kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Pandemic economics going forward

Post by kalm »

We need another Francis Perkins... :nod:
Perkins told FDR she would take the job only if he would commit to pursuing seven key policies: a 40-hour work week, a minimum wage, unemployment compensation, worker's compensation, abolition of child labor, direct federal aid to the states for unemployment relief, Social Security, a revitalized federal employment service and universal health insurance.

Perkins became the longest-serving labor secretary in history, holding the role from 1933 to 1945. During that time, she accomplished all but one of her original goals: universal health care.

Speaking in a radio address in 1935, Perkins explained, "It has taken the rapid industrialization of the last few decades, with its mass-production methods, to teach us that a man might become a victim of circumstances far beyond his control."

"Finally it took a depression to dramatize for us the appalling insecurity of the great mass of the population, and to stimulate interest in social insurance in the United States," she added.

Written out of the history books

Perkins died in 1965, and now few Americans know her name even as they rely on her programs.

"She was hugely well known in her lifetime and when FDR was alive," Downey said. "But very quickly after her death, male historians started to write her out of the story. It's really extraordinary."

Suzi Levine is trying to channel Frances Perkins lately. As head of Washington State's Employment Security Department, she and her staff are grappling with skyrocketing claims for unemployment benefits during the coronavirus pandemic. They're hiring hundreds more employees to help process claims, push out technology updates and keep the department running — all while also working under crisis conditions, many from home.

"It's going to take a collective effort the likes of which we have not seen before, and I feel humbled to be a part of the team that will get us there," Levine said. "When you roll back the clock a hundred years, I suspect Frances Perkins and her colleagues felt similarly as they looked at the devastation, the Depression and the oncoming World War II. I think there's a lot that we can learn from then and apply now, but with a modern context and with our modern tools." :twocents:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Pandemic economics going forward

Post by AZGrizFan »

Lol. Declare a fake pandemic, drive tens of millions into poverty, destroy the bulk of the middle class with draconian shutdowns, create the largest wealth transfer to the uber wealthy in history, then create a host of social government dependency programs to “lift the poor downtrodden up”.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Can't blame FDR for not wanting to share the limelight. After all he did only serve almost 4 terms and be the direct contributor to why a Constitutional amendment needed to be passed.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:Lol. Declare a fake pandemic, drive tens of millions into poverty, destroy the bulk of the middle class with draconian shutdowns, create the largest wealth transfer to the uber wealthy in history, then create a host of social government dependency programs to “lift the poor downtrodden up”.
All under Trumps watch. Terrible. How could a man like Trump allow these weak, effete liberals destroy this country?!?!?! Why wasn’t he stronger?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:03 am
AZGrizFan wrote:Lol. Declare a fake pandemic, drive tens of millions into poverty, destroy the bulk of the middle class with draconian shutdowns, create the largest wealth transfer to the uber wealthy in history, then create a host of social government dependency programs to “lift the poor downtrodden up”.
All under Trumps watch. Terrible. How could a man like Trump allow these weak, effete liberals destroy this country?!?!?! Why wasn’t he stronger?!

First you line your pockets then you worry about them effete liberals - we'll take care of them in the second term.............oh...wait... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Subvert the dominant paradigm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:20 am Can't blame FDR for not wanting to share the limelight. After all he did only serve almost 4 terms and be the direct contributor to why a Constitutional amendment needed to be passed.
good job, bro, never let them see the butthurt no matter how bad it rages through your entire being :thumb:
Subvert the dominant paradigm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Nice revisionist history.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:40 am

Nice revisionist history.
What's revisionist? Hasn't all of that occurred under Trump's administration?

The rest if colorful hyperbole. :nod:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

China's fault. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 am

During Trump the Magnificent' s reign. Face it - Trump failed. He failed to keep our health and economy safe. He allowed himself to be pwned by the Democrats. He deserved to lose.
Spoiler: show
:fuel: :fuel: :fuel: :fuel: :poke: :poke: :poke: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :troll:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:36 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:17 am

During Trump the Magnificent' s reign. Face it - Trump failed. He failed to keep our health and economy safe. He allowed himself to be pwned by the Democrats. He deserved to lose.
Spoiler: show
:fuel: :fuel: :fuel: :fuel: :poke: :poke: :poke: :stir: :stir: :stir: :stir: :troll:
:lol: :thumb:
Winterborn
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

houndawg wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:35 am
Winterborn wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:20 am Can't blame FDR for not wanting to share the limelight. After all he did only serve almost 4 terms and be the direct contributor to why a Constitutional amendment needed to be passed.
good job, bro, never let them see the butthurt no matter how bad it rages through your entire being :thumb:
:?

Guessing your sarcasm detector broke over the holidays?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein