Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by JohnStOnge »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:57 am While it's for Davos, I'm sure the percentage applies to our woke.

I don't see that as a big deal. I don't own an electric vehicle now nor would I under current circumstances. But I believe we have to transition away from internal combustion vehicles. And I support efforts to continue to develop the technology to do it. Right now it looks like electric vehicles are the alternative.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Baldy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:11 am
Here is the text of an e mail I wrote the the Chief Science Officer of the American Psychological Association Science Directorate yesterday:
Dear Dr. Prinstein:

Just writing about a relatively minor thing but it's a thing that makes me cringe every time I read about transgender issues. It's the practice of referring to "gender" being "assigned" at birth.

I wish y'all would find a different way to state it. I do not think "gender" is normally "assigned" at birth. Instead, in the overwhelming majority of cases, biological sex is identified. There are some ambiguous circumstances. But they are rare. In the overwhelming majority of cases, an individual of our species is born as a biological male or as a biological female.

When I see the "assigned at birth" terminology, I recall a survey I did long ago to describe a State whelk fishery (Busycon species). The objective was to describe the animals being harvested in terms of size, species composition and female:male sex ratio for each species. The information was important to fishery management. Females of each species are larger than males, on average, and fishermen get paid more for bigger animals. You can see where that leads.

I did not "assign" sex any more than I "assigned" species. I identified.

Anyway, it's not that big a deal and it has nothing to do with how transgender people should be treated. But I do wish your field would come up with alternative terminology. I just don't think it accurately reflects what's going on. And I think it makes it sound like medical professionals are doing something arbitrary. They are obviously not. They are looking at biological characteristics and correctly identifying the biological sex of the individual. I don't think terminology saying they are "assigning" is fair to them.

Respectfully,
i doubt I get a response on that one. But I liked writing it. I also think they hurt their credibility when they do stuff like that. I think I know what they are doing. But people know that when medical staff identify someone as male of female at birth they are not "assigning" anything except in very rate circumstances involving intersex individuals.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:20 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:57 am While it's for Davos, I'm sure the percentage applies to our woke.

I don't see that as a big deal. I don't own an electric vehicle now nor would I under current circumstances. But I believe we have to transition away from internal combustion vehicles. And I support efforts to continue to develop the technology to do it. Right now it looks like electric vehicles are the alternative.
No we don’t. We have plenty of oil. Not going to run out in our lifetimes, or your kid’s lifetimes, or your grandkids’ lifetimes..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:31 pm

No we don’t. We have plenty of oil. Not going to run out in our lifetimes, or your kid’s lifetimes, or your grandkids’ lifetimes..
We don’t have to but we should.

Here’s some cool new photovoltaic tech that’s on the near horizon.

https://knowridge.com/2022/06/scientist ... k8pjpjhw2i
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:10 am

Cool tech but won't make any difference.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:30 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:10 am

At some point all tech didn’t make a difference. Now excuse me while I recharge the battery on my trolling motor with a cheap little solar panel.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:51 pm

At some point all tech didn’t make a difference. Now excuse me while I recharge the battery on my trolling motor with a cheap little solar panel.

Great. We have the technology to drive around at 3 MPH. Sweet.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Certainly won't be in my lifetime as I am 64 years old. If oil runs out by 2052 as estimated at https://mahb.stanford.edu/library-item/ ... fuels-run/, our children could see the day. And our grandchildren could CERTAINLY see the day. 2052 is 30 years away. My two kids will be in their 60s at that point. My oldest grandkid will be in her 30s.

A slightly less ominous projection (I guess) by the US Energy Information Administration at https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php? ... ugh%202050 is "the global supply of crude oil, other liquid hydrocarbons, and biofuels is expected to be adequate to meet the world's demand for liquid fuels through 2050." Saying it's possible the supply won't be sufficient to meet the needs isn't quite as bad as saying we will have run out.

The point is that it is not going to be long in historical terms. We should be doing what we can, right now, to prepare our civilization for a day when we cannot rely on fossil fuels to sustain it. That's the case even it it's really 100 years instead of 30. 100 years is not a long time in the context of history.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:30 pm
Certainly won't be in my lifetime as I am 64 years old. If oil runs out by 2052 as estimated at https://mahb.stanford.edu/library-item/ ... fuels-run/, our children could see the day. And our grandchildren could CERTAINLY see the day. 2052 is 30 years away. My two kids will be in their 60s at that point. My oldest grandkid will be in her 30s.

A slightly less ominous projection (I guess) by the US Energy Information Administration at https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php? ... ugh%202050 is "the global supply of crude oil, other liquid hydrocarbons, and biofuels is expected to be adequate to meet the world's demand for liquid fuels through 2050." Saying it's possible the supply won't be sufficient to meet the needs isn't quite as bad as saying we will have run out.

The point is that it is not going to be long in historical terms. We should be doing what we can, right now, to prepare our civilization for a day when we cannot rely on fossil fuels to sustain it. That's the case even it it's really 100 years instead of 30. 100 years is not a long time in the context of history.
Dirty hippie. :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

And those projections are only using current proven extractable reserves using current technology. New reserves are being discovered every year, and extraction technology is always improving.

Dozens of previous “peak oil” predictions have turned out to be entirely wrong, often in hilarious fashion. And thise above ones will be as well.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

It's not the same thing. The tech is already there for solar. It's like saying we went from a manual transmission car to an automatic transmission car.

The problem for electric is storage. The rest doesn't mean much until that is figured out.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Meanwhile…in Texas…they ain’t goin’ woke.
On Thursday, Judge Luttig examined the ongoing danger to democracy and located it not just on former president Donald Trump and his enablers, but on the entire Republican Party of today, the party that embraces the Big Lie that Trump won the 2020 election, the party that continues to plan to overturn any election in which voters choose a Democrat.

“[T]he former president and his party are today a clear and present danger for American democracy,” Luttig reiterated to NPR’s All Things Considered.

And, as if in confirmation, delegates to a convention of the Texas Republican Party today approved platform planks rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States”; requiring students “to learn about the dignity of the preborn human,” including that life begins at fertilization; treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”; locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9; getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes; abolishing the Federal Reserve; rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment; returning Christianity to schools and government; ending all gun safety measures; abolishing the Department of Education; arming teachers; requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”; defending capital punishment; dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered; protecting Confederate monuments; ending gay marriage; withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization; and calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.”

Luttig said that Republicans must start speaking to Democrats as ”fellow Americans that have a shared destiny and shared hopes and dreams for America.” “We cannot have in America either political party behaving itself like the Republican Party has since the 2020 election.”
https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... &fs=e&s=cl
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:00 pm Meanwhile…in Texas…they ain’t goin’ woke.
On Thursday, Judge Luttig examined the ongoing danger to democracy and located it not just on former president Donald Trump and his enablers, but on the entire Republican Party of today, the party that embraces the Big Lie that Trump won the 2020 election, the party that continues to plan to overturn any election in which voters choose a Democrat.

“[T]he former president and his party are today a clear and present danger for American democracy,” Luttig reiterated to NPR’s All Things Considered.

And, as if in confirmation, delegates to a convention of the Texas Republican Party today approved platform planks rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States”; requiring students “to learn about the dignity of the preborn human,” including that life begins at fertilization; treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”; locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9; getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes; abolishing the Federal Reserve; rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment; returning Christianity to schools and government; ending all gun safety measures; abolishing the Department of Education; arming teachers; requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”; defending capital punishment; dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered; protecting Confederate monuments; ending gay marriage; withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization; and calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.”

Luttig said that Republicans must start speaking to Democrats as ”fellow Americans that have a shared destiny and shared hopes and dreams for America.” “We cannot have in America either political party behaving itself like the Republican Party has since the 2020 election.”
https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... &fs=e&s=cl
Lol. Dems have spoken to Reps EXACTLY like he accuses Reps of speaking since Obama took office.

Oh, and I agree with their last platform plank. time to exercise that clause. :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Who’s up for some Republican hunting? :?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

And as a follow up…nice!

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:52 am Who’s up for some Republican hunting? :?

James Hodgkinson and 2017 would like a word please.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:37 pm

And those projections are only using current proven extractable reserves using current technology. New reserves are being discovered every year, and extraction technology is always improving.

Dozens of previous “peak oil” predictions have turned out to be entirely wrong, often in hilarious fashion. And thise above ones will be as well.
And "known" reserves are a bit of a misnomer as company's that extract natural resources deliberately do not fully map what they are after for tax purposes as they as a company are taxed on "known" reserves, not what is unknown.

My grandkids (if I ever have any) will still have the option of fossil fuels if they want. I hope storage tech has reached a point long before that makes it viable.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:17 pm

It's not the same thing. The tech is already there for solar. It's like saying we went from a manual transmission car to an automatic transmission car.

The problem for electric is storage. The rest doesn't mean much until that is figured out.
And large storage is very much still in the early experimental phase.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Baldy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:11 am
California is creating them.
California hospital offers puberty blockers, sex hormones to children as young as age 3: 'Fully reversible'
UCSF Benioff Children's Hospitals says its prioritizing 'social justice and health equity'

….UCSF's Child and Adolescent Gender Center "offers comprehensive medical and psychological care, as well as advocacy and legal support, to transgender, nonbinary and gender-expansive kids. We bring together experts from within as well as outside UCSF to promote gender health and support positive outcomes for children and adolescents exploring gender identity and expression."

The center accepts new patients ages 3 through 17…
https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-h ... rsible.amp
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZ, did you have this training video when you were in the Navy?
WATCH: Here's how the Navy teaches sailors to use the 'right' pronouns

Footage from a Navy instructional video on how to use the "right" pronouns went viral Monday.

"Using the right pronouns is a simple way to affirm someone's identity," Jony Rozon, an engineer with the Naval Undersea Warfare Center, says in footage of the video posted online…

…"Instead of saying something like 'Hey guys,' you can say, 'Hey everybody,' Rozon explains.

Including pronouns in emails and introducing oneself with pronouns are also steps sailors can take to mitigate the risk of misgendering someone, according to the video.

However, if misgendering happens, the video says there are steps to take.

"You correct yourself and move on, or you accept the correction and move on," says Conchy Vasquez, an engineer with the Naval Undersea Warfare Center.

"The most important thing I can tell you is, do not put the burden of making you feel good about your mistake on the person you just misgendered."

While misgendering is terrible, one must not pressure another person into divulging that person's pronouns, according to the video.

"Some people may be going through the process of discovery, and they are not ready yet to tell you what their pronouns are, and that's OK," according to Vasquez.

"It is a signal of acceptance and respect," he continues.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... s-military
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Like I posted over in the Top Gun Maverick thread..
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:26 am AZ, did you have this training video when you were in the Navy?
NAVY: Need Any Vaseline Yet?

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Newly launched non-woke comic book defies cancel culture, brings in over $1.7M in first four days
July, a self-described libertarian, hosts his own podcast and has appeared on several media outlets as a political commentator. July said he is "on a mission to spread liberty, speak out against nonsense and work towards a more free and prosperous society."

July said a lot of entertainment today is out to "beat people over the head with stuff like social justice" and left-leaning agendas.

"To see the industry go in the direction that it’s gone kind of lights a fire under you," July said. "It’s not like it’s getting any better. These people are doubling down on everything that they’re doing no matter how often the fans reject it."

So, he created Rippaverse.

I'm with that mission!
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:01 pm Newly launched non-woke comic book defies cancel culture, brings in over $1.7M in first four days
July, a self-described libertarian, hosts his own podcast and has appeared on several media outlets as a political commentator. July said he is "on a mission to spread liberty, speak out against nonsense and work towards a more free and prosperous society."

July said a lot of entertainment today is out to "beat people over the head with stuff like social justice" and left-leaning agendas.

"To see the industry go in the direction that it’s gone kind of lights a fire under you," July said. "It’s not like it’s getting any better. These people are doubling down on everything that they’re doing no matter how often the fans reject it."

So, he created Rippaverse.

I'm with that mission!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Trump was right. This wasn't going to stop at the tearing down of confederate statues and statues of 18th-19th century white males..
Founding father James Madison sidelined by woke history in his own home

The globalist billionaire who funded the woke transformation of Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello paid for a similar overhaul of James Madison’s house — where the author of the US Constitution has been shoved into a supporting role, while slavery and racism take center stage.

No American flags fly at Montpelier, Madison’s plantation home in rural Virginia, and not a single display focuses on the life and accomplishments of America’s foremost political philosopher, who created our three-branch federal system of government, wrote the Bill of Rights and the Federalist Papers, and served two terms as president.

Instead, blindsided tourists are hammered by high-tech exhibits about Madison’s slaves and current racial conflicts, thanks to a $10 million grant from left-leaning philanthropist David M. Rubenstein.
Visitors to Montpelier get to see just three rooms in the sprawling mansion. The estate “made Madison the philosopher, farmer, statesman, and enslaver that he was,” the guide said as The Post’s group entered the home — a line she repeated at the end of her spiel.

Outdoors and in the house’s huge basement, dozens of interactive stations seek to draw a direct line between slavery, the Constitution, and the problems of African Americans today.
Hurricane Katrina flooding, the Ferguson riots, incarceration, and more all trace back to slavery, according to a 10-minute multi-screen video.

Another exhibit damns every one of the nation’s first 18 presidents — even those, like John Adams and Abraham Lincoln, who never owned slaves — for having benefited from slavery in some way.

The only in-depth material about the Constitution itself appears in a display that pushes the claim, championed by the controversial 1619 Project, that racism was the driving force behind the entire American political system.

Even the children’s section of the gift shop leans far left, with titles like “Antiracist Baby” by Ibram X. Kendi and “She Persisted” by Chelsea Clinton...
https://nypost.com/2022/07/16/james-mad ... -own-home/