am The real gamesmanship on cost comes when the Dems reduce the projected cost by giving the big-ticket items a shorter time window. Of course, it’s rank hypocrisy, because guess what happens when an item is about to “sunset”? Presto, it’s extended!
Thing is, they're making some of these sunset windows so small, the whole program could be killed off before the program even gets up an running. If you only cost it out for two years some of these things take more than two years to really be implemented.
I bet that the original lengths of these programs were meant to keep them from further scrutiny until the sunset window arrives. 10 years would be five Congressional cycles, and most likely you would get voters to put in newbies who would not even know what was in the original bill or anything about the program and would just rubber stamp it.

Can't do that when it's only two years away, and plus turn them into yet another election issue for incumbents to defend in 2024.

@phillywild305 FB
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

They're open about it being a wealth tax. It's a tax on Billionaires...there is zero nuance there. :lol:
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:14 am It's just another way to say a "wealth tax" without calling it a "wealth tax". In principle, I'm not adverse to something like that, but in practice I just don't see how it's going to be practical to implement. How do you properly assess a person's property or their possessions? Heck, every local struggles with property tax reassessments and likely will forever. Extend that saga now to pretty much anything else someone owns. Like I said, the principle of getting a really rich person who has little to no income, but sits on a hoard of wealth, isn't a bad thought, per se, but that same person is likely to be able to afford the tax lawyers necessary to avoid much, if not most, of this new tax. I'm pretty sure lots of other countries, Europe included, have abandoned wealth taxes as they just weren't worth the expenditures to chase them down.
They're open about it being a wealth tax. It's a tax on Billionaires...there is zero nuance there. Image
Imagine getting taxed on your 401k every year for "unrealized gains".

@phillywild305 FB
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

DSUrocks07 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:29 am
Ibanez wrote: They're open about it being a wealth tax. It's a tax on Billionaires...there is zero nuance there. Image
Imagine getting taxed on your 401k every year for "unrealized gains".
That's next. Only wealthy people have 401(k)s.

They need to apply the tax to billionaires and federally elected officials.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

UNI88 wrote:
DSUrocks07 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:29 am Imagine getting taxed on your 401k every year for "unrealized gains".

Nope, their exemption from the tax is on page 1427, section Zed Alpha 1.4.

@phillywild305 FB
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:32 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of this could have been predicted - damn the police, say they aren't doing their jobs, and we should defund them, and then when we struggle to have enough police and/or the ones left purposely don't stick their necks out, we damn them for not doing their jobs. Gee, if only we could've predicted this ahead of time. :rofl:
‘Member when people like her were saying de-policing was BS and not a thing?

I ‘member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 am
GannonFan wrote:

I ‘member
Do you 'member who we was and where we came from? :D

Defund the police, demoralize the police that remain, blame the increase in crime on police not doing their jobs, further demoralize the police ... What is the ctrl-left's endgame on this?

Who is going to enforce the big government mandates? A proletarian Red Guard?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:39 am
DSUrocks07 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:29 am Imagine getting taxed on your 401k every year for "unrealized gains".

There'd be no point to investing if this happens.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:56 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 am

I ‘member
Do you 'member who we was and where we came from? :D

Defund the police, demoralize the police that remain, blame the increase in crime on police not doing their jobs, further demoralize the police ... What is the ctrl-left's endgame on this?

Who is going to enforce the big government mandates? A proletarian Red Guard?
Paging klammy....
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

SDHornet wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:39 am That's next. Only wealthy people have 401(k)s.

What better way to make more people living off the government teat than to have personal retirement plans insolvent and force everyone to only have Social Security.

@phillywild305 FB
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DSUrocks07 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:51 pm
SDHornet wrote:
What better way to make more people living off the government teat than to have personal retirement plans insolvent and force everyone to only have Social Security.
:nod: I hope to be living out of the country before they achieve that goal.