Post by mainejeff »

Go Black Bears!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Who Gives & Who Takes: The Government Tit

Post by Gil Dobie »

Isn't a lot of the federal money coming into North Dakota, for instance, going to support 2 air force bases and a lineup of missile silo's that help protect the states that pay into the government.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

What's shocking about it? A lot of rich people live in the Northeast, so thanks to a progressive tax structure they pay more in taxes. Places that have a lot of federal government activity (Virginia and Maryland for instance, but also a lot of places down South where we have a fair amount of military bases) look like takers because of the heavy amount of federal spending that happens in those locations. And generally people move south in retirement so some of the bigger outlays of federal spending (Social Security and Medicare) follow those folks to where they retire. Interesting that California is less of a donor state than they were several years ago - they're almost breakeven now.

Was there something shocking about this that you didn't understand?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:18 am What's shocking about it? A lot of rich people live in the Northeast, so thanks to a progressive tax structure they pay more in taxes. Places that have a lot of federal government activity (Virginia and Maryland for instance, but also a lot of places down South where we have a fair amount of military bases) look like takers because of the heavy amount of federal spending that happens in those locations. And generally people move south in retirement so some of the bigger outlays of federal spending (Social Security and Medicare) follow those folks to where they retire. Interesting that California is less of a donor state than they were several years ago - they're almost breakeven now.

You could make excuses for shit tasting like candy. Ho-hum.

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:18 am What's shocking about it? A lot of rich people live in the Northeast, so thanks to a progressive tax structure they pay more in taxes. Places that have a lot of federal government activity (Virginia and Maryland for instance, but also a lot of places down South where we have a fair amount of military bases) look like takers because of the heavy amount of federal spending that happens in those locations. And generally people move south in retirement so some of the bigger outlays of federal spending (Social Security and Medicare) follow those folks to where they retire. Interesting that California is less of a donor state than they were several years ago - they're almost breakeven now.

Alabama for instance, with the NASA, US Space and Rocket Center. That isn't cheap.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:20 am

I thought you didn't understand the link you provided. Do you have a different explanation that you'd like to share and debate? Federal spending is pretty easy to understand as it only falls into a few categories and a huge chunk of it is Social Security, Medicare, and defense spending. You're two posts in and we don't know what you don't understand yet. Take your time and think about it while you type your third posts. You can do it!! :thumb:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:26 am

I thought you didn't understand the link you provided. Do you have a different explanation that you'd like to share and debate? Federal spending is pretty easy to understand as it only falls into a few categories and a huge chunk of it is Social Security, Medicare, and defense spending. You're two posts in and we don't know what you don't understand yet. Take your time and think about it while you type your third posts. You can do it!! :thumb:
MJ thinks its all welfare. And the red states are whiter.
Also that we all hate him because he's gay.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

andy7171 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:53 am

True. When in reality we hate him b/c he's a twat.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Both Florida and Texas with NO income tax. Well why would they need it when New York, NJ, MA and CA can support their asses? :roll: :thumbdown:
Go Black Bears!
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 am
andy7171 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:53 am
Says the ultimate twat. Why do you always resort to name calling?

Go Black Bears!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:44 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 am

Because you come here for the express purpose of being a jerk. It's an old, tired schtick.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
mainejeff
Level4
Level4

Post by mainejeff »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:47 am
mainejeff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:44 am

Because you come here for the express purpose of being a jerk. It's an old, tired schtick.
Actually I don't.....you guys just hate having someone that presents a different viewpoint than most of the MAGA minions on here. :thumb:
Go Black Bears!
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Also playing a role in how much federal money states get:
1. Agriculture.
2. Military spending.
3. Demographics (i.e. more of low-income ethnic groups which are low-income groups even in the bluest states)

This "red states R welfare queens hurr hurr" trope was just as stupid the 1st time it was posted as the 15,672th time. :coffee:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:17 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:47 am
Actually I don't.....you guys just hate having someone that presents a different viewpoint than most of the MAGA minions on here. :thumb:
Bullshit! Kalm has different viewpoints and has plenty of respectful debates/discussions with others. Houndy, Jelly and Trip are others. Unfortunately, 89 is suspected of killing Trip and burying him in his backyard. To be fair to 89, he's an equal opportunity serial killer with the remains of Chizzy, Ivy and 93 hidden somewhere in his yard or basement.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 am
Both Florida and Texas with NO income tax. Well why would they need it when New York, NJ, MA and CA can support their asses? :roll: :thumbdown:
Let's talk about federal deductions for SALT taxes. I disagreed with the Trump tax cuts but reducing that deduction and the low tax states subsidizing the taxes of high tax states like California and Illinois was a good thing.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

