Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by kalm »

This doesn’t seem very woke at all. When are DeSantis and other conk governors going to ban pastors? On account of freedom?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:11 am This doesn’t seem very woke at all. When are DeSantis and other conk governors going to ban pastors? On account of freedom?

I think 100% of the child abuses in this country are a result of adults having interactions with children. If we could keep the adults separate from kids we wouldn't have any child abuse. Now, we'd have to deal with the Lord of the Flies phenomenon, but that's a different issue. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:42 am
kalm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:11 am This doesn’t seem very woke at all. When are DeSantis and other conk governors going to ban pastors? On account of freedom?

I think 100% of the child abuses in this country are a result of adults having interactions with children. If we could keep the adults separate from kids we wouldn't have any child abuse. Now, we'd have to deal with the Lord of the Flies phenomenon, but that's a different issue. :coffee:
Kids don’t abuse each other? You must have grown up very sheltered.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:48 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:42 am

See the Lord of the Flies comment. I should've used "almost" as a qualifier in front of the 100%. Good catch. I went to public school my whole life, rode the bus for almost all of those years, and played sports year round. I'm very familiar with growing up, thank you very much. Odd though, with all of that, I would say that I was (and still is) sheltered in terms of exposure to drugs. Pretty sure I never saw marijuana until I was in college, and even then that was just a quick glimpse. I'm okay with being sheltered in that aspect.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:56 am
kalm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:48 am

See the Lord of the Flies comment. I should've used "almost" as a qualifier in front of the 100%. Good catch. I went to public school my whole life, rode the bus for almost all of those years, and played sports year round. I'm very familiar with growing up, thank you very much. Odd though, with all of that, I would say that I was (and still is) sheltered in terms of exposure to drugs. Pretty sure I never saw marijuana until I was in college, and even then that was just a quick glimpse. I'm okay with being sheltered in that aspect.
Nothing wrong with that.

I’ll bet you saw some booze though. A far more dangerous drug than weed.

:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:08 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:56 am

Nothing wrong with that.

Again, quite sheltered. I actually didn't care for beer when I was younger, I actually preferred soda. I do like beer now, but I don't like a lot of liquors. And I dated girls (and married one) who didn't really drink, so it's never been all that present. Odd, I've pretty much ditched soda a few years ago for unsweetened iced tea.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:22 am

Nothing wrong with that.

Again, quite sheltered. I actually didn't care for beer when I was younger, I actually preferred soda. I do like beer now, but I don't like a lot of liquors. And I dated girls (and married one) who didn't really drink, so it's never been all that present. Odd, I've pretty much ditched soda a few years ago for unsweetened iced tea.
My go to choice as well. :thumb:

I have also basically given up beer and switched to Bourbon/Scotch. I pour or two a week is about all I have a desire for.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:32 am

I have also basically given up beer and switched to Bourbon/Scotch. I pour or two a week is about all I have a desire for.
Coffee black and ginger beer are my go to’s.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:37 am

I also go for black tea (English breakfast) with sugar and half and half every night as a nightcap. My wife has gone with the ginger beers - she suffers from migraines so the ginger beers help with that.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

I drink next to no coffee (unless I have it on a flight with bourbon cream). Pop is maybe 10-12 times a year, if that. I normally just get a water with lemon in it.

Not much for sugar or caffeine. I am a big tea fan but prefer white or green teas to the black with more caffeine.

That said, I would give up all alcohol and pop before I would give up milk. I LOVE milk.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 am

I drink next to no coffee (unless I have it on a flight with bourbon cream). Pop is maybe 10-12 times a year, if that. I normally just get a water with lemon in it.

Not much for sugar or caffeine. I am a big tea fan but prefer white or green teas to the black with more caffeine.

That said, I would give up all alcohol and pop before I would give up milk. I LOVE milk.
I’ve rediscovered milk as it’s a good source of nutrients and protein.

I like tea quite a bit. Just don’t drink it much. Black coffee is super healthy for your liver… as in drink as much possible. I can drink a strong cup at 8:00 at night and still fall asleep in 10 minutes.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:41 am

I also go for black tea (English breakfast) with sugar and half and half every night as a nightcap. My wife has gone with the ginger beers - she suffers from migraines so the ginger beers help with that.
That’s interesting with the ginger beer. I know ginger is great for your gut. Maybe her headaches are triggered by skbetgjbg gastro related? Mine typically have been.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:08 am
Winterborn wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:45 am

I’ve rediscovered milk as it’s a good source of nutrients and protein.

