The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: The Official "Making America Woke Again" Thread

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 pm So do I have this correct? We now have TWO National Independence Days- this ‘Juneteenth National Independence Day’ for black people, and the 4th of July National Independence Day’ for everyone else?
Or it could be ...
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 pm So do I have this correct? We now have TWO National Independence Days- the 4th of July National Independence Day for white people, and this ‘Juneteenth National Independence Day’ for everybody?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 pm So do I have this correct? We now have TWO National Independence Days- this ‘Juneteenth National Independence Day’ for black people, and the 4th of July National Independence Day’ for everyone else?
I didn't understand the reason to add National Independence Day to it - makes it clumsy.

But, Juneteenth is not just an African-American holiday, it really is a national holiday. Some 600k Americans gave their lives in the Civil War to eradicate slavery (well, at least half of them did). That's a significant thing, and worthy of remembrance and celebration. Juneteenth is a proud American achievement for all races.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:58 pm
Or it could be ...
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:12 pm So do I have this correct? We now have TWO National Independence Days- the 4th of July National Independence Day for white people, and this ‘Juneteenth National Independence Day’ for everybody?
No it couldn’t unless everyone was a slave..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:58 pm
Or it could be ...
That is a narrow-minded way to look at it. Someone could very well feel this is one country and that no one was truly free until everyone was free.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:09 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:05 pm
That is a narrow-minded way to look at it. Someone could very well feel this is one country and that no one was truly free until everyone was free.
No more narrow minded than calling both holidays the same thing- national independence day. That right there says we have separate independence days for separate people.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

So in typical government fashion, nobody thought of the ramifications of cramming in a Federal Holiday at the last minute. In our mortgage industry, thanks to the federal government, we have to send our Closing Disclosure 3 business days prior to closing. Business days are Mon - Saturday excluding Federal Holidays. So if somebody was closing next Wednesday and they didn't get their CD yesterday, they need to delay settlement. Might not seem like a big deal, but tell a seller they have to wait another day for their money, or if they had their purchase also set up for the same day. :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm So in typical government fashion, nobody thought of the ramifications of cramming in a Federal Holiday at the last minute. In our mortgage industry, thanks to the federal government, we have to send our Closing Disclosure 3 business days prior to closing. Business days are Mon - Saturday excluding Federal Holidays. So if somebody was closing next Wednesday and they didn't get their CD yesterday, they need to delay settlement. Might not seem like a big deal, but tell a seller they have to wait another day for their money, or if they had their purchase also set up for the same day. :ohno:
My son was doing a STEM camp through the Naval Academy - got an urgent email last night that because of the sudden national holiday, the last day of camp was postponed to next week (can't make the postponed date, so oh well). Small potatoes, sure, but agreed, people disconnected with the real world making political decisions results in real people having to deal with the fallout.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:50 pm So in typical government fashion, nobody thought of the ramifications of cramming in a Federal Holiday at the last minute. In our mortgage industry, thanks to the federal government, we have to send our Closing Disclosure 3 business days prior to closing. Business days are Mon - Saturday excluding Federal Holidays. So if somebody was closing next Wednesday and they didn't get their CD yesterday, they need to delay settlement. Might not seem like a big deal, but tell a seller they have to wait another day for their money, or if they had their purchase also set up for the same day. :ohno:
My son was doing a STEM camp through the Naval Academy - got an urgent email last night that because of the sudden national holiday, the last day of camp was postponed to next week (can't make the postponed date, so oh well). Small potatoes, sure, but agreed, people disconnected with the real world making political decisions results in real people having to deal with the fallout.
Yup. Good intentions, but did you ask ANYONE for advice before just running with it? :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:11 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm

Yup. Good intentions, but did you ask ANYONE for advice before just running with it? :coffee:
The people running the government are much smarter than us schlubs working in the private sector. They know what's best for us and we need to trust them - they're from the government and they're here to help!

Did I do that right Kalm?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:31 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:09 pm
No more narrow minded than calling both holidays the same thing- national independence day. That right there says we have separate independence days for separate people.
We have separate independence days if you choose to look at it that way. I don't, I think they're both days worth celebrating.

89 and Ganny are bringing up legitimate complaints about the implementation without being Karens about the overall concept.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:20 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:31 pm
We have separate independence days if you choose to look at it that way. I don't, I think they're both days worth celebrating.

89 and Ganny are bringing up legitimate complaints about the implementation without being Karens about the overall concept.
You think it makes more sense to be called ‘National Independence Day’ and not Freedom Day, Emancipation Day, or something along those lines?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Nothing like announcing on the 17th that there’s a new federal holiday on the 18th. If that ain’t government at it’s finest I don’t know what is.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

As if we didn't know that the majority of politicians are full of shit, I give you...

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:34 am In response to the border crisis caused by Biden’s open borders policy, Gov Abbott has announced that TX is resuming building the border wall with 250 million of TX money + funds raised by crowdsourcing.

Also Desantis announced will be sending FL law enforcement to TX and AZ to assist with the border crisis..
Nebraska becomes the latest state to send law enforcement to TX to help deal with the Biden open border crisis…
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... der-abbott
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Seattle ‘Pride’ Event charging white people a ‘reparations’ fee.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-prid ... ations-fee

But apparently that’s not discrimination :dunce: . I’d like to see an event say free entry for straight white people, and charge a POC fee, and see how that flies. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm Seattle ‘Pride’ Event charging white people a ‘reparations’ fee.

But apparently that’s not discrimination :dunce: . I’d like to see an event say free entry for straight white people, and charge a POC fee, and see how that flies. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
I didn’t know one could be an “accomplice”...to being white. :?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:20 pm Seattle ‘Pride’ Event charging white people a ‘reparations’ fee.

It's garbage like that, that'll further marginalize these groups. They want to be treated equally...but they don't want to treat others equally. What a fucking joke.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Sen Whitehouse belongs to an all white beach club. Apparently the left is cool with that, with the D next to his name..
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... p-jim-crow

In getting minority members, well, after decades, “they’re still working on that”. The irony is delicious when the left is hoisted on their own petard :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 am

It's garbage like that, that'll further marginalize these groups. They want to be treated equally...but they don't want to treat others equally. What a fucking joke.
So DBJ has to pay extra? Man that sucks.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Another pedo donk. :ohno:

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:Sen Whitehouse belongs to an all white beach club. Apparently the left is cool with that, with the D next to his name..
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... p-jim-crow

In getting minority members, well, after decades, “they’re still working on that”. The irony is delicious when the left is hoisted on their own petard :lol:
If he was a Republican his response would be worth at least 3 weeks of breathless outrage on pretty much every network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

It’s official HR-1, the democrat bill to rig elections, goes down in flames. And the leftist tears are flowing as they lash out in anger.. :lol:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 am It’s official HR-1, the democrat bill to rig elections, goes down in flames. And the leftist tears are flowing as they lash out in anger.. :lol:
My favorite was how it was racist to require ID to register, only to see the Dems agree it was just fine if it helped to pass Manchin's version.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 am It’s official HR-1, the democrat bill to rig elections, goes down in flames. And the leftist tears are flowing as they lash out in anger.. :lol:
My favorite was how it was racist to require ID to register, only to see the Dems agree it was just fine if it helped to pass Manchin's version.
I'm still amused that we're fine with the idea of requiring vaccine passports, or ID if you will, to do a lot of things (board planes, attend concerts, go to school, etc) but the idea of requiring ID to vote is still controversial.

There is a system of perfectly acceptable voter ID and registration and other laws that everyone should be able to agree on. However, neither side likes to talk in reality, just hyperbole, so we get the mess we have right now.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 am
I'm still amused that we're fine with the idea of requiring vaccine passports, or ID if you will, to do a lot of things (board planes, attend concerts, go to school, etc) but the idea of requiring ID to vote is still controversial.

There is a system of perfectly acceptable voter ID and registration and other laws that everyone should be able to agree on. However, neither side likes to talk in reality, just hyperbole, so we get the mess we have right now.
:nod:

And Kalm wants to know who is currently requiring vaccine passports.