First of all, what is CA really supporting? Even by the source you linked to start this thread, CA is almost breakeven in terms of payout versus what it gets back. If you hover over the state it lists a few things, one of them being the return on the dollar, and CA's return on every $1 sent to the feds is $1 back. So neutral. Florida and Texas (where the vast majority of NASA resides, interestingly enough), have returns of $1.12 and $1.05 respectively. Sure, that's a net positive for those two, but hardly living off the government, as you apparently are implying in this thread. Arizona, another retirement destination, is expectedly high ($1.48 return on the dollar). Heck, it doesn't take a genius to see that VA and MD, which are pretty much the concentration of federal spending in many ways, are two of the highest net takers when it comes to federal money - MD is $1.75 and VA is a whopping $2.12 return on the dollar.

Also, as an interesting note, why is Maine such a drag on the system? $1.64 return on the dollar, Maine's milking the system apparently. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 am

Let's talk about federal deductions for SALT taxes. I disagreed with the Trump tax cuts but reducing that deduction and the low tax states subsidizing the taxes of high tax states like California and Illinois was a good thing.
The best thing of Trump's tax cuts (and not all was good, there were some negatives for sure) was capping the mortgage deduction. Sure, people had grown to really rely on that, but it was greatly distorting things and we were subsidizing a far number of McMansions. Best to uncouple those long term, even if there was pain short term for that.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Federal spending in those two names states is predominantly going to the Hugh federal civilian/military work forces in those states...

New York, for example, has fewer federal civilian employees and active duty military (52, 633 civilians, 48,974 military ) than Texas (114,170 civilian, 164,234 military)...

And those people all contribute millions of dollars to the economies of their states

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Oh, and those numbers do not count Postal Workers...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am

Federal spending in those two names states is predominantly going to the Hugh federal civilian/military work forces in those states...

New York, for example, has fewer federal civilian employees and active duty military (52, 633 civilians, 48,974 military ) than Texas (114,170 civilian, 164,234 military)...

And those people all contribute millions of dollars to the economies of their states

I say spend on the U.S. military. Fuck the Hughes’s!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:43 am The best thing of Trump's tax cuts (and not all was good, there were some negatives for sure) was capping the mortgage deduction. Sure, people had grown to really rely on that, but it was greatly distorting things and we were subsidizing a far number of McMansions. Best to uncouple those long term, even if there was pain short term for that.
The problem with our federal tax law is it's one size fits all. The interest deduction was capped at $1M of mortgage amount. For most of the country, that seems like it only affects the super wealthy.

This house is listed for $1,699,000 in the suburbs...

andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:16 am
Col Hogan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am

I say spend on the U.S. military. Fuck the Hughes’s!
:ohno:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Or you could start looking at things logically. But we know THAT ain't ever gonna happen.... :dunce: :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:24 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:43 am The best thing of Trump's tax cuts (and not all was good, there were some negatives for sure) was capping the mortgage deduction. Sure, people had grown to really rely on that, but it was greatly distorting things and we were subsidizing a far number of McMansions. Best to uncouple those long term, even if there was pain short term for that.
The problem with our federal tax law is it's one size fits all. The interest deduction was capped at $1M of mortgage amount. For most of the country, that seems like it only affects the super wealthy.

This house is listed for $1,699,000 in the suburbs...

They could save money on getting rid of the ADT contract for security. I'm sure that goes for a mint in that area if the house lists that high.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Well, what do you know, ANOTHER dipshit with zero economic understanding. I can't speak for Florida, but in TX they get their pound of flesh out of you, just in a different way. On a $500,000 home in AZ, I paid $2100/YR in property taxes. On my $500,000 home in TX, I pay $15,000/YR. So, pick your poison, but try and stay out of the deep end when the conversation turns to economics or finance. :nod: :nod: :dunce: :dunce:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12