I like tea quite a bit. Just don’t drink it much. Black coffee is super healthy for your liver… as in drink as much possible. I can drink a strong cup at 8:00 at night and still fall asleep in 10 minutes.
It maybe but I cannot handle the amount of caffeine that is in coffee. One cup in the morning (before 10am) and I will be up till 10-11pm. Which means I rarely drink it. That said, Raven's Brew out of Ketchikan, Alaska is by far my favorite. I like their Deadman's Reach and Three Peckered Billy Goat blends.

https://ravensbrewcoffee.com/collections/all-coffee

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Remember when Republicans were for free markets and limited government?

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:01 pm Defeating wokism one Starbucks at a time. Not all hero’s wear capes. Some wear green dresses.

Way to fight the good fight, BD. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Nothing wrong with that.

:nod: Unsweetend ice tea and hold the french fries.

I had to learn to like beer from peer pressure, now I love craft beer but only have a couple during the week. Took to weed immediately from the first time I smoked it. 53 years ago..
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:22 am Again, quite sheltered. I actually didn't care for beer when I was younger, I actually preferred soda. I do like beer now, but I don't like a lot of liquors. And I dated girls (and married one) who didn't really drink, so it's never been all that present. Odd, I've pretty much ditched soda a few years ago for unsweetened iced tea.
:nod: Unsweetend ice tea and hold the french fries.

I had to learn to like beer from peer pressure, now I love craft beer but only have a couple during the week. Took to weed immediately from the first time I smoked it. 53 years ago..
I have a hard time believing you didn’t try weed until you were in your 30s. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

For performing gender mutilation on a child:
-The hospital should be sued.
-The doctors should be sued, and have their medical licenses stripped.
-The parents should be charged for child abuse.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/de-transi ... onal-fraud
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Reed's :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:14 am A little history on “woke”…
In 1938, Lead Belly sang a song about the “Scottsboro Boys,” a group of young Black men and boys who were falsely charged with rape and sentenced to the death penalty in Alabama in 1931. In the song, he talks about meeting the Scottsboro defendants, saying:

“I made this little song about down there. So I advise everybody, be a little careful when they go along through there — best stay woke, keep your eyes open.”

The phrase had a major revival in the Black community, as NBC News notes, in 2014 after Michael Brown was murdered by Ferguson, Missouri white police officer Darren Wilson. “Stay woke” meant “keep an eye out for white cops who want to kill you” and to stay alert to and aware of other aspects of structural racism in American society.

During the Trump administration, white supremacists began trashing the use of the word, eventually including within its scope the queer community as well as Black people. Today, when Republicans use the word as an epithet, they’re specifically referring to these minorities and people who defend their right to live safely and unmolested by bigots and racists.….

When I was growing up as a lower-middle-class white kid in the 1950s, both Black and queer people were either invisible, “bad guys” on TV and in movies, or essentially minstrels.

There was Liberace, Flip Wilson, and Sammy Davis Jr., but if you were white and watched American TV, listened to American radio, or read American newspapers you’d be forgiven if you didn’t even know gay, lesbian, or trans people existed and thought that Black people were content to live in “ghettos” where they’d periodically and for no discernible reason begin burning down their own neighborhoods.

Back then, much of the inability of non-white, non-cis minorities to break into the media was the result of explicit and lawful segregation and discrimination, although demographics were also at work. The country was overwhelmingly white, and that was the result of law and immigration policy.

The naturalization act of 1790 only allowed “white people” who had lived in this country two years to qualify for citizenship. In 1924 we began to allow immigration of non-whites as a result of the Johnson-Reed Act (which also created the Border Patrol), but at a rate that couldn’t exceed 2% of their ethnic population in this country as of the 1890 census.

It wasn’t until 1965, with a heavy push from Democratic President Lyndon Johnson, that Congress officially changed the law to make our immigration policy colorblind.

That law, the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965, is one that many Republicans and virtually the entire white supremacist movement in this country assert must be reversed, because it’s allowed people of color into America as immigrants.
https://hartmannreport.com/p/is-the-gop ... dium=email
FYP
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:26 am

FYP
Thank you. Missed that.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

FYP

Interesting - I thought Republicans used "woke" because its easier to spell that "awake"...goes to show you never can tell
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:58 am
FYP
Interesting - I thought Republicans used "woke" because it's easier to spell than "awake"...goes to show you never can tell.
FYP :D
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:09 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:58 am

Interesting - I thought Republicans used "woke" because it's easier to spell than "awake"...goes to show you never can tell.
FYP :D
:mrgreen: :oops: