Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Trump Impeachment Part Duex

Post by Ibanez »

It's begun.

Jim Jordan is currently bloviating about Democrats hurting Trump's feeling. His "double standard" comment is laughable. What a joke.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Trump Impeachment Part Duex

Post by Ibanez »

Wednesday morning on CNN, Jamie Gangel reported that members of the House GOP caucus are still operating under “tremendous pressure” from Trump and are still being “scared and intimidated” by the president. Gangel shared a conversation she had with an anonymous House conservative — who said that the GOP caucus currently feels grave threats to their safety.

“They fear for their lives, and for their family’s lives,” the unnamed Congressional Republican told Gangel.

Politico’s Tim Alberta reported that there are Republicans who would like to vote in favor of Trump’s impeachment, but are concerned that doing so will put them in harms way.

“Numerous House Rs have received death threats in the past week, and I know for a fact several members *want* to impeach but fear casting that vote could get them or their families murdered,” Alberta tweeted Wednesday.
https://www.mediaite.com/trump/house-re ... eir-lives/

I believe it...sounds about right for someone like Trump.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:45 am
Wednesday morning on CNN, Jamie Gangel reported that members of the House GOP caucus are still operating under “tremendous pressure” from Trump and are still being “scared and intimidated” by the president. Gangel shared a conversation she had with an anonymous House conservative — who said that the GOP caucus currently feels grave threats to their safety.

“They fear for their lives, and for their family’s lives,” the unnamed Congressional Republican told Gangel.

Politico’s Tim Alberta reported that there are Republicans who would like to vote in favor of Trump’s impeachment, but are concerned that doing so will put them in harms way.

“Numerous House Rs have received death threats in the past week, and I know for a fact several members *want* to impeach but fear casting that vote could get them or their families murdered,” Alberta tweeted Wednesday.

Believe what, that Trump is pressuring them to vote a certain way or that Trump is threatening to kill their families?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:45 am

Believe what, that Trump is pressuring them to vote a certain way or that Trump is threatening to kill their families?
he believes both. :coffee: :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 am

You'd be wrong, Mortimor.

I believe that Trump is intimidating people to not vote for impeachment. Because of the actions of last week and what has been done since he lost the election, Republican lawmakers are afraid.

Trump isn't threatening anyone's family (God, I hope not). Radicalized MAGA supporters are.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:03 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:53 am

You'd be wrong, Mortimor.

I believe that Trump is intimidating people to not vote for impeachment. Because of the actions of last week and what has been done since he lost the election, Republican lawmakers are afraid.

Trump isn't threatening anyone's family (God, I hope not). Radicalized MAGA supporters are.
Yep.

I have FB friends who’s list of people they literally name traitors to the constitution and America include...

Mitt
Lindsey
Mitch
John Robert’s
The entire Georgia SOS’s office
60 judges
Pence

I’ll guarantee you Kathy McMorris Rogers has received death threats and drive by’s since reversing her decision last week.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

This is a complete waste of time. Nothing more than a political charade by the left.

-Trump will be impeached on 1 article by the House.
-The Senate couldn‘t even begin a trial until 1 PM on 1/20, an hr after Trump is out of office, as McConnell won‘t agree to reconvene early.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-BB1cJ7sR
-You can’t impeach private citizens. Notice it doesn’t say “former”
“The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” (Article II, Section 4)
https://www.bringingthemessage.com/unca ... re-forums/
And even if Dershowitz (and others) are wrong (certainly woud be brought before SCOTUS), and a private citizen can be impeached and convicted in the Senate, there’s ZERO chance there would 67 votes in the Senate to convict.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 am This is a complete waste of time. Nothing more than a political charade by the left.

-The Senate couldn‘t even begin a trial until 1 PM on 1/20, an hr after Trump is out of office, as McConnell won‘t agree to reconvene early.
“The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” (Article II, Section 4)
And even if Dershowitz (and others) are wrong (certainly woud be brought before SCOTUS), and a private citizen can be impeached and convicted in the Senate, there’s ZERO chance there would 67 votes in the Senate to convict.
Wouldn’t be wasting time if the cabinet did their jobs. :coffee:

(Although it’s still not a waste of time.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

What could be more important than an empty, finger-wagging gesture to a president who has just over a week left in office?

Certainly not trying to win vaccination race or cyber security concern.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Pwns wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 pm Certainly not trying to win vaccination race or cyber security concern.
Senate should probably come back from vacation.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 pm
Pwns wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 pm Certainly not trying to win vaccination race or cyber security concern.
The House wouldn't have been here if they weren't doing the impeachment. Neither house of Congress seemed terribly interested in doing anything constructive for the people, and certainly not anything COVID related.

With that said, Congress long ago abdicated the responsibility of actually doing things in the interest of treating politics like some weird spectator sport where everyone picks a team and buys clothes (MAGA hats, "She Persisted" t-shirts, etc) to show which team they support. While last week's attack on the capitol was certainly sad and disheartening, what was probably equally so was the lack of statemanship, from anyone, from either side of the aisle, before, during, or after the riot. We're a rudderless ship right now and no one appears to be stepping into the void to fix that.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 pm What could be more important than an empty, finger-wagging gesture to a president who has just over a week left in office?

I thought the executive branch handles those things?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:55 am This is a complete waste of time. Nothing more than a political charade by the left.

Wouldn’t be wasting time if the cabinet did their jobs. :coffee:

(Although it’s still not a waste of time.
I'll give Pence credit, and I don't do that often since he's kinda a weird dude and because he hitched his wagon to Trump, but the letter he sent back to Congress was right on the mark. We just can't use the 25th amendment as just another way around election results or when a President becomes unpopular, either in the public or within the inner circles of government, and we can't use it in lieu of other Constitutional means to address Presidential bad behavior. It's not meant to be some Praetorian Guard mechanism to toss out such a President. I know the language is vague-ish and you could say it's allowed under the 25th, but it was really written for when a President physically or mentally couldn't do the job and either couldn't or wouldn't let go of the reins. Trump isn't any less of an idiot now than he was 4 years ago, and if Pence thinks he can and will avoid danger to himself or the country in the next week then that's what he's supposed to decide.

IMO, the impeachment is the correct thing to do in this case. It's the Constitutional remedy for bad behavior (as opposed to the 25th being for health or incapacity) and to try to do an end run to avoid impeaching was Congress hoping someone else could do their job. And really, Congress would be in a much better position, and they would've even had a shot at removing him from office, if they hadn't devalued the impeachment process when they mistakenly used the Ukraine call as the grounds for the first impeachment. Really sort of pales in comparison to where we are now.

Btw, the cabinet can't do anything in this without the VP - even if all 15 officers of the cabinet wanted to invoke the 25th, the VP is the trigger person in this. Cabinet doesn't have a "job" to do if the VP doesn't go along with it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:50 pm
Pwns wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 pm What could be more important than an empty, finger-wagging gesture to a president who has just over a week left in office?

I thought the executive branch handles those things?
Precisely. It's hard to even come up with a list of what the legislative branch handles anymore other than soundbites. It would be nice to have Congress be effective and useful again.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:49 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 pm

The House wouldn't have been here if they weren't doing the impeachment. Neither house of Congress seemed terribly interested in doing anything constructive for the people, and certainly not anything COVID related.

With that said, Congress long ago abdicated the responsibility of actually doing things in the interest of treating politics like some weird spectator sport where everyone picks a team and buys clothes (MAGA hats, "She Persisted" t-shirts, etc) to show which team they support. While last week's attack on the capitol was certainly sad and disheartening, what was probably equally so was the lack of statemanship, from anyone, from either side of the aisle, before, during, or after the riot. We're a rudderless ship right now and no one appears to be stepping into the void to fix that.
You just described Congress for about the past 8-12 years....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 am It's begun.

Jim Jordan is currently bloviating about Democrats hurting Trump's feeling. His "double standard" comment is laughable. What a joke.
The other thing about Jordan was the stuff about the previous impeachment effort. His thing was that the Democrats didn't find anything. That is not true. There was plenty of evidence sufficient to say Trump should be impeached and removed from office. But he was protected because the Republicans controlled the Senate. The idea that the Senate refusing to remove him from office shows that he didn't do anything is ridiculous.

BTW I think the Mueller report also documented offenses that justified impeaching him and removing him from office. Republicans keep saying this thing about how we spent all this money and it didn't lead to finding anything. No. That's not what happened. Plenty was found, but Trump was protected by Republicans in Congress and a Republican Attorney General.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Otherwise, taking a shot is completely justified. We need to create a situation in which this guy can never run from President again. The Democrats started the process for that. The odds are better than even that it won't happen. But it could happen. And if there is ANY chance of preventing this guy from ever running for President again it needs to be taken.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

A cool thing: The freshman Republican Congressman who ended up in Justin Amash's seat voted to impeach. That is outstanding. Justin Amash showed tremendous courage in saying that the Mueller Report indicated Trump should be impeached. It created a situation in which he had no chance to withstand a Republican primary challenge because Trump Cult members were upset. So they elected this other guy. And, today, he voted to impeach Trump.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Now Trump can, for the first time, say he really accomplished something unprecedented: He has been impeached twice.

Also, I heard it reported today that having 10 members of his own Party vote in the House to impeach him was having more members of a President's own Party vote to impeach him ever. Another first!
Could I ever be a star?

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:26 pm Now Trump can, for the first time, say he really accomplished something unprecedented: He has been impeached twice.

Also, I heard it reported today that having 10 members of his own Party vote in the House to impeach him was having more members of a President's own Party vote to impeach him ever. Another first!
Before Trump leaves office, I just want to tell you I was wrong about Trump being a lesser evil than Hillary. Trump decimated the Republican Party. Nearly every member was afraid of his power and is ability to make people believe his BS, and follow his BS.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JohnStOnge wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:26 pm Now Trump can, for the first time, say he really accomplished something unprecedented: He has been impeached twice.
An equal reflection on the pitiful state of our two party system. I think we'll see impeachment any time there is a majority house opposed to the POTUS. :coffee:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

McConnell basically tells everyone to slow their role. An impeachment trial after the POTUS is out of office? Yeah sounds productive.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:57 pm
An equal reflection on the pitiful state of our two party system. I think we'll see impeachment any time there is a majority house opposed to the POTUS. :coffee:
Sadly this.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Before Trump leaves office, I just want to tell you I was wrong about Trump being a lesser evil than Hillary. Trump decimated the Republican Party. Nearly every member was afraid of his power and is ability to make people believe his BS, and follow his BS.
:lol: No Gil, ruling elites destroyed the party. Same thing happened on the other side of the aisle as shown with the Bernie Bros. The best thing about the current situation is neither side is going back to status quo, and that is a good thing.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Can't pass a stimulus bill for months but by god we can impeach a president with less than a week left in his term. :dunce:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire