Political discussions
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by HI54UNI »

Some of the national organizations we belong to have got it bad. All their newsletters and social media posts are full of diversity and inclusion stuff. I'm starting to see more people become annoyed. A couple days after the blackouts in Texas and parts of the midwest one was posting diversity stuff on FB and they were getting blasted by people saying instead of worrying about this stuff why don't you worry about how to keep the lights on.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:46 am Some of the national organizations we belong to have got it bad. All their newsletters and social media posts are full of diversity and inclusion stuff. I'm starting to see more people become annoyed. A couple days after the blackouts in Texas and parts of the midwest one was posting diversity stuff on FB and they were getting blasted by people saying instead of worrying about this stuff why don't you worry about how to keep the lights on.
It's a vast over correction. It's virtue-signaling. :ohno:

If you, as a company, want to make minorities and homosexuals feel more included - that's fine. I don't care. Do what you have to do. But, as an electric utility, your job first and foremost is the to provide electricity - not lecture people on racial and gender equality.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

This is really nothing new, just more publicized. I've worked for companies with diversity training since the 1990's. None have said the white man is evil, even today my current company is not saying the white man is evil. They are basically sending a message to people to be kind to other people.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 am
HI54UNI wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:46 am Some of the national organizations we belong to have got it bad. All their newsletters and social media posts are full of diversity and inclusion stuff. I'm starting to see more people become annoyed. A couple days after the blackouts in Texas and parts of the midwest one was posting diversity stuff on FB and they were getting blasted by people saying instead of worrying about this stuff why don't you worry about how to keep the lights on.

If you, as a company, want to make minorities and homosexuals feel more included - that's fine. I don't care. Do what you have to do. But, as an electric utility, your job first and foremost is the to provide electricity - not lecture people on racial and gender equality.
sounds like you fully support United's plan to hire only women and POC as pilots. :| :| :|
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:28 am This is really nothing new, just more publicized. I've worked for companies with diversity training since the 1990's. None have said the white man is evil, even today my current company is not saying the white man is evil. They are basically sending a message to people to be kind to other people.
Isn't Ibanez's example of a white guy getting passed over for a promotion because of the color of his skin an example of discrimination? They weren't saying he was evil but they were signaling that he wasn't worthy.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Loved Grampa Badfinger's take the the Nord 2 pipeline. "Meh, they were almost done anyway".
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 am

sounds like you fully support United's plan to hire only women and POC as pilots. :| :| :|
Um...no. Go back and read my response to your posts. :roll:

Besides - how in the world do you read my criticism of it and think I support it. :dunce:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:44 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 am

Besides - how in the world do you read my criticism of it and think I support it. :dunce:
I would think applying your post to United would end up something like United's job first and foremost is to fly people from one place to another so they should hire the best pilots and mechanics possible regardless of race, gender, etc.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:34 am

I would think applying your post to United would end up something like United's job first and foremost is to fly people from one place to another so they should hire the best pilots and mechanics possible regardless of race, gender, etc.
A compromise (which we’re already doing in many respects is to open doors to training and education for less advantaged groups. What they do with that opportunity is up to them and shouldn’t creep into the hiring process. If a company chooses to, that’s up to them and I have no problem with it.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Exactly.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:41 am

A compromise (which we’re already doing in many respects is to open doors to training and education for less advantaged groups. What they do with that opportunity is up to them and shouldn’t creep into the hiring process. If a company chooses to, that’s up to them and I have no problem with it.
Maybe that already happens. The concern is the best at the job is not being taken. If making diversity hires over who is best/most qualified and that distracts from the overall mission of the company/organization (especially if it relates to public safety) then yes, there is a big problem with it.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:20 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:28 am This is really nothing new, just more publicized. I've worked for companies with diversity training since the 1990's. None have said the white man is evil, even today my current company is not saying the white man is evil. They are basically sending a message to people to be kind to other people.
Isn't Ibanez's example of a white guy getting passed over for a promotion because of the color of his skin an example of discrimination? They weren't saying he was evil but they were signaling that he wasn't worthy.
I was giving my personal experience with the companies I have worked for.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:09 am

Maybe that already happens. The concern is the best at the job is not being taken. If making diversity hires over who is best/most qualified and that distracts from the overall mission of the company/organization (especially if it relates to public safety) then yes, there is a big problem with it.
Don’t disagree when it comes to public services.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Exactly. Race, Gender, Creed, etc.... shouldn't be a consideration. Qualifications and experience should.

But we're living through Affirmative Action 2.0 so...
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

The thing is, I don't think that's where we're heading. There's more of a push now not for equality, but equity. That focuses on the end result, the outcome. We're now saying it's not just good enough for the training and education and then it's up to the person to do the best with that, we're now saying if the outcomes don't match up, or even better, than the representation in the general population (i.e. the disproportionate result) then it's silent racism and it must be corrected. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe there is plenty of silent and structural racism, but it isn't also the only cause for disproportionate outcomes. That's the danger in trying to making the outcomes meet some preconceived result.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:30 am

The thing is, I don't think that's where we're heading. There's more of a push now not for equality, but equity. That focuses on the end result, the outcome. We're now saying it's not just good enough for the training and education and then it's up to the person to do the best with that, we're now saying if the outcomes don't match up, or even better, than the representation in the general population (i.e. the disproportionate result) then it's silent racism and it must be corrected. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe there is plenty of silent and structural racism, but it isn't also the only cause for disproportionate outcomes. That's the danger in trying to making the outcomes meet some preconceived result.
Agree with that too.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

when can we as White people start demanding equal representation in basketball & football? Or track and field? Why do wokes piss and moan about the lack of black QB's when black QB's make up over 35% of starters and backups in the NFL, yet only 6% of the population? Why is it only a one-way street?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:40 pm

when can we as White people start demanding equal representation in basketball & football? Or track and field? Why do wokes piss and moan about the lack of black QB's when black QB's make up over 35% of starters and backups in the NFL, yet only 6% of the population? Why is it only a one-way street?
I still hear people say blacks aren't smart enough to play quarterback. :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:17 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:40 pm
What do the bigots who believe that have to do with the bigots who want to apply equity guidelines to the airline industry but not to professional athletics?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:30 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:17 pm

What do the bigots who believe that have to do with the bigots who want to apply equity guidelines to the airline industry but not to professional athletics?
A bigot is a bigot.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:41 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:30 pm

A bigot is a bigot.
some more impactful than others.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:43 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:41 pm

A bigot is a bigot.
some more impactful than others.
There are good people on both sides....

:hide: